Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

PFF which swears by its offensive line ratings more than any other position ranks us at 13 without Trent.  I know its chic to some to say let Scherff leave.  But with all our cap space but thought is that would be penny wise but pound foolish.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

13. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Redskins’ offensive line was operating without its best player all season, as Trent Williams sat out, but the group still managed to finish among the top half of the league in our rankings, led by Brandon Scherff before his season-ending injury. Scherff was a force to be reckoned with in the run game this season. His 76.3 run-blocking grade ranked fifth among all qualifying guards.

37 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

If RIvera/Del Rio prefer a 4-3, I think we need to think about a monster middle Linebacker at some point. If not through the draft, then through free agency. 

I dont know much but I think Mosley is expected to go around our 3rd rounder.

Holy crap, McLaurin with an 86.5 receiving grade. That's nuts for a rookie, especially a 3rd rounder, as well as for a guy on a team with a cluster**** situation at QB this season. I think we may have gotten the steal of the draft with him. Dude is looking to be a legit superstar. Especially if Haskins continues to improve. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The most I think we can get for #2 is a second first round pick and a mid-rounder like a third.  Tua's health situation will keep a team from giving up a ton in trade to get him as no one will want to go that far out on a limb for a player with his injury history.

Everyone in the world is saying that you can basically lock in Joe Burrow to Cincy at #1.  That's a done deal.  There just isn't going to be enough value in a trade down to make it worth it to pass on Chase Young.

Agree. If there were 2 top QBs available then we would get big time offers but with Tua up in the air, no dice. You can prob get Tua without trading up.

37 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Agree. If there were 2 top QBs available then we would get big time offers but with Tua up in the air, no dice. You can prob get Tua without trading up.

There’s a ton of time for things to change before the draft. It happens every year. People are writing odd Tua now but it wasn’t long ago he was a generational sure fire #1 pick. If he has a good pre-draft and Herbert does as well you’ll see plenty of teams interested in staking their claim in the #2 QB. Dolphins at 5, Chargers at 6, Panthers at 7 all could go QB. Only Dolphins have multiple early picks to offer this year. The rest IMO would have to be 1-2-3 and a future 1. Miami would have to give us 1-1-2 probably. 

10 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Raiders may look to replace Carr. I would take, 14,18,36 and a next year second. Plenty of good players will be available. I like a lot of players in that range and if we can hit on 3-4 picks that would be great. 

Too far to trade down imo.

IF I were to trade out of #2 I need another pick within the top 10.

(Personally, I'm running to the podium and selecting Chase)

10 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

If RIvera/Del Rio prefer a 4-3, I think we need to think about a monster middle Linebacker at some point. If not through the draft, then through free agency. 

This off season I am more worried about adding an good OLB for the 4-3.   I feel like Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, and Bostic if he is back are serviceable at MLB.   Long term I would like to upgrade the position, but short term (this off season) it feels like we have bigger holes to fill.

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There’s a ton of time for things to change before the draft. It happens every year. People are writing odd Tua now but it wasn’t long ago he was a generational sure fire #1 pick. If he has a good pre-draft and Herbert does as well you’ll see plenty of teams interested in staking their claim in the #2 QB. Dolphins at 5, Chargers at 6, Panthers at 7 all could go QB. Only Dolphins have multiple early picks to offer this year. The rest IMO would have to be 1-2-3 and a future 1. Miami would have to give us 1-1-2 probably. 

I don't think Tua is even walking right now.  He has a serious rehab in front of him.  I doubt he gets the chance to blow teams away in a workout before the draft.  And Herbert is simply not good enough for a team to sell the farm to get to #2 for him.  A team can sit tight at 5 or 6 or 7 and get him.  Haskins was a far better prospect than him and we got him at 15 and that was a weaker too ten than this year's.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am headed to the Alamo Bowl tomorrow, anyone you think worthwhile on Michigan this year?   I have paid little attention to them. 

Citrus bowl right?  Not really to be honest.  Their rush linebacker Josh Uche #6 is their highest regarded prospect.  Their guards and center are NFL draft picks and Runyan Jr might get drafted too, so I suppose watch their OL match ups against the Bama front.   Peoples-Jones was a top ten recruit I think, and Nick Collins should get drafted somewhere although I think both need to go back for their senior years.  In the secondary, Metellus and Lavert Hill are their two best guys, Hill should get drafted.

But I doubt they blow you away with anyone this year. 

I saw that Terrell Lewis and Trevon Diggs are sitting the game out.  Everyone else should be playing.  I think they got some bad advice, as they're both borderline first rounders.  I don't believe for a minute that Jeudy doesn't deserve to go in the top 15.  But teams are usually pretty conservative in their advice that they give to underclassmen about their draft grades.  However I could see Ruggs, Leatherwood, and Wills all legit getting graded outside the top 15, even though I think Riggs still has a great chance to go that high and Wills could go just outside of that range.  That said, Dalton Risner, Jawan Taylor, and Cody Ford all went in the second round last year after getting first round projections from draftniks.  Wills could certainly go far lower than expected.  Teams can be very cautious about picking underclassmen lineman who don't win any awards and don't have a long track record of high level play as a starter.

45 minutes ago, philibusters said:

This off season I am more worried about adding an good OLB for the 4-3.   I feel like Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, and Bostic if he is back are serviceable at MLB.   Long term I would like to upgrade the position, but short term (this off season) it feels like we have bigger holes to fill.

Can't wait to see what Rivera does at Linebacker.  While Bostic was serviceable this year and an upgrade from Mason Foster, he is too slow. Reuben Foster is the best LB we have....can he ever see get on the field and stay on the field? I believe Rivera will bring in a FA that is familiar with system and add a mid round draft pick.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks yep sorry Citrus. Thanks for the insight.  I know Alabama fairly well.  Michigan not so much.   Too bad Lewis isn’t playing, he is emerging as a good pass rusher.

Have a great time and no getting all dreamy eyed over those bama WR's  😀

Watching the replay of this Alamo Bowl game.  Just an old-fashioned beatdown.  Where was this Texas defense throughout the season?  Utah offensive line turned in one of the most pathetic performances of the season and made these Texas kids look like the Steel Curtain.

I'm looking at this Longhorns team and thinking that none of the eligible underclassmen are going to come out this year.  Ehlinger is going to go back.  Cosmi will go back.  They're getting Ingram back and the freshman they've got behind him looks pretty awesome too and he can play quarterback and lead block too.  The whole secondary aside from Brandon Jones will be back.  That monster of a nose tackle will only be a sophomore next season.  And they're going to get that super athletic linebacker corps back.  The only big losses are the two senior receivers, Jones, and Malcolm Roach.

This is a legit CFP contender next season.  Next year is their shot, and Cosmi is going back to be a part of that IMO.

As far as the actual game went, I thought Brad Anae gave Cosmi problems.  Cosmi was holding quite a bit and did get flagged for it finally in the fourth quarter.  He wasn't moving his feet well and his sets looked bad.  Could be hurt.  He's definitely had better performances than this one, but he was still a big part of their success on the ground because they were outside zone running and he created the lane on some of those TDs.

Duvernay was awesome.  He was beating that good Utah man coverage straight up.  Very physical at the catch point.  Came down with the 50-50 balls.  He's a nice mid round option for a slot receiver, and it wouldn't shock me if he snuck into the second round.  The toughness and competitiveness are palpable with him.

Very disappointed that Jaylon Johnson didn't play in the game.  He hurt his team because those Texas receivers pretty much won against the man coverage all day and had a ton of success on outside runs, and things would have been very different in that regard if he'd been out there.  I thought it was a pretty selfish move for a guy who isn't even being projected into the first round.  They were definitely missing Justin Blackmon too.  The defense got punked in a way that they shouldn't have given their quality and pedigree.

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I am an SC fan, Brunson can cover a lot of ground, very underrated

A read up on him a little, scouting reports say he is awful at diagnosing plays and processing, which makes him often a step behind.  The complexity of the NFL will only be more difficult.  If it's due to a lack of confidence, that can be improved with film study.  If it's just a processing issue or lack of quickness, then he will have a low ceiling.

That's just my 2 cents going off a couple scouting reports, you guys obviously know the player better than me.  Do you feel he can play an effective role in the 4-3? 

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

A read up on him a little, scouting reports say he is awful at diagnosing plays and processing, which makes him often a step behind.  The complexity of the NFL will only be more difficult.  If it's due to a lack of confidence, that can be improved with film study.  If it's just a processing issue or lack of quickness, then he will have a slow ceiling.

That's just my 2 cents going off a couple scouting reports, you guys obviously know the player better than me.  Do you feel he can play an effective role in the 4-3? 

I definitely saw this on film cut ups. Seems to allow extra yards per play by not reacting quick enough to what he is seeing. It was especially obvious against Alabama. He was moving at a slower speed than anyone else on the Bama offense.

Archived