• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     
       
      Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 
       
      Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 
       
      If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 
       
      My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   
       
      Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  
       
      49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 
       
      1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers
       
      Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

      Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    
       
      That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

      Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 
       
      Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 
       
      How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 
       
      It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 
       
      3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  
       
      Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 
       
      End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 
       
      Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    
       
      Next week Kirk Cousins!   
       
       
Sign in to follow this  
carex

Way to early roster predictions

Recommended Posts

  This is going to be more about the roster makeup than particular people

 

QB- 3, 1 PS, 1 IR

 

Everybody makes it. We can't get rid of Smith so he goes on a reserve list.  People say that Jay only likes to carry two QBs but in the five years we've been here we've carried three three years.  And  Woodrum goes to PS

 

RB- 4, 1 PUP

 

We don't even try to get Love going this year.  Perine doesn't make it.  They may try to trade him for a low round pick or for another on the cusp player, like Dutch for Beck or Phillips for Crowley

 

WR-6, 1 or 2 PS

 

TE-3, 1 or 2 PS

 

probably the same group from last year unless Davis is a cap cut

 

OL- 10, 1 PS

 

Everybody gets a backup.  Flowers, Martin, Ross P all make it. , Bergstrom, Christian.  Figure the last spot would be between Catalina, Parris and Dunn

 

Offense 26- 4-6 on PS

 

DL-5, 1 on PS

 

We go small here, we only dress fve anyway, we don;t have a lot of extra bodies even on the roster

 

OLB- 4, 1 on PS

 

ILB- 5

 

CB 6, 1 on PS

 

Skews young, if DRC doesn't also play S he doesn't make it

 

S-4, 1 on PS

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're pretty much right, though there's some wiggle room on the positions and I'm sure injuries will take their toll. But if you wanted a real early 53, it would probably look like this:

Offense (25)

QB (3): Haskins, Keenum, McCoy. Smith to PUP. I doubt Woodrum even gets to the PS, but he has training camp to try and prove his worth

RB (4): Guice, Peterson, and Thompson seem like locks. I'd suspect one more player makes it, but outside of Perine (who's very iffy), not sure who else would make it. I'm guess Love goes to the PUP and I think the only other RB on the roster currently is Russell Hansbrough. Well except for the one fullback, Elijah Wellman.

WR (6): Doctson and Richardson should start, if healthy. I'm guessing Quinn has a strong shot at the slot. McLaurin is certainly on the 53 as a third rounder. That leaves Davis/Harmon/Sims likely the strongest bets for the final spots. Though Chesson is around (though I think McLaurin makes him expendable) and Quick is always around. Plus some interesting UDFAs

TE (3): I'm guessing Reed, Davis, and Sprinkle and not sure there's much else close. But there's an assortment of blocking TEs in camp. This position could use another pick-up

OL (9): Williams, Scherff, Roullier, and Moses should be starters. Flowers would have to be horrific not to make the cut. Christian should make it. The two draft picks, Martin and Pierschbacher, will likely make it and that would make 8. That leaves one spot. Hoping someone young steps up. The team had Catalina as an UDFA two years ago and Dunn last year. So maybe one of them? Bergstrom also looms

 

Defense (25)

DL (5): Payne, Allen, Ioannidis seem like locks. Settle and Brantley likely round this unit out

OLB (4): Kerrigan and Sweat start. Anderson is a back up. And then it gets thin. I'd guess a guy like Brailford could earn a spot

ILB (5): The two Fosters, Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons, and probably Cole Holcomb

CB (7): Norman, Dunbar, Moreau all should be fine. I'd hope guys like Alexander, Stroman, and Danny Johnson would round out the group. Holsey and DRC also loom. Plus Moreland. Enough talent here that I actually pushed this to 7, which is really one too many

S (4): Collins will start. I'm guessing Nicholson will too as this position is thin. And then I guess Everett and Apke, but it's a weak group. I still think one of the CBs could fit better here.

 

Special Teams (3)

K (1): Hopkins - no competition currently

P (1): Way - no competition currently

LS (1): Sundberg - Andrew East is still on the roster, but I'd assume this is Sundberg's as long as he's healthy

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Byron Marshall is still on the roster and is the guy I expect as backup third down back.  I expect Holsey over Johnson, cause Johnson's play dropped off over time

 

I liked Flanagan and Holtz in the preseason and their limited regular season time last year and am fine with one or both of them back on PS, or even as third string if something happens to one of the others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carex said:

Byron Marshall is still on the roster and is the guy I expect as backup third down back.  I expect Holsey over Johnson, cause Johnson's play dropped off over time

 

I liked Flanagan and Holtz in the preseason and their limited regular season time last year and am fine with one or both of them back on PS, or even as third string if something happens to one of the others

 

Is he though? I was wondering why he wasn't listed, but he's not listed on the team's webpage:

 

https://www.redskins.com/team/players-roster/

 

and is actually listed as a free agent by Wikipedia (not exactly the go to source, but surprisingly accurate):

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Marshall

 

He hasn't accrued enough service time to be an unrestricted (or even restricted) free agent and the team didn't cut him. So at worst he'd be an exclusive rights free agent. And I saw some articles saying he was tendered back in March. Did Marshall simply not sign his deal yet? Or is the team's web page out of date (though it's usually pretty good)? Eventually I suspect he'll be around, but it's a little odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Bryon Marshall is a joke.  He has done nothing here and i'm tired of carrying these guys on this roster who have been here and haven't secured a spot by now in 2 years.  Let's get some fresh blood here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

 

Is he though? I was wondering why he wasn't listed, but he's not listed on the team's webpage:

 

https://www.redskins.com/team/players-roster/

 

and is actually listed as a free agent by Wikipedia (not exactly the go to source, but surprisingly accurate):

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Marshall

 

He hasn't accrued enough service time to be an unrestricted (or even restricted) free agent and the team didn't cut him. So at worst he'd be an exclusive rights free agent. And I saw some articles saying he was tendered back in March. Did Marshall simply not sign his deal yet? Or is the team's web page out of date (though it's usually pretty good)? Eventually I suspect he'll be around, but it's a little odd.

 

you are right, I though sure I saw his name there, and I don;t remember any transactions to get rid of him

 

I guess that would increase Perine's chances, but the whole reason the Skins kept four last year was to have a backup for Thompson and Perine doesn't qualify for that. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

There's no way they carry 10 OL.  

 

fairly certain they've done it before though I may be thinking of one of Shanny's years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, carex said:

fairly certain they've done it before though I may be thinking of one of Shanny's years

 

If they did do it, it's been a while.  As far as I can tell, since 2010, the most they ever had to open the season was 9.  I guess during the roster ebb and flow of a season they coulda got up to 10 at some point along the way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think you're pretty much right, though there's some wiggle room on the positions and I'm sure injuries will take their toll. But if you wanted a real early 53, it would probably look like this:

Offense (25)

QB (3): Haskins, Keenum, McCoy. Smith to PUP. I doubt Woodrum even gets to the PS, but he has training camp to try and prove his worth

RB (4): Guice, Peterson, and Thompson seem like locks. I'd suspect one more player makes it, but outside of Perine (who's very iffy), not sure who else would make it. I'm guess Love goes to the PUP and I think the only other RB on the roster currently is Russell Hansbrough. Well except for the one fullback, Elijah Wellman.

WR (6): Doctson and Richardson should start, if healthy. I'm guessing Quinn has a strong shot at the slot. McLaurin is certainly on the 53 as a third rounder. That leaves Davis/Harmon/Sims likely the strongest bets for the final spots. Though Chesson is around (though I think McLaurin makes him expendable) and Quick is always around. Plus some interesting UDFAs

TE (3): I'm guessing Reed, Davis, and Sprinkle and not sure there's much else close. But there's an assortment of blocking TEs in camp. This position could use another pick-up

OL (9): Williams, Scherff, Roullier, and Moses should be starters. Flowers would have to be horrific not to make the cut. Christian should make it. The two draft picks, Martin and Pierschbacher, will likely make it and that would make 8. That leaves one spot. Hoping someone young steps up. The team had Catalina as an UDFA two years ago and Dunn last year. So maybe one of them? Bergstrom also looms

 

Defense (25)

DL (5): Payne, Allen, Ioannidis seem like locks. Settle and Brantley likely round this unit out

OLB (4): Kerrigan and Sweat start. Anderson is a back up. And then it gets thin. I'd guess a guy like Brailford could earn a spot

ILB (5): The two Fosters, Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons, and probably Cole Holcomb

CB (7): Norman, Dunbar, Moreau all should be fine. I'd hope guys like Alexander, Stroman, and Danny Johnson would round out the group. Holsey and DRC also loom. Plus Moreland. Enough talent here that I actually pushed this to 7, which is really one too many

S (4): Collins will start. I'm guessing Nicholson will too as this position is thin. And then I guess Everett and Apke, but it's a weak group. I still think one of the CBs could fit better here.

 

Special Teams (3)

K (1): Hopkins - no competition currently

P (1): Way - no competition currently

LS (1): Sundberg - Andrew East is still on the roster, but I'd assume this is Sundberg's as long as he's healthy

 

I think you’re predictions are pretty much spot on although I’m gonna disagree on moving a corner to safety. Except for DRC, you can just move a young guy to a position they never played. Either we stick with Everett and Apke or go after a free agent or a cut from another team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think you’re predictions are pretty much spot on although I’m gonna disagree on moving a corner to safety. Except for DRC, you can just move a young guy to a position they never played. Either we stick with Everett and Apke or go after a free agent or a cut from another team. 

 

they did it with Everett. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the normal standard is around the league, but this roster is going to be stacked with home drafted players. I mean our starting line ups, maybe not right away in 2019, but within the very near term, is going to comprise 80-90% of players we have drafted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Moreland/DRC play both CB and S in camp. And that gives Moreland some wiggle room. 

 

I know of a RB who would have been a great addition to the roster this season... To bad we got freakin' rid of him. Yes, I'm still upset my man crush was released mid season :P

 

WR I think we're going to see a pretty big surprise at. I think McLaurin/Harmon will both make it. I think one of Richardson/Doctson may not. But we'll see. This is a position that's as wide open as any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

WR I think we're going to see a pretty big surprise at. I think McLaurin/Harmon will both make it. I think one of Richardson/Doctson may not. But we'll see. This is a position that's as wide open as any.

 

 

I guarantee both Richardson and Doctson make it. Those two and Quinn are more or less locks.

 

Put another way, you add up the production last year for Quinn, Floyd, Quick, Harris and Flanigan, and you have what Doctson produced by himself. Doctson is still on his rookie contract so it's not like we'd be savings boatload of money by cutting him, but we would lose out on a possible comp pick by doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I guarantee both Richardson and Doctson make it. Those two and Quinn are more or less locks.

 

Put another way, you add up the production last year for Quinn, Floyd, Quick, Harris and Flanigan, and you have what Doctson produced by himself. Doctson is still on his rookie contract so it's not like we'd be savings boatload of money by cutting him, but we would lose out on a possible comp pick by doing so.

 

I don't think they'd cut him. I think they'd try to trade him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 12:42 AM, Jericho said:

I think you're pretty much right, though there's some wiggle room on the positions and I'm sure injuries will take their toll. But if you wanted a real early 53, it would probably look like this:

Offense (25)

QB (3): Haskins, Keenum, McCoy. Smith to PUP. I doubt Woodrum even gets to the PS, but he has training camp to try and prove his worth

RB (4): Guice, Peterson, and Thompson seem like locks. I'd suspect one more player makes it, but outside of Perine (who's very iffy), not sure who else would make it. I'm guess Love goes to the PUP and I think the only other RB on the roster currently is Russell Hansbrough. Well except for the one fullback, Elijah Wellman.

WR (6): Doctson and Richardson should start, if healthy. I'm guessing Quinn has a strong shot at the slot. McLaurin is certainly on the 53 as a third rounder. That leaves Davis/Harmon/Sims likely the strongest bets for the final spots. Though Chesson is around (though I think McLaurin makes him expendable) and Quick is always around. Plus some interesting UDFAs

TE (3): I'm guessing Reed, Davis, and Sprinkle and not sure there's much else close. But there's an assortment of blocking TEs in camp. This position could use another pick-up

OL (9): Williams, Scherff, Roullier, and Moses should be starters. Flowers would have to be horrific not to make the cut. Christian should make it. The two draft picks, Martin and Pierschbacher, will likely make it and that would make 8. That leaves one spot. Hoping someone young steps up. The team had Catalina as an UDFA two years ago and Dunn last year. So maybe one of them? Bergstrom also looms

 

Defense (25)

DL (5): Payne, Allen, Ioannidis seem like locks. Settle and Brantley likely round this unit out

OLB (4): Kerrigan and Sweat start. Anderson is a back up. And then it gets thin. I'd guess a guy like Brailford could earn a spot

ILB (5): The two Fosters, Hamilton, Harvey-Clemons, and probably Cole Holcomb

CB (7): Norman, Dunbar, Moreau all should be fine. I'd hope guys like Alexander, Stroman, and Danny Johnson would round out the group. Holsey and DRC also loom. Plus Moreland. Enough talent here that I actually pushed this to 7, which is really one too many

S (4): Collins will start. I'm guessing Nicholson will too as this position is thin. And then I guess Everett and Apke, but it's a weak group. I still think one of the CBs could fit better here.

 

Special Teams (3)

K (1): Hopkins - no competition currently

P (1): Way - no competition currently

LS (1): Sundberg - Andrew East is still on the roster, but I'd assume this is Sundberg's as long as he's healthy

 

Wow awesome write-up I agree. Is it me or does our defense look scary good this year, on paper at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Wow awesome write-up I agree. Is it me or does our defense look scary good this year, on paper at least

Defense will be scary good if Reuben Foster finally lives up to his potential and Sweat looks like a stud. If those two things happen this is a top 5 unit based off of what we've seen previously from the other players on D. We also need someone on our DL to become a superstar household name whether its Payne, Allen, or Ioannidis (Most likely Payne imo). 

 

If those things dont happen we're probably simply a good defense that floats around the top 10 all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

 

I guarantee both Richardson and Doctson make it. Those two and Quinn are more or less locks.

 

I agree, plus Harmon and Mclaurin. Thinks those five are in, if healthy come September.

 

Next year, of Doctson remains average then he's done. Could we us chasing AJ Green as a vet presence as our youth movement continues. Once Vernon Davis and AP are done, we have a seriously young group.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

 

I don't think they'd cut him. I think they'd try to trade him.

 

Yeah, I could see that, actually...if that's why he's not on the team it wouldn't surprise me too much, although it would still need to be pretty much a slam dunk in terms of the other WRs showing up and instilling confidence in Gruden. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

although it would still need to be pretty much a slam dunk in terms of the other WRs showing up and instilling confidence in Gruden. 

 

 

 

Why is that? Has Gruden shown anything or said anything to prove he has confidence in Doctson at all? Our receivers, as a whole, are not good.

 

Is it possible the guy "gets" it this season? Sure. And I think the beginning of camp will be that opportunity. But if it's the same ol same ol for him, why is he any better than any other options?

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

 

Why is that? Has Gruden shown anything or said anything to prove he has confidence in Doctson at all? Our receivers, as a whole, are not good.

 

Is it possible the guy "gets" it this season? Sure. And I think the beginning of camp will be that opportunity. But if it's the same ol same ol for him, why is he any better than any other options?

 

Because coaches at the NFL level prefer trotting out guys they know can at least produce to a certain degree at that level...they don't like getting rid of those players to "see what the rookie can do, can't do any worse". The Skins have no one outside of Richardson and Doctson who have shown they can produce anything more than 20 catches in a season...and almost none of them have shown durability. Gruden ain't gonna toss aside either WR for the guys behind them without damn good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Over the last two seasons, Doctson and Richardson have had 16 TDs combined. They played a combined 54 games between them.

 

Over the last two seasons, Reed, V. Davis, Sprinkle, Quinn, Quick, Floyd, Harris, Chesson, Flanagan, and R. Davis have had a grand total of 12 TDs combined. They played a combined 166 games between them.

 

I honestly don't see how Gruden would want to take that 2nd group above, add two mid-to-late round rookies, and say "I'm good." lol...

 

 

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.