Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

PCS

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

I like Josh and think he has the ability to play outside as a lb in our 3-4. He definitely showed some pass rushing abilities last year.  I think if he can show something then he and Sweat can rotate along with Ryan. I still like Mason and Ryan Anderson to be our mlbs and have Shaun and Rueben as our backups with one of them alternating outside. 

If you ask me that’s a pretty formidable linebacker crew!

I view the ILB'ers as a true competition in training camp.  I don't think there's anyone getting anointed the starter at this point.  The ILB'er play last year was a major issue.  Brown just didn't play consistently and Foster was way too slow.  I'd imagine that when they cut Brown, they told Mason that he has to play faster to remain, so he lost 15 lbs in the off-season.  Then the addition of Re.Foster brings the group into full competition.  I have my own opinion on what I've seen Re.Foster do and not do on the limited NFL tape.  He could benefit from learning a few things about ILB'er from London Fletcher.

20 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Not really, if Mason Foster and Ryan Anderson are starting at ILB, that means Reuben Foster and SDH must be terrible players. 

This duo has a history of playing well behind the likes of Allen and Payne.  It's clear that the idea was to get this middle lineup on the field at the same time.  Doesn't mean that it has to happen this year, because they all might not be at the best players on the roster at their positions, at the same time right now... However, we could expect to at least see them in packages and progressing towards that grouping at a minimum. 

With all the question marks going into 2019 it appears like the Skins are working towards being a 2020 contender.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

What character issues?  I remember hearing something about that during the draft coverage but no one's been concrete on it.  I saw some mentions of weed, maybe, but in 2019 that's not a big deal.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26655155/nfl-execs-unfiltered-every-team-2019-draft-class

"Sweat could be the best pass-rusher in the draft, but there are serious medical and character concerns that took him off some boards entirely," an evaluator said. "He is a potential Randy Gregory. Washington's entire defense, or most of it, will be interesting that way based on some of the guys they've got."

What serious character concerns?  I've watched videos on him, some interviews.  Seems like an incredibly hard working, thoughtful guy.  Potential Randy Gregory?  Not seeing it.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What character issues?  I remember hearing something about that during the draft coverage but no one's been concrete on it.  I saw some mentions of weed, maybe, but in 2019 that's not a big deal.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26655155/nfl-execs-unfiltered-every-team-2019-draft-class

What serious character concerns?  I've watched videos on him, some interviews.  Seems like an incredibly hard working, thoughtful guy.  Potential Randy Gregory?  Not seeing it.

The character issues came into play when he went to Michigan State and got kicked off the team for smoking weed and stealing a bike.  When he got to Mississippi State.  Had a good coach straighten him out and made a couple good friends on the D-lines that focused on getting drafted.  He's fine and the character issues were awhile ago.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832503-whats-the-story-with-montez-sweat

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 4

Love the pick.  Hopefully character wise and health wise it all checks out -- most seem to think it will.

I see PFF isn't a big fan of him and said he will remind us of Preston Smith -- solid-good but nothing special.    I think they will be wrong.  Will see. 

He's explosive.  Maybe not with the bend-agility of a dude like Brian Burns but IMO its easy to see the burst-speed.  He plays with a high motor, has multiple pass rushing moves, a menace to QBs.  

I always thought Preston is somewhat overrated against the run.  Generally I liked Preston so am not down on him.  Sweat to me reminds me very little of Preston.  Forgetting the speed and pass rushing ability -- the dude is a monster against the run.  He has the longest wingspan of any eligible edge rusher in this draft.    I show some of his run stopping in the mix of pass rushing here.  But that dude to me will be a tremendous help among other things to stop the run.   With Allen and Sweat likely manning the right side -- I'd pick my poison by running outside zone on the left in Kerrigan's direction.  The thing is Landon will likely play a lot on the left side since its typically the strong side to help stop the run.

My point is for all of Sweat's pass rushing potential -- I think we also added one of the best run stopping edge guys in the league.   Wonder where @volsmetis?  He was a big Sweat guy. 😀  My only concern about Sweat is dropping back into coverage.  The games I watched I didn't see much of that so I assume that will be an adjustment.

With some players you got to look hard to find highlight plays.  But for Sweat its easy whether its pass rushing or stopping the run.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

On 4/26/2019 at 3:30 AM, Burgold said:

Question for the draft gurus out there--

If Sweat hadn't been misdiagnosed with a heart condition where would he likely have been taken? Was he top ten? Top five? Top twenty?

Generally I saw him associated w/that second tiering of guys locked in to go around 1.04 to about 1.12, most likely in the 6-10 area. 

• Like 3

Been watching his tapes and doing that with a grain o'salt, it is hard to assess collegiate play against collegiate talent and translating that to the pros, but he does seem to have a consistent ability to use those long arms to keep the linemen off him, and break off to make a play. It would be nice to see a guy come off the edge and not just automatically get ridden beyond the pocket and out of the play.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, -JB- said:

As soon as I saw the Skins traded up to the 26th pick I said “It has to be for Montez Sweat.”  Glad I was right!

Like many I didn't even realize it happened. At 715 the bed time ritual for my two year old begins, so I'm occupied with bath, dressing for it and reading time, then I get time for a shower, then I'm able to relax, and when I came down, I noticed while rewinding that the redskins were inexplicably on the clock, I managed to rewind w/o seeing what happened (looking away) and then spent a bunch of minutes dodging calls from my excited brother, and praying it wasn't for super-reach Hollywood Brown. I was SO SO SO relieved when I saw Brown several slots before our pick, and then I watched hoping it wasn't stupid and then grew increasingly excited as I saw Montez continue to fall. Fantastic. I hope we find a way to recoup that second (probably not) as I expect it to be top 40 in a fantastic class, but there's no arguing that Sweat was/is more valuable than the 45th or so pick and a pick next year likely to be top 40-45. Sweat was a top 5-12 pick this year w/o the Heart rumors and a top 3-4 edge in a class loaded with front seven talent (and the most athletic of the edge rushers to boot). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 5

On 5/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, skinsfan93 said:

I like Josh and think he has the ability to play outside as a lb in our 3-4. He definitely showed some pass rushing abilities last year.  I think if he can show something then he and Sweat can rotate along with Ryan. I still like Mason and Ryan Anderson to be our mlbs and have Shaun and Rueben as our backups with one of them alternating outside. 

You are suggesting Reuben Foster will be a backup to Ryan Anderson and Mason Foster?  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, skinsfan93 said:

No no no no no. We should not have the two slowest players on the team starting at ILB.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:13 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

You are suggesting Reuben Foster will be a backup to Ryan Anderson and Mason Foster?  

I hope Ryan Anderson has made huge strides, and Mason, I don’t care how much weight he’s lost, is still too slow.  Mason’s a good guy but I want to win.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ryan Anderson looked more the part of an nfl ilb than an edge in college. 

I agree about Ryan maybe being better suited for ILB but until Sweat actually plays a down I think Anderson is starting OLB taking over for Preston.  Sweat should overtake him fast but I do think that Ryan is a competitor and will make his presence felt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I agree about Ryan maybe being better suited for ILB but until Sweat actually plays a down I think Anderson is starting OLB taking over for Preston.  Sweat should overtake him fast but I do think that Ryan is a competitor and will make his presence felt. 

That's jus going by the book, everyone knows Sweat I'd better the Ryan right now. 

I got blasted for wanting to move Ryan inside his rookie year because an olb is an olb is an olb and hes only played olb.  If we want him on the field it's most likely at ilb,  ANYONE faster then Mason foster.

• Like 2

Will lose my mind if Mason is out in space consistently next season. I believe he possesses value situationally, but it must be limited. 

Knew the odds were slim, but off the wall excited about the prospects of Reuben and Zach flying around in the middle next season. 

Edited by wit33

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's jus going by the book, everyone knows Sweat I'd better the Ryan right now. 

I got blasted for wanting to move Ryan inside his rookie year because an olb is an olb is an olb and hes only played olb.  If we want him on the field it's most likely at ilb,  ANYONE faster then Mason foster.

Anderson’s coverage numbers, per pff, were phenomenal. Watching him v Adams (U of Washington), he was obliterated, but he had brilliant instincts & movement in space.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-players-wed-like-to-see-more-of-in-2019

03143C88-D780-427E-AFFF-706CB5D8EB7D.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

Anderson’s coverage numbers, per pff, were phenomenal. Watching him v Adams (U of Washington), he was obliterated, but he had brilliant instincts & movement in space.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-players-wed-like-to-see-more-of-in-2019

03143C88-D780-427E-AFFF-706CB5D8EB7D.jpeg

This is pretty surprising. We all saw him play, when he actually did play, and few of us recall anything of note.  But I loved this pick at the time and I'm still holding out hope but I am having my doubts.  

• Like 1

If you listened to Cooley's breakdowns last year he rated Anderson in the high 70's to mid 80's almost every week, he was begging the Skins to give him more reps which they did as the season went on. 

I stopped listening to his podcasts after the Texans game so not sure how Cooley graded him the rest of the year.

So that PFF grade is not that surprising.

Anderson’s grade is entirely based on coverage & holding up v the run, things that don’t typically stand out for Edge guys, but provide enough context to let us know he has traits that will allow him to positively impact the game for us. 

Staying outside he could eventually become a player like our old friend from Fairfax, they have some similarities.

I like Anderson against the run but LOVE Sweat against the run.  Sweat against the run is an animal.   Anderson is an effort guy in large part -- he doesn't have long arms or good speed for that position but plays with an attitude, strong hands and is smart.   Sweat on the other hand has freakish speed and freakish arm length -- the one thing that most obviously stands out in my view above all when watching him is his play against the run.  If a RB gets past Anderson he's unlikely going to chase you down.  Sweat can chase you down.  I think good shot he quickly becomes the best run stopper in the league at edge.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is pretty surprising. We all saw him play, when he actually did play, and few of us recall anything of note.  But I loved this pick at the time and I'm still holding out hope but I am having my doubts.  

The issue was pass rushing.  Seems to be a good OLB but his limitations at pass rush pushes him down the roster.  Could be an excellent rotational player based in game situation. Frankly I don't see him as a bust just because we drafted a potentially elite player that will replace him and I'd sign him to an extension next year if he performs to the same level as he has.

Edited by nonniey

15 minutes ago, nonniey said:

The issue was pass rushing.  Seems to be a good OLB but his limitations at pass rush pushes him down the roster.  Could be an excellent rotational player based in game situation. Frankly I don't see him as a bust just because we drafted a potentially elite player that will replace him and I'd sign him to an extension next year if he performs to the same level as he has.

He’s not a busy because very few people had expectations for him. He doesn’t have the length or speed or explosion to impact the game as a pass rusher. He was an enormous reach in Rd 2, just like Trent Murphy. Almost the entire board recognized him as a reach at the time. It’s not hindsight. And, we were right. 

Sweat is going to start as long as he looks ok in camp and the preseason. 

• Like 2