Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There's gotta be a catch.  The way people talk about him, he does everything well, he takes coaching, he improves, nice guy, good teammate, he's got speed, good hands, willing blocker, decent route runner, plays special teams.  This cat seems like the best receiver in history.  

Aside from Haskins, he is the guy I want to see the most on the entire roster.  If he's half as good as we hear, we may have something 

The catch is that it's mid-July and our third round draft pick hasn't played a single down of NFL football. Every pick except for the first one is a nice guy who takes coaching, improves, is a good teammate, and has good physical stature. The only reason the first round picks aren't always considered perfect is because they get panned so much inthe draft. The rest are perfect until they aren't.

Unfortunately, I have found its best for my "expectation generator" to pump the brakes on any WR we draft.

It will take quite a bit for a skins rookie to unseat one of Doctson or Richardson.  Other rookies, not as much... but again, skins rookies. Slot seems open for the taking for a kid. Quinn has the inside track. IIRC Jay said Sims does good work out of the slot.  I am not sure if Terry can play in the slot....

With all that in mind, I expect his biggest presence will be seen on coverage teams.   Until preseason of course, when I will likely be proclaiming we found a number 1.

A rookie WR that can play teams... seems to me we can already pencil him in as a number 5 at worst.  We often gush about a young WR, and then as preseason starts to wind down, get reminded that roster cuts dictate the preseason sensation cough bubble WRs have to play teams. He ticks that box so that provides a lot of optimism to me. Once your foot is in the door via teams, you are well on your way to a pro career. For it provides a kid time to learn and develop and not bounce around on practice squads, demoralized or hoping for an injury.

Edited by RandyHolt

15 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

I'm excited about the young stable of Wrs.  The unkown untapped potential between Terry, Sims,Harmon and Quinn should result in having two emerge as bona fide starters. 

Terry in particular presents interesting qualities due to size and athletic ability which is enhanced by route nuance and work ethic. When the training camp tweets start rolling in I will definitely be addicted.

That sounds nice but outside of Terry, they're a bunch of big guys who were drafted late or undrafted. I love it when players outplay their draft position, but expecting it from 50% of these guys could be asking a lot. I'm still expecting Doctson to put up 35-& 500 as a number 2 and hopefully Terry can establish himself as a reliable number 1 option. That could set this WR core apart from everything else. I think there is a lot of potential there, but I think he has the most. Otherwise there are questions like can Quinn/Harmon hold down the slot, can Richardson/Sims stay healthy and make plays. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Otherwise there are questions like can Quinn/Harmon hold down the slot, can Richardson/Sims stay healthy and make plays. 

And above all, the question of whether most or all of them can stay healthy.

EDIT : Sorry, I see you mentioned that with the last 2 guys, but it really applies to all of them, especially given other players' injury history, like Doctson, Quinn, etc.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Imagine if every one of our young players, or even most of them, actually live up to their hype and potential.

That would make us a great football team. Contenders for sure.

I’ve been beating this drum for the last year and a half but our drafts the past three seasons have been uncharacteristically good when you look around league wide. I mean we’re realistically looking at 5 potential starters or role players in McLaurin Martin Holcomb and Moreland and Sweat. Doesn’t even count our first pick and the guy we hopefully can develop as QBOTF. The two drafts before this bear similar results as far as guys we are counting on to contribute. There’s still an awful lot of unknown and projection but the skins are a draft pipeline right now, something I never thought I’d see with Snyder. I’ll always remember the years with 3 picks and using them to draft nobodies like Dallas Sartz. And its a league that you NEED to draft extremely well just from a cap management standpoint, now more than ever. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Imagine if every one of our young players, or even most of them, actually live up to their hype and potential.

That would make us a great football team. Contenders for sure.

I agree they've been drafting well.  I love the combination of Kyle and Jay on that front.  Both clearly have an eye for college talent.  I do not think much of their pro personnel department -- that's why I'd love to see Kyle running the whole thing.    I still think they are unlikely going to build a contender though as long as they have average to below average Qb play.  It's a QB league.  So QB and pro personnel IMO brings down the team some.  But if they get Haskins right -- that IMO will change everything.  

For Dan to finally get the Qb position right -- not only will make this team a contender finally but also it would get a major monkey off his back considering all the misjudgments over the years starting with dumping Johnson for J. George.  

But yeah part of the reason why I am not as down on Jay as some as I've heard a number of beat guys, Cooley, anonymous personnel guy talking to ESPN, and more -- that Jay is Robin to Kyle's Batman.  That the both of them are the top 2 personnel guys in that FO.  Chris Russell said he heard that Jay and Kyle have each other's back when there are disagreements behind the scenes because they have a likeminded football view.   Jay is far from perfect but I think he brings more to the table than some give him credit for IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The Sports Junkies are raving about this guy, I don't watch training camp because it doesn't matter. I watch preseason because I miss football, it also doesn't matter. Lets see what he can do on gameday.

Preseason matters a tiny bit.  I view it as such.  It doesn't show if someone CAN play well, but I think it does show if they CAN'T.  If a young WR struggles to make moves in preseason, and can't separate well?  Then they aren't ready yet.

36 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Preseason matters a tiny bit.  I view it as such.  It doesn't show if someone CAN play well, but I think it does show if they CAN'T.  If a young WR struggles to make moves in preseason, and can't separate well?  Then they aren't ready yet.

Well, I'm already chain smoking, sweating and drunk...so I guess it matters. However, I don't want to stop listening to music.

@Skinsinparadise That's awesome to hear. All we've seen is extremely positive praise for TMac (I'm running with it @Vanguard) but I really need to see him do it during the game before I'm a believer. Every year there's some WR who's absolutely lighting it up during camp only to do nothing during the season.

We need to get over the fact that we used a 1st rounder on Docston and we need to play the guy who deserves the spot. If it is Docston, then play him, but if guys look better than we need to give them a chance to shine and grow. We've given Josh so many chances... Assuming Josh doesn't winning the starting job, I'm really curious to see how he fares in free agency. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:07 AM, RandyHolt said:

Unfortunately, I have found its best for my "expectation generator" to pump the brakes on any WR we draft.

That is where I am, and another reason in which I try to avoid all the fluff pieces from training camp and preseason.  (It helps when my A's are relevant to the playoff race well into August).  When it comes to WRs and this franchise, I just don't get why they can't seem to ever land one in which their physical attributes translate to performance in the regular season.   Not only have they failed at trying to draft in the higher rounds, but this also seems to be the only franchise that never develops the lower round unknowns who burst onto the scene out of nowhere and emerge as weapons.   Crowder is probably the best example of them doing so, because from memory he was initially drafted to be a return guy but impressed enough to earn the slot WR job, but then again he seemed to plateau relatively quick. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CTskin said:

@Skinsinparadise That's awesome to hear. All we've seen is extremely positive praise for TMac (I'm running with it @Vanguard) but I really need to see him do it during the game before I'm a believer. Every year there's some WR who's absolutely lighting it up during camp only to do nothing during the season.

We need to get over the fact that we used a 1st rounder on Docston and we need to play the guy who deserves the spot. If it is Docston, then play him, but if guys look better than we need to give them a chance to shine and grow. We've given Josh so many chances... Assuming Josh doesn't winning the starting job, I'm really curious to see how he fares in free agency. 

Sure, I get the let's see it in the season drill.   I have more faith though in McLaurin than the standard WR camp hype that comes out of the blue typically about some undrafred guy or 7th round type.  Reasons being:

1.  McLaurin was drafted relatively high.  This isn't like Marko Mitchell or someone that hardly anyone ever heard off before the draft.  McLaurin was a bonafide prospect.  I among others touted the dude before the draft.  Kiper in one of his mocks even had him as a late first rounder.  So he isn't some obscure out of left field guy.

2.  Pre-draft he was a guy whose intangibles were touted to death.  I posted stuff said by a scout about him and they were gushing about his intangibles.  Works hard, smart, locker room leader, etc.  

3.  The rap on him from camp isn't just that he's showcasing mega raw ability (lets say like Cam Sims) but that he's a crisp route runner.  According to personnel types including Scot McCloughan the hardest aspect of projecting a college receiver to adjusting to the NFL is their ability to pick up NFL route running.

4.  On the other receivers in the past its been the fans who have had these man crushes primarily -- I don't recall the coaches gushing to the same level unless I misrember.  For example if Hoffman is correct and the coaches are privately gushing about McLaurin that's not apples to apples from what I recall to the others.  The only difference from what I recall being Taylor Jacobs.  I recall hearing how Jacobs was killing it in practice.

So for me I think we might this time genuinely have a good one in McLaurin.  I've liked him before the draft and still do.  I didn't like him then or now to the degree that he's a superstar in the making but feel that he can be a genuine #2 type.  I guess we will find out. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2