Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adrian Peterson or Tony Dorsett?

kfrankie

5 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

AD is #9 all time rushing yards. Dorsett is #10. 

What's wild is Frank Gore is #4. Would you take Gore over Dorsett? I guess if you're judging by total yards, the answer is yes.

Can't do that though. 

33 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Who is the better running back?  I bought a large Sports Illustrated coffee table/picture book for my kids and it lists AP at #10 on its top 10 list but Dorsett doesn't make it.  

Toni was great...but I'd have to go AP...close though

I don’t think it’s close. Great as Dorsett was Peterson in terms of raw talent falls in the is he human category similar to Eric Dickerson/O.J Simpson. It gets dicey comparing eras but were there as many cyborgs playing on front sevens in Dorset’s era? 

Wonder where they ranked Jim Brown? He always seems to be ranked #1 when discussing RBs.

I have absolutely nothing against Mr. Brown, but he was fortunate enough to be playing in a league far less complex, less astuted defenses, and with great blockers.  But he was the Brown's offense. The 'aerial attacking offenses' hadn't blossomed back then.

Dorsett was the beneficiary of a better offense overall; hec, a better team overall, much less a better coach. Tom Landry is considered an enemy of the Redskins, but as far as I'm concerned, he was a damn good coach.

Barry Sanders, you ask? Put Barry behind 'Th' Hogs', and he would have far more yardage and touchdowns, but you would have to cough up the Superbowl championships, because the offense would have been more designed around Barry, thus making the offense more one-dimensional. 

An offense that has good balance in running and passing stands a better chance of succeeding, Look no further than the 49ers with Roger Craig. 

Joe Montanya [ Montana lol ] with Jerry Rice and the other WRs gave Craig a lot of cushion and running room, pulling LBers back 10-15 yds.

Dorsett was ok, but I can't put him in the category of Sanders, I just can't.

23 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

AD is #9 all time rushing yards. Dorsett is #10. 

What's wild is Frank Gore is #4. Would you take Gore over Dorsett? I guess if you're judging by total yards, the answer is yes.

Gore has been great, but he's pretty much the definition of a compiler. He's been fun to watch and I wish I'd seen him on a great team or with a great OL for a long period. But his best talent has really been staying absurdly healthy for a really long time. Remarkable given his college injuries. 

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Wonder where they ranked Jim Brown? He always seems to be ranked #1 when discussing RBs.

I have absolutely nothing against Mr. Brown, but he was fortunate enough to be playing in a league far less complex, less astuted defenses, and with great blockers.  But he was the Brown's offense. The 'aerial attacking offenses' hadn't blossomed back then.

Dorsett was the beneficiary of a better offense overall; hec, a better team overall, much less a better coach. Tom Landry is considered an enemy of the Redskins, but as far as I'm concerned, he was a damn good coach.

Barry Sanders, you ask? Put Barry behind 'Th' Hogs', and he would have far more yardage and touchdowns, but you would have to cough up the Superbowl championships, because the offense would have been more designed around Barry, thus making the offense more one-dimensional. 

An offense that has good balance in running and passing stands a better chance of succeeding, Look no further than the 49ers with Roger Craig. 

Joe Montanya [ Montana lol ] with Jerry Rice and the other WRs gave Craig a lot of cushion and running room, pulling LBers back 10-15 yds.

Dorsett was ok, but I can't put him in the category of Sanders, I just can't.

The question was Dorsett vs AP, not Sanders.

I got to go with AP and it's not even close for me.  

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gore has been great, but he's pretty much the definition of a compiler. He's been fun to watch and I wish I'd seen him on a great team or with a great OL for a long period. But his best talent has really been staying absurdly healthy for a really long time. Remarkable given his college injuries. 

That was my first thought about Gore.  Crazy how durable he was in the NFL after being labeled injury prone coming out of the u.  Makes me more confident about guys like Love who we get at a discount just bc they had a freak injury at an inopportune time.  

On 5/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, Berggy9598 said:

I don’t think it’s close. Great as Dorsett was Peterson in terms of raw talent falls in the is he human category similar to Eric Dickerson/O.J Simpson. It gets dicey comparing eras but were there as many cyborgs playing on front sevens in Dorset’s era? 

Totally agree on your opinion on Peterson....he's just unreal.  His combination of agility, speed, power, elusiveness, and toughness are just unmatched.  I think Peterson is the most athletically talented back to ever play the game in regards to running the ball.  But the crazy thing is, if you watch Dorsett, he's awfully similar to Peterson; he's just as quick, probably faster, not as violent of a runner but he's got a ton of traits.

Lists are created so people can argue for and against that list. 

IMO if you wanted me to guess what RB is best you'd have to let me know the players and scheme around them. 

Stats are also misleading. By almost all metrics Emmit is the best ever. I personally don't agree with that. 

in case anyone is wondering, the list had Jim Brown at #1.  I can't recall the rest other than Earl Campbell being at #9 right before AP, which may have been a better a better question (AP vs. Campbell).

AD and its not much of a discussion.   He won MVP, which is very hard for anyone except a QB to win.   He also was named to to the All-Pro list as many times as Dorsett had Pro-bowls (4).   Dorsett's peak was 1646 yards, a mark which AD eclipsed twice including one of only seven players to reach 2000+ in a season.    The only stat Dorsett has going for him is he was a slightly better threat out of the backfield

Archived