Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How's the Redskins Roster shaping up?

Owls0325

Green- Locks     Black- Higher Likely   Red- Potential Cuts/Trades   Yellow- Potential Practice Squads    Purple- PUP

Offense- (25)

QB- (3) Haskins, Keenum, McCoy, Woodrum, Smith                             

Summary-

Haskins and Keenum look like they are certain to be on the 53 man roster with this being a close fight to seeing who starts week 1. McCoy could be a surprise cut particularly if he struggles to recover from the leg injury he's had a second operation on which would see about 1.3 million saved. While Woodrum looks like at best being a practice squad member and Smith will end up on PUP due to the fact trying to cut him would see 36 million in dead money regardless of him even being able to pass a physical. I can't see any QB being added to the roster. At this stage I would lean towards Haskins starting week 1. 

RB- (4)- Guice, Peterson, Thompson, Perine, Marshall, Love

Summary- 

This is shaping up to be one of the Redskins strongest positions across the teams. For it be successful it needs key members to stay on the field which is a worry with 4 of the above names having previous ACL injuries. The success of this unit will largely depend on the fitness of the offensive line which if key members are able to stay on the field has the potential to be a top 5 unit which would be a great positive for the RB group where rotation could be key to success however in the past Peterson has struggled to adapt to this. Next year we could see Guice and Love become the main two here. 

WR- (6)- Richardson, McLaurin, Quinn, Harmon, Doctson, Chesson, Quick, C Sims, S Sims, Davis

Summary- 

Before the draft this would have gone down as one of the weakest units on the redskins roster. Richardson and McLaurin look like the only real locks to make the roster which means that competition for places should be high across camp. However I would expect Quinn and Harmon both to make the roster there is the potential for Doctson to be cut which would save only 620,000 however this would only happen if Doctson is soundly beaten in training camp as the Redskins will continue to search for compensatory picks which could come from Doctson having an upward year. Players need to steep up here particular with a new QB at the helm. 

TE- (3) Sprinkle, Reed, Davis, Flanagan, Holtz

Summary-

This group has severely underperformed in the last few years for the amount of money that the Redskins are contributing to this group. Cutting Reed could see the Skins save around 8 million while cutting Davis would say around 5 million. The problem with this however is that the depth behind these two isn't strong which mean unless a trade or a player is claimed that could make suitable contributions it's unlikely either would be cut however it would be a surprise to see a restructure on Davis contract. I wouldn't expect Rudolph to be see as a potential trade due to the cost that would be needed along with a new contract written up. 

OL-(9) Williams, Moses, Scherff, Rouiller, Martin, Christian, Pierschbacher, Flowers, Bergstrom, Kerin, Dunn, Okeke, Catalina, Parris

Summary-

This group on paper has the potential to be great however year after year for one reason or another it never seems to produce. Injuries have been a massive problem for this group and I can't think of another team in the last few years that have had to deal with the injuries that the Skins have had to deal with across the line. The first four I see as locks this year on the roster however next year I could see replacement been looked for in the draft for Williams and Moses as age starts to catch up. Scherff needs to sign a new deal otherwise a potential strength could become a weakness. Hopefully the rookies can help to bring some real quality depth to this unit and let's hope that Flowers isn't as bad as reported otherwise he could be an early cut candidate. This year if Haskins does play it's really important that the line stays healthy otherwise problems could emerge quickly. 

Defense- (25)

DL- (5)- Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, Settle, Brantley, Smith, Wicker, Ankrah

Summary-

The potential of this group is crazy to think about. It has the potential to easily be in the top 5 of the whole league with solid depth behind the main three. The two Alabama boys the talent is their for everybody to see. Ioannidis is consistently improving year on year and I thought that Skins got a great deal when signing him to an extension. Settle last year showed flashes of brilliance while the coaching staff seem to expect big things of Brantley. I'm expecting no real changes here in the next couple of season. 

OLB- (5)- Kerrigan, Sweat, Anderson, Brailford, McKinzy, Gates 

Summary-

Kerrigan despite having any elite trade consistently manages to put up +10 sack numbers season after season through hard work more than anything. Adding Sweat alongside him who replaces Preston Smith could be the perfect combination. The speed and athleticism of Sweat alongside the motor and experience of Kerrigan could be a match made in heaven. Behind these two Anderson and Brailford help to add depth where rotation could have to keep freshness across the pass rushers. Look this season for Anderson to continue to expand that he plays in regards to snaps taken. Depending on how this season goes Kerrigan could be a potential trade candidate before Age means that interest is lost. 

ILB-(5)- R.Foster,Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons, Holcomb, M.Foster, Blunt, Flowers

Summary-

Reuben Foster adds some real quality to this unit if he able to reach the form that he reached two years ago at the 49ers before having a down year last year. After this we see competition between a young group and Mason Foster who has his limitations. Hopefully Holcomb can come in a bring some speed to this unit alongside Foster which would really help to improve this unit. Mason Foster could be cut to save around 3 million but it looks like the Skins value the leadership that he bring that apart from him is a young group that with Rob Ryan coaching should see development. Potential for a player to be picked up when cuts are made here. 

CB- (6)- Dunbar, Alexander, Moreau, Moreland, Stroman, Norman, DRC, Holsey, Johnson

Summary-

On current reflection this cornerback group looks like the most competitive group on the roster currently with competition fierce. Personally I see only Dunbar who has hopefully made a full recovery from injury as a lock. After this we see a young group of corners who all have high enough upside to develop into at least steady starter while people like Alexander have the potential to go further than that. Though controversial if though it would be unexpected Norman could find himself cut/traded if suitable partner found by September if he can't justify the high salary that he currently has. The current cap number stands at 14,500,000 which makes him the second highest player at CB in the league. Over the last few years he hasn't been able to live up to what was expected of him when he signed in 2015. DRC also has concerns as to whether he still has the love for the game but I expect we will see at least one of Norman or DRC on the roster come September. 

S- (4)- Collins, Nicholson, Everett, Apke, McIntosh, Reaves

Summary-

One of the most worrying position post draft on the roster. The only certainty to be on the roster come September is Collins who big things are expected of. Nicholson has potential consequences to face and the depth behind this is weak which is way McIntosh a UDFA could find himself with a strong showing in a positive place. Expect a player to be claimed here as along with TE these are probably the worst two positions on the roster. Tre Boston on a suitable contract could be a very interesting pick up for the Skins and alongside Collins could turn this position into a strength with Nicholson who probably works best as the 3rd person. 

Special Team- (3)

P- (1)- Way

K- (1)- Hopkins

LS- (1)- Sundberg, East

Summary- 

This group is one of the most settled groups on the roster with the main decision that needs to be made is between Sundberg who has recovered from injury and East. Both Hopkins and Way had positive years last year hopefully they can build on this. However let's hope that Way isn't needed as much this year as it's never good when your punter is in the running for player of the year. 

There are some rumors that Kenny Still is available for nearly nothing, while he’s not a sexy name, he’s explosive & I think he’d provide Haskins with a but more of what he had at OSU than we have here. I’d be interested, but I haven’t looked at his contract situation.

35 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There are some rumors that Kenny Still is available for nearly nothing, while he’s not a sexy name, he’s explosive & I think he’d provide Haskins with a but more of what he had at OSU than we have here. I’d be interested, but I haven’t looked at his contract situation.

Stills is a legit pro but you have to wonder why Miami is looking to move him? I like him and would definitely take a look there. Maybe they'd take Doc for him since we've declined Doc's option year and seemingly are looking to move on from him?

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

There's no way only 4 WRs are either locks or highly likely to make the roster. I think you need another category that is somewhere in between highly likely to make the team and potential cuts/trades. Like "Probably will make the team".

WR's who will probably make the team imo: PRich, McLauren, Harmon, Quinn, ....that's it. I think we need to look around the league unless the Skins really feel like Sims, Davis or someone else we have can really help. I think Doc needs to really be special in camp or he may be cut over someone who stands out. 

If Sims and Davis come back strong, we have some big receivers for sure who could surprise....fingers crossed these two come back ready to dominate.

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

WR's who will probably make the team imo: PRich, McLauren, Harmon, Quinn, ....that's it. I think we need to look around the league unless the Skins really feel like Sims, Davis or someone else we have can really help. I think Doc needs to really be special in camp or he may be cut over someone who stands out. 

If Sims and Davis come back strong, we have some big receivers for sure who could surprise....fingers crossed these two come back ready to dominate.

There's one problem with that...if you're right, the Skins will only have four WRs on the roster when the season starts. As of right now, Doctson is better than the rest of the WRs not mentioned on your "probably make the team" list. That's when you put actual production over "lots of potential if they're not injured and come back 100% healthy".

I think PRich, Doctson, Mclaurin, Quinn, and Harmon will probably make the team, along with one other WR from what's left. The only way any of those first 5 WRs get cut or traded is if there's a surprise standout in training camp along with the #6 WR showing himself too good to let go. But I don't see the Skins hitting on 3-4 young WRs including at least two of them being rookies, and that's what would have to happen for Doctson to be a camp casualty. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

There's one problem with that...if you're right, the Skins will only have four WRs on the roster when the season starts. As of right now, Doctson is better than the rest of the WRs not mentioned on your "probably make the team" list. That's when you put actual production over "lots of potential if they're not injured and come back 100% healthy".

I think PRich, Doctson, Mclaurin, Quinn, and Harmon will probably make the team, along with one other WR from what's left. The only way any of those first 5 WRs get cut or traded is if there's a surprise standout in training camp along with the #6 WR showing himself too good to let go. But I don't see the Skins hitting on 3-4 young WRs, and that's what would have to happen for Doctson to be a camp casualty. 

By not exercising Doc's 5th year option I wonder if the Skins are preparing to move on from him, possibly sooner than later? He just hasn't been reliable and I think his injury history and lack of production is gonna bite him if he has a dicey training camp. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

By not exercising Doc's 5th year option I wonder if the Skins are preparing to move on from him, possibly sooner than later? He just hasn't been reliable and I think his injury history and lack of production is gonna bite him if he has a dicey training camp. We'll see.

I personally thought they were ok with moving on from him next year if he didn't show himself worthy of an extension, because they could get a comp pick out of it. That, and they didn't want to chance him becoming injured and his 5th-year option salary being on the books--and let's face it, after the gobs of injuries across the roster over the past two seasons, I wouldn't blame them from being spooked something could happen to Doctson lol...

I'd be very surprised if Doctson doesn't make the team.

I also think either Sims or Davis has a chance to sneak onto the roster. Both shone in preseason. For some reason, I think Gruden has treated Robert Davis the way he treated Chris Thompson early in his career. He puts him on IR for a hangnail because he loves the potential and just wants to stash him. Eventually, he's got to be given his shot or let go. I think this is his last year.

If we keep six Wide Receivers I could see it being Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, McClaurin, Harmon, and Davis/Sims. If the rookies are amazing in preseason I wonder if Richardson could find himself a surprise bubble candidate. I did love his fight and his grit playing through injuries, but the poor guy who a deep injury history in Seattle too. As a bigger surprise, I think it's possible Quinn doesn't make the opening day roster. I think he has a lot of talent. Just not sure if he has the body to survive the NFL.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hey, wasn't rookie practice today ?

The schedule someone posted said it continued through the 12th, but I don't see any activity from today.

That may have been because of the rain. Everything probably got moved inside away from cameras. Not sure what press access was granted.

Doctson could find himself being the surprise cut more for if the Skins believe that they won't be able to stash a young receiver on the practice squad and believe a young receiver has a higher ceiling than Doctson. 

19 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'd be very surprised if Doctson doesn't make the team.

I also think either Sims or Davis has a chance to sneak onto the roster. Both shone in preseason. For some reason, I think Gruden has treated Robert Davis the way he treated Chris Thompson early in his career. He puts him on IR for a hangnail because he loves the potential and just wants to stash him. Eventually, he's got to be given his shot or let go. I think this is his last year.

If we keep six Wide Receivers I could see it being Doctson, Richardson, Quinn, McClaurin, Harmon, and Davis/Sims. If the rookies are amazing in preseason I wonder if Richardson could find himself a surprise bubble candidate. I did love his fight and his grit playing through injuries, but the poor guy who a deep injury history in Seattle too. As a bigger surprise, I think it's possible Quinn doesn't make the opening day roster. I think he has a lot of talent. Just not sure if he has the body to survive the NFL.

Davis broke his leg and tore his ACL, LCL, PCL. Hangnail? 

6 hours ago, Owls0325 said:

Doctson could find himself being the surprise cut more for if the Skins believe that they won't be able to stash a young receiver on the practice squad and believe a young receiver has a higher ceiling than Doctson. 

That would be a huge mistake.  People haven't done their research before talking down about Doctson.  Watch the tape.  Evaluate the QB vs the route assignment.  Look at the personnel in the package.  Put that all together, before making a statement about a players overall evaluation.  Doctson hasn't been put into the right situation to take advantage of what he does best.  In criticism for what Doctson hasn't done until you evaluate his last set of games, it comes down to aggressiveness and probably immaturity.  He didn't breakout in college until his 3rd year.  He didn't play in his rookie year, so this is his 3rd full NFL season.  There's just too much risk to take the gamble on the 5th year option...I get it.  That has nothing to do with how his progression has been slow historically and how expectations based on that would make you bullish on Doctson in his 3rd year, healthy, increasingly aggressive, and paired with more talented receivers on the field at the same time.  It matters.  There's no way Jay Gruden cuts Josh Doctson.  Zero chance of that.  Don't get me wrong, as I'm not a Josh Doctson fan.  I'm just stating what I see and connecting the dots with all things considered.  I believe he's an average #2 or good #3 NFL WR at his best.  My expectations on the high side are 750-900 yards with 6-8 TDs. 

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

That would be a huge mistake.  People haven't done their research before talking down about Doctson.  Watch the tape.  Evaluate the QB vs the route assignment.  Look at the personnel in the package.  Put that all together, before making a statement about a players overall evaluation.  Doctson hasn't been put into the right situation to take advantage of what he does best.  In criticism for what Doctson hasn't done until you evaluate his last set of games, it comes down to aggressiveness and probably immaturity.  He didn't breakout in college until his 3rd year.  He didn't play in his rookie year, so this is his 3rd full NFL season.  There's just too much risk to take the gamble on the 5th year option...I get it.  That has nothing to do with how his progression has been slow historically and how expectations based on that would make you bullish on Doctson in his 3rd year, healthy, increasingly aggressive, and paired with more talented receivers on the field at the same time.  It matters.  There's no way Jay Gruden cuts Josh Doctson.  Zero chance of that.  Don't get me wrong, as I'm not a Josh Doctson fan.  I'm just stating what I see and connecting the dots with all things considered.  I believe he's an average #2 or good #3 NFL WR at his best.  My expectations on the high side are 750-900 yards with 6-8 TDs. 

This isn’t college football! He doesn’t have time to wait! The Skins have declined his 5th year option. They could easily cut Doctson. He runs lazy routes, no separation. Production is not there. 

15 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

This isn’t college football! He doesn’t have time to wait! The Skins have declined his 5th year option. They could easily cut Doctson. He runs lazy routes, no separation. Production is not there. 

You're contradicting all the available data and NFL analytics about the NFL WR.  Normally takes 2-3 yrs for a NFL WR to breakout.  He absolutely doesn't run lazy routes.  You've not watched his tape, nor his progression through the history of his career in college and up to now.  He never has been about separation, nor speed.  Production, really?!  Compared to who, Reed?  In what offense, with which QB, and which personnel group?  This is childish.

16 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

I agree, production is what matters.  Thats great that he didnt flourish until year three in college but if your expectations are 750 to 900 yards and 6-8 TDs then you are expecting mediocrity in year 3*.  We could put a bunch of different people in that position and get the same result, so why do we need Doctson?

On 5/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, Owls0325 said:

TE- (3) Sprinkle, Reed, Davis, Flanagan, Holtz

Summary-

This group has severely underperformed in the last few years for the amount of money that the Redskins are contributing to this group. Cutting Reed could see the Skins save around 8 million while cutting Davis would say around 5 million. The problem with this however is that the depth behind these two isn't strong which mean unless a trade or a player is claimed that could make suitable contributions it's unlikely either would be cut however it would be a surprise to see a restructure on Davis contract. I wouldn't expect Rudolph to be see as a potential trade due to the cost that would be needed along with a new contract written up. 

Minny will need to cut Rudolph. Would there be a way the Redskins could offer a 7th rounder, come to lets say a 3 year deal with Rudolph and Cut Davis and Reed? 

Does Holtz have eligiblity for the practice squad?I he spent tie on the Browns and the Redskins

I believe Doctson will be on the roster and a starter in 2019.

Archived