Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Wes Martin OL Indiana

PCS

Callhan will have to really work on his pad level in the run game.  I think he gets excited and trusts his upper body strength too much.  He wants to bury his man and you can't always do that.  Watch the film again.  Note that on a lot of run plays his helmet is higher than his opponent.  Ok for a tackle.  Not good for a guard.  A good guard is a knee bender.  I tell my guard's that if they can't see the defender's chin strap then they're playing too high.  If he tries that vs Ionnaidas, Payne, Allen, or even Settle he's going to be knocked on his ass.  Hopefully that will happen early on so he'll realize what he needs to do.  (He should watch film of Brandon Scherff; who almost always has his helmet below his opponent - hence the reason he's one of the best guards in the NFL.)  It can definitely be fixed though and I attribute his bad habit to his aggressive mentality.  I think he gets excited and wants to big boy his man. 

He has a good first step to cut off back side 1 tech; gets his helmet between the defender and the ball and gets that second power step up-field in a hurry.  That's not an easy thing to do and too often we've seen our LG miss and the poor RB wondering how in the hell he got hit from behind so quickly on an outside zone run.  On play side he does a good job on combos.  Not super athletic in the open field but really in today's scheme you'd rather for your lineman to get in the way of defenders and impede their progress.  Pancakes are nice but it's more important to screen the defender and let the RB read it out.

I really like his mental acuity and footwork in pass pro.  He maintains a wide base and, iIronically, he does get his butt down in pass pro after he anchors.  (He'll need to anchor sooner tho vs NFL talent and I'm sure he'll realize that in training camp).  He does a really good job of recognizing stunts and passing off his man.  He stays active and doesn't just guard grass.  He looks for work. 

Overall, I like the kid and not having seen Flowers play guard yet I'd give him the edge (based on potential) to be the week 1 starting LG. 

P.S.  Watch his hand placement.  Experts talk so much about it for defenders but really it's just as important for offense.  He does an excellent job of keeping his hands in the chest.  Which will negate a lot of holding calls and will help him to maintain control of his man.  He does a good job of mirroring with his feet too. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The best part of this is all the fans coming to the defense of Lavaou, claiming when he was healthy he was OK. I have no idea what they were watching, when he was signed Browns fans could not understand it.  Always a bad sign when a Browns fan is laughing at your team.  

As for this pick I am guilty of looking at the player rankings too and making a determination which is not really the way to do it.   Mixed results but enough positive ones to make me feel better about this pick.

Just read Mark Bullock's breakdown of Wes Martin.  (It's on The Athletic)

Long story short, he thinks Martin is going to push for the starting role against Ereck Flowers immediately.

Pro's:

- Consistency, Mark Bullock was surprised at how consistent he was

- Recognizes stunts/blitzers and when to help well

- Strong

- Moves feet well while blocking to keep defender from gaining angles

- Moves forward well to connect on reach blocks or hitting linebackers in the 2nd level

Con's:

- Moves poorly when trying to pull.  He's ok while pulling, but getting out of his stance and starting to move across the line is pretty awkward for him.

- Arm length is just 'OK' for a Guard, and he's pretty susceptible to the Push/Pull move (something our own Jon Allen does well)

On 4/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

RG: Scherff

LG: Scherff-'light'

Scherff is awesome in the blocking game at another level, but Wes isn't going to get that right away.  I like the pick and his story.  I think it might take him a year to get to another level.  He doesn't have to get far to eclipse Lavou.  I think his pass pro might get there first. 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, ThomasRoane said:

P.S.  Watch his hand placement.  Experts talk so much about it for defenders but really it's just as important for offense.  He does an excellent job of keeping his hands in the chest.  Which will negate a lot of holding calls and will help him to maintain control of his man.  He does a good job of mirroring with his feet too. 

Late to this party but great write up. I would argue hands are more important for a guard than their feet (not that feet are not important). At guard everything happens right now - need to get your hands on your man in the right place so you can control him. This is one of the reasons I just dont think Flowers is going to transition well to guard!

16 hours ago, MartinC said:

This is one of the reasons I just dont think Flowers is going to transition well to guard!

Although everything that has been said relating to Flowers was his transition to guard, Im not sure I actually believe that, not totally anyway.

He was picked up about a week before the news broke about Trent having a major health scare which would have resulted in him missing this season. I think Flowers was acquired with one eye in that situation too. But the news around Trent wasn't in the public domain. Just a suspicion on my part.

As for Martin, I think he starts week 1. No doubt from me.

He's slightly undersized for the position.  Makes up for it with strength and toughness and patience.  Has a compact build like Payne with minimal sloppy weight.  Looks stiff in his hips but has quick feet and good balance to cope after he engages without falling off the block.  I like him.  He is smart and clean and tough and has explosive power.  The size is why he was available to us on day three instead of going higher.  That doesn't seem to be a huge deterrence to us as we've been getting a little smaller in the interior of our lines on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's slightly undersized for the position.  Makes up for it with strength and toughness and patience.  Has a compact build like Payne with minimal sloppy weight.  Looks stiff in his hips but has quick feet and good balance to cope after he engages without falling off the block.  I like him.  He is smart and clean and tough and has explosive power.  The size is why he was available to us on day three instead of going higher.  That doesn't seem to be a huge deterrence to us as we've been getting a little smaller in the interior of our lines on both sides of the ball.

I hated the pick initially, but upon further research, it has grown on me. Given that he is going to be competing against Erik Flowers and the corpses of a bunch of LG's, I think he has a really good chance to start. It would be a great success if he can start and be good. Martin-Roullier-Scherff would at least give us a solid young trio on the interior, and then we can focus on solidifying the tackle position. 

Archived