• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     
       
      Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 
       
      Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 
       
      If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 
       
      My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   
       
      Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  
       
      49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 
       
      1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers
       
      Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

      Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    
       
      That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

      Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 
       
      Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 
       
      How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 
       
      It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 
       
      3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  
       
      Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 
       
      End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 
       
      Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    
       
      Next week Kirk Cousins!   
       
       
Wildbunny

Welcome to the Redskins Jimmy Moreland CB James Madison

Recommended Posts

Quote
Walker-Rhiannon-Headshot-090318.jpg
 
Rhiannon Walker
STAFF
May 14, 7:34pm
 
 
@Anthony S. After talking to some of the coaches, they're interested in seeing if he [Jimmy Moreland] can move up the charts for the nickel and dime corner positions. As it is, they have Norman and Dunbar outside. Moreau and Stroman got heavy reps last season, then there's Danny Johnson, DRC and Adonis Alexander are also in the mix. He's got to climb up the depth charts past those guys before he could really think about starting. It's not impossible, given his attitude and ability to create plays, but we'll start to get a clearer picture as we work through minicamps, OTAs and training camp

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think the Skins are gonna end up being forced to cut a corner who's pretty good.

Or risk putting a really good prospect on the PS.

 

 

I can’t help but wonder if DRC will be the Orlando Scandrick of this year and be cut in favor of a youngin. 

 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Danny Johnson gets passed over for one of these newer dudes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

 

I can’t help but wonder if DRC will be the Orlando Scandrick of this year and be cut in favor of a youngin. 

 

 

I hope so...I just have this feeling that he's got nothing much left in the tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a position group worth paying attention too. Imagine if we had a young stud at CB. What if Adonis or Moreland develop into a CB1. They both from what I remember were touted ball hawks. We now have a pressure D given our talent in the front seven. At the very least teams should be one dimensional.  We need a CB1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

 

I can’t help but wonder if DRC will be the Orlando Scandrick of this year and be cut in favor of a youngin. 

Right, the young guys could make a strong case for the best choice from a long term perspective (Flowers, too, he might be inferior to the rookies for LG in camp).  Those two guys cost us the opportunity to get 2 comp picks.  And the guys they cancelled out, HHCD and Nsekhe, are a much more promising duo than DRC/Flowers.  

 

But on the flip side, I think every year has a late rounder/UDFA we all think is sure to break out, only to be replaced by the next late rounder/UDFA to come along.  Moreland / Holsey / Mitchel / Rambo / Crawford / Bernstine.  And the turnstile continues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

This is a position group worth paying attention too. Imagine if we had a young stud at CB. 

 

Like Fuller?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Kyle Fuller plays for the Chiefs

 

Thus the need to imagine

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, volsmet said:

 

Like Fuller?

 

 

Yes. and where is Fabian Monroe? Regardless it would be nice if Moreland can be that guy for us. We haven't had a lock down DB since Champ Bailey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Right, the young guys could make a strong case for the best choice from a long term perspective (Flowers, too, he might be inferior to the rookies for LG in camp).  Those two guys cost us the opportunity to get 2 comp picks.  And the guys they cancelled out, HHCD and Nsekhe, are a much more promising duo than DRC/Flowers.  

 

But on the flip side, I think every year has a late rounder/UDFA we all think is sure to break out, only to be replaced by the next late rounder/UDFA to come along.  Moreland / Holsey / Mitchel / Rambo / Crawford / Bernstine.  And the turnstile continues.

 

True as this is, we also have stories like Rouller, Ioannidis, Dunbar, JHC, Everett, etc. Is say we're good at developing these young guys. The thing is we often let them compete against one another and we kinda keep the younger person. Harris and Sims is an example. Similar big body undrafted WRs. We developed Harris into a starter and he got a good contract. Now he's been replaced by Sims (among others). 

 

I think the way we did Scandrick last year is really confident in our coaching because it showed faith in Hosley, Dunbar, Johnson and Mosley as young guys. 

 

I really hope that one can emerge as a number 1 corner so we can move in from Norman, and its still a question of what these guys ceiling is, but we'll see. 

34 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Yes. and where is Fabian Monroe? Regardless it would be nice if Moreland can be that guy for us. We haven't had a lock down DB since Champ Bailey. 

I disagree with that. If anything we've been getting shutdown corners all along

. Champ

. Smoot

. Springs

. Hall

. Rogers

 

Now we don't have one but I question if that's because we're playing this hybrid zone thing which is different that our old systems, and maybe that's easier in this new league with all the passing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shut down corners all along? Outside of Champ were any of those guys ever considered one of the Top 3-5 players at CB?

 

They all had some good to very good years but I don't see any consistent pro bowl or all-pro lockdown CB1 on that list.

 

We haven't had one since Champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

 

I can’t help but wonder if DRC will be the Orlando Scandrick of this year and be cut in favor of a youngin. 

 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Danny Johnson gets passed over for one of these newer dudes. 

The DRC signing was a great savvy move. Question marks at FS, plethora of questions at CB depth. Low risk, high reward. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The DRC signing was a great savvy move. Question marks at FS, plethora of questions at CB depth. Low risk, high reward. 

 

Yup, he’s good depth at both positions and I doubt he’s gonna rub people the wrong way like scandrick did. However, we only have so many spots and we’ve got a lot of potential in the building. It makes preseason so much more interesting now that our drafts and udfa’s are improving and pushing to make the roster. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

 

Yup, he’s good depth at both positions and I doubt he’s gonna rub people the wrong way like scandrick did. However, we only have so many spots and we’ve got a lot of potential in the building. It makes preseason so much more interesting now that our drafts and udfa’s are improving and pushing to make the roster. 


We aren't really building for this year. All things being equal, or nearly equal, and we should cut the 30-something year old CB and keep all of our young promising CB's. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:


We aren't really building for this year. All things being equal, or nearly equal, and we should cut the 30-something year old CB and keep all of our young promising CB's. 

 

I agree and given the choices made over the past couple seasons I’d say Jay Gruden feels the same way when it comes to youth with a higher ceiling than what an older vet can provide. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:


We aren't really building for this year. All things being equal, or nearly equal, and we should cut the 30-something year old CB and keep all of our young promising CB's. 

 

FO and coaches feel defense is ready to lead and dominate in games this year, so younger players have less leverage this upcoming year at some spots. 

Edited by wit33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Shut down corners all along? Outside of Champ were any of those guys ever considered one of the Top 3-5 players at CB?

 

They all had some good to very good years but I don't see any consistent pro bowl or all-pro lockdown CB1 on that list.

 

We haven't had one since Champ.

 

I mean, now we're splitting hairs. Yeah i do think that all of them were excellent in man coverage. Some better than others, some with better days but they weren't the problem with our defense. The problem was that we had no line and later that we were running them in a zone scheme that's like cover 3 instead of man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what are like the flaws in Moreland's game? I know he's undersized. But he apparently can play man. Does he gamble too much, is he suspect to double moves, does he turn his head? I'm interested in seeing some training camp battles and even more done Preseason games to see how he plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So, what are like the flaws in Moreland's game? I know he's undersized. But he apparently can play man. Does he gamble too much, is he suspect to double moves, does he turn his head? I'm interested in seeing some training camp battles and even more done Preseason games to see how he plays. 

 

According to the breakdown I linked to above, Cooley says he is able to be "big bodied", and an admission that playing at the level he did, the question arises did he ever face anyone with true speed.  Other than that, everything was really positive, good at reading receiver body language and keying QB eyes, defends the back shoulder well, excellent at jamming at the LOS, his interceptions weren't inflated by flukey tipped balls.  But we're talking about a small school prospect who wasn't invited to the combine, so it's probably going to be hard to know if he can hack it at this level until we see it.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

 

According to the breakdown I linked to above, Cooley says he is able to be "big bodied", and an admission that playing at the level he did, the question arises did he ever face anyone with true speed.  Other than that, everything was really positive, good at reading receiver body language and keying QB eyes, defends the back shoulder well, excellent at jamming at the LOS, his interceptions weren't inflated by flukey tipped balls.  But we're talking about a small school prospect who wasn't invited to the combine, so it's probably going to be hard to know if he can hack it at this level until we see it.

Yeah, this seems similar to Danny last year. I think he's faster than Danny though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

 

I mean, now we're splitting hairs. Yeah i do think that all of them were excellent in man coverage. Some better than others, some with better days but they weren't the problem with our defense. The problem was that we had no line and later that we were running them in a zone scheme that's like cover 3 instead of man. 

We are not splitting hairs. Do you believe that any of them were a Top 3-5 corner in their best years?

 

Would they have been better with our current front seven? Probably. But circumstances are exactly what they are..  circumstances.  

 

I don't think any of them were excellent in anything.  Yes. that includes man coverage. We need an upgrade at the position and that has been evident since we traded away Champ Bailey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.