zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

3 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Long time lurker here and just now starting to post here 

8AD08C50-3287-4D45-89E1-5B6D82A4736B.gif

39 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

If we somehow manage to get the first pick I'm really torn. We would be in position to trade and pick up a bounty of picks, setting us up to rebuild our line with actual NFL talent and add to some key positions on defense.  Then we roll with Haskins in 2020 and see how he develops with a new staff. If he doesn't progress and ends up flopping we'll hopefully be in position to grab the new coaches qb in 2021.  

Flip side to this is Tua is the real deal. He is by far the best player in this years draft. I've been watching this kid since his high school recruitment and trust me he has all the tools to be great. If I could compare him to a current player its definitely Bress.  Very hard to pass on such a talented player.  Bottom line is we are at the point of no return now. For the sake of the future of this team we need no worse than the #3 pick.  I'm at the point where I just want to tank for the 1st overall pick. 

If Haskins is good, Tua’s not DeShaun Watson, and we get competent coaching/development... the path you laid out is the path towards contention. I’ve wanted us to trade back & give up players for picks to acquire as many #1s as possible... not necessarily to draft guys, but because draft picks are the most *overvalued commodity in the game & people will routinely give up proven production for likely busts, it’s amazing. Give me firsts or give me crunchy gotdita’s.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 3

If we had the #1 pick i would trade it for the highest bounty. Why ruin one QB prospect when we haven't even had a chance to ruin the QB prospect we just drafted?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, volsmet said:

8AD08C50-3287-4D45-89E1-5B6D82A4736B.gif

If Haskins is good, Tua’s not DeShaun Watson, and we get competent coaching/development... the path you laid out is the path towards contention. I’ve wanted us to trade back & give up players for picks to acquire as many #1s as possible... not necessarily to draft guys, but because draft picks are the most *overvalued commodity in the game & people will routinely give up proven production for likely busts, it’s amazing. Give me firsts or give me crunchy 

I'm totally with you,  give me a truck load of 1st round picks and let's build a real NFL team. We just gotta get this tanking thing right but I'm not confident this franchise can even do that right lol

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

If we somehow manage to get the first pick I'm really torn. We would be in position to trade and pick up a bounty of picks, setting us up to rebuild our line with actual NFL talent and add to some key positions on defense.  Then we roll with Haskins in 2020 and see how he develops with a new staff. If he doesn't progress and ends up flopping we'll hopefully be in position to grab the new coaches qb in 2021.  

Flip side to this is Tua is the real deal. He is by far the best player in this years draft. I've been watching this kid since his high school recruitment and trust me he has all the tools to be great. If I could compare him to a current player its definitely Bress.  Very hard to pass on such a talented player.  Bottom line is we are at the point of no return now. For the sake of the future of this team we need no worse than the #3 pick.  I'm at the point where I just want to tank for the 1st overall pick. 

I am torn, too.  I think Tua is a stud.   My head doesn't love Haskins but my heart digs him -- I'd love for him to be the guy but I can see it going either way with him.

At the moment, I love the idea of having the first pick in the draft where the Dolphins likely give up a kings ransom to trade up.

@volsmet

We are I gather likeminded of loving Tua, having doubts about Haskins but would much prefer to trade down and load up on picks.  In that context, what do you think it's the best thing to happen now?   Play Haskins and try to smoke that out some -- with O'Connell calling the plays or something else?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am torn, too.  I think Tua is a stud.   My head doesn't love Haskins but my heart digs him -- I'd love for him to be the guy but I can see it going either way with him.

At the moment, I love the idea of having the first pick in the draft where the Dolphins likely give up a kings ransom to trade up.

That's where having a competent FO would be nice.  They could draft Tua and recoup some picks with some of the dead weight already on the roster.  That way we could at least draft some offensive linemen to protect our qb. I'm all for just hanging on to Gruden rest of the way because that almost guarantees the overall #1 lol 😂

17 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I'm totally with you,  give me a truck load of 1st round picks and let's build a real NFL team. We just gotta get this tanking thing right but I'm not confident this franchise can even do that right lol

Yes!

Even Aaron Rodgers loses without pieces around him.

Even Kyle Allen can win with pieces around him.

Getting a nice bounty of picks & trading back, while picking up young guys who have proven they can survive & play in the nfl... is a dream scenario. This, of course, depends someone developing Haskins competently.

Tangentially — Herbert looking atrocious v Cal should only increase Tua’s value. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cinci’s *chase of a young McVay has proven laughable thus far - I’ve watched each of their games & his play calling is only slightly more innovative than Weeb Ewbanks’. 

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@volsmet

We are I gather likeminded of loving Tua, having doubts about Haskins but would much prefer to trade down and load up on picks.  In that context, what do you think it's the best thing to happen now?   Play Haskins and try to smoke that out some -- with O'Connell calling the plays or something else?

I was never big on the Haskins pick, especially in round 1. Nothing against the kid but the sample size was small and he came from a college scheme.  Its easy to look great against Purdue surrounded by top talent.  I agree with your assessment that we should go ahead and just play him rest of the way. What do we have to lose? That will also give the new coaches plenty of film to evaluate.  

I wont lie, I love me some Tua, and it will be heartbreaking to pass him up and watch him become the next Drew Brees

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Cinci’s Chase of a young McVay has proven laughable thus far - I’ve watched each of their games & their play calling is only slightly more innovative than Weeb Ewbanks. 

OK, O'Connell is a side point to me.  My main question is can we smoke out Haskins to a degree? Do you think that's possible this year or not really.  You just got to ride it and trust it will hopefully work out?  

Just now, DazedSkinsfan said:

I was never big on the Haskins pick, especially in round 1. Nothing against the kid but the sample size was small and he came from a college scheme.  Its easy to look great against Purdue surrounded by top talent.  I agree with your assessment that we should go ahead and just play him rest of the way. What do we have to lose? That will also give the new coaches plenty of film to evaluate.  

I wont lie, I love me some Tua, and it will be heartbreaking to pass him up and watch him become the next Drew Brees

Yeah I didn't love the pick when it happened.  I like the kid's personality and hopefully his intangibles help.  In camp, it was tough for me to get a read on him based on the practices i watched -- he can throw really beauty throws but he also was really erratic, too.

I get he is raw and we aren't seeing the best of him now.  But wonder if we played him whether we could see enough glimpses-progress to get a better idea?

Yeah Tua to me looks like the real deal.  

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@volsmet

I lean more towards Tua being in the DeShaun Watson class of QB, in which case I’d take him at #1. But, I would prefer DH be the guy & trade back. If Tua is Dak, I’ll stick with DH. 

Haskins will make plays, but to make them consistently enough to become our $35+ million dollar QB, he needs one competent coach he can count on to get the little things ingrained. I trust he will work, I trust the talent, I love the guy... but he has things he needs to iron out & it’s not easy to do at this level with so much nonsense surrounding him on, and off, the field.

After a guy puts on our uniform, especially a QB, I grow pretty attached. I don’t give a hoot about my pre draft analysis of DH being right or wrong, I’ll be wrong too many times for any one guy to matter — I just want the youngster to dominate here & stick it to Dallas, Philly & the Giants. It’s much different having him in our team — objectively, right now, I’d take Tua over DH + move down... but he’s a bammer & DH is a Redskin; I really want DH to be the guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, O'Connell is a side point to me.  My main question is can we smoke out Haskins to a degree? Do you think that's possible this year or not really.  You just got to ride it and trust it will hopefully work out?  

Something else to digest here. Let's say we pull a typical Redskins here and completely tank the tank and not end up with a top 3 pick.  Very few people are talking about Jake Fromm, the quarterback at Georgia.  If the new regiment wants to go in a different direction at qb this kid is very intriguing.  Strong arm, good feet, elusive,  smart, smart and did I say hes smart? LOL if we decide to go qb and not get Tua then Fromm is the next best thing.  Do yourselves a favor and watch the first season of QB1 on Netflix.  Everything you need and want to know about this kid is on this show.

• Like 2

Just now, volsmet said:

I lean more towards Tua being in the DeShaun Watson class of QB, in which case I’d take him at #1. But, I would prefer DH be the guy & trade back. If Tua is Dak, I’ll stick with DH. 

Haskins will make plays, but to make them consistently enough to become our $35+ million dollar QB, he needs one competent coach he can count on to get the little things ingrained. I trust he will work, I trust the talent, I love the guy... but he has things he needs to iron out & it’s not easy to do at this level with so much nonsense surrounding him on, and off, the field.

After a guy puts on our uniform, especially a QB, I grow pretty attached. I don’t give a hoot about my pre draft analysis of DH being right or wrong, I’ll be wrong too many times for any one guy to matter — I just want the youngster to dominate here & stick it to Dallas, Philly & the Giants. It’s much different having him in our team — objectively, right now, I’d take Tua over DH + move down... but he’s a bammer & DH is a Redskin; I really want DH to be the guy. 

Me, too.  I want Haskins to be the guy.  But the question is do you see any value to playing him this season/now to smoke that out some?

Just noticed a new WP article, hitting the quandary discussed here.

Washington is so bad that once-unfathomable scenarios are on the table. It’s grown clear the Redskins — one of two 0-5 teams in the NFL — are in the running for a top-two pick in a draft with two quarterbacks, Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa and Oregon’s Justin Herbert, perceived as potential franchise changers. Washington’s next coach may believe Haskins is a franchise quarterback. He may also favor Tagovailoa or Herbert.

The discussion may not be Keenum/McCoy or Haskins much longer. It could become Haskins or Tagovailoa/Herbert. Washington could face the option of adopting the radical template Arizona created when it traded Josh Rosen, a first-round quarterback the year before, and took its preferred quarterback, Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray, with the first overall pick.

The theoretical raises plenty of questions. Snyder influenced the choice of Haskins, perhaps against the wishes of Gruden, and so would a coach who replaces Gruden be allowed to choose Tagovailoa or Herbert? Will Snyder make a preference for Haskins a prerequisite of his next coaching hire? The first step to answering them all should be figuring out just what Haskins is as an NFL starter, to give him a chance to make the conversation moot with his performance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/awful-on-field-and-directionless-off-its-time-for-redskins-to-face-a-hard-reality/2019/10/06/ff1b8614-e85d-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

I'm totally rooting for the kid to be "the guy" and I'm all for starting him rest of the way.  What's the worst that can happen? He can totally bomb out and we lose out and get the #1 pick or he progresses well, we win a few games and depending on the new staff and what direction they want to go he can be trade bait for a team that misses out on one of the top quarterbacks.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Something else to digest here. Let's say we pull a typical Redskins here and completely tank the tank and not end up with a top 3 pick.  Very few people are talking about Jake Fromm, the quarterback at Georgia.  If the new regiment wants to go in a different direction at qb this kid is very intriguing.  Strong arm, good feet, elusive,  smart, smart and did I say hes smart? LOL if we decide to go qb and not get Tua then Fromm is the next best thing.  Do yourselves a favor and watch the first season of QB1 on Netflix.  Everything you need and want to know about this kid is on this show.

Fromm treated my Vols disrespectfully this weekend. 😕

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me, too.  I want Haskins to be the guy.  But the question is do you see any value to playing him this season/now to smoke that out some?

Absolutely, I’d be playing my him every other game. I’d start him v Miami. 

46 minutes ago, glongest said:

Folks I don't care what position you draft in, the draft is not fixing this **** show.

But the discussion is therapeutic.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder what Haskins would bring back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glongest said:

Folks I don't care what position you draft in, the draft is not fixing this **** show.

What Vols said.....its our therapy 😢😭😭

• Like 1

Look at them Colts! Invest heavily in the interior of the offensive line, protect the football, get disruptive pieces on the DL, take down KC even after Luck retires. So many family debates in the W column, it’s glorious.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

was never big on the Haskins pick, especially in round 1. Nothing against the kid but the sample size was small and he came from a college scheme.  Its easy to look great against Purdue surrounded by top talent.

I mean technically you can say the same with Murray in Oklahoma with Marquise Brown, CeeDee Lamb and Calceterra

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Look at them Colts! Invest heavily in the interior of the offensive line, protect the football, get disruptive pieces on the DL, take down KC even after Luck retires. So many family debates in the W column, it’s glorious.

giphy.gif

You forgot to mention coaching lol

• Like 1

Just now, DazedSkinsfan said:

You forgot to mention coaching lol

Terp leadership is undefeated.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean technically you can say the same with Murray in Oklahoma with Marquise Brown, CeeDee Lamb and Calceterra

Dont get me wrong,  I'm not knocking Haskins one bit. I certainly believe he has all the tools to be a decent to great qb. He has a ton of raw potential,  but I think we all can agree that current head coach is not the right man to bring those qualities out

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I cant see us reaching for an OL when the franchise needs a huge boom for the fan base. Young or Jeudy if not a QB.

If we get #1, perhaps we can grab both of Miami’s top 10 picks & grab Chase Young & Jerry Jeudy.

Trade Trent & we can get Wirfs ... there’s a draft to turn around a franchise.

• Like 3