Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.


Recommended Posts

hopefully he is healthy, i know they texans doctor said he may have been misdiagnosed but the texans didn’t draft him.... i don’t know if an NFL team would play games with someone’s heart, but idk....  Also, seems like a lot of teams took edge rushers in this round, so this pick is mostly about parity than giving us an advantage.  Good news is it didn’t cost too much. (basically a second rounder next year)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just getting up to speed on Sweat and his highlights. IMO you can't always put a great deal of stock in college highlights, playing against college competition. I try and focus on the player, moves, body control, using his hands, getting off blocks, etc. This kid is slippery, he's got some longass arms and uses them well, nice change of direction and inflection against linemen, seems to pay good attention to where the ball is and where the play is going. Seems really long n lean to me, I'm hoping they don't try to bulk him up for some potential gain, train and play this kid to his strengths.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy has pretty exciting measurables AND pretty exiting production and looks good on film.

 

The downside for us is because he hasn't been a standup edge player which he'll have to be with us (though we'll chat on that in a minute) he will be lost in space in any coverage situation and after YEARS of seeing Kerrigan and Smith picked apart on the edge, this is NOT ideal.   Assuming the obvious that they intend to use him as a standup, this will be something to watch for, but he'll certainly be no worse than Smith in this area just given he can run a bit, and even if he dies on the field due to the heart condition, he'll roughly match Smith's impact on the play he dies on.

Now, here's a shot in the dark.

 

Actually play the defensive end AT defensive end.   He is UNDERSIZED for a 3/4 hand-on-the-ground every down end.   But the league passes a lot.   Anderson is behind him in this scenario.   You have Payne inside with Allen on the other side, so you can shade to help him in run situations you worry about him getting pushed back.   Anderson is slightly ok in coverage -- or at least an upgrade to Smith or Sweat in such an area (at least next year while Sweat learns it).    But I'd love to see him play his natural position.   And, of course, for us to immediately go to a 4-3. :).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

i know they texans doctor said he may have been misdiagnosed but the texans didn’t draft him.... 

 

I thought the same thing. Then realized they have Clowney, Watt and a QB that was sacked about 1,000 times last year. They needed OL too much to go any other direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

......how the **** did you get that? No. No i am not. Read the post again. You’ll figure it out 

Your brother-in-law switched from being a Redskins fan to a Titans fan.. you asked how do you put him in his place and make it look stupid... There's that for starts

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Your brother-in-law switched from being a Redskins fan to a Titans fan.. you asked how do you put him in his place and make it look stupid... There's that for starts

Good lord. Not brother in law. BROTHER. The rest of that is correct, but where did you get that I became a titans fan last night? 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Good lord. Not brother in law. BROTHER. The rest of that is correct, but where did you get that I became a titans fan last night? 😂😂😂

I didn't..you miss read it... I was saying you should say to him you're a Titans fan and I'm still a Skins fan

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

I didn't..you miss read it...

I'm saying you should say you're a Titans fan now

Edited by bakedtater1
Add content
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Art said:

The downside for us is because he hasn't been a standup edge player which he'll have to be with us (though we'll chat on that in a minute) he will be lost in space in any coverage situation and after YEARS of seeing Kerrigan and Smith picked apart on the edge, this is NOT ideal.

A lot of Sweat’s 2017 play is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB. Lots of TE coverage, trailing RBs to the flat and rushing the QB on 3rd downs. Showed great flex and speed and had a great inside move similar to Kerrigan’s first few years. Then in 2018 he clearly bulked up and was playing a more traditional DE role and never lost his speed due to increased weight. But what he did add to his pass rush was more power. I absolutely love this pick. I think Saquan Barkley becomes a non factor with Kerrigan and Sweat on the edge and Collins at box safety. 

 

 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

A lot of Sweat’s 2017 play is more of a traditional 3-4 OLB. Lots of TE coverage, trailing RBs to the flat and rushing the QB on 3rd downs. Showed great flex and speed and had a great inside move similar to Kerrigan’s first few years. Then in 2018 he clearly bulked up and was playing a more traditional DE role and never lost his speed due to increased weight. But what he did add to his pass rush was more power. I absolutely love this pick. I think Saquan Barkley becomes a non factor with Kerrigan and Sweat on the edge and Collins at box safety. 

 

I've seen him in coverage some, but mostly hand down.   And his biggest and best plays are when the hand is down.   I tend to dislike taking guys who seem better at DE and making them be OLB.   But this guy is athletic enough to maybe make it happen as I expect that's his future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Can I just say, thank you Dan Snyder for taking over the 1st round lol...

Snyder needs to take over the rest of this draft, mini camp, summer camp and the entire season. The guy has a knack for this NFL thing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait what's going on here?!?!..folks praising Dan Snyder?....this doesn't seem right..what it looks like is Snyder got involved everyone put there heads together and came up with what they came up with and it was a success (so far)... HTTR baby!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

tacitly declared that they missed on 2017 second-round pick Ryan Anderson, who has been mostly nondescript in his first two seasons

I recall Nick Saban in 2017 predicting the Redskins would move Anderson inside as Saban said that is where Anderson would best fit. Maybe we should take his advice albeit two years later. A 6’ 2” 253lb 4.7 sec 40 middle linebacker sounds pretty good to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

I think Saquan Barkley becomes a non factor with Kerrigan and Sweat on the edge and Collins at box safety. 

 

Ummm, what? Really, what? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

Saquon will become a non-factor when he loses his other-worldly athleticism. He is a freak that is destined for the HoF if he stays healthy. Generational talent. I love that we got Sweat too, but be realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skins Skeptic said:

 

Ummm, what? Really, what? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

Saquon will become a non-factor when he loses his other-worldly athleticism. He is a freak that is destined for the HoF if he stays healthy. Generational talent. I love that we got Sweat too, but be realistic.

If we shut down Barkley its gonna be because of Allen and Payne, not Kerrigan who is not really a run stopper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...