Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am typically lazy at this stage of the college season, I watch mostly the big games-teams and notice who jumps at me while watching and then after the season I try to go to town as much as I can and watch their individual game tape.  So I haven't really watched too many that closely, yet.  I should be at least in theory much more educated 3 months from now. 😀    

Typically I’ll just watch the Vols & NFL in the fall & then watch the college football season closely over the winter, but the draft thread is the kinda thing a guy can adjust his life for.

14 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Typically I’ll just watch the Vols & NFL in the fall & then watch the college football season closely over the winter, but the draft thread is the kinda thing a guy can adjust his life for.

Your Vols picked up another W today!!! Maybe things aren't as bleak as most thought in Knoxville. 

Side note...... As I sit here watching Bama play I must say I really want Tua lol 

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Good luck to your Sooners!

thank you! Tough win for us today. Today probably wasn't the best game to look at Hurts on an NFL prospect level. 

Murray is a beast of a LB though, been along time since the Sooners had anyone on Defense this good. 

28 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

thank you! Tough win for us today. Today probably wasn't the best game to look at Hurts on an NFL prospect level. 

Murray is a beast of a LB though, been along time since the Sooners had anyone on Defense this good. 

I think this was the perfect game to look at Hurts as a NFL prospect. His warts showed. And so did his abilities. I’m hoping we get more like this to really see what Jalen brings to the table. 

3 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Your Vols picked up another W today!!! Maybe things aren't as bleak as most thought in Knoxville. 

Side note...... As I sit here watching Bama play I must say I really want Tua lol 

Thanks DS! That was a lot of fun to watch, we stink, but I’ve been attached to this school since I was about 3 years old ... growing up in the dmv, I was always a Vol for Halloween & the only gifts anyone got me were Vol related. I’m a convincing case for the supposition that idiocy is indeed nature over nurture.

I really look forward to watching Tua’s games this winter, he looks incredible in the pocket, but that may be based on the small sample size I’ve seen. I had Watson as the #1 player in his draft - I have Tua over Watson right now... but, I once thought Ryan Mallet was going to be the man. 🤨

3 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

Watching the Sooners beat TT down, before they played Tebow in the aorange Bowl, was one of the better football experiences of my life. I attended with a bunch of Sooners & we actually got tossed out at half time for trying to have mosh pits in the stands despite being warned not to. Norman was a brilliant trip, the fans down there are phenomenal.

The bad games reveal the most, everyone looks like a future stud when it’s all clean around them, it’s good to see what caused Jalen to make mistakes & see how he responds to them....though I’d feel just like you if I was a fan of the Sooners, I want our best to be evaluated at our best .. unfortunately there are never any Vols to evaluate. 

We play you guys, again, soon enough.... oooof, Spencer was the best QB in his class — he will probably shred us. Riley just keeps loading up at QB.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think this was the perfect game to look at Hurts as a NFL prospect. His warts showed. And so did his abilities. I’m hoping we get more like this to really see what Jalen brings to the table. 

Definitely, I’m looking forward to watching him struggle a bit, at first glance, the Houston/Kansas games didn’t show me anything I’m able to project to the nfl. OU looked like they belonged in the nfl.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was trying to shelter you from his juicier points.  I try to censure points from anyone who isn't 100% on the Tua hype train but what the heck...😀

🤮

He's not wrong, some teams will probably rank lesser QB prospects ahead of Tua on their boards.  But the reason for that is some teams are just dumb about QBs.

There is no need to overthink Tua.  No need to stake out an edgy take with him.  He is a no-brainer #1 pick and the best player in the class.

Few things will piss me off more than burning up Haskins and downgrading to a prospect like Herbert just for the sake of change.  Stuff like this is what I mean about Haskins being a test for this organization.

Jefferson is such a freaking beast.  Ultimate competitor.

39 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Few things will piss me off more than burning up Haskins and downgrading to a prospect like Herbert just for the sake of change.  Stuff like this is what I mean about Haskins being a test for this organization.

Jefferson is such a freaking beast.  Ultimate competitor.

What if we drafted Hurts at 1:3?

@KDawg must have compromising photo’s of Steve & the ES mods, I find it hard to believe the Dawg got away with his Hurts/Haskins comment in this thread. 

The committee of G10 & Skinny will be put in charge of investigations, Sip is too close to all parties to be trusted.

D1661EB2-C469-455C-9E30-CD80BAE8005F.gif

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not wrong, some teams will probably rank lesser QB prospects ahead of Tua on their boards.  But the reason for that is some teams are just dumb about QBs.

You mean stupid like this mentioned here?  🤣

Actually I am hoping the Burrow buzz is going.  This could be like the 2018 draft and if so multiple bidders if we want to trade down.

The more I digest the game today, I think it's almost impossible to lose this one.  I think they win today, probably beat the Jets and it might end there, I think we go 3-13 tops. 

Catching up on some of the posts here.  Seems like there is a consensus we are trading down for Hurts?   

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

How did Delpit look last night?

Up and down.  A few splashy plays, a few mistakes, on the whole not a ton of impact.  You take the bad with the good with Delpit I think.  He's a ballhawk with legit coverage skills, including the ability to single up on slot guys.  But he's not physical.  He tries to play physical but he's just not.  He gets washed in the box if he doesn't overrun plays and he has trouble bringing down truly physical ball carriers.  He's a bad alley defender IMO.  The lack of functional power manifests itself in him giving up so many cutbacks because he knows he's got to come fast and low or else he's going to have problems getting the guy down.  Too often I feel like I'm watching a tall zone corner masquerading as a safety with him.

All of the big guns in that LSU secondary looked a little sketchy last night.  That was the first game where Stingley looked like a true freshman to me.  And Fulton just doens't look like the same player he was last season.  They weren't seeing routes very well last night.  Playing behind the 8 ball and struggling to stay in phase.  Van Jefferson and Kyle Pitts are nice players but they shouldn't be torching a trio of projected high first round picks like they did.  Trask made some backbreaking mistakes though, so they were able to salvage their nights with turnovers that sealed the win.

The best looking member of that LSU defense was KLavon Chaisson.  I thought that was true in the Texas game too.  That dude has first round talent.  The outside speed was next level and there is some inside power there as well.  I suspect he's not going to go pro this year because of the time he missed due to injury and the two years of remaining eligibility.  Not unless he goes nuclear in the final two and a half months.  But if he does go pro, I think he could end up falling way further in the draft than he should because of his lack of production.  He's legit.

On the other side of the match up, the battle between Henderson and Chase was a heavyweight fight and the match up of the night IMO.  Two guys with top 10-ish talent and truly elite speed.  It was pretty even too until that final play where Hendson got picked and Chase got open for the huge TD.  Chase and Jefferson are the real deal.  I think Jefferson goes pro this year and Chase comes out in 2021.  Jefferson feels like a second rounder to me and I am very much interested in picking him if we can maneuver our way into his range.  He's a true workhorse slot receiver.  I think Chase is an easy first rounder if he stays healthy.

Speaking of Henderson, I see where the top ten projections are coming from.  There are some issues with him that you don't love, and I've been burned by Florida corners in the past.  But he is extremely good.  I can't wait to see what he runs at the combine/prodays.  I think low 4.3 speed is likely and a sub 4.3 time isn't off the table.  His long speed is ridiculous and his closing speed is even better.  The back pedal fluidity and balance is ideal.  So is the hip swivel.  The transition to bail is effortless and he can pattern match with anyone.  He's mostly in zone and he does a pretty good job reading and diagnosing and that click and close transition speed is as good as it gets.  But I feel like some of these quarters and three shells are where he makes most of his mistakes.  Communication issues.  I've seen him just kind of brain farts and chase and it's clear the safety isn't on the same page.  It's a misread.

The other thing I don't love about him is the motor.  He picks his battles.  He's a skinny corner but he is shockingly physical when he wants to be.  And he's got a meanness and swagger to him that you like to see.  I wish he was more of a leader and tone setter for that defense.  They're good, but they'd be even better if he was more consistent with his effort in support.  When he goes he goes hard though.  The closing speed is breathtaking.  He had a play last night where he stoned Jefferson short of the marker on a third down that was beautiful.  Hit that outside hip and big boyed a guy who is a tremendous competitor every time the ball is in his hands.  Henderson also doesn't get punked by blocking receivers.  He plays through them so he clearly has the ability to be an asset in force.

I think the raw clay there is spectacular and he could end up being one of the best players from this class.  But I think there might be some attitude issues there.  And I think there are some reading and communication issues that are areas to work on.  But I'm changing my tune and going to say that he's better Diggs.  And he's easily better than Fulton too IMO.

8 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Strange thought popped into my head tonight.

Why on earth would Tua not pull an Elway/Eli?

The scary thing for him has to be that the three worst teams in the league in his draft year are 3 teams that largely have not been relevant for nearly 30 years. 

Miami:

Indictment: Have sold off all talent, including all available assets on OL, and have zero proven weapons on offense.

Saving Grace: Loaded up on draft picks, and have gone full tank mode. While it will suck at first, if the team doesn't blow it with the picks, they should be able to build him a quality OL, and add key young playmakers w/the '20 and '21 classes. 

Washington:

Indictment: Worst ownership in American sports since Donald Sterling was forced to sell the Clippers. Worst GM in the NFL. Totally incompetent all levels, poisonous atmosphere in house loaded with self interested cancers and yes men, guaranteed to fail. Terrible OL, no proven playmakers, and no 2nd round pick in 2020, nor extra picks like Miami has. 

Saving Grace: Interesting young RB's out for the year in Guice and Love, landed a steal in McClaurin so, there's more weapons on offense than Miami for now (but that won't last). 

Cincy:

Indictment: If Snyder is the worst owner in the league, than Brown's probably the 2nd worst. Haven't been relevant since Reagan's last year in office, last two playoff moments were relevant for all the wrong reasons (tackle ended Bo Jackson's career five years early in 1991, in 2005 a steeler tackle nearly ended Carson Palmer's career, and he was never the same again). Have a top WR in AJ Green, but he's leaving. Have a top RB in Mixon, but he could be suspended for a year at a moments notice. OL is a mess after being gutted via free agency.

Saving Grace: Sneaky good collection of #2 WR types in Boyd, Tate, Ross and Malone. As long as he's on the field, Mixon is a top 5 talent RB in the league. 

If I'm Tua, and I look at those franchise, do I see any chance in hell of them going to the Super Bowl in the next decade regardless of whose their QB? 

Washington: Hell No.

Cincy: Hell No.

Miami: Well, maybe. They don't have proven morons at the ownership/GM level like Washington and Cincy have. But their F.O. isn't proven either. It's just an unknown. 

If I'm Tua, I really consider going back to school, which normally, I'd 1000% never support, but right here you have two of the three or four worst franchises of the past 25 years in Cincy and Washington, and in Miami, you've got one of the worst in the last 20 years, but getting a new start. If Miami landed the #1, and I was Tua, I'd probably go out, but if Washington had it, I'd definitely either refuse to play for us, or go back to school. There's flat out no chance whatsoever I'd agree to go to Washington if I was Tua.

I seriously wonder if this could be a problem. In prior years, top overall picks going to QB's either went to teams that had reasonably competent F.O.'s, or at least some relevance in the long term going back a decade or more:

2019: Kyler lands with a dumpster fire in Arizona. However, Arizona jettisoned their entire coaching staff, and their GM is/was on a short leash. They have tons of playmaking weapons but a bad OL. It's not good, but there's a lot of potential down the road. Arizona, like us Cincy and Miami, has been a horror show for decades, otoh, they've also been relevant at times too like 10 years earlier. 

2018: Baker went to Cleveland. Yes, a ---- show very much on a similar scale to Washington and Miami w/a key difference. Cleveland was a tank mode squad, being built through multi year tanking and on the cusp, the only major problem they had by '18 was incompetent coaches weren't fired. 

2017: No QB was locked in at #1 overall for sure (Trubisky was kind of a reach).

2016: Goff went to the Rams, and the Rams had a notorious .500 coach (who was hitting rock bottom), and Wentz went to a Philly team that had been competitive on and off for some time, and good management. 

2015: Winston went to a bad Bucs team, and Mariota went to a bad Tennessee team, but I don't think either team was essentially mired in an "incompetent HC/F.O./Ownership" storyline.

2012: Luck goes to the Colts after 15 years of Peyton Manning. No problems there. 

2011: Newton goes to Carolina, they were in the super bowl seven years earlier. Solid franchise, no nightmare scenario there. 

2009: Bradford goes to a Rams team coming off 3 straight horrible years but only a decade removed from the greatest show on turf angle. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like everything has completely slowed down for Burrow this season.  He's doing this poor man's Marcus Mariotta impression in that offense that is pretty shocking to see.  Just total dialed in reading and playmaking.  No concern for pressure whatsoever, 100% focus on making plays down field, and in total sync with Jefferson and Chase.  He's having one of those magical seasons that could see him win the Heisman and put LSU in real contention for a championship.

He's kind of a punk like Baker Mayfield, but without the charisma.  But I think that's how he gets himself dialed in.

I don't think the first round rumblings for Burrow are crazy.  I think a lot of what is making him so successful right now probably won't translate to the NFL.  But he clearly has the ability to throw the ball outside of the numbers and with touch and he's a much better athlete than you'd expect.  He's tough, he's clutch, he's seeing the field so well, and he plays without fear.  He could be something.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Up and down.  A few splashy plays, a few mistakes, on the whole not a ton of impact.  You take the bad with the good with Delpit I think.  He's a ballhawk with legit coverage skills, including the ability to single up on slot guys.  But he's not physical.  He tries to play physical but he's just not.  He gets washed in the box if he doesn't overrun plays and he has trouble bringing down truly physical ball carriers.  He's a bad alley defender IMO.  The lack of functional power manifests itself in him giving up so many cutbacks because he knows he's got to come fast and low or else he's going to have problems getting the guy down.  Too often I feel like I'm watching a tall zone corner masquerading as a safety with him.

All of the big guns in that LSU secondary looked a little sketchy last night.  That was the first game where Stingley looked like a true freshman to me.  And Fulton just doens't look like the same player he was last season.  They weren't seeing routes very well last night.  Playing behind the 8 ball and struggling to stay in phase.  Van Jefferson and Kyle Pitts are nice players but they shouldn't be torching a trio of projected high first round picks like they did.  Trask made some backbreaking mistakes though, so they were able to salvage their nights with turnovers that sealed the win.

The best looking member of that LSU defense was KLavon Chaisson.  I thought that was true in the Texas game too.  That dude has first round talent.  The outside speed was next level and there is some inside power there as well.  I suspect he's not going to go pro this year because of the time he missed due to injury and the two years of remaining eligibility.  Not unless he goes nuclear in the final two and a half months.  But if he does go pro, I think he could end up falling way further in the draft than he should because of his lack of production.  He's legit.

On the other side of the match up, the battle between Henderson and Chase was a heavyweight fight and the match up of the night IMO.  Two guys with top 10-ish talent and truly elite speed.  It was pretty even too until that final play where Hendson got picked and Chase got open for the huge TD.  Chase and Jefferson are the real deal.  I think Jefferson goes pro this year and Chase comes out in 2021.  Jefferson feels like a second rounder to me and I am very much interested in picking him if we can maneuver our way into his range.  He's a true workhorse slot receiver.  I think Chase is an easy first rounder if he stays healthy.

Speaking of Henderson, I see where the top ten projections are coming from.  There are some issues with him that you don't love, and I've been burned by Florida corners in the past.  But he is extremely good.  I can't wait to see what he runs at the combine/prodays.  I think low 4.3 speed is likely and a sub 4.3 time isn't off the table.  His long speed is ridiculous and his closing speed is even better.  The back pedal fluidity and balance is ideal.  So is the hip swivel.  The transition to bail is effortless and he can pattern match with anyone.  He's mostly in zone and he does a pretty good job reading and diagnosing and that click and close transition speed is as good as it gets.  But I feel like some of these quarters and three shells are where he makes most of his mistakes.  Communication issues.  I've seen him just kind of brain farts and chase and it's clear the safety isn't on the same page.  It's a misread.

Thanks for the response!

It appears Delpit is overrated. When I'have seen of him made me feel similar to you, he plays more like a corner than a safety and doesn't come across overly physical. This is disappointing, we should see him falling in the mocks.

On another note as everyone has been saying, the WR group is going to be mind blowing in this years draft.

I think the Jets could rally a bit with Darnold back, I would expect them to beat us, however I think we could beat the Panthers. 2-14 is 'best' case. Sadly the Jets may well have too much for both the Bengals and Dolphins. Looks to me like the #3 pick has our name on it right now.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think the Jets could rally a bit with Darnold back, I would expect them to beat us, however I think we could beat the Panthers. 2-14 is 'best' case. Sadly the Jets may well have too much for both the Bengals and Dolphins. Looks to me like the #3 pick has our name on it right now.

I'll be happy with the 3rd pick. Lots of talent at positions of need. DE Chase Young, CB Jeff Okudah and WR Jerry Jeudy to pair with McLaurin. If we can trade Trent for a 1st pick up a stud LT.

1 hour ago, djpapeleta360 said:

I'll be happy with the 3rd pick. Lots of talent at positions of need. DE Chase Young, CB Jeff Okudah and WR Jerry Jeudy to pair with McLaurin. If we can trade Trent for a 1st pick up a stud LT.

Is Trent worth a 1st?? Dont get me wrong I would take that in a heartbeat but honestly I don't see us getting anything higher than a 3rd for him.  Possibly a 2nd?

Chase Young is ridiculous (8.5 sacks, 9.5 TFLs in 6 games), imo he's the clear cut #2 prospect in this draft. I really wanted Andrew Thomas, but I think Young is a player you can build a defense around. He's of the Myles Garrett mold imo, and what Clowney probably should have been. I'm all in for Young, Kerrigan isn't getting Younger and we appear to need edge rushing badly. 

Most of us liked Murray, he's had his ups and down thus year but he is starting to kick in

20 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Strange thought popped into my head tonight.

Why on earth would Tua not pull an Elway/Eli?

The scary thing for him has to be that the three worst teams in the league in his draft year are 3 teams that largely have not been relevant for nearly 30 years. 

Miami:

Indictment: Have sold off all talent, including all available assets on OL, and have zero proven weapons on offense.

Saving Grace: Loaded up on draft picks, and have gone full tank mode. While it will suck at first, if the team doesn't blow it with the picks, they should be able to build him a quality OL, and add key young playmakers w/the '20 and '21 classes. 

Miami likely can draft him and some of his teammates at the same time with all their picks.  He's a Hawaii dude.  I'd think he'd like the tropical weather-laid back lifestyle. 

Archived