Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

Then he went on to completely dismiss Tua's ankle injuries as "non-issues" without explaining how 2 ankle injuries that both required surgery could possibly be "non-issues". 

As I recall, both of those ankle surgeries weren't "required", the tightrope suregry was optional.  You can choose to get it for high ankle sprains if you wanna get back quicker.  It was get it and come back and play in 2 weeks or just sit out for 8 weeks.  So I think that's what Chao means.

Not that it changes your premise, cuz he was still getting significant injuries all the time, but just as a point of clarification.  Had he missed huge portions of these seasons, nobody's touching him with a 10 ft pole and this isnt even a discussion.  

15 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Why do so many tape people poo poo Dobbins? Most seem to still have him as their rb3 but it’s a begrudging 1.03 w/references to “jack of all trades master of none” type gloss. Guy killed it in ‘17 and ‘19 (some were alarmed by his middling ‘18) and in that Nike senior year testing of his rb class he came out #1 w/a superb vertical (I think 43) and a sub 4.45 forty. Great athlete, great production, big game production and involved in the passing game. What’s not to love?

He's good.  I think he's correctly slotted as the third RB in the class.  The reason he's not higher is because Swift and Taylor are just as athletic as him, if not more so, but have significantly more creativity and significantly better vision.  Dobbins gets the yards that are blocked for him, but not a whole lot more.

And I think it's clear he benefited from playing with Turner at QB instead of Haskins.  Hasksins wasn't a run threat and the RPO and zone read was barely a part of their offense when he was running it.  It was a huge part of their offense this season, and it tended to get Dobbins rumbling to the B and C gaps with much more space.  One of the things that stands out from his film is that, even against stronger defenses like Michigan State, he's getting 2 and 3 yard wide creases in those gaps.  I think people are skeptical that he's going to be as productive at the next level when he doesn't have the benefit of that much space because he doesn't do the little things to create room like help his blockers out with pace, or stack moves up to wreck pursuit angles.  He's a one-cut battering ram who plays at one speed most of his reps.

He's going to be an amazing fit for certain teams, but a poor fit for just as many others.  The lack of versatility is what's leading to variability in his projection.

20 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

There is a damning text about kenneth Murray in the Chase Young thread that would probably be well served to be reposted here. Not a great year to need an off ball LB unless you're in a position to get Simmons, IMHO. 

I just checked out the discussion in that thread based on your recommendation.  Murray is really really raw.  But his highs are spectacular.  He's got that freak quality that is reminiscent of a backyard stud type player at the position like Lavar or Jaylon Smith.  Doesn't play good team ball, but will do shocking things like jump over a block to hit a guy in the backfield.

He can be very productive as a weakside linebacker behind a good line where he can just chase and hit and not have to read much.  He presses the line of scrimmage so hard that he makes a lot of big time stops by dint of effort and aggression.  He's a really bad fit playing inside as a MIKE though.

I'd stay away from him personally. I don't love stack linebackers with poor instincts.  And he really turned me off when I watched the Kansas game.  He started a brawl on the sideline before the game with some childish behavior that just shouted knucklehead to me.  I'm looking for a leader at that position, and while I don't question his toughness or competitiveness or passion, I don't totally trust his judgement or maturity.  He's going to get drafted too high for my comfort level.

I actually kind of like this linebacker class.  There are certain guys I like as value picks for certain ranges: Brooks or Harrison at 66, Wilson in the fourth, Bachie in the fifth or sixth, Brunson in the seventh, etc.  Bachie in the fifth or sixth is my personal favorite scenario.  He was on a post-season awards track and might have been able to slip into day 2 before he got in trouble for PEDs.  Seems like a buy-low candidate because of that.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did my own scouting report on Reed about a month ago and posted it here.

I like him as a late round type. He is a bit raw but a beast with the ball in his hands.  Good YAC guy.

think he’s got potential. His return skills will translate well. Return options will be limited, but he knows how to find and hit gaps. Makes people miss. Has the measurable traits of a RR player. 

WR/RB hybrid. Special teams value too. Like him with our 5th rounder.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

think he’s got potential. His return skills will translate well. Return options will be limited, but he knows how to find and hit gaps. Makes people miss. Has the measurable traits of a RR player. 

WR/RB hybrid. Special teams value too. Like him with our 5th rounder.

I like him but don’t know if I’d go 5th round with him.  There are a group of receivers that I think might land in the 6th or 7th, possibly in the 5th. Reed I think has a decent shot to fall past the 5th.  Among the receivers that are often grouped in that range I like Jauan Jennings, Quez Watkins, Quartney Davis better.  But Reed isn’t that far behind for me.

On another note, as to the Redskins interviewing Alex Taylor. I haven’t watched him but looked up his dimensions. The dude is a giant maybe even too big. 6 ‘8, 36 inch arms, 11 inch hands, wow.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here's my crazy ass trade down class:

qplmFms.png

Take out Dillon and add bpa WR or TE and this is my idea of perfect scenario draft.  Hard not to think twice if you thought you could pull this off.  A key aspect to any trade down is still getting a high level edge defender, which I believe we still need. Glad you included that in the scenario. 

An article in the Athletic talked about Lynn Bowden from Kentucky as a 3-4th round WR. He is a slot WR prospect who played QB for them last year:

“The people who watched Bowden extensively at Kentucky probably don’t believe he can fall out of the first round. He was that good there. When the Wildcats’ quarterback situation fell apart in 2019, head coach Mark Stoops and offensive coordinator Eddie Gran moved Bowden to quarterback and basically ran the option the rest of the season.

Bowden, who led the Wildcats in receiving and rushing, essentially dragged his team to eight wins. When you hear another player call another player a “dog” and mean it in the best possible way, that player is talking about a guy like Bowden. He despises losing, and he fears no opponent. Find ways to feed him the ball, and he’ll make your team better.”

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/29008071/how-lynn-bowden-became-one-nfl-draft-most-intriguing-players

as for the post on Bowden. Yeah I agree he would be a good get. I like Gibson, another multi faceted player even more.  I don’t really see a mile difference between Gibson and Shenault even though Shenault gets so much more hype.

4 hours ago, sportsnut said:

Any chance Saahdiq Charles or Lucas Niang fall to us in the third?  If so, which would you rather?  Do you think they are the best tackles we can hope for in the third?

Charles I think is more likely to fall because of character concerns.  Niang is my favorite of the 2nd tier type OTs. I’d love it but I would be surprised if he fell to the 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

as for the post on Bowden. Yeah I agree he would be a good get. I like Gibson, another multi faceted player even more.  I don’t really see a mile difference between Gibson and Shenault even though Shenault gets so much more hype.

Charles I think is more likely to fall because of character concerns.  Niang is my favorite of the 2nd tier type OTs. I’d love it but I would be surprised if he fell to the 3rd.

Is there any word about Niang's hip?

Bowden is hard for me to judge. Talent wise he’s a no brainer. But I’ve heard from a few sources that the dude is a grade A pain. I’d rather take Charles than him. But if anyone has any better info on him I’m all ears.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Anyone heard details on exactly how this "virtual draft" will take place ?

Is it basically everyone on zoom calls, like the coaches, players, commissioners, and analysts ?

I’m not sure. I know zoom itself was fighting some security issues so I can imagine that being a problem. But seems like they will do something the kids are somewhat familiar and comfortable with. 

My guess is analysts in a studio somewhere, with Goodell/a few league execs at another location on a monitor, and all 32 teams/reps at their respective team facilities,  with players at their homes via satellite and some with (maybe) reporters looking for an inside scoop

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I even think that Charles could fall to the 4th round.  I've read that some teams don't even have him on their boards because of his character issues.  RR can positively affect Charles and our OL coach is one of the better in the biz, from what I've heard.  :) 

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Saahdiq Charles is my favorite choice to be the heir apparent to TW given where we pick.  He can probably be had with our first 4th ... maybe even our second.

but if we get a 3 for TW and Niang is gone I’m taking Charles in the 3rd. 

I posted right after you and we're on the same sheet of music, JMS.  If we got a 3rd for TW and Charles was on the board I'd do the same.  I use my first 3rd on TE and either Kmet, who I prefer or Trautmen would be my choices at that pick.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really like Gibson as well and have him rater higher than Bowden. He's faster than Bowden and less of a dickhead (allegedly)/more of a team player. Shenault isn't as raw and has more production, but with that injury history I'd be fine with Gibson in the 4th.

Archived