Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

@volsmet Murray popped in the Kansas game last weekend too.  You are right, he is a barbarian.  I think he almost started a fight in the pregame just by being a dick and running through the Kansas players on their sideline.  He had no business being over there, he was just baiting them.  He's got the screw loose quality of a Reuben Foster and he'd be fun to have on your team.

He's going to be one of the most hated players in the NFL pretty soon.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I truly hope we scrap this 3-4 trash in '20. Been nothing but murder trying to find the pieces to run it. If was easy peasy back when maybe a few teams ran it.

Isn't Young better suited in a 4-3 alignment?

Young fits with any system, he won’t drop into coverage unless a Manusky gets his hands on him.

Higgins in the top 10, lordy has he moved himself up. He’s ridiculous.

6 hours ago, volsmet said:

Higgins in the top 10, lordy has he moved himself up. He’s ridiculous.

The WR talent is incredible. It will be hard to tell how many go early. Higgins certainly is one of the best.

How about Okudah at 4, wow has he been moving up.

I just keep getting excited about what Young does to our defense. Our D is a FS and pass rusher away from being truly special IMO, coaching aside, because seeing Young with Kerrigan or Sweat out in coverage will make my head explode. 

Our offense is years away from being competitive. Outside of getting lucky with Mclaurin, there is not one single definitive piece. Some competent filler and some questions like Haskins, but with no TE to bail a young QB out, no RB to lean on and no oline to keep it all honest, its pointless. 

Finish the defense. It makes a young QBs mistakes not be game changers and keeps us in the game. Hopefully some more late rounders can show out, but next year is the time to begin focusing aggressively on offense. 

With a top draft pick, the potential for getting a good pick for Trent, and significant cap space, it’s going to be interesting to see what positions we address this offseason.  

Here’s hoping 1) Haskins shows we don’t need to go after a qb, 2) Snyder keeps away from draft decisions, 3) we find coaches that can take advantage of what talent we do/will have, 4) Allen gets over himself and unloads Trent, and 5) we cut Norman, Reed, and maybe AP/Moses.  

@Koolblue13 I worry about our corners too.  Hopefully it’s mostly a scheme issue, but I worry that any stud pass rushers might be relatively neutralized by quick passing offenses.  I wouldn’t mind spending on a stud there in FA (and cutting Norman).  

Totally agree that on offense we need a lot.  As dismal as it looks though, I wonder if we’re better than it appears - like if a few added pieces help make others around them look good/better.

A good, all-around TE is something I wanted to add last year.  We’d still need a replacement for Moses, to re-sign or replace Scherff and a LT.  I’m hopeful that the trio of Guice, Love and Thompson answer our rb position and that Quinn, Harmon and Richardson get better qb play supplemented with a (much) better rushing attack.  

Bottom line, I’m looking at LT and corner in FA, and TE, tackle and wr early-ish in the draft.  Trading Trent would make me feel a lot better about staying pat with our top pick (and selecting Young) and missing our 2nd round pick.  

I've been banging the table for a top "Witten" style TE for about 3 years. I hear ya. I hope Reed and Davis are gone next year. As well as AP. 

If Harmon works out, and he might, that would be huge. Same with Quinn, but that's all a long shot, but adequate enough. Thank god we hit on Mclaurin. 

Those 3 RBs you've mentioned are all injured far too much. They dont count until proven otherwise. 

Other that that @skinny21 I do agree on CB. I just think that's that'#3 on defense and it's not close to a FS or pass rush. Those 2 things change everything. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I think Bryce Love ends up our starting RB next year. Can't count on the 3 of them, Guice, Thompson, or Love with their injuries, but Love has the highest upside. Thompson can still be the scat-back

I'm unreasonably excited about Love, but this team man. If a player has any injuries, they just cant seem to get away from them. Remember when Olinemen just always played? Rare for 1 to miss time. We have barely had a starting line in tact for 2 or 3 games in a row for years. 

Any player that has any injury history, will most likely be injured as a Redskin.

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Given the Redskins/Bruces message that the fans can go **** themselves- shouldn't draft threads be mothballed until he is gone? Does it matter who we draft at this point?

Last couple drafts were mostly good. This past one is questionable, but looks like we hit on a couple starters. Outside of the Haskins pick, theres no proof of the FO pushing. Draft team seems solid.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Last couple drafts were mostly good. This past one is questionable, but looks like we hit on a couple starters. Outside of the Haskins pick, theres no proof of the FO pushing. Draft team seems solid.

Does it really matter if the draft is good or bad given how the team is run? I think we've drafted very well 3-4 years running but we're staring at being the worst team in the league. 

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Does it really matter if the draft is good or bad given how the team is run? I think we've drafted very well 3-4 years running but we're staring at being the worst team in the league. 

I loathe the Dan and Bruce show myself and our coaching staff is an absolute joke, so probably not.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I've been banging the table for a top "Witten" style TE for about 3 years. I hear ya. I hope Reed and Davis are gone next year. As well as AP. 

Yeah, the difference that type of TE can make as blockers and receivers both are just such a help for teams.  Allows for the dynamism we haven’t had in years.  

If Harmon works out, and he might, that would be huge. Same with Quinn, but that's all a long shot, but adequate enough. Thank god we hit on Mclaurin. 

I’d love to add another top receiver, but I’m ok with Richardson, Harmon, Quinn and Sims (x2)... especially if we have a good TE and can get our ground game going.  

Those 3 RBs you've mentioned are all injured far too much. They dont count until proven otherwise. 

Don’t disagree, I’d definitely look to add another back via the draft or UDFA.  

Other that that @skinny21 I do agree on CB. I just think that's that'#3 on defense and it's not close to a FS or pass rush. Those 2 things change everything. 

I don’t necessarily disagree of course, I’m just not sure how much impact a pass rusher or FS can have if qbs are able to throw the quick hitters all game.  I think that’s why we had some success on D when Fuller and Breeland were on the field.  

Now those deep balls we’ve given up?  That’s a different story.  Nicholson has taken the bait on too many routes that leave guys running free behind.  Doesn’t help that Norman isn’t able to keep up with those faster guys though.  

Nicholson has been adequate.  It's our corners who've sucked.  Moreau and Norman have been awful.  I'm willing to be patient with Moreau, but not in a situation where he's our second best corner.

Corner is the most needy position on the defense and it's the one where, if talent is stockpiled, it will have the biggest impact on the quality of the D.  You need a Packers-like stable of DBs for today's NFL.  Seven guys who can play.  We're at three with three big question marks in Moreland, Moreau, and Stroman.  If we build a DB stable, with our front, we will have a top notch D.

I think it's also become clear that Jeff Okudah is the third best player in the class behind Tua and Chase.  That's your BPA pick if we finish third.

17 hours ago, volsmet said:

Young fits with any system, he won’t drop into coverage unless a Manusky gets his hands on him.

Yep but In the 3 games I watched, he actually dropped into coverage a couple of times.  So he might even be able to do that.  😀  Not that I'd want him to. 

I haven't really dived into specific players yet for the draft aside from causally watching a bunch of college games.  But Young's talent is so sick, that he's not a hard player to digest.   He's a blast to watch. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Me, too.  Too bad they skipped TE last year -- it was one of the more loaded positions IMO.  I just watched back to back games of Colby Parkinson and Jared Pinkney.  One game granted is a small sample so I got to dive in deeper.  Parkinson to me is a hit and miss as a blocker, he looks lazy here and there.  Pinkney on the other hand blocks a lot in their scheme, or at least he did in that game, he's feisty, can seal the defensive end, plays with a mean streak.   He's #80 in the clips below.  Parkinson in the game I watched lines up a lot like a receiver and often isn't even assigned to block.  Pinkney on the other hand blocks a lot -- both in the run game and the pass game and looks good doing both things IMO.   He did get a flag on one of those plays.  But I love that he blocks with attitude, that's not always easy to find with today's TEs. 

Patriots defense:

Lawrence guy: FA pick up, former 7th round pick 

Danny Shelton: Traded 3rd for a 5th & Shelton, former round 1 pick

John Simon: FA pick up, former 4th round pick

Jamie Collins: FA pick up, former 2nd round pick

Dont’a Hightower: First round pick

Elandon Roberts: 6th round pick

Kyle Van Noy: Acquired, along with a 7th round pick, for a 6th - Former 2nd round pick

Jason Mccourty: Acquired, along with a 7th round pick, for a 6th - Former 6th round pick

Patrick Chung: FA pick up, former 2nd rounder

Devin Mccourty: Former first round pick

Stephon Gilmore: FA pick up, former first round pick.

The Dline is the strength of the team. Put them in the hands of capable coaching.

Cover guys are the biggest need on defense both corners and versatile safety's. 

Steve nailed it with Okudah. He probably will be drafted around 7-8 though so there is an early steal.

The offense needs a top WR, TE and at least 2 OL starters.

I good organization with some cap space could do this in one off season. 

Don’t sleep on my dude at corner

Miller’s mock has former 5 star recruit, Peoples-Jones as well as Kenneth Murray in round 1, I hadn’t seen either of them that high before, I don’t see either in most 2 round mocks. Peoples-Jones is an interesting talent I haven’t paid much mind to since he was in hs.

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

Given the Redskins/Bruces message that the fans can go **** themselves- shouldn't draft threads be mothballed until he is gone? Does it matter who we draft at this point?

Yes....especially because the rumors have us trading our #1 for freakin Mike Tomlin. Just let that sink in....we may not have hit rock bottom yet. 

42 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Miller’s mock has former 5 star recruit, Peoples-Jones as well as Kenneth Murray in round 1, I hadn’t seen either of them that high before, I don’t see either in most 2 round mocks. Peoples-Jones is an interesting talent I haven’t paid much mind to since he was in hs.

Consider yourself fortunate then.  Michigan's offense is unbearable to watch.  Doing so will literally drop your football IQ.

I still see draft rankings with Shea McClellan ranked as a draftable prospect.  It is amazing how far you can ride a ridiculous HS recruiting ranking.

Edelman is ridiculous.  Guys square him up to kill him all game long and still I don't think I have ever seen him get hard.  He just literally lept over a defender in a sort of tumble in order to completely avoid the hard contact that was coming down on him.

Christian McCaffery has this exact same spider sense to avoid the big hit.  It's a talent.  We should watch for it and incorporate it into evaluations of ball carriers.

Archived