Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you want HBO Hard Knocks to feature us this year?

LetThePointsSoar

11 hours ago, Darc Requiem said:

Because I actually want the Redskins to do well. Let the Giants are some other team that I want to fall flat on their face do Hard Knocks.

I, too, think that video cameras are the reason that teams do badly. The Browns sucking last year under Hue Jackson? All Hard Knocks. Jamies Winston not turning out? Hard Knocks. You wanna know the real reason Jonathan Goff sucked in 2016? Some would say that it was Jeff Fisher; those some are wrong. It was all Hard Knocks.

Sure. I think that most of the players are used to the 'distraction' of constant cameras and media. And i also think since we have a very young team overall, that is even more-so
Training camp is not what it used to be. It's not a month of grueling work to get ready,, they have been getting ready since March.. rookies had a minicamp the week after they were drafted, the offense and defensive schemes are being installed and taught in minicamps and OTAs.

Training camp is open to the public mostly anyway. A lot of it is for show, even if they are practicing. Having HBO there isn't any different than having ESPN there. They may get personal access with a few players, but usually they are bubble guys who have some drama over their making or missing the team. The access they typically gain into meeting rooms and other team functions is through remote cameras.

I don't think it hurts rookies if the rookie can handle themselves. Baker Mayfield didn't seem to be tripped by it, nor did Jared Goff, so i wouldn't worry about Haskins. (Besides, he played for Ohio state. A big school and even more..  if you've ever been to Columbus.. they are GODS..  everything is Buckeyes. Everything. So the spotlight won't phase him , i bet.)

So, it's going to be either now or in the next few years. May as well be now.

~Bang

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think the Raiders are a better pick, more interesting.  Chucky, AB, and whether or not Derek Carr can be good.  

But we'll see.  When do we find out?

next year .. first year in Vegas.. that's my bet for them.

1 hour ago, Darc Requiem said:

Two of the three teams you listed had better records the year before. The other couldn't possibly do worse. The Bucs went from 9 wins to 5. The Rams went from 7 to 4. Jeff "7-9" Fisher couldn't even live up to his moniker.

We went from 8-8 in 2008 to 4-12 the next year. The Jaguars went from 10 wins to 5. The Bills from 9 to 6. The Panthers from 11 to 7. Bad teams do badly. Teams coached by Jeff Fisher, Dirk Koetter, and Hue Jackson do badly. To say that they didn't lose out of their own ineptness is a poor excuse. I doubt any of their fans are lamenting how Hard Knocks forced them to play poorly.

22 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Right?? Seems like other years they’ve made the announcement wayyyyyy sooner than this...or is that wrong? It feels like this is the latest it’s been. 

Last year it was announced May 17th, the year before that it was around April 19th, and the year before that it was sometime in March.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:26 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

This will be a lost season anyway, so we might as well get it over with now.  Would be interesting to see how the young guys are progressing.

Let's be honest. Isn't every season a lost season.

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Last year it was announced May 17th, the year before that it was around April 19th, and the year before that it was sometime in March.

Ah. based off last year, the announcement could be made tomorrow i suppose. Which wouldn’t be a bad time to announce it, right before the weekend starts. 

19 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I'm not sure where you're finding this information as I looked for it and couldn't find it.

I remember one year (I'm probably not remembering this correctly) where they couldn't seem to get anyone.  No one was interested.  And they announced it like, two weeks before training camp started.  Or that's how it seemed.  I just remembered (again, probably incorrectly) thinking "damn, I can't believe they just agreed to it like right before camp started, that's gotta be annoying."

21 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure where you're finding this information as I looked for it and couldn't find it.

I remember one year (I'm probably not remembering this correctly) where they couldn't seem to get anyone.  No one was interested.  And they announced it like, two weeks before training camp started.  Or that's how it seemed.  I just remembered (again, probably incorrectly) thinking "damn, I can't believe they just agreed to it like right before camp started, that's gotta be annoying."

Its possible Im off by a couple of days in either direction, but its pretty close. I did some searches by year for the hard knocks announcements and those are about the dates you see the articles are posted saying that the hard knocks team has been announced. Its interesting its been getting later and later the last 3 to 4 years.

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

Its possible Im off by a couple of days in either direction, but its pretty close. I did some searches by year for the hard knocks announcements and those are about the dates you see the articles are posted saying that the hard knocks team has been announced. Its interesting its been getting later and later the last 3 to 4 years.

K, gotcha.  The season I'm remembering was further back, probably 7 or 8 years ago.  IIRC the response from the league was that we're not going to wait for a team to volunteer for it or HBO to figure it out, we're going to assign it.  Part of it has to do with whether the team has been a winner lately or not, that's why the Patriots are never on it.  If you win, you avoid Hard Knocks.  

Here is what I don’t get with the “it will be a lost season” stuff. The last four years we’ve produced almost exactly .500 results with between 7 and 9 wins each season. And two of those seasons likely would have been at least a little bit better had massive/abnormal injuries not hit. So what has happened this off season that has so many people thinking the Redskins are now likely to slip to 4-12 or worse? I totally understand why people aren’t EXCITED or predicting them to be BETTER this year. But the defense should ABSOLUTELY be better and the offense is unlikely to be much worse. Staff is the same. Schedule is probably a little easier. Division isn’t all that strong. 

To me I view the Redskins as a 7 to 9 win team again. With 6-10 being the “it all went to hell” floor and 10-6 being the “it all fell into place” ceiling. 

20 minutes ago, kleese said:

Here is what I don’t get with the “it will be a lost season” stuff. The last four years we’ve produced almost exactly .500 results with between 7 and 9 wins each season. And two of those seasons likely would have been at least a little bit better had massive/abnormal injuries not hit. So what has happened this off season that has so many people thinking the Redskins are now likely to slip to 4-12 or worse? I totally understand why people aren’t EXCITED or predicting them to be BETTER this year. But the defense should ABSOLUTELY be better and the offense is unlikely to be much worse. Staff is the same. Schedule is probably a little easier. Division isn’t all that strong. 

To me I view the Redskins as a 7 to 9 win team again. With 6-10 being the “it all went to hell” floor and 10-6 being the “it all fell into place” ceiling. 

There is no proven, consistent winner (in the NFL) at QB on the active roster. That probably has a lot to do with it. 

39 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There is no proven, consistent winner (in the NFL) at QB on the active roster. That probably has a lot to do with it. 

Keenum is proven, albeit perhaps not “consistent.” He’s been a full time starter the last two years and produced 13-3 and 6-10 records. He was very good in 2017 and so-so in 2018. I think it’s fair to call him a “middling” NFL QB. I’d also agree he has basically zero upside and brings no excitement or hope of greatness. But I also am basically 100% positive he can be equally effective as Alex Smith was for us last year. 

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Keenum is proven, albeit perhaps not “consistent.” He’s been a full time starter the last two years and produced 13-3 and 6-10 records. He was very good in 2017 and so-so in 2018. I think it’s fair to call him a “middling” NFL QB. I’d also agree he has basically zero upside and brings no excitement or hope of greatness. But I also am basically 100% positive he can be equally effective as Alex Smith was for us last year. 

That’s why I used the word “consistent” as a qualifier. It was more than just an add-on word. Vegas is big on consistency for a reason. I think people were higher on us last off-season because, even though everyone knew Alex’s 2017 season was an outlier, he had proven over the last 5+ years that he could be the leader on a perennial playoff contender. His style of play led to regular season success. 

Keenum had only done that one year, and then he fell back to his usual team and personal performance level last year. Perhaps this was an excellent buy-low opportunity on Keenum, and he will lead us to the playoffs this year, but count me as one of the doubters that either he or an inexperienced rookie will make that happen. 

In all honesty, if we lost every game by less than one score and ended up with the #1 overall pick next year, which we could then trade for a king’s ransom, I’d be much happier than if we once again go 7-9 or 8-8. 

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

In all honesty, if we lost every game by less than one score and ended up with the #1 overall pick next year, which we could then trade for a king’s ransom, I’d be much happier than if we once again go 7-9 or 8-8. 

hxFQN.gif

Archived