Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kelvin Harmon WR North Carolina State

Wildbunny

So one thing I don’t get...

Richardson plays flanker/Z, McLuaren is more of a flanker (IMO), Sims played at the flanker spot last preseason, Quinn is our slot guy, but can play out at Z... and now we’re working Harmon out at Z too.  So what’s the plan at X beyond Josh “last year of his contract” Doctson?

I also seem to recall a similar situation when Pryor was here...

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Richardson plays flanker/Z, McLuaren is more of a flanker (IMO), Sims played at the flanker spot last preseason, Quinn is our slot guy, but can play out at Z... and now we’re working Harmon out at Z too.  So what’s the plan at X beyond Josh “last year of his contract” Doctson?

Some think McLaurin can play X so maybe that's it?    

Edit:  I just watched some practice footage, Harmon catching balls from what i saw on the right side, McLaurin on the left.  The left is typically the X side, right typically the Z side.  So maybe McLaurin will play X.

Harmon from what i recall played both Z and X in NC State but recall more Z unless i am misremembering.  i got to go back and watch his games again.

15 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Interesting athletic comparison. Looks like Sanu was a better athlete, other than 40 time, and also was a little longer. One can hope though!!

That is a great comparison and he was a third rounder, where Harmon was expected to go.  Sanu has enjoyed nice career to date with almost 350 catches and a load of other receivers he must share receptions with.

I saw Rutgers play Army and Yankee Stadium his senior year and he was the best player on the field and it wasn't close. 

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Doctson is out as far as I'm concerned.  When the Redskins didn't pick up his option, that pretty much spelled the end of his time here.  What a tremendous disappointment and a real black spot on McLoughan's short time here as GM.  

I think they plan to develop these guys and maybe snag a true #1 WR next year in the first round, especially if they are picking in the top 10.

7 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I think they plan to develop these guys and maybe snag a true #1 WR next year in the first round, especially if they are picking in the top 10.

Personally I don't see any way we pick in the top 10. To me the question is, do you deal? Do you trade up to target a serious talent at WR for Haskins, figuring that in '21 that pick is in the late 20s.................

23 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Looks like the Skins may have a problem at WR.

However, it could potentially be a good problem.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, skinny21 said:

At first, I expected Harmon to play X, too, because of his skill-set. But I can see why they want him not an X because his weakness is beating press coverage and getting separation. And since the split-end receiver (X) has to play on the line, he is likely to be opposed by the defensive’s best corner and that means getting jammed at the line, press coverage, and boxed by a safety. The flanker role can play off the line, making the TE eligible, and with that ‘cushion’ can get open easier. Kelvin Harmon was excellent last year with off-coverage and in zone. 

So now my mind is racing because I can see a new paradigm at WR with the future being McLaurin at X, Harmon at Z and Quinn at Y. This lineup may be realized sooner than later as Richardson is oft injured and Doctson could continue his pedestrian trend and get replaced by McLaurin. 

It could work but I still think we might need a Doctson sized X but a faster more sure-handed receiver, probably a 2020 1st rounder. However,  If our offensive strategy will primarily be a running team eating up clock and lots of 3rd and shorts, then we likely don't need that type of elite receiver. I hope Mclaurin and Harmon work then we can then instead draft a 1st round CB to have our D completely set. 

Man Harmon does look like Julio a lot. If he can even be half of a wideout it would be amazing. But let’s face it how many sixth rounders ever make an amazing impact their first year. 

I know many are down on Doctson but I’m hoping he finally comes around. Maybe with some stability at QB with Haskins that will make a difference. He just wasn’t Kirks guy and never had a chance with Alex and then had to deal with a lot of other qbs. I’m rooting for him. 

39 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

But let’s face it how many sixth rounders ever make an amazing impact their first year. 

He dropped a lot.

I think he was originally projected around the 3rd round, and no-one can quite agree on the reasons he dropped, and many acknowledge there wasn't strong enough reasons for him to drop.

So I would not base his potential on where he was actually selected.

Some are calling his selection the best steal in the entire draft.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He dropped a lot.

I think he was originally projected around the 3rd round, and no-one can quite agree on the reasons he dropped, and many acknowledge there wasn't strong enough reasons for him to drop.

So I would not base his potential on where he was actually selected.

Some are calling his selection the best steal in the entire draft.

My point isn’t his potential. Sure he develop into a productive wideout and there’s plenty of wide receivers taken late that become awesome. I just can’t see him posting great numbers his first year. If he can get us 40 catches and 600 yards that would be a great return. 

https://art19.com/shows/cooley-and-kevin/episodes/5d721266-502c-46bc-a907-64b251c8e4d4

I found it interesting that at 1:24:28 Cooley says that he has Harmon graded as the best blocking wide receiver in the draft.

He also said earlier in the segment that Harmon was great against press, which conflicts with some other reports I've read and was a potential worry for me.

• 2 months later...

This is nice to hear about - Harmon working on press coverage. Something I thought wasn’t his strength in college. Gruden’s presser on Wednesday the 30th was pretty damning about Doctson’s inability to beat press coverage and would become the 2nd to 3rd receiver in the progression instead of the first. If Harmon can use those feet like the tweet below consistently with his body, I see him moving into the starting receiver sooner than later. Fantastic work. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_keim/status/1156976988109885440

On 5/19/2019 at 12:53 AM, Fresh8686 said:

https://art19.com/shows/cooley-and-kevin/episodes/5d721266-502c-46bc-a907-64b251c8e4d4

I found it interesting that at 1:24:28 Cooley says that he has Harmon graded as the best blocking wide receiver in the draft.

He also said earlier in the segment that Harmon was great against press, which conflicts with some other reports I've read and was a potential worry for me.

On the draft thread months ago, I posed a bit about Harmon -- I watched multiple games of his pre draft.  To my eyes, he's a physical receiver who can beat press, is a feisty blocker, is a good YAC guy and catches 50-50 balls.  He's a fun watch -- his attitude and style reminds me of Pierre Garcon -- he's not as fast as Garcon but he plays physical like he does.  

I watched 5 camp practices and I thought Harmon was good.  He made some nice catches.  I think he's getting lost in the sauce some because Sims and McLaurin are looking especially good in camp but I think Harmon has a decent shot to be good. 

Every damn WR draft pick of our always looks ready to be an NFLer to me

We can say those highlights were "only against college DBs blah blah" but a tough catch in tight coverage is still a unique skill. 

He looks big and physical. I wonder if he has vaulted Mike Quick or if they are even competing against each other. Or, if his fate has already been decided (barring injuries) - that he is headed to the famed practice squad. 

Wait... Doctson has struggles against press coverage - off to bump the Josh doesn't care thread.  No wonder he only gets 5 targets as our #1.

GO HARMON!

37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think at this point, Quick is just a body...an emergency body

Yep, but I have thought that for what seems like 3 years now, and he keeps on hanging around!

Sure he gets cut once or twice a season, but he doesn't seem to mind too much for he keeps coming back. Coaches like vets amidst the kids - its not always about talent or upside.

I am very interested to learn more after Jay said Doctson’s inability to beat press coverage (often??) makes him become the 2nd to 3rd receiver in the progression. I think that is all we need to know about why Bruce didn't pick up that 5th year.  That maybe just maybe opens a door for Harmon. 

Heck it seems like being a young WR is more about getting to the spot you need to be and when (routes and timing), and blocking, first and foremost.... and for the bubble guys, can they play teams.

After I watched some of his cutups, the name that first popped into my head as a comparison for Harmon was Dwayne Bowe. Similar builds and styles of play. Big, super physical, good but not elite athleticism, good but not elite route running, ok speed but not much of a top gear, excellent body control, excellent hands.

Archived