Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

In what round should we expect Cushenberry to be drafted. On another note, sounds like Trautman might climb out of our range. 

I just don’t want anymore Apke’s or Ryan Andersons. Please just take people that have sufficient athletic traits and production. 

I like Kyle Smith, but he might be overrated. I honestly think that the top 5 posters here could collaborate to draft better. We would have taken Derwin James and I was pounding the damned table for Maurice Hurst. Think about how much better this team looks with Derwin James, Maurice Hurst and Tim Settle instead of Payne, Geron Christian and Tim Settle. 

43 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The team trading with us would inform us of who they were selecting. 

And we would have no way of knowing if they were lying to us or not, as far as I'm aware...unless there were something on paper. "If you trade up and draft Chase Young instead of Tua we literally get your entire 2021 draft. 

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And we would have no way of knowing if they were lying to us or not, as far as I'm aware...unless there were something on paper. "If you trade up and draft Chase Young instead of Tua we literally get your entire 2021 draft. 

The only team I can see offering us enough to trade up and draft Young would be the Raiders. They have the picks needed to make a great offer and they may think he's a guy they have to have. I can't see Miami not getting a QB in this draft and I don't think any other team has enough to offer us. Detroit could also make a play but we would know if they intend to take Young or not before making such a deal. Like you say, we'd need to get it in writing from them that if they do take Young the deal turns into their entire draft plus their 1st next year. 

20 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Like you say, we'd need to get it in writing from them that if they do take Young the deal turns into their entire draft plus their 1st next year. 

Can you really do that?  I've never heard of it, and it just seems illegal. Borderline collusion?

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Can you really do that?  I've never heard of it, and it just seems illegal. Borderline collusion?

Would be different than conditions added to trades? Like team A trades team B a 1st round pick for Player X. If Player X plays half the games team B also receives a conditional 3rd round pick. 

No team in the NFL is going to lie about intent when making a trade. 

Smoke screens all day, but they wouldn’t lie about taking a player or not. It’s essentially career suicide once you get fired. And at some point, when you’re in the game of football, you’re going to get fired and likely want a new position.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Smoke screens all day, but they wouldn’t lie about taking a player or not. It’s essentially career suicide once you get fired. And at some point, when you’re in the game of football, you’re going to get fired and likely want a new position.

All of this. If we swap with Detroit it’s knowing we will get Chase. Which is why the price to swap picks isn’t that high. Because we aren’t trading with them over a more lucrative trade back. We still get Chase. In any other draft I’d say it is a dumb trade and you try and get 5/18 from Miami. But this year is a lone exception in that you want Chase > draft haul but could settle for an extra 3 and 4 if the right situation presented itself to jump back 1 

10 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Would be different than conditions added to trades? Like team A trades team B a 1st round pick for Player X. If Player X plays half the games team B also receives a conditional 3rd round pick. 

Good point, just never thought that was an option.  It would be great if it was, but also think once we make them guarantee that we lose a lot of leverage.

9 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The most undervalued thing in the NFL IMO is rotational depth. You need quality depth on the DL to rotate through and last a whole game.

Now, you can definitely have those depth pieces be guys like Settle, but if your backup End and DT is Allen and Kerrigan, who would start on almost every other team, that's a massive, massive strength. Your DL will be rested all game long. Not to mention the insurance on injuries. It will only be sustainable for 2 or so years, so we should take advantage.

That's fair. I just think getting something back that could last more than 2 years is worth considering. Either way works, I suppose.

I just watched a couple of Jefferson's games because of his senior bowl hype today.   I like him. 

He has really good separation skills, really quick feet and can change directions fast.  (granted for the most part he wasn't pressed).  He did a number on LSU's defense in one of the games I watched albeit he started slow.  He played mostly X, some slot.    He's all over the field.  They threw him screens, shallow crossers, sort of intermediate comeback routes.    His quick feet, wiggle, separation skills I think make him a good red zone threat.  He has good size, he's tall but could use some upper body muscle and by the look of him he's got good speed, too. 

I didn't see much deep but he has the speed and hands i think to be a threat in that fashion, too.  His QB wasn't that hot.  I can imagine that dude putting up monster numbers with a Burrow or Tua type. 

He's also a good run blocker but was lazy with it at times.   another dude, I'd be happy with in the third round if he is still there.  We need to collect third round picks!  😀 He's getting early McLaurin 2019 senior bowl kind of hype for similar reasons -- polished, runs good routes, well rounded, smart and is winning thus far his matchups.   He looks fast but not McLaurin level fast but brings a little more size.

With the caveat that these names will move up and down the draft board in the next 3 months but I wanted to see what sort of players/positions we could get if we managed to pick-swap with Detroit. I know this is just a rumor that kind of ran rampant on scenarios today, but it's definitely a nice haul. Adding a 3rd and 4th really gives us flexibility to address multiple positions. So while we would lack a 2nd rounder, we would have picks 2 and 3 in Round 3 and 4 ... plus a late 4th and pick 2 in the 5th.

1.3: Chase Young, DE Ohio State

3.2: Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming

3.3: Lloyd Cushenberry, G/C LSU

4.2: KJ Hill, WR Ohio State

4.3: Harrison Bryant, TE FAU

4.38: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

5.2: Anthony McFarland, RB Maryland

7.2: Steven Montez, QB Colorado

7.15: Dane Jackson, CB Pitt

Having the extra early 3rd and early 4th would be prime position for snagging depth at WR and TE and even allows you to double-dip at WR if the talent presents itself.

28 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:
  • Van Jefferson is my poor mans terry McLaurin of this year. Not surprised at all that he’s showing out. 

He doesn’t have terry’s speed though. He’s more in the 4.56 40 range. I’ve seen him comped to JuJu Smith-Schuster on some sites. 

Ironic you say that I just added to my clips of him -- some of my own assessment and I threw in McLaurin in that mix. 

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Logan Wilson will probably rise to the late 1st / 2nd by draft day unless he tanks the combine

Yep both those guys actually. Wilson and Cushenberry could end up being late 1st or early 2nd round types. Just fun to see for now. The value in adding an early 3rd and 4th gives us some strong flexibility

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was absolutely hapless against LSU.  He was sharing the field with other future NFL guys and didn't even remotely look like he belonged.  With Daniel Jones, I could see the core of a starting caliber NFL QB.  With Love, I see a long term project just to get to the point where you trust him to start.  All over the map is exactly what I see in his throws and decisions.

Man, the team that drafts him in the first is making a massive leap of faith.  The arm and the release are all well and good, but he's spraying that ball and he's not setting up for anything.  He's just not giving you good reps.  He is not a good enough player to be trying to do the Mahomes drill.  And that's just the basic mechanical and throwing issues that are holding everything up.  Not even getting into the issues with reading and decision-making.  Suffice to say there is too much of a disconnect between what he sees and what he's deciding to do.

Natural talent isn't enough to hold down a starting QB job at the next level.  He's got such a long way to go before he is a good quarterback, I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not only that, you'd never be able to make a trade or get a tough contract negotiation done again.  Your word would be useless.

It’s still really early in the draft process for me, but I think we’re looking at a lot of talent likely available with our 4 picks in the 3rd-5th rounds.  Sure wish we had more picks!

TE class is growing on me, seems almost a bit like last year minus Hockenson and Fant - ie some solid options/risers in the 2nd through middle rounds.  I understand our plan of going to FA for a TE, but I hope we land a guy to develop as well.  

Receiver group is ridiculously deep, and speaking of which, a guy that can separate and has big hands - like Proche - is my kind of receiver.  The kind of guy a qb goes to in clutch situations.  Really like the look of the Jeffersons, Pittman, Hill, D. Smith, etc.  

I’ve heard good things about interior oline as well.  

Not so sure about the corner, FS and linebacker groups (just based on what I’ve heard, I could be way wrong), but I expect us to add the former two via FA anyway.  

A versatile weapon out of the backfield - a McCaffrey-lite - would be a welcome addition to the team as well.  Seems like there are at least a few of those types from what little I’ve seen.  

- Kinlaw is such an unbelievably wide body for carrying so little bad bulk.  His arms are as big as a fairly large man's legs.  He is a John Henderson clone.  "The Mountain That Runs."  I think him, Chase, and Simmons are some of the most interesting freak of nature players that have come out in years.  Top ten is definitely achievable for him.  Young, Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Brown, and Kinlaw makes this first round DL crop very respectable.  But to me, it feels like there is a big cliff after those five get picked.  That said, there are some interesting late round projects out there.  The Auburn guys are pretty good.  Nick Coe is a dummy for how he handled himself this year and then declaring early, but he is a fascinatingly toolsy project.  Take him in the seventh round and make something out of him.  If he can take football seriously, he could end up being a massively better pro player than he was in college.  His natural talent is high end.

- Robert Windsor absolutely destroyed Iowa this season.  Was the best player on a field in that game--a field shared by Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Wirffs, Parsons, and Jackson.  It was a bit of a one-off, he's clearly not as good as he was in that freakish game.  But it shows you the gear he can reach when everything is clicking for him.  Much more than the some of his parts.  Much better than his pedigree suggests.  I like that tweeter's Matt Ioannidis comparison.  That kind of career wouldn't shock me for the dude.  Some team is going to get a day three steal with him I think.

- I absolutely love Anfernee Jennings.  He's my favorite linebacker in the class after Simmons.  Not a super clean fit in a new 4-3 scheme and I think he's going to go to high for us to draft him.  But you never know.  He's like a second round talent who might go in the middle rounds because of his injury history.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

And we would have no way of knowing if they were lying to us or not

There is no chance the team trading up with us would be deceptive about the player they planned on selecting.

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

All of this. If we swap with Detroit it’s knowing we will get Chase. Which is why the price to swap picks isn’t that high. Because we aren’t trading with them over a more lucrative trade back. We still get Chase. In any other draft I’d say it is a dumb trade and you try and get 5/18 from Miami. But this year is a lone exception in that you want Chase > draft haul but could settle for an extra 3 and 4 if the right situation presented itself to jump back 1 

We knew Houston was drafting Fuller when we traded back a spot with them & selected Doctson. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just watched a couple of Jefferson's games because of his senior bowl hype today.   I like him. 

He has really good separation skills, really quick feet and can change directions fast.  (granted for the most part he wasn't pressed).  He did a number on LSU's defense in one of the games I watched albeit he started slow.  He played mostly X, some slot.    He's all over the field.  They threw him screens, shallow crossers, sort of intermediate comeback routes.    His quick feet, wiggle, separation skills I think make him a good red zone threat.  He has good size, he's tall but could use some upper body muscle and by the look of him he's got good speed, too. 

I didn't see much deep but he has the speed and hands i think to be a threat in that fashion, too.  His QB wasn't that hot.  I can imagine that dude putting up monster numbers with a Burrow or Tua type. 

He's also a good run blocker but was lazy with it at times.   another dude, I'd be happy with in the third round if he is still there.  We need to collect third round picks!  😀 He's getting early McLaurin 2019 senior bowl kind of hype for similar reasons -- polished, runs good routes, well rounded, smart and is winning thus far his matchups.   He looks fast but not McLaurin level fast but brings a little more size.

Huge talent coming out of the state of Tennessee, but has had his fair share of issues throughout his young life.

Archived