Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, with the right coach a lineup of  Sweat == Ioan/Payne/Allen -- Young could be the thing of nightmares for opposing offenses. I think the saying of "you can never have enough good pass rushers" really is true. Especially if you have the chance at possibly the best pass rushing prospect to come out in the last 10 years. 

Don’t forget about Anderson.

if, when we take Young, our defensive line should be the best in the NFL....all 1st round picks. And we would still have Ion and Kerrigan to trade...or even Allen. Offer up TW and Allen for Miles Garrett of Cleveland plus a pick from them and our defensive line is off the charts insane. Young could then move all over the place. Yes I've been drinking.

Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Sure, the Washington Redskins just drafted Montez Sweat. But for as good as Sweat's off-season circuit was in 2019 and his play in 2018 at Mississippi State, well, he's no Chase Young. This selection is a best-player-available call and should be an absolute no brainer for Washington. This team needs difference makers, first and foremost, and Young is that.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

when I was watching Sweat create havoc today, I had fantasies of seeing Young paired up with Sweat.  I saw some Redskins fan say on twitter the fact that we have Sweat is why we don't draft Young.   My take is the opposite.  That's why you do it. 

The Giants when they won SBs had Strahan and Osi and Tuck and Kiwanuka.  That foiled Tom Brady and they won a SB.  the Eagles had a killer D line the year they beat the Patriots and won a SB. 

A killer D line is as essential to winning as a killer O line.  Kill it in the trenches.   

I agree in principle. 

I missed the game today. Was working a double. Can you describe Sweat’s play, in today’s game, more detail? 

If we draft Chase Young, which I assume we will, we need to go all in on defense. I was hope of we would sign Peters before he signed with Baltimore. We need another good corner, and probably a FS and a LB.

If Dylan Moses declares, is there any chance he falls to our pick at the top of the 3rd? I might move up into the second to grab him, in a lower cost move similar to that we made for Sweat last year. 

44 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

if, when we take Young, our defensive line should be the best in the NFL....all 1st round picks. And we would still have Ion and Kerrigan to trade...or even Allen. Offer up TW and Allen for Miles Garrett of Cleveland plus a pick from them and our defensive line is off the charts insane. Young could then move all over the place. Yes I've been drinking.

Why would we trade Ioan?? We have him signed to a relatively modest contract (for a good DL) through 2022 and IMO he's currently our best interior defensive lineman. Kerrigan i would definitely look to trade. I don't think he'd have much of a spot if we take Young since we have Anderson as depth there and he's shown flashes this year. Not sure how much we'd get for Kerrigan though. Probably not more than a 3rd. 

Don't forget if it wasn't for an inept fool we'd have also had the #10 pick in the draft.

10. Jedrick Wills

OT, Alabama

If there is a silver lining to Cleveland's crash and burn 2019 season, it is that this team is now in position to acquire a replacement to Joe Thomas at left tackle. Wills can play either side of the line and is the best pass protector in the 2020 NFL Draft. This is value meets need.

New_York_Jets_logo.svg.png
Jets

Tristan Wirfs

OT, Iowa

The New York Jets are reportedly investing in identifying offensive linemen to help build protection for quarterback Sam Darnold. Alabama’s Jedrick Wills may be the best pass protector eligible, but Tristan Wirfs may be the most well balanced up front of the offensive tackles. There's only one logical choice based on the board. This is the way.

Chase Young at #2 is set in stone.  I was a fan of trading back for the right price, because our team is flat out terrible all around.  But the right price won't be there.  Teams who want Tua will lose less trading with the Lions than us who have Young.  Unless the Dolphins think the Lions want Tua.  I don't see the Lions drafting Tua.  But looking on the bright side, we will have a top 3 front 7 on defense.  Hopefully we can trade Trent for a 3rd and 4th (or he decides to return now that Allen is gone).  It makes me sick that we could of picked again at 10 if we traded him to the Browns last off season.  

10 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Chase Young at #2 is set in stone.  I was a fan of trading back for the right price, because our team is flat out terrible all around.  But the right price won't be there.  Teams who want Tua will lose less trading with the Lions than us who have Young.  Unless the Dolphins think the Lions want Tua.  I don't see the Lions drafting Tua.  But looking on the bright side, we will have a top 3 front 7 on defense.  Hopefully we can trade Trent for a 3rd and 4th (or he decides to return now that Allen is gone).  It makes me sick that we could of picked again at 10 if we traded him to the Browns last off season.  

Thanks for the scoop, Mr. Snyder, please remember to can bruce first thing in the morning. 

Thank you 

13 hours ago, mistertim said:

Just so I understand you, you want to pass on what pretty much every analyst and scout has said is possibly the best pass rushing prospect in the last 10 years because you saw him not catch a QB on a run on a couple plays?  

What every analyst and scout said:   Ryan Leaf — 2nd overall, 1998,  Tim Couch — 1st overall, 1999,  Ki-Jana Carter — 1st overall, 1995,  JaMarcus Russell — 1st overall, 2007,  Charles Rogers — 2nd overall, 2003   just to name a few.   you never really know!  the bust list is long and numerous.

24 minutes ago, rabidskin said:

What every analyst and scout said:   Ryan Leaf — 2nd overall, 1998,  Tim Couch — 1st overall, 1999,  Ki-Jana Carter — 1st overall, 1995,  JaMarcus Russell — 1st overall, 2007,  Charles Rogers — 2nd overall, 2003   just to name a few.   you never really know!  the bust list is long and numerous.

Sure, if you're looking at every position equally. However, in the last 10 years (I just randomly picked 10 years) the draft has actually been remarkably good for the top rated pass rushers as far as success rate, especially compared to other positions. Only one true bust out of all of them (Dion Jordan), even though he's still in the league he's mostly a JAG. 

2010: Suh    stud
2011: Miller    stud
2012: Cox    stud
2013: Dion Jordon    bust by draft position but still playing
2014: Clowney    very good but could have been elite without personality/motivation issues
2015: Fowler    injured early on, played pretty well when he got on the field, had a breakout year this season with 11.5 sacks
2016: J Bosa    stud
2017: Garrett    stud (just watch out for him when he has a helmet in his hand)
2018: Chubb    stud his rookie year but was injured this year so jury could still be out
2019: N Bosa    stud so far his rookie year

I'll take that hit rate any day.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Brugler's current rankings

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 1.21.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 1.21.19 PM.png

Great reminder of why I don't give a bleep what Brugler thinks. Having Akers that low is just high comedy. Quite hilarious. Jeudy as the #3 is pretty funny too. Idiot. Same guy who had Ronald Jones as the #3 RB in '18, DJ Moore behind Calvin Ridley in '18, Hurst as a top 40 guy lol. I'm just so beyond over tape geeks being wrong every which way with playmakers. They are 1000% unreliable. Go Rotoviz, go Matt Kelley. They'll miss too, a little bit (Kareem Hunt, McLaurin, Michael Thomas) but they'll nail the top guys far more often and reliably unearth the Godwin gems every time before tape guys do, I've been looking at their stuff for several years now and they own the playmaking positions. They're still working on models to evaluate defensive guys, but they're getting there. 

I've officially just flushed the toilet on Brugler and the rest of the old school guys, they just flat out suck at this. They are dinosaurs. No better them random chance when it comes to evaluating prospects, period. You might as well use a mock draft sorter to aggregate everything because it will be as reliably accurate as anything any one individual comes up with be it Brugler, walterfootball, Mayock's old Top 5's and the hacks they replaced him with who are even worse etc (and I think Mayock actually did relatively okay running the raiders draft, so props to him for that).

Anyway, enjoyed the comedy there. 

On 12/29/2019 at 1:01 AM, wtfskins said:

Chase Young is for sure the biggest no brainer in the draft and there’s fans out there who don’t want him.  Someone explain this insanity.  That is some dumb ass ****. 

I'm guessing a bunch of non college football game watchers kept hearing so much hype about Young that they decided to tune into the game expecting some machine to average one sack per drive against double & triple teams all night. They didnt see that, so now think Young is pure hype....

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Steve Wilkes as DC apparently.

Let's go! 4-3 defense here we come.

That does change draft needs a bit.   i'd say we need at least 1 DT in the draft and also maybe a LB who is better in pass coverage.

Also changes the equation on whether we bring some guys back.   For example it doesn't make sense to bring back Bostic whereas if we stayed in a 3-4 I could have seen bringing him back.  We also have a bunch of OLB that don't fit a 4-3 and who could probably go to rush end, but we simply don't need 7 rush ends.

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

That does change draft needs a bit.   i'd say we need at least 1 DT in the draft and also maybe a LB who is better in pass coverage.

Also changes the equation on whether we bring some guys back.   For example it doesn't make sense to bring back Bostic whereas if we stayed in a 3-4 I could have seen bringing him back.  We also have a bunch of OLB that don't fit a 4-3 and who could probably go to rush end, but we simply don't need 7 rush ends.

I think weakside olb becomes the biggest need.  Be interesting to see what they do there.  Simmons would be perfect for that role, but can't pass on Young.

19 minutes ago, philibusters said:

What makes you think DT? We have Allen, Payne, and the Greek as an outstanding rotation for two starting DT spots and Settle has also played really well. I think we are really set along the whole DL with starters and backups. What pops out to me is OLB in a 4-3.

Archived