Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bryce Love RB Stanford

PCS

Welcome to the Redskins young man. Enjoy your stay. 

2562406.png&f=png&w=308&c=71

Bryce Love NFL Draft Profile

HEIGHT 5' 9"

WEIGHT 200 lbs

ARMS 29 3/8”

HANDS 9 1/8”

Prospect Grade

CHANCE TO BECOME NFL STARTER

Overview

Frenetic runner with explosive engine that was grounded in 2018 due to lingering injury and substandard run-blocking. Love lacks the desired size of a volume runner, but his sudden burst and top-end speed offer home-run potential that is unlikely to be ignored by teams looking to add a big-play option into their offense. Love could find his calling in a time-share situation, but his ceiling as a pro might rest on his ability to run with decisiveness and threaten as a pass-catcher..

Strengths

Character considered an A+ by scouts

Highly intelligent and quick to process new information

Willing to play through pain

Keeps feet moving through his reads

Quick, controlled steps provide balance and on-demand acceleration

Wins foot races around the corner against linebackers

Burst and top-end speed to turn 16 yards into 60

Runs feet through contact as interior runner

Able to get skinny and squeeze through tight creases

Slides and pivots around big bodies littering his path

Rare ability to stay square in his lateral movements away from tacklers

Better pass-catching option than numbers would indicate

*Click Link for More* 

• Thanks 1

A Letter to NFL GMs

Dear NFL GMs,

My name is Bryce Love, and I’m the best running back in this draft.

You might know me from 2017.

From this:

15e91c36-bryce-love-arizona_gif1.gif?wid

Or this:

f9a26020-brycelove-gif11.gif?width=500

Or this:

706c3231-bryce-love-sdsu-gif3.gif?width=

[...]I know that some people are wondering about my durability, but let’s dig in and really examine that. In four seasons at Stanford, I only missed four games total. I tore my ACL in the very last game of my collegiate career, giving everything I could to score and help my team defeat our biggest rival. That desire to win is coming with me to whichever franchise drafts me.

[...]Those videos up above, don’t get me wrong … they’re exciting. It’s great to run fast, hurdle defenders, break tackles and stiff-arm dudes on your way to the end zone.

But here’s what I’m talking about right now. Keep an eye on the middle linebacker coming in hot.

8c8076c2-bryce-love-stan-gif4.gif?width=

Pass protection, man. It’s so important — crucial really. And I’m all about it at this point.

It may not be sexy. And it doesn’t end up with a cool celebration in the end zone, but if you want to be considered a top-flight back in the league you better know how to protect your franchise quarterback. You better be able to pick up blitzes, and stand up linebackers, and pretty much have eyes in the back of your head.

9d82aacf-brycelove-usc-gif10.gif?width=5

I honestly believe that pass protection has now become one of the things I’m best at. And I take immense pride in that — in keeping my quarterback clean.

[...]I can still take it to the house and do everything you’d expect out of a great runner, and do damage catching the ball out of the backfield.

e5fc59f9-bryce-love-ucf-gif6.gif?width=5

But now I can also be relied on to keep the pocket clean so the offense can connect on that deep shot to the post.

9cbd6429-bryce-love-sdsu-gif8.gif?width=

There's a ****load more here lol...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/bryce-love-nfl-draft

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

A little disappointed.  Was this guy at the top of what was left on their draft board?  They had no one else to consider selecting to fill other more pressing needs?

We basically have 3 RB's that will make the roster now, barring injury.  Just a little puzzling and a little disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Well...when you have a starting RB who is coming off an ACL, and may not be ready for the start of the season what do you do if your the Redskins? Draft another RB coming off an ACL who may not be ready to play the entire 2019 season, who IMO was highly overrated as a pro prospect to begin with!! What is it about the 4th rd of the draft, that we continue to waste picks on players who would be lucky to be drafted in the 7th if at all??? 2018 - Troy Apke, 2017 -  Montae Nicholson!!! 

Please....never again trade back into the 4th rd., just draft a real player in the 3rd!!!! 

Rodney Anderson - RB Oklahoma, is a much better prospect than Love at this point!!

Edited by THE HAMMER'IN HOG
  • Like 1

Love (5’9/200) changed the pace for Christian McCaffrey early in his career before erupting for one of the most prolific rushing lines in NCAA history as a junior (263/2,118/8.1/19) to win the 2017 Doak Walker and Lombardi Awards as the nation’s top running back and overall player. Unfortunately, his yards per carry plummeted from 8.1 to 4.5 as a senior, and Love tore his ACL in Stanford’s regular season finale, preventing him from testing before the draft. Built like a smallish scatback with limited passing-game experience after catching just 49 passes in four seasons, Love was a great college runner who may best transition as a Tevin Coleman-level complementary player. Leading up to the draft, reports indicated Love has continued to experience knee stiffness stemming from the ACL tear. Ian Rapoport speculated this could be an investment for 2020, not 2019, if the medicals remain an issue. As we all know, Derrius Guice returns from a knee injury after missing his entire rookie season.

"He got hurt early on and kept re-aggravating it when he was trying to gut it out and help his team. His blocking stunk this year so you can basically just write him off of last year's (2017) tape. He’s an explosive player." -- West Coast scout for NFC team

Love was banged up throughout 2018, plus defenses sold out to stop him. As a result, his numbers were down. In 2018, Love averaged 4.6 yards per carry for 665 yards with six touchdowns. He had 18 receptions for 80 yards as well. Love missed the Sun Bowl while recovering from December surgery for a torn ACL.

When Love is healthy, he is a special back who can be a game-changer. Here is how one college director summarized Love after watching him during the fall of 2017, "He has great [speed]. If the other 10 all execute their jobs for a second or two, this guy is gone. He is special. He has great vision, balance, [shiftiness], and more strength to get through tackles than you would think. I graded him late [in Round 1] before he decided to come back [for 2018]."

What really sets Love apart as a runner is his speed. He is an extremely fast back who is a threat to take any carry to the end zone. With his rare acceleration and explosiveness, Love can to get to the secondary in a blur. Once in the open field, he will run away from the defenders, and his speed can take away angles. Love has a great first-step and darts through the hole to get into the second level of the defense. In the open field, Love also is elusive, although not as shifty as McCaffrey. Love is more straight line than McCaffrey was at Stanford.

Love has superb vision to go along with his balance and knee bend. While he has more strength than one would expect, Love isn't a power runner for the NFL and won't just run over tacklers. He does finish his runs well and can pick up some yards after contact. Love has receiving and blocking ability for the NFL, but his receiving could use more development.

The biggest issue for Love is durability. He dealt with injuries the past two seasons and then tore an ACL. On top of getting hurt a lot, Love is undersized for an NFL feature back, which makes it difficult to believe that he will stay healthy as a pro.

For the NFL, Love would be best being paired with a power back who can split the work load, similar to Alvin Kamara in New Orleans. Love can contribute as a receiver, and will be a good runner against nickel defenses when teams have their sub packages in the game with one fewer linebacker and smaller defensive linemen. Love may not have the size and build to be a three-down feature back in the NFL and could really benefit by being paired with a physical bellcow back who will help Love to stay healthy and fresh.

In the 2019 NFL Draft, Love could be a mid- or late-round pick. He may even go undrafted because some teams could flunk him medically. If Love gets back to his 2017 form and is able to stay healthy, he could be a massive steal.

(insert training staff jokes here lol)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Art said:

I assume the front office thought another team would take a chance on him and decided to pull the trigger.  I guess looking big picture, they have some draft picks left, and this isn't a terrible choice.  I just hope this guy rebounds, is ready for training camp, and regains his 2017 first round pick form.  We do have 3 RB's, but one is injury prone, one is getting old and one is coming off the same injury.

Vision -Can be passive pressing into the line of scrimmage, would be well served to get in line behind his pullers and be more quick to make a move up the field to diminish negative runs. Second level vision is tremendous to break into space and avoid pursuit.

Feet/Change of Direction -Likable awareness of utilizing trail foot to toe drag and slow quickly for sudden cuts. Needs to be more aware of sustaining forward momentum and not spending too much time as a stationary target. Natural balance as a free runner to cut and contort is strong.

Durability -Has not had a healthy season in either of the two seasons in which he was asked to be a feature back. Slight frame is a notable cause for concern, will be a barrier to high volume workloads. Has suffered lower body injuries that inhibit cut ability even when he can play through.

Balance -Control of hips and feet allow for sudden cuts and shifts in his weight. Has the physical ability to carry speed through cuts as well although discipline to press forward is not always consistent. Contact balance is soft, does not play through lateral contact well.

Pass Protection -Is not physical enough in protection. Will get pushed around by defenders looking to get into the face of the passer, Love simply lacks the anchor needed to drop down and hold his ground effectively. 3rd down reps would be better served as a receiver.

Elusiveness -Highly elusive runner with skill in setting up tacklers in the alleyway to take false steps and miss. Lateral quickness is superb, capable of cutting or bouncing suddenly into the sideline. Second gear is tremendous...when healthy.

Receiving Ability -Usage has been highly limited after a promising freshman season in 2015. Has all the needed quickness to win out of the backfield in match-ups against linebackers, although will need a lot of reps to catch up for limited development in this area.

Short Yardage Skill -Does not possess any notable levels of contact balance or lower leg drive to push through the pile and help force conversions on his own. Gets stacked up and pulled down far too easily by tacklers when challenged by a free arm in space.

Football Intelligence -Has received hand-offs from numerous alignments in the backfield: heavy backfields, single back, shotgun, etc. Irregular results with vision and setting up blockers, can't seem to transition out of the mesh point without a delayed reaction if first hole isn't available.

Effort -Illustrated some of the most impressive mental toughness I've witnessed in recent memory, gutting out large parts of 2017 season on a bum ankle. Can be guilty at times of trying to make too much happen in the backfield, for better and for worse.

BEST TRAIT - Elusiveness

WORST TRAIT - Durability

BEST FILM - UCLA (2017)

WORST FILM - San Diego State (2018)

RED FLAGS - Durability concerns

Stanford RB Bryce Love projects most favorably as part of a stable of backs, his lack of durability is a significant barrier to featured success. In addition, Love struggles to consistently follow his blockers in power rushing concepts and can be passive pressing the line of scrimmage. As a result, his speed to the perimeter would be best implemented as an outside zone back and regular rotation of snaps.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

YUP!!! What else is new under Snyder!!!! 

The Redskins offensive line has four guys who were picked in the Top 10 of the NFL draft.   Flowers is not inspiring and Cooper may not be, though Cooper actually looked damn good before he got hurt last year.   Moses, Roullier, Scherff and Williams are dead locks to start.    There is one spot open for any sort of fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh rounder competing against two Top 10 picks, one of which ACTUALLY looked less than ****ty.    Christian was drafted in the third round a year ago as a bit weak, bit underweight swing tackle with upside.   He should actually be more NFL ready than last year where you could tell he hadn't beefed or strengthed up enough.   Bergstrom is acceptable depth on the inside with Roullier, assuming Cooper and/or Flowers don't **** the bed.

I join you in wishing we had a lock in guy at that spot and probably would have gone offensive line in the first round for that spot had I had my druthers.   But at this point it seriously doesn't matter if we draft an offensive lineman or not as he's not starting this year and we'd HATE to even see him play this year.   And I am reasonably confident we'll add one or two more offensive linemen with picks we have left hoping one can be developed.

But, do grasp anyone we pick up here out will have an odd draft grade as this is when the Redskins like to draft on guys who have upside, which also means guys with serious downside :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I realize that there’s lots of question marks when it comes to this kids durability, but man he is elusive! 

If healthy, Bryce Love will be the most dynamic player on any field this season. 

Solid pick but the OL is getting some serious neglect this weekend. Sorta makes you wonder if there’s  something brewing outside of the draft. 

13 minutes ago, Morrissey1972 said:

I realize that there’s lots of question marks when it comes to this kids durability, but man he is elusive! 

If healthy, Bryce Love will be the most dynamic player on any field this season. 

Solid pick but the OL is getting some serious neglect this weekend. Sorta makes you wonder if there’s  something brewing outside of the draft. 

Or if they have more faith in guys like Flowers and Bergstrom than fans think they should have...

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Another home run hitter. Love all the speed. 3/5 are some of the fastest at they're positions. Great investment, spends at least half the year on IR and doesn't take a roster spot. 

As an investment I really, REALLY like the gamble. But I can't help but wonder if they really needed to pick him at that spot. Maybe so, could be someone else thought of hiom as a worthwhile investment, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Califan007 said:

As an investment I really, REALLY like the gamble. But I can't help but wonder if they really needed to pick him at that spot. Maybe so, could be someone else thought of hiom as a worthwhile investment, too. 

If hes CT 2.0, a 4rth is well worth it.

• Like 5