zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Posted (edited)

While I do like the idea of trading down.  I wouldn't hate landing Chase Young.  The same point made here about SF IMO would apply to us. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Nobody is too good for Chase Young.  And trading down won't be easy if we're picking #2.  Someone would really have to fall in love with Herbert's potential...

• Like 3

I cant imagine having a player like Young on our Defense. With our D line and if Sweat improves, that starts to become a formidable problem for other teams and keeps a young QB from paying heavily for mistakes. 

• Like 4

Foster, Collins, Young, Sweat, Payne, Allen, Settle, Kerrigan & Ion would give us a nice group ... if I could add Simmons from Clemson, I’m doing that as well. Simmons would be among my top 5 overall right now.

Tua

Young

Simmons

Jeudy

Thomas

• Like 1

This freakin guy again

Oregon State junior WR Isaiah Hodgins was named to the PFF College National Team of the Week for his play in OSU's 48-31 victory over UCLA this past Saturday.

Hodgins (6'4/209) has been an absolute monster for the Beavers so far, amassing 43 receptions for 632 yards and nine touchdowns in five games. OSU QB Jake Luton also received PFF College National Team recognition. Both players lead an Oregon State offense that ranks 24th nationally with 476 YPG and has tallied an average of 37 points per game. Oregon State hosts a tough Utah defense this weekend.

Oct 7, 2019, 10:49 PM ET
  •  

• Like 2

I honestly don't know how I feel about drafting a QB.  We invested a first-rounder in Haskins, that means we have to stick with him and pray he develops.  So any talk about Tagovailoa or Herbert is moot.  If we get the #1 overall we trade down, plain and simple.  This team is devoid of talent or depth, we need to stockpile picks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I honestly don't know how I feel about drafting a QB.  We invested a first-rounder in Haskins, that means we have to stick with him and pray he develops.  

That makes no sense my man! Who cares what you’ve done, you’re always at a new starting point. The roster is an entity made up of 53+ pieces that need to be evaluated by money, current grade & potential grade. Haskins in round 7 is no different than round 1, he’s just another player to evaluate. Hang on to the talent, the potential, the leadership.... anything you like, but his draft position should be irrelevant to his evaluation. 

Now, on to my love of mock trades to myself.

First, we trade Trent to Cleveland for pick 17. We could get more but I’ll leave it there for this exercise. Next, I’d trade #1 to Miami for #2, #5, #45 & Rosen. Miami keeps their 3rd #1 and the top pick in round 2. If Haskins isn’t looking like our guy, and Rosen is steady through the year, I’d have him shipped to us; Even if Haskins looks solid, I’m giving my new coach these two gifted guys and letting them battle, that would be a nearly perfect scenario to me.

Now with picks 2, 5, 17 45 & Rosen I’m looking to trade #2 to Cinci who wants Herbert... I’ll take pick #3 & #35. 

Now we have picks 3, 5, 17, 35, 45 & Rosen 

With the 3rd pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Chase Young

Pick 5 I’m looking to move down, but we’ll stay for now.

With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Andrew Thomas

With the 17th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Tristan Wirfs

With the 35th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Tee Higgins

With the 45th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

*Kenneth Murray

We enter 2020 with:

Young, Thomas, Wirfs, Higgins, Murray & Rosen for the #1 overall & Trent.

Wirfs can play anywhere on the line, so he gives us plenty of options to protect DH however our new staff would like. 

2020 Washington Redskins:

Monte

Collins

Foster             Murray

Dunbar  Moreland     Young     Payne   Allen/Settle      Sweat            Moreau

Higgins       Sims     Thomas Flowers Chase Scherff Wirfs Bryant       Mclaurin

Guice  Haskins/Rosen

I want a corner & would probably take one, but right here I’m prioritizing the ability to protect DH & get him more weapons. That DL should help the corners & having Murray & Foster in the middle would make things slightly less hospitable than the middle of the field has been so far.

We would consider Diggs or Simmons at 17 & an OL later or a corner over Murray, but I don’t have anything in front of me so I’ll stick with projections I’ve seen & grab this group for the purposes of this 1:37am draft post.

63F4874F-8D6F-439D-BF3E-70C5274742EF.gif

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

@volsmet  It’s a travesty the lack of pressure we’ve gotten with the talent we have in the front 4.  Secondary actually forced Brady to hold the ball several times and voila, we got sacks/pressures.  I believe improved coaching can help of course, such as better secondary communication and opportunistic 1 gapping (which brings our ILB play in), but I do get the sense we need better corners.  Of course, it seemed like we finally had all 3 top corners relatively healthy for once (if I’m remembering correctly).  

God I would love that type of talent infusion you illustrate.  

@abdcskins  Tend to agree.  I think some of depth is actually starting at the moment, and some is just getting its feet wet (Moreland, Martin, Harmon, Sims, maybe Holcomb).  Sure doesn’t help that some of our ‘talent’ hasn’t seen the field - Williams/Reed (who need to be replaced anyway, obviously), or missed significant time already - Guice, Scherff, McLaurIn, and maybe Moreau.  As @volsmethas said elsewhere, we shouldn‘t need multiple years to turn this ship around... but of course the FO and injuries (which both play heavily into this) are food for other threads.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Our boys will be bullies:

Watch this beast show out v Houston, *play at 1:37 is just nasty:

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 3

Every mock has us basically taking Andrew Thomas at this point. Typical skins, always filling holes in the first round, and can never build quality depth. Pretty much the reason why we can never assemble a championship roster

6 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I honestly don't know how I feel about drafting a QB.  We invested a first-rounder in Haskins, that means we have to stick with him and pray he develops.  So any talk about Tagovailoa or Herbert is moot.  If we get the #1 overall we trade down, plain and simple.  This team is devoid of talent or depth, we need to stockpile picks.

Investing a one in a QB in one year and keeping him just to do it is a mistake of epic proportions. If Haskins doesn't show he can be a franchise guy, you move on from the mistake right now. Not later. Especially with a new HC and new GM ( :ols: ). If Haskins shows some promise, you ride it out a little. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Investing a one in a QB in one year and keeping him just to do it is a mistake of epic proportions. If Haskins doesn't show he can be a franchise guy, you move on from the mistake right now. Not later. Especially with a new HC and new GM ( :ols: ). If Haskins shows some promise, you ride it out a little. 

The problem here is that this is the Redskins.  Dan Snyder who forced the pick for Haskins is stubborn.  This is not like SM going into Snyder's office and convincing him that they needed to bench RG3. And supposedly if we are to believe the media and leaks from back then, that took hours of convincing. And also why did SM and Gruden have to convince the Dan about a football decision?  We know it is because Snyder is a meddling fan boy.  So who is going to push back on Snyder if Haskins is not developing?  Bruce Allen the GM?  No way. He is Dan's number one lackey.   I think we are stuck with Haskins until the very least the 2021 draft.   

Another problem is I don't know if Haskin's even sees the field this year no matter how bad we are.    So how do we gauge his progress?   He has to play.  I mean I completely agree with your logic but this not how these guys roll. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, volsmet said:

That makes no sense my man! Who cares what you’ve done, you’re always at a new starting point. The roster is an entity made up of 53+ pieces that need to be evaluated by money, current grade & potential grade. Haskins in round 7 is no different than round 1, he’s just another player to evaluate. Hang on to the talent, the potential, the leadership.... anything you like, but his draft position should be irrelevant to his evaluation. 

Now, on to my love of mock trades to myself.

First, we trade Trent to Cleveland for pick 17. We could get more but I’ll leave it there for this exercise. Next, I’d trade #1 to Miami for #2, #5, #45 & Rosen. Miami keeps their 3rd #1 and the top pick in round 2. If Haskins isn’t looking like our guy, and Rosen is steady through the year, I’d have him shipped to us; Even if Haskins looks solid, I’m giving my new coach these two gifted guys and letting them battle, that would be a nearly perfect scenario to me.

Now with picks 2, 5, 17 45 & Rosen I’m looking to trade #2 to Cinci who wants Herbert... I’ll take pick #3 & #35. 

Now we have picks 3, 5, 17, 35, 45 & Rosen 

With the 3rd pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Chase Young

Pick 5 I’m looking to move down, but we’ll stay for now.

With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Andrew Thomas

With the 17th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Tristan Wirfs

With the 35th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

Tee Higgins

With the 45th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select:

*Kenneth Murray

We enter 2020 with:

Young, Thomas, Wirfs, Higgins, Murray & Rosen for the #1 overall & Trent.

We would consider Diggs or Simmons at 17 & an OL later or a corner over Murray, but I don’t have anything in front of me so I’ll stick with projections I’ve seen & grab this group for the purposes of this 1:37am draft post.

63F4874F-8D6F-439D-BF3E-70C5274742EF.gif

Wow. If there was any chance of this it would be an incredible reboot for this organization and its new coach and GM.

Yes I said GM because the only way this could occur would be without Allen.

Dreamers Dream!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

South Florida media coverage of this game

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20191007-c2xx773z35fahn3j46mixrgoiu-story.html

The 2019 season is about doing what it takes to secure the quarterback who could potentially change the trajectory of the franchise, and more importantly, brighten up South Florida’s sport landscape.

That’s why the Dolphins must lose to the Washington Redskins in a game we’ll call “Tank for Tua Bowl I.”

Brian Flores and his staff better do what it takes to secure Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, the most polished quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck, because beating the Redskins would put Miami behind the rest of the field of winless teams.

...While there is no sure thing when it comes to draft picks, after being stuck on this mediocrity merry-go-around for two decades because of lackluster quarterback play and bad decisions made by management, this isn’t the time to finally get competitive. This Sunday is not the time to be bold and daring.

There’s been too much pain and suffering for this franchise and its fan base.

One win won’t heal that. Only Tagovailoa, who led Alabama to a national championship win as a freshman, can.

He’s completing 70 percent of his passes the past three years, which includes a 76.4 competition percentage this season. That means he completes three of every four passes he throws.

He averages 10.9 yards per attempt (that’s a first down per throw) and has thrown 77 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 28 games.

He is as polished at they come.

And that’s why the Dolphins organization needs to do what it takes to ensure they remain the front runners for his services, out-tanking all the other tanking teams, which includes the Redskins and the Cincinnati Bengals, who play Miami in Tank for Tua Bowl II on Dec. 22.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Each week during the season, the FPI projects the draft order by simulating the remainder of the season 10,000 times. Game probabilities are based largely on the model's ratings for individual teams in addition to game locations. The order is based on the record the model believes the teams will have after 16 games, and the order is based on each team's average draft position in the simulations.

Check out the full projection below (updated Tuesday, Oct. 8, after every Week 5 game😞

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Miami Dolphins (0-4)

Average draft position: 1.5
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 72.7%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 99.2%

ADVERTISEMENT

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Washington Redskins (0-5)

Average draft position: 3.7
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 10.3%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 82.6%

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Cincinnati Bengals (0-5)

Average draft position: 4.0
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 9.9%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 79.4%

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. New York Jets (0-4)

Average draft position: 5.8
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 4.3%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 56.8%

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Arizona Cardinals (1-3-1)

Average draft position: 6.3
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 1.4%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 50.6%

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/27468789/projected-2020-nfl-draft-order-no-1-pick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Wow. If there was any chance of this it would be an incredible reboot for this organization and its new coach and GM.

Yes I said GM because the only way this could occur would be without Allen.

Dreamers Dream!!!!

With Trent out, Norman gone, and a few others out the door, we would be able to make a few moves in FA before we finally get the Smith contract out of here in 2021 & begin our take over of the nfl. I’d be inclined to add end of the 53 man roster pieces in the trades, & get 2021 picks, because the discount for moving back a year is typically unbelievable, but that’s what ES war room discussions are for. 

Underrated movie:

496EEB4C-D89A-49C6-975D-7FA5BB19C5B4.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

This freakin guy again

I like Hodgins, Taylor, and Biadasz.  But Sam Cosmi is my guy.  Him and Sewell are the two OTs I have found most enjoyable to watch this year.  I've made it a point to watch Texas games just for him.  I want him on the Redskins.  He is a ****kicker.

Also on that, Braun is ok.  Not a fan of Shackleford though.

If I had to rank my favorite OL targets among the draft eligible guys, they'd be:

1 Cosmi

2 Thomas

3 Wirfs 

4 Biadasz

5 Lemieux

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

which includes a 76.4 competition percentage this season. That means he completes three of every four passes he throws.

I’m glad that was translated into layman’s terms. 

5F63B271-0782-4822-A08D-D0D5941CB2DD.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good Lord, they've gotten married to Tua haven't they?

If that article is reflective of their FOs thinking, then we will be able to rob them blind if we get the #1 pick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Good Lord, they've gotten married to Tua haven't they?

If that article is reflective of their FOs thinking, then we will be able to rob them blind if we get the #1 pick.

Yeah big time. Multiple Dolphin beat guys have said Ross thinks Tua gets them out of their mediocrity cycle ( this cycle obviously much worse than mediocre). And Tua’s hype will also be a mega PR boost.

Dolphins have been trending for years pretty similar to us record wise. But they decided enough is enough and they are trying to reset.

Most of the South Florida press is both ridiculing the team while complementing the Dolphins approach. But yeah they would likely be mega desperate for Tua. 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like Hodgins, Taylor, and Biadasz.  But Sam Cosmi is my guy.  Him and Sewell are the two OTs I have found most enjoyable to watch this year.  I've made it a point to watch Texas games just for him.  I want him on the Redskins.  He is a ****kicker.

Also on that, Braun is ok.  Not a fan of Shackleford though.

If I had to rank my favorite OL targets among the draft eligible guys, they'd be:

1 Cosmi

2 Thomas

3 Wirfs 

4 Biadasz

5 Lemieux

Throckmorton hasn’t displayed much this year? I know you’ve seen Oregon a couple times & you clearly like what you e seen from 2/5th of the line. I was a fan of his heading into the year but I haven’t paid close enough attention to the guys from Oregon & Auburn, though it looked like the Auburn guys really struggled with UFs front this weekend. 

I love that Cosmi tops your list, I haven’t seen him but if he’s even in contention to top that group by years end, it obviously makes our task of rebuilding the line a bit easier if another elite prospect is in the class. I’m going to watch him now, he must not have been a particularly big recruit, I don’t remember the name at all from his HS days.. unlike Sewell & each of the ridiculous OL from UGA.... what a massive group they have — deep too.

Trent trade & a move down would give us a chance to really help DH, Guice & Love heading into 2020. Missed assignments get RBs banged up too, both in the running game & in protection — those unnecessary hits are frustrating.

Its Cosmi time.

This gif reminds me of the scene in We Are Marshall when Bobby Bowden welcomes the Marshall coaches to study his film & a couple players enter the room with Marshall tributes on their helmets. Big Chris Thompson moment, plenty of water in the eyes. I need to see that one again.

A6ECCA90-2AF0-4A00-B357-184CAC04DCAC.gif

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah big time. Multiple Dolphin beat guys have said Ross thinks Tua gets them out of their mediocrity cycle ( this cycle obviously much worse than mediocre). And Tua’s hype will also be a mega PR boost.

Dolphins have been trending for years pretty similar to us record wise. But they decided enough is enough and they are trying to reset.

Most of the South Florida press is both ridiculing the team while complementing the Dolphins approach. But yeah they would likely be mega desperate for Tua. 

As you’ve alluded to several times, perhaps we can exploit all of that emotion tied up in their plan to get their guy. 

Just beginning this clip on YouTube to check out Cosmi v Collier & Banogu ... Cosmi looks like a TE immediately, athletic & thin back in 2018.

Good article here with some background & a few clips. A 260lb hs sr, you don’t see a ton of prospects that light get offers from places like Texas, but we’ve seen a couple former QBs turn into great tackle prospects, the best example being Lane Johnson, a zero star QB recruit coming out of HS.

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-samuel-cosmi-texas-on-his-way-to-becoming-a-household-name/

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Just beginning this clip on YouTube to check out Cosmi v Collier & Banogu ... Cosmi looks like a TE immediately, athletic & thin back in 2018.

This is my read on Cosmi:

- One of those lanky three star TE/OL recruits that teams like Iowa and Wisconsin always seem to get and then transform into NFL linemen.  This time Texas has done it.

- Body type and style are very reminiscent of Taylor Decker

- Spent a lot of his RS freshman season hanging on for dear life, but he got the start at RT and played almost every snap for them

- Made a HUGE leap from 2018 to 2019 and switched to LT.  Was a dominant player on the field against LSU.  Looks like things have slowed for him.

- Improvement includes development of the finer skills of his position.  For instance went from being awkward looking cut blocker as a Freshman to devastating this year.

He's draft eligible but my sense is there is very little chance he declares for 2020.  Texas is building something with this group of players and they're knocking on the door.  They've got NC aspirations for next season and I think most of their underclassmen, especially the sophomores, will go back to play for the 2020 team.

Thus I do not think he will add to the depth of the 2020 OT class.  He is definitely not as talented as Andrew Thomas, I just like him more.  He's meaner and more aggressive.  I like picking Cosmi in the teens or twenties more than I like taking Thomas in the top five.  He'd be a fantastic RT next to Scherff, and I think he'd also be a really great player in an outside zone heavy scheme.  I want him as a tone-setter.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Throckmorton hasn’t displayed much this year? I know you’ve seen Oregon a couple times & you clearly like what you e seen from 2/5th of the line.

Throckmorton is fine.  Looks like he has the speed to play tackle in the NFL and his history of versatility at the position makes him valuable.  He's going to be an NFL linemen.  I think he'll be a day 2 pick and make his team happy for the ability to back up all five spots.

He's just not special like Sewell and Lemieux IMO.  He doesn't make the special blocks like them.  Doesn't have dominant power and he's not pancaking or sustaining blocks at the rate they do.  I don't think his hand strength is at their level and I don't think he shares their temperament.  My sense of that line is that all five players are good, but Sewell is the phenom and Lemieux is the leader/best player today.  I don't know how high Lemieux's athletic ceiling is, so maybe he's like Ben Powers was for that ridiculous Oklahoma line last year.  But I just like his playing style and temperament and knack for getting that tough block done in big moments like goal line runs.

I also get the sense that Breeland is basically a 6th lineman for them.  He is a very good blocker with some real pop in his hands and his reach blocking can flash from time to time.  If it's true that he's made a leap as a receiver and this recent production isn't a mirage, he suddenly becomes an interesting prospect.

Oregon, Texas, and Auburn are highly enjoyable to watch this year.  They're the definitive argument for expanding the playoff.  Any of those teams could absolutely go on a December run and win a playoff.  But an early season stumble against an elite opponent doomed them from being able to get in to a 4 team group.

An 8 team playoff would be so much more fun.  A 10-12 team playoff would be even better.

• Like 1