Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR Cam Sims 2019 Campaign

Vanguard

“I felt like every Skins Training Camp sensation WR was going to be a dominant receiver in the NFL.”

- Randy Holt

We could truly use a kid to finally develop into a proper #1.  Hopefully its Cam Sims.  Knowing our luck, the odds of it happening are with someone that we didn't draft.

23 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

“I felt like every Skins Training Camp sensation WR was going to be a dominant receiver in the NFL.”

- Randy Holt

We could truly use a kid to finally develop into a proper #1.  Hopefully its Cam Sims.  Knowing our luck, the odds of it happening are with someone that we didn't draft.

How many training camp sensations at WR do we really ever have though? I feel like it’s RB where every year or 2 we have a guy that lights it up and we think he’s the next big thing only to be cut and replaced a couple years later. But WR? There haven’t been too many Cam Sims or Trey Quinn’s in recent years, at least not that I can remember. 

30 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

How many training camp sensations at WR do we really ever have though? I feel like it’s RB where every year or 2 we have a guy that lights it up and we think he’s the next big thing only to be cut and replaced a couple years later. But WR? There haven’t been too many Cam Sims or Trey Quinn’s in recent years, at least not that I can remember. 

Hmm, here are my guesses.

Terrelle Pryor, Leonard Hankerson (wasn't there a year he "got it", or am I misremembering?), Rashad Ross, Anthony Armstrong (he was actually good for a year until the league figured out he stunk vs physical coverage).

I wouldn't even call Quinn or Sims last year as part of this group.  Sims only turned everyone's heads during that pre-season game.  Quinn was still a back seat to Crowder, and everyone knew as much.  Recall some hype, but not the hype about a surprise contributor or something.

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hmm, here are my guesses.

Terrelle Pryor, Leonard Hankerson (wasn't there a year he "got it", or am I misremembering?), Rashad Ross, Anthony Armstrong (he was actually good for a year until the league figured out he stunk vs physical coverage).

I wouldn't even call Quinn or Sims last year as part of this group.  Sims only turned everyone's heads during that pre-season game.  Quinn was still a back seat to Crowder, and everyone knew as much.  Recall some hype, but not the hype about a surprise contributor or something.

I would agree with this and also add that last year there was a lot of hype surrounding Maurice Harris in TC last year.

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

It sure seemed like last summer, that all the WRs were creating a buzz, yes even Josh Doctson.  I am sure some loved Robert Davis.  And likely still do... there is a lot of upside there, seen his huge arms?

How can anyone deny the one time tremendous upside of one Anthony Mix. He is practically a legend around here.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Sim's problem was never lack of talent.. it was always his inability to stay on the field. Lets hope he stays healthy this season

Unfortunately, staying healthy is an issue. But he is hardly alone.

Major health issues.... recent memory only - Doctson Richardson Quinn Sims Crowder Davis Harris Pryor.... about the only consistently healthy WR we have his Quick, who of course doesn't play.  

I thought I read Sims needs to add to his route tree. I assume his blocking is up to snuff since he has size but assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

38 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Or my all time fav camp wr...darnerian mccants

Yep and Taylor Jacobs was supposedly a super star in practice.  Yeah I recall all the hype for Marko Mitchell and McCants.  I am not saying this to downplay Sims.  I am jazzed about his potential.  But I have to take it also with a grain of salt.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/08/clinton_portis_loves_marko_mit.html

Clinton Portis Loves Marko Mitchell

It was Marko Mitchell Appreciation Day at Skins camp, starting with teammate applause after he made a catch in traffic against Carlos Rogers and peaking with Clinton Portis's post-practice comments.

"I think we got a couple key surprises," Portis said, in his final training camp report. "Hey, I need y'all to pump this up on TV, Marko Mitchell is killing Carlos Rogers in practice. I'm talking about, he can not stop him. So y'all make sure y'all pump Marko up on TV, because Carlos is in trouble. He in trouble. He ain't stopped him yet this whole camp."

..."We like him, he's a competitor," Rogers said of Mitchell. "He always wants to come out and compete. We like a guy like that."

"I think Marko's just coming on strong," Portis said. "He's that addition that we need, along with Malcolm and Devin. We were looking for a surprise, and I think he's it.""

I never believed in Kelly but there was a preseason play Devin Thomas' rookie year where he took an end-around and dove to the front corner pylon for a TD and I thought we had a real deal playmaker...TDs that weren't Portis up the gut felt so damn rare back then. Of course I was 19 and ****ing stupid, DT didn't have a fraction of an idea about how to play WR in the NFL. 

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Malcolm and Devin, ugh 2 more to add to the list of failed promises of skins stardom. 

Yep I recall the hype.  Pains me even more if what multiple articles said is true which was that some Redskins scouts wanted Jordy Nelson and some wanted Charles but Dan wanted Kelly. 

https://dc.sbnation.com/2011/8/31/2395531/malcolm-kelly-cut-vinny-cerrato-daniel-snyder-2008-draft

Daniel Snyder, Not Vinny Cerrato, Was Reportedly Behind The Malcolm Kelly Pick

By Jordan Ruby  Aug 31, 2011, 9:59am EDT

With the release of Malcolm Kelly on Tuesday, the Redskins closed the book on one of the more disappointing draft picks in recent memory. It's one thing to fail because you don't have the ability, but to fail because of injuries that the organization should have seen coming is a totally different story.

Kelly is one of the failed picks of the now infamous 2008 draft class. Vinny Cerrato gets a lot of flack for his time with the Redskins, but if you listen to Jason Reid of the Washington Post, this one wasn't his fault. Reid was adamant that Dan Snyder overruled his football guru to pick Kelly.

Mr. Irrelevant compiled the many Reid tweets.

(Snyder) picked him despite the warnings of the team’s medical staff. Several coaches on staff at time thought it was a mistake, but as one told me after Kelly was picked: "That’s what the owner wanted to do. Just setting the record straight. Peace.

Reid went on to say that a lot of the football minds on the staff wanted to take Jamaal Charles. 

I absolutely remember the chatter about parts of the Skins personnel department liking both Jordy and Charles. I remember bc I remember doing a "do-over" off-season in NFL Head Coach '09 on the xbox 360 and drafting both of those guys instead as I liked the rumors more than the reality. 

On 6/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep I recall the hype.  Pains me even more if what multiple articles said is true which was that some Redskins scouts wanted Jordy Nelson and some wanted Charles but Dan wanted Kelly. 

https://dc.sbnation.com/2011/8/31/2395531/malcolm-kelly-cut-vinny-cerrato-daniel-snyder-2008-draft

Daniel Snyder, Not Vinny Cerrato, Was Reportedly Behind The Malcolm Kelly Pick

By Jordan Ruby  Aug 31, 2011, 9:59am EDT

With the release of Malcolm Kelly on Tuesday, the Redskins closed the book on one of the more disappointing draft picks in recent memory. It's one thing to fail because you don't have the ability, but to fail because of injuries that the organization should have seen coming is a totally different story.

Kelly is one of the failed picks of the now infamous 2008 draft class. Vinny Cerrato gets a lot of flack for his time with the Redskins, but if you listen to Jason Reid of the Washington Post, this one wasn't his fault. Reid was adamant that Dan Snyder overruled his football guru to pick Kelly.

Mr. Irrelevant compiled the many Reid tweets.

(Snyder) picked him despite the warnings of the team’s medical staff. Several coaches on staff at time thought it was a mistake, but as one told me after Kelly was picked: "That’s what the owner wanted to do. Just setting the record straight. Peace.

Reid went on to say that a lot of the football minds on the staff wanted to take Jamaal Charles. 

2008 sucked in all avenues from owner to GM to coach Zorn (puke) to the **** draft and draft class. They wanted to load Zorn up with weapons instead of paying attention to older  and injury prone OL, DL, LB,s and DB's along with finding a replacement for ST.  

If I recall Thomas was picked with the 3rd or 4th pick in the 2nd round. Not a shocker but there were some others that might have made more sense with a bunch of WR's available. Then they went TE followed by another WR, Kelly...Why?   It was the first time in years the Redskins actually had some draft picks and they ignored the needs.

Jordy Nelson was definitly a name bantered around a lot. Another was Calais Campbell who also was bantered around years later when becoming a FA.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Cam's Camp Campaign.

Well at least his name is fun to work with.

Sounds like a cult to me.  Cult of Cam's Camp Campaign. Clearly. Characteristically. Clairvoyantly and creatively. That character Cam's cult is crazy. 

Wth am I even rambling about?!?!?  Thank God it's football season again!!! 😂😂😂

Archived