Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Da_Truth

Its official... The problem with the skins has been annouced

The Redskins prepared, primarily, for the last war. Indeed, the Cowboys almost never blitzed. "They have Bill Parcells, so they are very well-prepared," Coles said. "It seems that they are anticipating what you are going to do. When you run a route, it seems like they are waiting for you."

Ok. notice the statement by Coles. They have Parcells so they are vert well prepared. Now is it just me or is he saying this like the cowgirls have a coach that actually prepares his team unlike SPURRIER?? Kind of a strange comment. A player giving credit to the coach instead of the team. Its official that the problem is Steve Spurrier guys. I did'nt want to believe it but you have the best offensive playmaker of the redskins giving you a hint. "It seems that they are anticipating what you are going to do. When you run a route, it seems like they are waiting for you." Nuff said. No creativity at all.

it's Spurrier, but part of the reason it is Spurrier is he hired a very green staff and is suffering from the fact that units other than his quarterbacks are failing to perform consistently.

not one unit on this team has played consistently this season.

each has had moments of productivity and passivity.

some such as the DL and TE/RBs have been in a deep funk.

Coles is well prepared and a smart player but Rod Gardner is a walking penalty flag.

How many times has he been called for illegal blocks, offsides/motion or offensive pass interference this season?

He killed two drives today with penalties.

I think we need another WR coach other than the HC's son, Steve Spurrier Jr. and we need to replace others such as Helton whose units have been disappointing based on the investment made in them.

Both Parcells and Vermeil are pushing 65-70 and I bet they still long far more hours at the office than the OBC. The argument for continuity is nice but somehow I just don't see this tiger changing its stripes. I wonder if Snyder is reconsidering his "absolutely" statement after today. True, our backup QB is in there and we're down to backup RBs, but to get shut out at home when you're paying this supposed offensive genius $5 million per........geez!

This front office has to start looking at assistants for teams like Tennessee, maybe Indianapolis, and others which have been solid over the past few years. Someone with a work ethic who is going to have this team show up.

It's a very telling statement. DrunkenBoxer, you want to READ this statement. It's HARD to complete a pass when they know everything you're trying to do out there. The problem here, right now, is, without question, Steve Spurrier. I'm still not convinced a change must be made, but, the problem isn't personnel. It's not the GM. It's not the players right now. Right now it's the coaching staff.

the other tiger who we can't count on to change his stripes, at least not in the short-term is Snyder :)

people are clamoring for Dennis Green or Jimmy Johnson but both of those coaches come in and want control over personnel.

after firing Marty because he couldn't keep his hand off the joystick, do you think Snyder is going to be able to meet the demands of these coaches in that regard?

If Spurrier is going to be fired or if he quits, look for the Skins to hire another coach that is not going to do much in the way of standing up to Snyder/Cerrato in the personnel area.

We are going through our own Chan Gailey, Dave Campo era as the Cowboys did several years ago and are paying the price for it.

I remember Doc Walker saying one time on the John Thompson show that Gibbs used to change his playbook every 4 weeks during the season because teams got tapes of your last 4 games. Contrast that with HBC who can't even come up with a decent game plan for one game. Anybody here think that Ballcoach has that kind of dedication and attention to detail ? Further, I wonder if he even realizes this fact of life (and others) in the NFL.

I just think our F.O. made a HUGE miscalculation in having a guy coaching only his second NFL season with so little NFL level coordinating experience to back him up. However, I think our F.O. made just as HUGE a miscalculation in hiring SOS in the first place so what do I know.:rolleyes:

Yusuf,

The front office doesn't hire the staff of coaches. Coaches hire their own staff. That's how it works just about everywhere in the league. Please don't hold our front office to a standard NO ONE else is held to. You hire a coach you believe in. You let the coach build his staff because you believe in him. You may want to do a few things differently, but, the fact is, this is how it's done. Head coaches don't surrender the composition of their staff very often.

let's not go down the road of just saying that we need experienced coordinators :)

yes, we DO need better coaching depth, however, why keep Spurrier if we are going to have TWO high profile coordinators as OC and DC who function as unofficial head coaches? :laugh:

why not just admit you don't have a head coach to begin with and move on? :D

All I had to do was open the paper this morning and I knew the Skins would lose:

Bad weather and injuries.

Skins offense: QB, RB1, RB2, LT, LG, C ...

Cowboys: Backup RB

There is no way in hell Hasslebeck could win this game. Even if we had Joe Gibbs coaching this game.

Cowboys had #4 defense last year, so moving up to #1 while commendable, is certainly not a miracle. Dallas had an outstanding D before Parcells came along, so if you look at what needed improvement(offense), he hasn't really done THAT good of a job yet.

yusuf is right about us not adapting the system which is why a guy like H Jackson needs to be around to tweak the offense with motion and fewer audibles.

Its all about execution

Mike,

You're way off on your stats. The Cowboys were in the teens on defense. Middle to low teens.

Originally posted by Art

Mike,

You're way off on your stats. The Cowboys were in the teens on defense. Middle to low teens.

Are you sure? I could have sworn they had a Top 5 D last season? Maybe it was just one part of their D.

Good point Art about the HC picking his own staff. However, I can't help but think that a GM with a respected NFL pedigree wouldn't have been able to impress on SOS the importance of having more experience behind him. A simple reminder of the help that the departed Lewis provided to SOS might have just been enough to do the trick. It's part of what GM's get paid to do after all.

Instead, our F.O. used up all their capital fighting SOS over Weurffel and Watson. Snyder and Co. could and should have picked their battles a bit better.

Nope. No part of their defense was. It was the year before. Not last year. No. 15 against the run and No. 18 against the pass.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Are you sure? I could have sworn they had a Top 5 D last season? Maybe it was just one part of their D.

The year before last they were #4. They were middle of the pack last year.

Originally posted by Art

... I'm still not convinced a change must be made, but, the problem isn't personnel...

I'm with you on the HBC, but this statement is just ridiculous. We have few, if any, real Pro Bowl-caliber players.

Not Lavar, not Champ, not Samuels, not Hall. Coles is a maybe, but is not really in the top 8 receivers I'd pick in this league.

I've been hearing how much talent this team has for months and it makes me hurl. We have NO players who I would give an A to.

There, I said it. No A-list players. Report cards ...

Offense:

WRs: Coles (B+ has never taken it to the house). Gardner (C good hands, mediocre speed, F for his Westbrook brains). DMac (C+ gets open only in the end zone)

TEs: Phlem (D+ cant block and cant hang on to the ball), do we have any other TEs?

OTs: Jansen (C+ run blocks Ok sometimes, cant stop the bull rush, cant count), Samuels (C+ mediocre run block, injuries kept him from doing anything with DREs last 2 years), Winey (B- played better than Samuels last couple weeks)

OGs: Thomas (B not bad, not great), Dockery (C lots of beef, no feet)

Cs: Moore (C- average run/pass blocker, below average line calls), Friedman (C+ much improved line calls, mediocre otherwise)

RBs: Canidate (C track speed dont translate, Betts (C some potential, cant stay on the field), Rock (B give him his name)

FBs: Johnson (C doesnt do anything that isnt mediocre)

QBs: Ramsey (B gotta gun and big heart, but slow to react in the pocket and mediocre touch), Hasselbeck (C dink and dunk but Ds can game plan him)

Defense:

DEs: All of them D- (must be the worst in the league)

DTs: All of them D+ (once in a while they make a play and we all ooh and ahh but they get pushed around and no pass rush)

LBs: Lavar (B big hits and athletic plays get noticed but cant get off blocks and runs himself out of plays), Trotter (C slow to react, slow to the ball, tackles are all downfield), Armstead (C see Trotter)

CBs: Champ (B doesnt make a play when its important, misses too many opportunities to make big play), Smoot (B+ keeper)

S: Iffy (C cant cover, takes bad angles, easily faked out), Bowen (C- see Iffy, biggest hit was first day of practice).

STs:

Ks: Hall (B+ made some good kicks with game on the line), Barker (D- yuck)

KRs: Morton (C+ runs into traffic, not a PR), Johnson (B- speed = potential)

We can talk schemes all we want but we dont have the studs up front and the rest of the "talent" base is Swiss cheese.

Its Vinnie thats gotta go ...

Funny that Smoot and Hall are probably our two most consistent and quality players given all the names on the team.

Seeing LaVar shoot into the frame and blow past someone trying to make a showtime tackle every week gets frustrating. I absolutely *love* the guy, but he needs to keep his head screwed on better.

-s

Originally posted by Art

Yusuf,

The front office doesn't hire the staff of coaches. Coaches hire their own staff. That's how it works just about everywhere in the league. Please don't hold our front office to a standard NO ONE else is held to. You hire a coach you believe in. You let the coach build his staff because you believe in him. You may want to do a few things differently, but, the fact is, this is how it's done. Head coaches don't surrender the composition of their staff very often.

Art, Norv did it alot. Other coaches on other teams have been asked; but most have quit.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Cowboys had #4 defense last year, so moving up to #1 while commendable, is certainly not a miracle. Dallas had an outstanding D before Parcells came along, so if you look at what needed improvement(offense), he hasn't really done THAT good of a job yet.

We, OTOH, had the #8 (in yardage).

Originally posted by yank

I'm with you on the HBC, but this statement is just ridiculous. We have few, if any, real Pro Bowl-caliber players.

Not Lavar, not Champ, not Samuels, not Hall. Coles is a maybe, but is not really in the top 8 receivers I'd pick in this league.

I've been hearing how much talent this team has for months and it makes me hurl. We have NO players who I would give an A to.

There, I said it. No A-list players. Report cards ...

Offense:

WRs: Coles (B+ has never taken it to the house). Gardner (C good hands, mediocre speed, F for his Westbrook brains). DMac (C+ gets open only in the end zone)

TEs: Phlem (D+ cant block and cant hang on to the ball), do we have any other TEs?

OTs: Jansen (C+ run blocks Ok sometimes, cant stop the bull rush, cant count), Samuels (C+ mediocre run block, injuries kept him from doing anything with DREs last 2 years), Winey (B- played better than Samuels last couple weeks)

OGs: Thomas (B not bad, not great), Dockery (C lots of beef, no feet)

Cs: Moore (C- average run/pass blocker, below average line calls), Friedman (C+ much improved line calls, mediocre otherwise)

RBs: Canidate (C track speed dont translate, Betts (C some potential, cant stay on the field), Rock (B give him his name)

FBs: Johnson (C doesnt do anything that isnt mediocre)

QBs: Ramsey (B gotta gun and big heart, but slow to react in the pocket and mediocre touch), Hasselbeck (C dink and dunk but Ds can game plan him)

Defense:

DEs: All of them D- (must be the worst in the league)

DTs: All of them D+ (once in a while they make a play and we all ooh and ahh but they get pushed around and no pass rush)

LBs: Lavar (B big hits and athletic plays get noticed but cant get off blocks and runs himself out of plays), Trotter (C slow to react, slow to the ball, tackles are all downfield), Armstead (C see Trotter)

CBs: Champ (B doesnt make a play when its important, misses too many opportunities to make big play), Smoot (B+ keeper)

S: Iffy (C cant cover, takes bad angles, easily faked out), Bowen (C- see Iffy, biggest hit was first day of practice).

STs:

Ks: Hall (B+ made some good kicks with game on the line), Barker (D- yuck)

KRs: Morton (C+ runs into traffic, not a PR), Johnson (B- speed = potential)

We can talk schemes all we want but we dont have the studs up front and the rest of the "talent" base is Swiss cheese.

Its Vinnie thats gotta go ...

Are you for real?!

All of these players; Lavar, Champ, Samuels, Hall, and Coles are Pro Bowl caliber players. They've been to the Pro Bowl. It has nothing to do with the players. Dallas has about half the talent we have on this team, yet they play up to their abilities because of Parcells. With the talent on this team, any real coach would have taken us to the Super Bowl.

I am starting to believe that maybe Spurrier shouldn't come back next year because he doesn't understand that a coach is not just somebody who draws up plays, that's a OC. A coach should be able to get his team to play for him at all cost no matter how the teams playoff chances look. A team needs some sort of motivation, and from what I see, that is an area he seems deficient at. He lacks an identity. With that, the team lacks identity. They don't know who they are because he doesn't know who he is. I guarantee you that if Parcells coached this team, not only would we be in the playoffs, we would have home field advantage.

You want to know what's really scary? This is just Parcells first year with Dallas.

In th words of Parcells, its all about production. I agree that they may have had Pro Bowl production in the past, but totally disagree that they have performed at that level for the past 2 years.

As Smoot says, its the clock and the Wilsons - that means once its teed up its all about the players. And we need upgrades at every position group except CB.