zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Well I am under the assumption that the job of a pass rusher is to pressure the QB and at best sak the QB. After watching 3 of the  CY games I came to the conclusion that he is a real good prospect but at this time he is not L Taylor or anything close. I still have not seen him get a sak and yes he has great stats but were they against elite competition? If you guys remember Taylor he never gave up on a play and he played with fire and determination. I just do not see that in CY yet. Looks to me like the type of guy that up until now could dominate just with his physical adility but now, in the big games, where teams are going to put good players against you, he struggles as he has not developed any moves or a technique where he can beat double teams other than bull rushing. In his defense I did not see his team move him at the snap or do any stunting but I could be wrong.  Time will tell and I do think he is a great prospect and if we do not have any offers I would not mind if we take him but if I could get 3 high # 1's for our #2 spot I would trade it in a heartbeat, instead of taking CY. 2 #1's and I would be thinking about it. I would rather have Joe Barrow though. Maybe we could talk the QB from Clem to forget about school and take him with our #2 pick, assuming we get it that is. 

 

 

I think instead of calling Chase Young a generational talent we should say he has the potential to be a generational talent.  Comparing him to Lawrence Taylor the greatest 3-4 OLB to ever play in the NFL is a tough comparison for a 20 year kid.  Taylor was both reckless in his physicality and really athletic.  The game is less physical than when Taylor played.

 

The QB from Clemson is not eligible for the draft.  You have to be three years removed from your HS graduation and he is a true sophomore.

 

I like Haskins a lot.  Barrow has had an amazing year, but in my mind it remains an open question who will be the better NFL QB between Barrow and Haskins.  I feel lots of cerebral QB with decent, but not special physical tools have looked amazing when on really talented college teams.  Some turned in to good NFL QB's, some didn't.

Edited by philibusters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be a mistake to get enamored with any single player. I think there is a chance the table is set for the Redskins to gain multiple high and mid-round picks in this year's draft. I am of the opinion that this is the best path to pursue.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, philibusters said:

 

I think instead of calling Chase Young a generational talent we should say he has the potential to be a generational talent.  Comparing him to Lawrence Taylor the greatest 3-4 OLB to ever play in the NFL is a tough comparison for a 20 year kid.  Taylor was both reckless in his physicality and really athletic.  The game is less physical than when Taylor played.

 

The QB from Clemson is not eligible for the draft.  You have to be three years removed from your HS graduation and he is a true sophomore.

 

I like Haskins a lot.  Barrow has had an amazing year, but in my mind it remains an open question who will be the better NFL QB between Barrow and Haskins.  I feel lots of cerebral QB with decent, but not special physical tools have looked amazing when on really talented college teams.  Some turned in to good NFL QB's, some didn't.

Easy on the caffeine, kidding about getting the QB's. I like Haskins too

19 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

So people aren’t sold on Chase Young because he didn’t get a sack last night?  Solid.

 

 

He didn't get a sack in his last 3 games. Solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SMH at those turned off by CY based on last night’s game against CLEMSON.  Much of their Offensive game plan was designed to contain CY.  That fact can’t be overstated.  
 

EVERY pro scout (You know guys who are paid for their football knowledge) raves about CY and call him the best player in the draft period.  
 

any non QB player can be shut down in any game if the game plan is designed as such.  Is why all pro ends, receivers etc have lack luster games stat wise.   
 

Id run to the podium to take a guy like CY who teams like Clemson have to game plan against.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mistertim said:

 

Just so I understand you, you want to pass on what pretty much every analyst and scout has said is possibly the best pass rushing prospect in the last 10 years because you saw him not catch a QB on a run on a couple plays? That two point conversion was brilliantly played by Lawrence. Clemson had obviously completely game planned around Young and Lawrence is also a generational type talent with tons of weapons. 

 

 

Much of this is literally the opposite of what analysts and scouts have said about him. His best games were against top 10 teams (Wisconsin and PSU). As far as him only dominating with physical ability and not having the moves or technique to beat double teams...what? One of the things that is almost universally said about him and one reason he's such a ridiculous prospect is because of all the technique and moves he has to go along with this crazy athletic ability and speed/size combo.

 

He's been beating double teams all year long with multiple different techniques (as basically every single team who has a coach with an IQ higher than his shoe size has game planned for Young and doubled/chipped him). I've watched every single cutup I can find of his games multiple times and while his technique can be improved (as any player's can), his is very refined for a college guy. I especially like his hand use and how he varies his rush very quickly depending on what the OT is doing. He's definitely not a one trick pony. Bosa was one of the more refined pass rushers to come out recently and IMO Chase Young is just as refined but is more explosive and has looser hips for bending the edge which is pretty scary for a 6'5 265-270 lb guy. Usually guys that size are more speed to power guys since with the weight they lose some flexibility but it just doesn't seem to be the case with Young.

Did all these accalades come before the last 3 games he has played against 3 good teams and not after he played against Miami of Ohio? My son is a alum of PSU and he goes to all the home football games. He said the guy CY was up against in the PSU game was not a very good player. What happened the next time CY played Wisc? Tell me you thought CY is the best def player you saw in the last 10 years after you watched the last 3 games he played in as many of these brilliant scouts said. Show me the moves he beat double teams with. I watched his last 3 games and he was invisable and he was not doubled or tripled on many players. He had many chances and he was handled by all 4 tackles from Mich and Wisc. Go back and watch the games this time. Never said I wanted to pass on him, just said I would trade the pick if the offers were solid.

Edited by 50yrSKINSfan
Content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big thing with CY is he dictates what the other team can do on offense.He is a game changer.When CY is on the field its a double team or three step drop.With that said OKUDAH could be the next Champ.If we win today or trade back with another team picking in the top 5 he is a hell of a consolation prize.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched him in 2 games. No clue how Young will turn out, if we even get/got him, but **** it, I think Im just gonna root for a win today anyway.. 🤣

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

So people aren’t sold on Chase Young because he didn’t get a sack last night?  Solid.

 

 

After I heard all the hype, listening to Sheehan and his guys talk about this guy, I watched his last 3 games, I am just a regular dude but I dont get all the hype, I even noticed he didnt hustle at times

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am so torn on Chase Young. I won't pretend that a stupid message board poster knows more than those paid to evaluate players, and a quick YouTube visit shows just what all the fuss is about. But apparently I am the only person on Earth who does not believe he is close to 6'5" 270. I froze a few shots and he looked no bigger than most of the other players and much smaller than any of the offense lineman. And while it was obvious that Clemson had to design their entire game plan around him I too saw some concerning things such as not running hard when he appeared out of the play.  I was expecting eye popping Lawrence Taylor stuff but just didn't see it last night.  He was good, I watched him exclusively and he was splitting double teams and getting close to Lawrence.  But every great player is game planned for and double teamed, was hoping to see more impact plays.  But it was just one game too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 I am so torn on Chase Young. I won't pretend that a stupid message board poster knows more than those paid to evaluate players, and a quick YouTube visit shows just what all the fuss is about. But apparently I am the only person on Earth who does not believe he is close to 6'5" 270. I froze a few shots and he looked no bigger than most of the other players and much smaller than any of the offense lineman.


 

F2B43EA9-E081-446C-98C4-AA74BEA0CF5B.jpeg

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

My bad. He is definitely a loser.

 

I don't think anyone is calling him a loser, I'm just not drinking the coolaid that he is a generational talent.  Great athlete with a huge upside, but he's is definitely NOT Mack or LT right now.  If the skins draft him I'll be pulling for him to be all he can be,  I truly hope some other team has the same opinion of him as Todd McShay and wants to make us a deal we can't pass up.

 

Without a trade the skins will draft him #2 and I sincerely hope I'm undervaluing his worth.  We need him to be what you think he is; not what I think he is.  I've never wanted to be wrong more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I’ll add here is that if we get him, he makes everybody on the d-line better by commanding an extra blocker. He’s a special player IMO, I’d be happy to have him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Some of y’all are taking this way too seriously. 
 

Look, some don’t like Young. I’ve never seen a universally loved prospect in my life. Who cares?

 

Some think we’ve got talent at linebacker, which I think makes them legitimately crazy. But people are entitled to that.

 

But, if Bruce doesn’t get fired, this team is going to go to the podium at 2 and draft a punter to compete with Way anyways :ols:

 

Have some fun here.

 

Young has a quiet game. I watched the end of the third quarter and the fourth... (saw Star Wars, yes I liked it, please don’t take me over coals I have sensitive skin). I saw him taking double teams and moving around the DL, including playing inside in order to free up other rushers. I saw him burst off the LoS tremendously quickly only to have The Surf Ninja release the ball at a lightning pace. I saw him contain Lawrence a few times when he attempted to run outside. 
 

I also saw him get handled one versus one at times. I also saw a few plays where he looked tired. 
 

I see that all the time in the NFL. Even from the absolute best of the best. I’ve seen Aaron Donald look pedestrian.. spoiler alert... he’s not. 
 

I think Young, despite a statistically slow stat night, showed enough burst and ability to fight doubles that he is worthy of the second pick. I also think a trade back for a guy like Isaiah Simmons also showed to have some merit. Not on the CB train, but Okudah is tremendously talented. 
 

Everyone has their favorites. 

 

I blame the media (sometimes). Everyone has to be larger than life. I was satisfied with what I saw, from an individual standpoint.

 

Wasn't his A+ stuff (Like I said before, its Clemson, and they're doubling and chipping him, and he was still a factor in several plays),  but if anyone came away with the impression that he was a bum, lazy, or not worthy of the #2 overall pick, well, they are a dumbass

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Did all these accalades come before the last 3 games he has played against 3 good teams and not after he played against Miami of Ohio? My son is a alum of PSU and he goes to all the home football games. He said the guy CY was up against in the PSU game was not a very good player. What happened the next time CY played Wisc? Tell me you thought CY is the best def player you saw in the last 10 years after you watched the last 3 games he played in as many of these brilliant scouts said. Show me the moves he beat double teams with. I watched his last 3 games and he was invisable and he was not doubled or tripled on many players. He had many chances and he was handled by all 4 tackles from Mich and Wisc. Go back and watch the games this time. Never said I wanted to pass on him, just said I would trade the pick if the offers were solid.

WHAT? He was an absolute monster against PSU. I am a PSU alum and I watched it first hand. He had NINE tackles. THREE sacks and TWO forced fumbles. Your son might need to freshen up on his football watching skills. And he wasnt against a single player. Young plays all over the field.

 

 

Edited by clskinsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many moving parts, but I hope the FO looks hard at trading back.  
I get people not wanting to miss out on Young, I really do.  By all accounts, he’d be a great addition to the D, and if we aren’t getting a nice offer, he’s a no-brainer.  If we could pull off a trade back and still pick top 5 though... hard not to consider it with some combo of Okudah/Simmons/Lamb/Jeudy on the board.  
If we do go that route though, the big things for me are whether we can 1) trade back more than once, 2) pick up future picks (as well as additional picks this year), and 3) trade back and still land a top talent.  
 

Trading back more than once is particularly attractive if we continue our trend of drafting for need early.  OT looks like a poor pick in the top 5, but landing a top OT, an additional 1st, a 2nd this year and maybe a 1st in 2021... that’s tempting.  


With all of that said, I’d be happy to land Young... even moreso if Trent comes back to play for us.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isaiah Simmons is going to be a special player in this league.  Watching him last night, matched up against a lot of future NFL talent, he was able to get to the QB, be disruptive in the flat, even had a great pick as a high safety.  Showed a lot of range.  I feel like he could be an even better Derwin James, as he is bigger and faster, with more experience playing close to LOS, and could be a jack of all trades that could be a defensive coordinators dream and an opposing QBs nightmare.  I wish we had a 2nd to try and get back up into the top 10, but I'd be ok with being aggressive with a trade package, including Trent and 2021 1st, to get Simmons in burgundy and gold.  With young and Simmons being added, foster coming back, a better defensive mind being hired, our front 7 alone could keep us competitive.  If Haskins develops and guice and tmac improve, we could have a nice core to build around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Isaiah Simmons is going to be a special player in this league.  Watching him last night, matched up against a lot of future NFL talent, he was able to get to the QB, be disruptive in the flat, even had a great pick as a high safety.  Showed a lot of range.  I feel like he could be an even better Derwin James, as he is bigger and faster, with more experience playing close to LOS, and could be a jack of all trades that could be a defensive coordinators dream and an opposing QBs nightmare.  I wish we had a 2nd to try and get back up into the top 10, but I'd be ok with being aggressive with a trade package, including Trent and 2021 1st, to get Simmons in burgundy and gold.  With young and Simmons being added, foster coming back, a better defensive mind being hired, our front 7 alone could keep us competitive.  If Haskins develops and guice and tmac improve, we could have a nice core to build around. 

 

I don't like the idea of trading future firsts for non-QBs.  Next year's class looks strong too.  I would rather add 2021 picks than trade them for any package of players/picks in 2020.  If we are trying to maneuver into Simmons's draft range, it needs to be as part of a trade down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.