zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

If the Redskins are on the board and Tua is there and we don't draft him or get a haul of picks for someone else to, I will cry actual tears. Real ones. Big round ones. 

 

I am on the same page as you guys... I actually would like Haskins to pan out here for the rest of the season and show some real improvement. That would be the best thing for this franchise. Build the gd line, get a TE, shore up the secondary and this team with decent coaching changes overnight. (Like all of those things are overnight changes :ols: )

 

If Haskins doesn't pan, I'm holding out that Alex Smith makes an immaculate recovery, but now has bionic powers and he is back in the saddle and throwing darts down field after studying Patrick Mahomes tape this offseason...

 

But barring Haskins or aliens abducting Smith and healing him/improving him and de-aging him, if the Skins are on the board and Tua is there, he's tough to pass up on. 

 

If, for instance we're one and the Dolphins are 2, and the Dolphins offer us a giant haul of draft picks, I almost think I'd pull the trigger on the trade given we have another QB that we like. Or even a serviceable one. 

 

If we're 2, in the mock above, and draft an OL there without trading back or taking Tua I will likely cry. Not because OL isn't a great pick, because it damn sure is... but because it's bungled asset management. 

 

But all of this is contingent on the new regime ( :ols: it never gets old to laugh at the idea we'd get a new regime) and their thoughts on the QB.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

If we get #1, perhaps we can grab both of Miami’s top 10 picks & grab Chase Young & Jerry Jeudy.

 

Trade Trent & we can get Wirfs ... there’s a draft to turn around a franchise.

 

I have no faith in any of that happening. If anything, I can see a guy absolutely destroy the combine who underachieved because of injury and fly up our draft board.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have no faith in any of that happening. If anything, I can see a guy absolutely destroy the combine who underachieved because of injury and fly up our draft board.

 

 

 

 

Httr

 

 

D3C9C205-78C0-47E4-89B1-184B1FA615B5.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy ****.  I'm afraid to say it, but he reminds me a little of Sean Taylor.  The movement style is similar.  So is the man among boys quality.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah, Jacob Breeland is mocked in the first round by that CBS mock.  I like him but I'm just not sure about first round.  He's been producing though and seems to have made a big leap as a receiver.  He is a good blocker, and I kind of had him down as much more of a blocking specialist type than receiver until he started busting out the last four weeks.

 

They use him all over the field at Oregon.  He spends a lot of time in-line but he also spends time split way out in bunches and stuff.  I've seen him in an H-Back type of alignment too.  He also spends time off the line as a slot receiver but that's less frequent.  He's their swiss army knife.  His route running doesn't look that great and I'm not sure he's a great runner in general.  He can shine against zone coverage where he gets to feel his way into seams because he is a smart player that knows how to adjust to his coverage, but I have a hard time seeing him shake man coverage from even so-so NFL DBs and LBers.  He's just not that kind of studly receiving presence at the position like TJ Hockenson and OJ Howard and Hunter Henry were.

 

For a team calling a lot of outside runs, maybe an outside zone heavy team in particular, I suppose he offers more value and fit because of his excellence on these kinds of plays.  And his pass blocking would be nice on a team with sketchy tackle play like ours.  But I don't really see him changing the issue that we have with tipping our playcalls via our TE personnel.  I feel like if you're spending a first round pick on a TE, he needs to be a matchup nightmare type that can regularly exploit single coverage from LBers and box safeties.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KDawg said:

 

 

But barring Haskins or aliens abducting Smith and healing him/improving him and de-aging him, if the Skins are on the board and Tua is there, he's tough to pass up on. 

 

If, for instance we're one and the Dolphins are 2, and the Dolphins offer us a giant haul of draft picks, I almost think I'd pull the trigger on the trade given we have another QB that we like. Or even a serviceable one. 

 

If we're 2, in the mock above, and draft an OL there without trading back or taking Tua I will likely cry. Not because OL isn't a great pick, because it damn sure is... but because it's bungled asset management. 

 

But all of this is contingent on the new regime ( :ols: it never gets old to laugh at the idea we'd get a new regime) and their thoughts on the QB.

 

This Tua thing is really tough for me.  I drove 4 hours last year to see the Alabama opener because I wanted to see him play.   My son is an Alabama fan and I took him to that game and the Orange Bowl, too.   I am toying to flying up to Atlanta if Alabama makes the Peach Bowl as currently projected.  I am a much bigger believer in Tua than I am with Haskins.   I also do believe in the Eagles model from years back to keep throwing stuff against the wall until you land a franchise QB.  The Browns somewhat did the same thing. 

 

I've heard multiple people (even Keim who is very reluctant to throw stuff out there) that the concerns about Haskins weren't just Jay but also Kyle and some of the scouts in the FO.  Hoffman who like Keim is conservative stylistically has suggested the same.  Paulsen flat out said today he heard that most of those in the FO had concerns about Haskins and some have gone south of late about how he's developing.  The irony is the nicest comments about Haskins of late was from Jay himself saying he's close and he will be a great QB.   My point with all of this isn't to slam Haskins.  I like the dude personally and I hate that all this stuff is out there right now.   My point is listening to those narratives is that it paints a strong impression that you got a faction of that FO that isn't all in on Haskins.  And if that's the case doesn't that set up some drama for the next draft where Tua might be in play?

 

Having said that, it would be so much better if Haskins is the dude.  Then you can perhaps get a bounty for that pick.  Nothing would make me happier than him being the guy. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting real frustrated with Allen's refusal to deal Trent.  I get not wanting to set a precedent with him, but he's such an asset for a rebuilding team.  We don't have a second round pick.  If you trade Trent and extend Scherff, you can truly rebuild this OL with two first round picks by doing something like Thomas/Wirfs and getting BIadasz.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what i'm talking about... ^^^^^^^^ Though they do have (3) first rounders, not two, this coming year

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Getting real frustrated with Allen's refusal to deal Trent.  I get not wanting to set a precedent with him, but he's such an asset for a rebuilding team.  We don't have a second round pick.  If you trade Trent and extend Scherff, you can truly rebuild this OL with two first round picks by doing something like Thomas/Wirfs and getting BIadasz.

 

I don't know that you have any real advantage to dealing Trent now. Should have been done before the season. But if he's out all year he'll still have two years left on his deal, should be VERY healthy/fresh. Bet you get equal or better value for him in the offseason. Unless someone comes to you now really desperate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listed at 6-foot-4, 209 pounds, Isaiah Hodgins is a massive man who seems to bring in everything around him. Hodgins currently leads the Pac 12 with 509 receiving yards, while coming in second in the league with 33 receptions and six touchdowns. These league-leading numbers come with Oregon State only playing in four games, while most of the rest of the conference has played in five. Simply put, Hodgins has been phenomenal so far this season.

 

https://nflmocks.com/2019/10/02/2020-nfl-draft-isaiah-hodgins-skyrocket/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

 

I don't know that you have any real advantage to dealing Trent now. Should have been done before the season. But if he's out all year he'll still have two years left on his deal, should be VERY healthy/fresh. Bet you get equal or better value for him in the offseason. Unless someone comes to you now really desperate.  

 

What if he comes back in time to get credit for the season though?  If I were him, that's what I would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys like Hodges and Higgins and Shenault and Smith are why I'm not in a burning hurry to draft Jeudy in the top ten.  This is a deep class and you can get value by moving down and picking from a second tier of prospects that would be first tier in normal years.  I think this might go down as the WR/DB class in terms of the volume of good players at those positions in the first two days.

 

On an semi-related note, Liberty has two top prospects?  I'm seeing PFF give high grades to their safety and their WR.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My son is an Alabama fan

 

 

A54B6F5B-41DA-446E-8320-1EBA38748E03.gif

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Getting real frustrated with Allen's refusal to deal Trent.  I get not wanting to set a precedent with him, but he's such an asset for a rebuilding team.  We don't have a second round pick.  If you trade Trent and extend Scherff, you can truly rebuild this OL with two first round picks by doing something like Thomas/Wirfs and getting BIadasz.

 

These plug and play interior OL are a glorious commodity, I’ll have one please.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listed at 6-foot-4, 209 pounds, Isaiah Hodgins is a massive man who seems to bring in everything around him. Hodgins currently leads the Pac 12 with 509 receiving yards, while coming in second in the league with 33 receptions and six touchdowns. These league-leading numbers come with Oregon State only playing in four games, while most of the rest of the conference has played in five. Simply put, Hodgins has been phenomenal so far this season.

 

https://nflmocks.com/2019/10/02/2020-nfl-draft-isaiah-hodgins-skyrocket/

 

 

 

 

Need to send Hodgins some ES gear, Steve discovered him, he is now one of us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He only runs one route, perhaps he will have a 3 cone in the 11 second range. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png
Bengals

Tua Tagovailoa

QB, Alabama

If the Bengals win the No. 1 overall pick sweepstakes, securing the quarterback of the future has to be the priority. In Tua, head coach Zac Taylor would get "his guy" to build the offense around and Andy Dalton can be released after the season for a savings of $16 million. Tua's accuracy and quick decision-making skills are perfect for Taylor's scheme.

2.

Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

I anticipate some changes in Washington to take place in the near future, but with owner Daniel Snyder the catalyst behind the Dwayne Haskins pick, I expect those changes to be aligned with Haskins as the direction moving forward at quarterback. The first team that doesn't opt for a quarterback HAS to take Young who is the best prospect in the class. He features rare gifts as a pass rusher.

3.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Justin Herbert

QB, Oregon

Miami not picking No. 1 overall and coming away with Tua would be a major disappointment given the current environment in South Beach. With that said, the Dolphins didn't position itself to not come away empty-handed at quarterback and Herbert is the most physically gifted passer in the class.

4.

New_York_Jets_logo.svg.png
Jets

Andrew Thomas

OT, Georgia

The Jets have a myriad of needs, but Sam Darnold is the most important piece on the roster and he needs a better offensive line in front of him. In Kelvin Beachum and Brandon Shell, the Jets have surrounded Darnold with replacement-level starters at offensive tackle and both have contracts that expire after the season. Enter Thomas who has the makings of a franchise blindside protector.

5.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Jerry Jeudy

WR, Alabama

With Herbert as the new direction at quarterback, there is no time like the present to bring his go-to guy into the mix. Jeudy is a dynamic route runner with tremendous ball skills that makes him a perfect fit to be the focal point of an NFL passing game with the potential to be one of the most prolific receivers in the league.

6.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

 

A54B6F5B-41DA-446E-8320-1EBA38748E03.gif

 

 

 

I had to use some crazy angle with my son to keep him a Redskins fan, so after they drafted Payne, I convinced him Alabama is kind of like the Redskins.  Same players.  😀   Kinda of the same thing...😀  and it really took in a big way.  Can't blame him it's much more fun to root for a winner.   Heck I had fun at one of the Alabama games I went to talking to a hardcore Alabama fan about some of the Redskins draftees. 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat Kerwan said today on Sirius NFL Network that there is no chance the Skins draft a QB with a top 5 pick next year and that they are married to Haskins. I respect his opinion. That being said, we would be able to acquire at least two firsts and likely a 2nd from someone to drop down. Trade Trent for a 2020 1st and we have three firsts nexts year and two firsts in 2021....This is how Oakland has done it and what Miami is doing. Should Bruce ever get his head out of his a$$ and deal Trent this month we could have something to look forward to rather than more, unnecessary drama. 

I will go back to the real world now....thanks for letting me dream and share it with you all.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I had to use some crazy angle with my son to keep him a Redskins fan, so after they drafted Payne, I convinced him Alabama is kind of like the Redskins.  Same players.  😀   Kinda of the same thing...😀  and it really took in a big way.  Can't blame him it's much more fun to root for a winner.   Heck I had fun at one of the Alabama games I went to talking to a hardcore Alabama fan about some of the Redskins draftees. 

 

 

 

With these players we should be a lock for a major bowl game come January...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.