Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

Welcome to the Redskins young man. Have some fun and play well.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terry-mclaurin?id=32194d43-4c27-8328-8097-b130ba0e8060

2562489.png&f=png&w=308&c=71

TERRY MCLAURIN

OHIO STATE

Senior

HEIGHT 6' 0"

WEIGHT 208 lbs

ARMS 31 1/2”

HANDS

9 1/8”

Prospect Grade

CHANCE TO BECOME NFL STARTER

Combine Results

u-unofficial

40 Yard Dash

4.35u SECONDS

Bench Press

REPS

Vertical Jump

INCHES

Broad Jump

INCHES

3 Cone Drill

SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle

Overview

Wide receiver with good size, average tape, a strong showing at the Senior Bowl and a special teams pedigree. McLaurin is faster than quick, but he's a detailed route runner who leans on physicality at the top of his route to beat handsy cornerbacks across their face. He will need to improve his ball skills and body positioning if he wants to win contested catches on the NFL level. He has the talent to be an NFL backup and his talent as a gunner could help him see the field quickly on special teams.

Strengths

Adequate size and speed combination outside

Quick lateral step and hand slap to beat press

Routes offer some detail and signs of polish

Good feel for leveraging cornerbacks out of position

Crisp angles out of stems and breaks

Physical at the top of his routes

Finds open spaces in scramble situations

Talented gunner with build-up speed and ball-tracking

Ate up one-on-one matchups throughout the week at Senior Bowl

*Click Link For More*

• Thanks 1

The Redskins needed more speed and leadership at receiver. They got that in third-round pick Terry McLaurin from Ohio State. There are questions about some aspects of his game -- it's why he lasted to the third -- but he's a player coaches will love. He's detailed with his routes, can play inside or outside, plays special teams and is a willing blocker, too. Plus the receiver room needs someone who can be a leader. That would be asking a lot of a rookie, but he can eventually grow into that role. They would be wise to add a veteran who can help here, too. Otherwise the room will be lacking. It should help, too, that McLaurin played at Ohio State with new quarterback Dwayne Haskins. But the Redskins drafted McLaurin because he can play; that rapport with Haskins is a side benefit.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer53m ago

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a great video of Terry taking the call.  Hoffman said in all his time doing post draft interviews Terry was the best interview he's had.  He says he really has it together -- well spoken, thoughtful the whole nine yards. 

He's a 2 time captain, leader, some say will be the best special teams player in the league -- he's an elite level college special teams player.   He has elite athleticism. 

People giving him a hard time for having "just" 700 yards for a team that didn't throw deep much -- (with 20 YPR and 11 Tds) and trying to make the case that the dude is a JAG is crazy IMO.    But I've taken some arrows here and there for liking McLaurin well before we drafted him.    So I am pretty well versed to take on his critics.   So I'll likely get to exercise those muscles I presume some more going forward.  😀

Among other things, the dude was taken in the mid-third round.    He was not projected as a late rounder as some say.  At worst, they got him pretty much where most anticipated.  Not that it matters.  If I recall the hit rate on third rounders give or take is 25%.   It's not the round where you get these mega productive killer receivers.  Instead, you get guys typically with potential that you bet on.  McLaurin to me is a good bet IMO.   I'd add that especially in the later rounds you want high character overachiever types who I think are more likely to work to keep getting better. 

I'd add that the dude can block, too.  Rare for a speedy receiver.  You can play him outside and inside.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

Grades/Analysis:

Sports Illustrated

76. Washington Redskins: WR Terry McLaurin

It’s not often that a rookie QB enters the NFL with a familiar target, but that’s what McLaurin gives Dwayne Haskins after both played together at Ohio State. Washington does as good as job as almost any team at creating opportunities for receivers through design.

GRADE: B

USA Today

76. Redskins: Terry McLaurin, WR Ohio State

Analysis: Terry McLaurin is a professional route-runner who flashed during Senior Bowl practices. He’s got long speed, but he’s not great in contested catch scenarios. The Redskins likely see him as a replacement for Jamison Crowder.

Grade: B+

Sporting News

76. Washington Redskins: Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

McLaurin (6-0, 208) shot up in the pre-draft process by showing off his speed and strong route-running. He remains a good physical target for his college quarterback, Dwayne Haskins.

Walter Football

Washington Redskins: Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State A- Grade
The Redskins were absolutely desperate for receiving help, so this pick makes a ton of sense from a needs perspective, and also as far as the range is concerned; Terry McLaurin was expected to be a third-round pick. McLaurin, who had a great Senior Bowl performance, has great character traits and will be able to be a big-time contributor on special teams at the very least.

Pro Football weekly

76. Washington - Terry McLaurin

Why not get Dwayne Haskins a reciever that is used to working with the new Washington QB? Durable with size, speed and toughness, McLaurin should compete for a job right away on a team that needs reliable pass catchers.

• Like 1