LetThePointsSoar

Would you want HBO Hard Knocks to feature us this year?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

This.... There's a show called Redskins 365 that's as good as Hard Knocks. If I was the Redskins, I'd tell the NFL were already doing something similar; make another team do it.

 

Personally, I don't care. 

 

I watched 365 and i like it.  But it's short and doesn't get that deep and much of what's in it you can already find on youtube or on Redskins.com and in more detail without that show.  Hard Knocks IMO is by a mile more entertaining.  The best analogy that hits me is 365 is at best like an appetizer to the meal which would be Hard Knocks.   

 

You can find for example the McClaurin draft party, the Haskins-Sweat press conference,  practice footage, the Haskins draft party without that show. 

 

Hard Knocks will bring fresh footage almost exclusively and instead of for example showing the McLaurin's draft party, they'd follow McClaurin home and watch him interact with his girlfriend and prepare for camp or whatever.  I recall all their footage following the Rams where they tracked Keenum and showed his girl friend at the time (now his wife) quiz him about the plays and showcase tit for tat him battling versus Goff for the starting QB spot.   To me it was wildly entertaining and that's with me not giving a hoot about the Rams. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would much rather have us be chosen for All or Nothing than Hard Knocks. Much more in depth look at the starters vs the guys on the bubble. And it’s a season-long undertaking.

 

2018 Panthers were picked this year. Really hope we’re picked for that in the near future. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would much rather have us be chosen for All or Nothing than Hard Knocks. Much more in depth look at the starters vs the guys on the bubble. And it’s a season-long undertaking.

 

2018 Panthers were picked this year. Really hope we’re picked for that in the near future. 

 

All or Nothing would be good, too.  I think they'd get more of a PR kick from Hard Knocks because of the wider audience and it coming quicker.   Normally, I wouldn't care about audience.  But as a someone who has seen some of the new stadiums in the NFL -- I want one in the DMV, too.  I got some worries they might be left holding the bag on the stadium quest -- some like Liz Clark think they ultimately would be forced to stay at Fed ex or rebuild a new stadium in that spot.  The problem I think in part is a perfect storm of fans checking out right at the same time when they are trying to sell government bodies that a new stadium will be a boom for their local economy.  And I'd add that there is more cynicism than ever about the value of a new stadium to a region's economy based on what's happened with other teams in recent years. 

 

Not that Hard Knocks would cure all of that.  But I do think drafting Haskins coupled with some national attention from Hard Knocks might help. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I watched 365 and i like it.  But it's short and doesn't get that deep and much of what's in it you can already find on youtube or on Redskins.com and in more detail without that show.  Hard Knocks IMO is by a mile more entertaining.  The best analogy that hits me is 365 is at best like an appetizer to the meal which would be Hard Knocks.

3

That's what I'm saying though... They're at least doing something similar. It's not the same at all, but it's something. I'd drive that point home if I was the team.

Not gonna lie, I wanted no parts of Redskins 365. I was still a bit salty about the 2018 season, but I started watching after the draft. It's actually pretty legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would much rather have us be chosen for All or Nothing than Hard Knocks. Much more in depth look at the starters vs the guys on the bubble. And it’s a season-long undertaking.

 

2018 Panthers were picked this year. Really hope we’re picked for that in the near future. 

Wait, there’s another all or nothing? When’d they announce that?? I’ve been looking all over for that info the past couple of months and haven’t found anything!! 😂😂 What the ****????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Well thank you. Apparently it was announced as well by the Charlotteobserver last week. Guess i just assumed it would’ve started earlier since it did last year, so i gave up and figured all or nothing was all finished 🤷🏻‍♂️ Glad they’re doing another year of it! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

That's what I'm saying though... They're at least doing something similar. It's not the same at all, but it's something. I'd drive that point home if I was the team.

Not gonna lie, I wanted no parts of Redskins 365. I was still a bit salty about the 2018 season, but I started watching after the draft. It's actually pretty legit.

 

OK I got it, you are saying that's what you'd say if you were them if you were trying to get out of it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hard Knocks will bring fresh footage almost exclusively and instead of for example showing the McLaurin's draft party, they'd follow McClaurin home and watch him interact with his girlfriend and prepare for camp or whatever.  I recall all their footage following the Rams where they tracked Keenum and showed his girl friend at the time (now his wife) quiz him about the plays and showcase tit for tat him battling versus Goff for the starting QB spot.   To me it was wildly entertaining and that's with me not giving a hoot about the Rams. 

They showcased his wife’s what now??? Man i shoulda watched that episode 😂😂😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

When will we find out if Dan\Bruce locked it down now that we qualify?

 

Feel that it's gotta be announced here in the coming days.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

They showcased his wife’s what now??? Man i shoulda watched that episode 😂😂😂

 

LOL, good one, the double meaning didn't hit me when I typed that. :ols:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Come ONNN HBO.  Keep checking this thread and Twitter every day.... 

Are they just struggling to find a team that’s willing to be on the show? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't care less about the "distraction" that Hard Knocks brings, I would love for the Skins to be picked. It would almost be an extension to the football season, one more day every week to look forward to watching my team. We all follow the off-season articles and soundbites, but this would be a whole 'nother level.  

 

If I was betting, I'd guess that the Giants will get the nod. NY has has a larger audience, a rookie QB, a new FO who has made numerous questionable personnel decisions, and a fanbase who's losing their minds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Are they just struggling to find a team that’s willing to be on the show? 

 

Your guess is good as mine. In recent history, this is far later than they've ever announced before as far as I'm aware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Are they just struggling to find a team that’s willing to be on the show? 

 

Just listened to a segment where Michael Phillips cited Bruce saying in the past he has no interest in being on Hard Knocks.  

 

Jon Gruden and if I recall either Patricia or another Lions officials indicated they don't want to be on it.  A Giants reporter said the Giants don't want to be on it.

 

So I gather one of these 4 teams will have to have this imposed on them.  If I am the Redskins I'd do it in 2 seconds in spite of the hassle that comes with it -- its a perfect shot to help reignite this team as having some national relevance. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Just listened to a segment where Michael Phillips cited Bruce saying in the past he has no interest in being on Hard Knocks.  

 

Jon Gruden and if I recall either Patricia or another Lions officials indicated they don't want to be on it.  A Giants reporter said the Giants don't want to be on it.

 

So I gather one of these 4 teams will have to have this imposed on them.  If I am the Redskins I'd do it in 2 seconds in spite of the hassle that comes with it -- its a perfect shot to help reignite this team as having some national relevance. 

 

I have been back and forth on this but am coming around to they should do it now. Right now the team is in a pretty good place in terms of optimism. You have a new shiny toy in Haskins. The Dline has the potential to be lethal. There are several other story lines like the oline and all the RBs. 

 

For me this would be a great time to get it over with. That way next year they can focus on getting better. But ultimately not sure it matters much. Do it, don;t do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

I have been back and forth on this but am coming around to they should do it now. Right now the team is in a pretty good place in terms of optimism. You have a new shiny toy in Haskins. The Dline has the potential to be lethal. There are several other story lines like the oline and all the RBs. 

 

For me this would be a great time to get it over with. That way next year they can focus on getting better. But ultimately not sure it matters much. Do it, don;t do it. 

 

I made this point on the Dan thread but its relevant here too.   IMO for the first time in Dan's tenure the brand is in danger.  In the past they can lose but people would keep coming back.  This team was discussed nationally and had some sex appeal.  

 

I think drafting Haskins helps recover some of it but Hard Knocks IMO would add some more zest to the team as to being nationally relevant.

 

For me its all about winning but i admit it bothers me when national shows are picking on the Redskins along with the Titans as a team that no national fan gives a hoot about that's why they prefer to talk about teams that drive their ratings because fans find them relevant. 

 

I'd never think I'd say this but I did take for granted that for all the faults under Dan's tenure -- the team still can draw a crowd to their games, drive TV ratings, and sell jerseys.  Those days seem dead for now.    Naturally, winning is the most important thing to me, though.  But I do enjoy a little hype, too.   

 

I recall reading a book from an ex-Giants GM years back who cited how he attended a Redskins-Giants game where the Redskins had nothing at stake yet the crowd was packed and were passionate.  He cited the Redskins having the best fans in the East.  That was about 10 years or so ago.   It's sort of sad to me that those days seem to be gone for now.  Not that Hard Knocks fixes all of that but I do think it will feed off of the momentum of the Haskins drill. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/a-once-proud-franchise-the-redskins-are-showing-signs-of-foundational-cracks/2018/12/29/c5194e90-0b8d-11e9-85b6-41c0fe0c5b8f_story.html?utm_term=.ee392149b7e5

Attendance has plummeted since. This season saw a seismic drop. In 2017, the Redskins ranked sixth in NFL home-game attendance, drawing 75,175 fans per game. Heading into Sunday’s season finale, their average game-day crowd of 60,719 ranks 29th in the 32-team league.

Moreover, the Redskins rank dead last in percentage of stadium capacity filled (74 percent). Visually, the team tried to minimize the fact that more than 25 percent of tickets were unsold by covering large sections of the upper deck with advertising banners. 

 

...Six successive years of a drop in local TV ratings for the Redskins’ broadcasts on Fox — the predominant network for teams playing in the NFC — indicates that more fans are tuning out the team from their own homes. This year’s rating (17.7) was down 10 percent from 2017 (19.7) and off more than 46 percent from the rookie season of quarterback Robert Griffin III in 2012 (25.9).

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I watched a Youtube recording of our opening game against the Giants in 2011. Granted, it was both our season and home opener, but it was still amazing seeing that many Redskins fans turning up for a team led by Rex Grossman. That compared to now was night and day, and I think it's fair to say that our team for the first third of the season was better than anything we had in 2011, especially given our early lead of the division. The way the attitudes have changed has made all the difference. It's going to take years just to get back to that, and every little bit helps. Hard Knocks plus a respectable season would be a good start.

Edited by NickyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redskins on HBO's Hard Knocks?

 

That would make for a lot of article to post in BHRBN...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Just listened to a segment where Michael Phillips cited Bruce saying in the past he has no interest in being on Hard Knocks.  

 

Jon Gruden and if I recall either Patricia or another Lions officials indicated they don't want to be on it.  A Giants reporter said the Giants don't want to be on it.

 

So I gather one of these 4 teams will have to have this imposed on them.  If I am the Redskins I'd do it in 2 seconds in spite of the hassle that comes with it -- its a perfect shot to help reignite this team as having some national relevance. 

I kind of think the opposite, I think showcasing the pure dysfunction of this franchise at what will likely be a breaking point, with record low attendance and a coach and GM about to be fired may just be the perfect shot to cement it as a national laughinstock.

 

Instead, if Im the Redskins I tell them "next year", because its a great story line and shows the franchise in a better light be cause A. Either Gruden and Allen are fired, and its all about a new regime, a new beginning, new coach, GM etc with a lot of young talent, or B. Gruden and Allen made the playoffs, fans are starting to come back, and its dramatic to see if they can build on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I kind of think the opposite, I think showcasing the pure dysfunction of this franchise at what will likely be a breaking point, with record low attendance and a coach and GM about to be fired may just be the perfect shot to cement it as a national laughinstock.

 

Instead, if Im the Redskins I tell them "next year", because its a great story line and shows the franchise in a better light be cause A. Either Gruden and Allen are fired, and its all about a new regime, a new beginning, new coach, GM etc with a lot of young talent, or B. Gruden and Allen made the playoffs, fans are starting to come back, and its dramatic to see if they can build on it.

 Cant do it with a first year hc tho

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

 Cant do it with a first year hc tho

 

Or after a playoff appearance, for that matter if we go the other direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, absolutely no, oh hell no!  This team has so many issues to resolve the last thing I would want is tv cameras running and guys getting distracted.  The Skins have got to sort their QB situation, prepare the OL for a healthy and successful season, teach the young backs how to protect the QB and run in the NFL and make something useful from the odds and ends at receiver and try to keep the TEs healthy and yes put the together the 2019 defense.  This looks like a huge challenge to me and I want Jay and his troops focused on getting prepared not distracted by some kind of reality TV BS.  I'm a simple old guy who wants to be surprised by an organized, prepared and successful 2019 team not a stupid tv show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.