Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kelvin Harmon WR North Carolina State

Wildbunny

6 hours ago, Art said:

I've watched his stuff.   I'm not overly concerned with his 40 time but he doesn't appear AT ALL QUICK to me.   A lot like Doctson who's faster in a straight line, but seems to have ZERO quickness.   This guy is a bit bigger and can be a solid player for us.   I just don't know that I've ever seen a No. 1 receiver taken this low.   Can anyone think of a legit No. 1 wideout out of the sixth round other than Antonio Brown, who is elite quick?

Hey, I'm not knocking him.   He's a good player with great production.   Super happy to have him.   I just can't see what I've seen of his skill set being a legit No. 1 receiver in the NFL.   But I hope in three years that's the dumbest thing I've ever said :).

Marques Colston Saints was taken in the 7th round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'dd add some more hype.  😀 To me the downside of adding any receiver though is typically its the hardest-slowest position to develop. Scot talked about it recently on a podcast.  But what the heck just like the Qb position, you just got to keep trying until you hit. NFL.com ranked our receiving crew as the 2nd worst in the NFL which sounds about right to me post Crowder leaving.  They had to do something.  Will see if it works. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, kameuh said:

Hope this guy can become Garcon 2.0

Skins offense hasn't been the same since he left.

That was exactly my thought on him too.  So we get our DJax replacement and our Pierre Garcon replacement.  I think we're poised to do big things down the road if the coaching staff can be patient and not start Dwayne Haskins right out the gates.   I would love it if we could wait until December to start him.  I don't care about our record this season - I want a good high draft pick next year to acquire a new LT to develop under Trent Williams and interior offensive line help.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

Hask, and ye shall receive!!  :)

If this group of skill players works out the way we hope they do it's gonna be a great ride....Guice, Hask, Harmon, Love and McLaurin....Next year get a stud TE and we are gonna have some nice ingredients. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Art said:

I've watched his stuff.   I'm not overly concerned with his 40 time but he doesn't appear AT ALL QUICK to me.   A lot like Doctson who's faster in a straight line, but seems to have ZERO quickness.   This guy is a bit bigger and can be a solid player for us.   I just don't know that I've ever seen a No. 1 receiver taken this low.   Can anyone think of a legit No. 1 wideout out of the sixth round other than Antonio Brown, who is elite quick?

Hey, I'm not knocking him.   He's a good player with great production.   Super happy to have him.   I just can't see what I've seen of his skill set being a legit No. 1 receiver in the NFL.   But I hope in three years that's the dumbest thing I've ever said :).

Marques Colston was one, but it's pretty rare. Pierre Garçon was also a late 6th rounder. Adam Thielen was undrafted. One thing Colston, Garçon, Thielen, and Brown all have in common were they were small school guys. Which helps explain why they were overlooked. Unfortunately that's not true for Harmon. Maybe a better comp could be someone like Doug Baldwin (undrafted, went to Stanford). Though oddly McLaurin gets compared to him a lot.

I will tell you one thing...NC State had a good WR unit. Jakobi Myers was signed by the Pats after the draft, and they have a couple of stud underclassmen...And they did a lot to hide Ryan Finley's deficiencies...but no one did it more than Harmon. Whenever they needed a big play, 3rd down, they went to Harmon, covered or not. Didn't matter if everyone knew it.

Another thing, with his physicality, he is hard for CBs to jam or play bump and run with. He can make them pay for that. And he has a great double move. 

The biggest knock on him was speed...there was never a time in watching him where I thought "man I wish he was faster". He isn't a burner, but that isn't his game. He ran every route. I seriously think this was the steal of the draft, and considering how badly we needed to get lucky with WR I feel great about this. Time will tell though.

• Like 2

With Harmon and McLauron, I am keeping the faith that Robert Davis and Cam Sims pan out to go with P-Rich and Quinn to form a nice WR corp.....

And no, I didn't forget about Doc. 

Hopefully this group can stay healthy and really step up to surprise people. 

• Thanks 1

Every damn year I love tape of the new shiny wideout, and every damn year they struggle to catch 10 passes if not struggle to stay off the practice squad. They always look so NFL ready to these eyes.  I read the weaknesses and it looks like the scouting report goes out of their way to find weaknesses, inventing up crap no one even knows about.

Last year we tried to go with rookies and they both got hurt in our first game. I wonder if the stats would show what I think is true, that rookie WRs have a higher than average rate of injuries, than all the other positions. 

I am glad we got a WR with size.  All those decades of all sub 6 foot WRs never led to anything.  Folks can point to Josh and his height, but at least he got 6 TDs that one year. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jericho said:

Marques Colston was one, but it's pretty rare. Pierre Garçon was also a late 6th rounder. Adam Thielen was undrafted. One thing Colston, Garçon, Thielen, and Brown all have in common were they were small school guys. Which helps explain why they were overlooked. Unfortunately that's not true for Harmon. Maybe a better comp could be someone like Doug Baldwin (undrafted, went to Stanford). Though oddly McLaurin gets compared to him a lot.

So it would be great if Harmon had the career of either guy.   But I don't consider either guy a legit No. 1.   Garcon only had one year that could be considered No. 1 material in his career.   Colston is a bit harder to discuss because he was so consistently productive, but I'd still say he only had one year, his second, in which his numbers fully qualified as true No. 1 material.   But the Saints had so many weapons and spread the ball he actually might qualify and he's a lot like this pick for sure.   Again, if Harmon has any sort of career like those two he'll probably be the best pick of this draft for us, so I hope that happens.   I just see No. 1 receivers a bit differently, especially in the pass happy league we're in.   They are around 100 catches.   Over 1250 yards.   Routinely.

Antonio Brown, Deandre Hopkins, Julio Jones.   Maybe Mike Evans sneaks in there based on body of work.   Michael Thomas may be entering that.   In any case, I'd love to see Harmon be one of those guys too :).

35 minutes ago, Art said:

So it would be great if Harmon had the career of either guy.   But I don't consider either guy a legit No. 1.   Garcon only had one year that could be considered No. 1 material in his career.   Colston is a bit harder to discuss because he was so consistently productive, but I'd still say he only had one year, his second, in which his numbers fully qualified as true No. 1 material.   But the Saints had so many weapons and spread the ball he actually might qualify and he's a lot like this pick for sure.   Again, if Harmon has any sort of career like those two he'll probably be the best pick of this draft for us, so I hope that happens.   I just see No. 1 receivers a bit differently, especially in the pass happy league we're in.   They are around 100 catches.   Over 1250 yards.   Routinely.

Antonio Brown, Deandre Hopkins, Julio Jones.   Maybe Mike Evans sneaks in there based on body of work.   Michael Thomas may be entering that.   In any case, I'd love to see Harmon be one of those guys too :).

Man if you don't consider Michael Thomas a #1 you've got some high expectations lol. 

But I agree, as much as I love Harmon, its hard for me to see him as a true #1. I mean, he could be our #1...But yeh, he is not Julio or Mike Evans. Not a guy the other team has to spend a ton of time game planning around. I think Garcon is a good comparison, and agree, he was never a real #1 WR. I could see him as a 60-70 catch, 6-10 TD guy. I think someone mentioned Alshon Jeffery. I would call that his ceiling. Which, for a 6th rounder, would be amazing for us. 

1 minute ago, dballer said:

Man if you don't consider Michael Thomas a #1 you've got some high expectations lol. 

But I agree, as much as I love Harmon, its hard for me to see him as a true #1. I mean, he could be our #1...But yeh, he is not Julio or Mike Evans. Not a guy the other team has to spend a ton of time game planning around. I think Garcon is a good comparison, and agree, he was never a real #1 WR. I could see him as a 60-70 catch, 6-10 TD guy. I think someone mentioned Alshon Jeffery. I would call that his ceiling. Which, for a 6th rounder, would be amazing for us. 

I think Michael Thomas is right on the cusp of it and may already be there but, again, the Saints are so good on offense and he's still pretty young.   I probably judge the Saints receivers with a curve that is not fair to them in that he should be at 110 catches, 1400 yards and 10 TDs every year given that offensive production and QB to be a legit No. 1.   Hell, Hopkins puts up better numbers and he's it over there in Houston on a ****ty offense by comparison.   But, yeah, Thomas is probably in there already.   I totally agree with the rest of your post as well.   It would be tremendous to see him as a solid 60-catch guy.   Really awesome if that's his top end we got very lucky.

• Confused 1

On 4/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, Morrison J said:

You should watch his tape instead of being put off by the round he was selected in tbh. Projected 2nd rounder in most places pre-draft. The talent isn't really in question. Teams put off by combine numbers. The tape doesn't lie. He's really good. I like him more than McLaurin tbh. 

X2, although I don't really care about the tape too much other than in what it reveals about how he wins despite being a sub-athlete.. I like his market share enough, enough, and his breakout age is okay (he broke out in his age 20 season), and if you take a look at what he did in his sophmore and junior years, it's pretty damn impressive. 

Vs South Carolina: 10-114

Vs Louisville: 6-133-1

@pitt: 3-113

@ Notre Dame: 7-97-1

Vs Clemson: 8-155-1

Vs ASU in Bowl Game: 4-24

as a 21 year old:

Vs Virginia 6-94-1

@ Clemson 2-13 (yuck)

@ Syracuse 11-247-2

@ Louisville 7-100-1