Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

@volsmet - Funny - I did my first mock draft simulator of the year early this AM.  Traded with Miami and wound up with Simmons, Lamb and Diggs.

Then (with our own picks), got Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Kyle Dugger, Troy Pride (should have picked oline, or Trautman here instead), Bryan Edwards, Jacob Breeland, Calvin Throckmorton and Willie Gay.  

Ridiculous draft.  

I ask about Amik Robertson because, given the fact it's February and I'm not seeing him on many draft boards, I'm wondering if he could be another Jimmy Moreland type situation where he falls far below the round you expect.

It appears I might also be wrong about my Joe Bachie projection from yesterday.  I'm seeing him ranked between 150 and 170 on most bog boards, which puts him in the fifth round.  That feels a little high given the circumstances of very low position value and his PED history.  But his talent probably justifies that range.

I'm looking at these guys, along with others like Shyheim Carter and Robert Windsor as good late day 3 players who can improve the physicality of the defense without having to spend high picks on them.

I just watched 4 games of Bryan Edwards.  I really like him.   He's in the mold of Mims in that he's a big guy who runs relatively fast for his size or at least that's how it looks to me.  His physicality is fun to watch but in a different way from Mims.  Mims to me is fun to watch block.  Edwards to me isn't as nasty a blocker. He's a decent blocker though.   But wow that dude with his ball in his hands is hard to bring down.  On that front he reminds me of a bigger Pierre Garcon.

I wonder some about his catch radius because balls dart sometimes to his right and left and he simply doesn't catch them.  Has some drops, too.  But part of me thinks it has something to do with their atrocious Qb who doesn't put good touch on his throws.

They play him mostly X but he played a chunk of slot, too.  Returns punts as well.  He's a good underneath guy -- quick outs, digs, etc.  But he seems to have enough speed to pose as a deep threat.   He has some quick -- double moves and can separate in short space.

If he's there in the 4th round which seems to be the projection from the typical draft geek, I think he'd be a fun guy to draft.   If you want YAC this is the dude on that front and specifically to YAC he is not a mile different from his old teammate Deebo Samuel. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I ask about Amik Robertson because, given the fact it's February and I'm not seeing him on many draft boards, I'm wondering if he could be another Jimmy Moreland type situation where he falls far below the round you expect.

It appears I might also be wrong about my Joe Bachie projection from yesterday.  I'm seeing him ranked between 150 and 170 on most bog boards, which puts him in the fifth round.  That feels a little high given the circumstances of very low position value and his PED history.  But his talent probably justifies that range.

I'm looking at these guys, along with others like Shyheim Carter and Robert Windsor as good late day 3 players who can improve the physicality of the defense without having to spend high picks on them.

I had the same hope of him being our next Jimmy Moreland kind of pick as well. I love his production and could see him go anywhere from the 4th-6th round depending on how people take his size into account.

Here was my take on him.

Man, I wouldn't mind taking Amik Robertson if he somehow fell into the top of the 7th round or earlier if we land more late round picks. I get the Tyrann Mathieu comp. with his size at 5'-9" but, T is faster and more ferocious.

I love Amik's vision, he stays widescreen for the most part and will detach and close fast from his man to stymie hi-low reads and contribute on run plays. He's got great, expansive zone awareness, and he isn't passive in zone either, he's looking for work and a way to make a play while maintaining his responsibilities. He knows what he's supposed to be doing, but also why and he can manipulate QB's with how he sets, although that will be less effective at the next level. He's got great timing on the ball, he's reading details in his man's positioning and making nice little moves to prepare himself for snatching that **** if possible.

He can get swallowed up by blockers, which isn't a surprise with his size, but he's still effective defending the screen game and twisting his body to get around blocks and still make a play. He's not soft by any means. He just plays smart and doesn't stick his nose in the scrum unless he's by nature of the play, the tip of the spear.

I love guys like him and he should probably go in the 4th or even higher if they believe he is the next "honey badger" or whatever, but I can see some people overlooking him because of his size, even with all that production.

@Skinsinparadise Bryan Edwards is a fun watch. It sucks he couldn't play in the senior bowl with his torn meniscus. I wonder if that injury makes him drop a little more than he should? I'm not sure if he'll be good enough to go for the Combine, because I feel like he's not nearly as fast as Deebo, but I hope for his sake he times appreciably faster than guys like Kelvin Harmon.

24 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@Skinsinparadise Bryan Edwards is a fun watch. It sucks he couldn't play in the senior bowl with his torn meniscus. I wonder if that injury makes him drop a little more than he should? I'm not sure if he'll be good enough to go for the Combine, because I feel like he's not nearly as fast as Deebo, but I hope for his sake he times appreciably faster than guys like Kelvin Harmon.

I was a big Harmon guy, he was one of the last players I watched before the draft.  I think Edwards is potentially better.  He looks faster to me than Harmon.  He got open a couple of teams deep with really good separation but their QB missed him.  Harmon is a 4.6 guy.  Edwards to my eye looks to be in the 4.5-4.55 range.  But will see.  I love the attitude he plays with when he has the ball in his hands, he's an animal on that front.  Harmon to me is the better run blocker.  Edwards the better YAC guy.   Edwards seemed comfortable playing slot or outside so he'd be a good 4th receiver type maybe competing with Harmon for the Z spot. 

The 3-5th range is going to have some good WRs and TEs. There are a bunch I like.  The TE position is missing the A type players.  They got a bunch of B's IMO.    WR has it all A's, B's.  A lot of B's I think will be in the 3rd-5th round range at WR that normally would go 2nd-high third round types.   Really really deep position.  I'd hate not grab someone in that big buffet. 

Michael Pittman.  He's a really fluid receiver.  Hands catcher.  He can track the ball well and high point the ball.  Tall, 6"4.   If Jay was still here and wanted to push the fade, a guy like Pittman would be perfect for it, good at tracking the ball when its ahead of him, high points, and is tall-big target. 

He's not overly physical but he's not shy from getting physical.  Good contested catch guy but more from the frame work of being better at tracking the ball than the defenders and or being taller than them versus out muscling the defender for the ball.   

He's sort of a QB's security blanket type, he can run quick in and out routes, he seems body language wise to be confident in running his assignments and has reliable hands.  He played mostly x.  He's a decent run blocker.

He's not much of YAC guy.  Nothing special with the ball in the open field.   For a dude that's 220 pounds he looks a bit lanky.   He's a long strider and guys like that are typically hard for me to gauge speed wise without knowing their timed runs.  I suspect he's in the high 4.5's maybe 4.6?

He's another dude I wouldn't mind if they grabbed in the mid rounds.  He's not my favorite in the group.  But staying on theme, there are a lot of receivers in this draft -- really deep at that position.  Sometimes I have a hard time even differentiating them in the context of whose best.  They are all unique as players.  But there are a lot of fish in the sea. 

The WR buffet keeps going.  Isaiah Hodgins. Watched 3 games.   I recall @stevemcqueen1 really likes him.  Seems like draft geeks are mixed on him depending on the source, some really dig him some don't seem infatuated by him.

He's tall and lanky looking like Pittman.  Some sites say he's 6 '4 some say 6 '2.  Hodgins seems to like in routes in between the numbers -- digs, crossers, slants, etc so he suits Haskins skill set well. 

He's more twitchy and feisty than Pittman.   He has better double moves that Pittman IMO and is shiftier as to getting open.  You can see he plays with fire.    He is really fluid like Pittman.   I think I prefer Pittman as a run blocker.  Hodgins is a willing blocker but isn't from what I saw that physical.   Hodgins looks a little faster than Pittman.  I am comparing the two because they have similar builds. 

He played mostly outside.  But yeah I think he can be a good fit, too.

@Skinsinparadise I do like Pittman a lot.  If he had just fractionally better speed, he might be a stud of a receiver.  
I think, to your point, we can find a good receiver in rds 4 and later.  They would likely compete with Harmon and bolster our depth whether they won the job or not.  

With that said, I would really love to add one of the (potential) studs - a guy that is dangerous across from Terry and can move into the x spot if Terry misses time.  For me so far, those guys are Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins and Mims.  Haven’t watched Shenault or Raegor. 

The next group has promise, but I’m just not as high on them (haven’t watched them all though) - Tyler Johnson, the Jeffersons, Aiyuk, Pittman Jr, Edwards, and probably a few others.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise I do like Pittman a lot.  If he had just fractionally better speed, he might be a stud of a receiver.  
I think, to your point, we can find a good receiver in rds 4 and later.  They would likely compete with Harmon and bolster our depth whether they won the job or not.  

With that said, I would really love to add one of the (potential) studs - a guy that is dangerous across from Terry and can move into the x spot if Terry misses time. 

Yeah I like Pittman too. My problem is I like a lot of these guys and it’s not easy for me to separate who I like better.  At some point I need to rewatch them and try to separate them.  I got the same issue at TE. There aren’t IMO top level talent at TE like there is at WR but a lot of guys who are IMO B level players with potential to be better than that.

I would love to somehow collect another 4th rounder. I know we already got 2 of them but I’d like one more. I think the 3rd and 4th round will have more talent than the standard draft.

One of the nice things about Hodgins is his extraordinarily high target rate makes his cut ups entertaining.  His TD catch in the Stanford game was one of my favorite plays of the season.  Just snatched the surefire interception right out of Paulson Adebo's belly.  He lit Adebo up that game.  Effortless separations and wins in contested catch situations.  They tried playing so much single coverage on him in that game and it just didn't work.  You need to give your CB deep zone help with him, or else just play him soft and trust your guy to make his tackles.  He's a stressful cover.

I remember being surprised that he was listed at 6'4.  I thought he was a lot shorter because of how explosive he is.  Good direction-changer and good speed.

I think he's one of the 50 best players in the class, but I'm on an island with that one.  Almost every big board I've seen has him somewhere from 120-180.  Him, Cephus, and Tyler Johnson are the three guys I'm hoping drop because of the depth of the class.  I'm eyeing one of them with our fourth or fifth round picks.

I don't totally understand the ranking system of these big boards either.  There is a lot of perplexing stuff in them.  Take guys like Neville Gallimore, Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, Mekhi Becton, and Raekwon Davis.  These guys are ranked by CBS, Drafttek, and TDN respectively:

Gallimore - 23, 37, 29

Lewis - 40, 47, 28

Weaver - 35, 23, 47

Becton - 31, 39, 21

Davis - 43, 57, 38

And yet these are the rankings of Jaylon Johnson, Tyler Johnson, and Isaiah Hodgins on those boards:

Jaylon - 75, 65, 55

Tyler - 66, 61, 105

Hodgins - 123, 188, 101

I don't see how you can put their film up side by side with anyone from that first group and fail to see that they are massively better players than the guys in group one.  None of those group one guys are particularly good players.  They're probably not going to do anything in the NFL.  They're the ones who should be late round flyers that you take a chance on because they're big or do maybe one thing interesting and maybe you can find a role for them.  Whereas Jaylon and Tyler Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins were bonafide stars who dominated the college level.  Guys like them should be low hanging fruit because you don't have to make as much of a projection with them.

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, it's interesting, but I'm not buying it.

My dream scenario would be if Miami traded us 5 (1) and 18 (1) along with 39 (2) and 56 (2) and then we trade 5 and 18 to Detroit to move back up to 3. We still end up with Chase Young plus pick up 2- 2nd round picks. Guess it depends how desperate Miami is. It's a lot but I don't think it's crazy as they would still get Tua plus also have a 1st at #26. Detroit moves back 2 spots plus picks up and extra 1st at #18. 

Table below is proof of what @Skinsinparadise has been saying.  

Embarrassing.  This is why you draft Young.

1st team All-Pros by team from 2010-2019:

Team 1st Team All-Pro Players Total 1st Team All-Pros
Baltimore Ravens 13 19
Pittsburgh Steelers 9 17
New England Patriots 10 16
Los Angeles Rams 8 16
Kansas City Chiefs 10 15
San Francisco 49ers 9 15
Seattle Seahawks 7 15
Carolina Panthers 8 14
Dallas Cowboys 9 13
New Orleans Saints 8 11
Houston Texans 5 11
Philadelphia Eagles 6 10
Chicago Bears 9 9
Minnesota Vikings 7 9
Denver Broncos 6 9
Arizona Cardinals 5 8
Detroit Lions 4 8
Atlanta Falcons 6 7
Indianapolis Colts 6 7
Green Bay Packers 5 6
Cleveland Browns 2 6
Los Angeles Chargers 4 5
New York Jets 4 5
Oakland Raiders 4 5
Cincinnati Bengals 3 4
Buffalo Bills 3 3
Jacksonville Jaguars 3 3
Miami Dolphins 3 3
New York Giants 3 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 3 3
Tennessee Titans 3 3
Washington Redskins 0 0
Average 5.8 8.6

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Right now I’d bet he goes in round 5 because he’s tiny. I’m a big fan of Amik. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't totally understand the ranking system of these big boards either.  There is a lot of perplexing stuff in them.  Take guys like Neville Gallimore, Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, Mekhi Becton, and Raekwon Davis.  These guys are ranked by CBS, Drafttek, and TDN respectively:

Gallimore - 23, 37, 29

Lewis - 40, 47, 28

Weaver - 35, 23, 47

Becton - 31, 39, 21

Davis - 43, 57, 38

And yet these are the rankings of Jaylon Johnson, Tyler Johnson, and Isaiah Hodgins on those boards:

Jaylon - 75, 65, 55

Tyler - 66, 61, 105

Hodgins - 123, 188, 101

I don't see how you can put their film up side by side with anyone from that first group and fail to see that they are massively better players than the guys in group one.  None of those group one guys are particularly good players.  They're probably not going to do anything in the NFL.  They're the ones who should be late round flyers that you take a chance on because they're big or do maybe one thing interesting and maybe you can find a role for them.  Whereas Jaylon and Tyler Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins were bonafide stars who dominated the college level.  Guys like them should be low hanging fruit because you don't have to make as much of a projection with them.

I love Lewis & Weaver. 😕

Archived