Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

What would my sexy draft thread compadres trade for Patrick Mahomes 🤔

13 hours ago, LD0506 said:

No more yoohoo for you

Volsmet, you can drink as much yoohoo as you want. You're killing it with these prospects that are less talked about. I'm assuming we are going to draft Chase, and be active in FA. If Haskins develops, our mid and late round draft picks could really make us over the next couple of years. A couple of big hits could put us over the top. A Terry McLaurin or Matt Ioannidis this year and next and we are in business as long as we don't screw the rest up. I'll admit, I couldn't make it through an almost 12 minute video of Kindle Vildor. Isn't that a lot to ask?

On the other hand, you did give me Josh Uche. 

Look at 3:06 in the second video, if you want to see Uche try to stay to stay with KJ Hamler. On the other hand, look at the closing speed at 3:49. If he drops far enough, Uche is a steal. I love him in the 4th. There is a ton of positional versatility here. I think he almost looks better in space than rushing the passer, and he had 8.5 sacks in 2019. I definitely think he could be super successful as a complementary player if he lands in the right situation. 

Also, I wouldn't shy away from drafting edge in the 3rd if its BPA, even if we draft Chase Young. We'll need a backup, and Anderson probably isn't it. Kerrigan is too old to plan around. If someone like Bradlee Anae is there and is BPA, grab him and let the rest sort itself out. Can you imagine a DT rotation of Payne, Allen and Ioannidis, and an edge rotation of Chase Young, Montez Sweat, and Bradlee Anae? 

https://kslsports.com/427116/bradlee-anae-improved-nfl-draft-stock-with-outstanding-senior-bowl-performance/

https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1220095192390258689?s=20

https://twitter.com/JJSportsBeat/status/1221239911350591489?s=20

I love the play at 32 seconds. Uche and Anae meet at the QB.

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Cam Gill

At 1:15ish he uses a spill technique as a stand up end in a 4-3 look with no overhang set as the force defender. Curious if that's schematic or him. My assumption is that's on the backer over the top who likely was the force but got sucked inside on the action and then sealed allowing them to get to the perimeter.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't remember who had the take that Hamler might be a better prospect than Ruggs because of the production, but I strongly disagree with it.  There is a major difference between speed at 5'9 175 and speed at 6'0 190.  Ruggs is faster too.  IMO he's a 4.2X guy and is a John Ross type weapon.  I would draft Ruggs in the first round, but Hamler is a day two pick for me.

I am more of a Ruggs guy, too. I see Hamler as sort of a niche player in the NFL.  Your comments made me rewatch Ruggs and refresh my opinion on him.   

Ruggs to me is a complete receiver who also happens to be very fast. I agree probably faster than Hamler.   Ruggs has some physicality to him.   He has strong hands, can make contested catches, break tackles, he's not a bad blocker IMO either.   He played mostly Z.  Some slot.  But he can deal with man coverage-press, etc. 

I didn't really think of it in this way until reading your post but Hamler actually helps make the case for Ruggs.   Hamler's game is really almost all about his speed and his separation skills.   He's good at that niche but there isn't much to his game beyond that.  I like Ruggs better apples to apples as to the speed, separation skills.  But Ruggs to me is so much more because he can do it all.  

Ruggs seems to be a sneaky polarizing prospect with draft geek types.  He's often either considered overrated or underrated.   His critics say for his speed he was more of an underneath guy than a deep threat and cite his lack of production.  His fans say that was a product of his system and all the playmakers they had but if you just zone in on him, you can see he can do it all.   When some attack a receiver's production on a loaded roster, the thing I look for the most is does the dude get open when he's not getting the ball?  And in Ruggs' case the answer is yes.  So I am a fan.  If they traded down, get a pick for Trent, etc -- Ruggs would be one of my targets.  I think he has serious star power. 

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

A couple mentions in this thread, Akeem Davis Gaither, he’d look good in DC

I like this guy. Has a lot of versatility. Can be an edge rusher in sub packages if we want to play games with our ends and move them around the front. Can blitz off the edge in base. Very instinctual. Uses his hands extremely well. Has tremendous block destruction skills. 

This guy has high round grade written all over him. He's one of the better football players I've watched. Yes, he's playing 1-AA (I still call it that), so there is a slight talent disparity, but watch the guy move and react. He diagnoses fast, gets into his drops, blankets receivers. He drives his feet through contact. He has some good bend. He uses his hands to get his head in a position where he can diagnose the play if he's playing at the LOS. He also seems to be under control of his body at nearly all times.

I really think this guy is a phenomenal prospect. One of my favorites so far behind Young/Simmons.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Look at 3:06 in the second video, if you want to see Uche try to stay to stay with KJ Hamler. On the other hand, look at the closing speed at 3:49. If he drops far enough, Uche is a steal. I love him in the 4th. There is a ton of positional versatility here. I think he almost looks better in space than rushing the passer, and he had 8.5 sacks in 2019. I definitely think he could be super successful as a complementary player if he lands in the right situation. 

I agree on your bottom line. This guy is a rotational complement piece, but he's also a development project strictly as an EDGE. I don't see him as a backer. 

Strengths:

-Explosive off the ball

-Good angles

-Holds up well at the POA

-Strong wrong arm technique on spill

Weaknesses:

-Relies on anticipation to get his explosion at snap. Leads to a lot of false steps

-Not as instinctual and quick in coverage due to unfamiliarity with it (this is what makes him an edge rather than a OLB)

-Hands aren't as active as you'd like to see

-His stance bothers the **** out of me for some reason.

I'd say this guy is a later round flyer that could develop. Seems to have some tools. Don't want this dude in too much open space where he's not attacking and using angles. But he has potential.

Been watching a lot more of Chase Young to see more of his nuanced game play. Be forewarned, I'm purposely being overly critical of him in this post. This isn't to say he's not a phenomenal prospect, it's not to say he's not worthy of all the hype he's getting. It's me deep diving on him looking for things to ding him on

-He has excellent technique, but I almost feel like he doesn't use his hands (in hand fighting... but he uses his arms well to keep OL off of him) enough and just blows by most tackles with his footwork. I'm not sure how that holds up in the NFL, but having also watched him when he does use his hands, he's got some really quick and technical paws. So I think he's going to be able to be effective anyways.

-He tends to rush real deep into the backfield, which opens up his edge for quarterbacks to rush through if they step up in the pocket and there isn't enough inside penetration. This is the concern I have with how San Francisco is going to have to stop Mahomes. They need to get a good rush on him, but the DL has to be mindful of where they are as a unit. If they get a deep rush from one end and the interior DL can't re-establish to LoS at a similar level as the rush, lanes open. That B-Gap is going to be a big rush lane, so the Niners need to circumvent that without taking away from the coverage. Young does run himself right by pressures if the QB has the savvy to step up. He did it against Clemson a few times. As an aside, I think this is a side effect of the first point I made. He tries to blow by tackles with his explosiveness and speed and doesn't actively want to hand fight as often as I think he could (and win). When he DOES use his hands, his rush angle is fantastic and right in line with where it needs to be.

-This is all connected, but he doesn't use his bend enough. I saw a few plays in watching where he looked like a contortionist. But he only does it on a handful of plays. He tends to do it on plays where he is actively hand fighting as well. And when he uses the bend, he's generally not too deep in the backfield. 

Yesterday I posted that his biggest weakness was against the run. I'm walking that back a little the more I see him. I think his biggest weakness is that he is such a phenomenal athlete/player that he didn't always use his tools that were available to him and he's going to need to get used to using more of his toolbox on a regular basis at the next level.

As far as the run game goes, he does well on runs inside of him on what i've seen. He actively hand fights in situations where he is the force defender holding outside leverage on the tackle, making the back commit to going inside and then uses his body and technique to rip/hand check back inside and make the play on the back. Very disciplined there. 

The other thing I noticed, to use a concept on what @stevemcqueen1 has talked about in his prospect grades... I don't see a mean streak in him. As a DL you just want to see a guy that wants to consume your soul. He seems like a guy that is always calm and cool. I'm not opposed to that. He doesn't have to be LT or on-field Reggie White. He can be successful. But if that's a criteria you look at, he doesn't seem to have it from watching film.

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This guy has high round grade written all over him. He's one of the better football players I've watched. Yes, he's playing 1-AA (I still call it that), so there is a slight talent disparity, but watch the guy move and react.

App State moved to FBS (1A) back in 2012. But they’re in the Sunbelt which probably has even less talent than 1AA lol

People-Jones, I like him but don't love him. Late 4th-early 5th?

He has really good body control and hands.  He makes some really nice catches in just about every way imaginable, high points well, can catch a fade, scoops the ball when its thrown low, etc.  He played with a bad QB so it tested that ability some.  Good catch radius.   He looks the part.  Good size.  And good speed for the size.  They played him a mix of slot and outside. 

Reason why I don't love him.  For a dude his size he plays with meh physicality aside from contested catches.  He's not the type who breaks tackles much.  He's a so so at best blocker and doesn't play with a mean streak on that count.   He's hit and miss from what I saw as to beating a physical corner who is pressing him, not that I saw a big sample of it though.   He's not much of a YAC guy who can break loose in the open field.  And while he is a decent separator, he doesn't look to be a great one.  There is some stiffness as to how he moves.  

@Skinsinparadise That’s a good summary of People-Jones, IMO.  What I like about him (the things you highlighted), I like a lot.  He’s way more finess than physical though.  I think he can be a good receiver in the Pro’s.  You can’t teach the attitude, but at least he can learn to get off the LOS (although I think he has good footwork to release off press, he needs to get better with his hands) and block more consistently.  

Edit:  Thinking about it more, while I don’t really think it’s possible to really teach attitude, I think environmental aspects can maybe alter attitude to some extent.  If he saw McLaurin blocking and praise he drew from it, if he watches practice tape of our backs getting stopped by his man (and plays he is more aggressive paying off), gets hyped up by guys he respects, etc, maybe he could become a bit more aggressive on this front?  I don’t know.  

27 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise That’s a good summary of People-Jones, IMO.  What I like about him (the things you highlighted), I like a lot.  He’s way more finess than physical though.  I think he can be a good receiver in the Pro’s.  You can’t teach the attitude, but at least he can learn to get off the LOS (although I think he has good footwork to release off press, he needs to get better with his hands) and block more consistently.  

Edit:  Thinking about it more, while I don’t really think it’s possible to really teach attitude, I think environmental aspects can maybe alter attitude to some extent.  If he saw McLaurin blocking and praise he drew from it, if he watches practice tape of our backs getting stopped by his man (and plays he is more aggressive paying off), gets hyped up by guys he respects, etc, maybe he could become a bit more aggressive on this front?  I don’t know.  

It's possible with People-Jones.  He's physical dealing with corners-safeties as for contested catches.  But he doesn't strike me that physical of a player when it came to blocking or breaking tackles.   I'll use Mims as an example.  He is a similar size dude.  Both of their strengths IMO are their hands-catch radius.  But Mims to me is the better player in part because he's more physical.  Among other things, Mims is fun to watch blocking.

But yeah as for raw talent People-Jones has it.  He potentially could be developed IMO.  I like his hands-catch radius.  And its hard to project some WRs because of the QB play.

13 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Not sure if it's worthy of it's own thread, but who specifically do you NOT want to go to each NFCE team?

For me, I don't want Simmons ANYWHERE in the NFCE.

Giants: Simmons, Okudah

Cowboys: Brown, Kinlaw

Eagles: Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs

16 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Next years Super Bowl.

You said something similar heading into our 2019 season. I’m inclined to suggest that, if you continue this pattern, you’ll eventually be correct ... but, we are the Redskins.

I wonder if Cleveland feels similar to how I feel. If they could add Trent now, they can use the 10th pick on another position. If I were Cleveland, I might try to trade a 2nd and 4th for Trent and use that top pick on a defender, Simmons if he falls, or possibly one of the DT's. 

Archived