PCS

Welcome to the Redskins Montez Sweat Mississippi St.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thanks, love reading that as well.  I wonder who the 6th is in "Tomsula Six" though.  You have JA, DP, MI, TS, and CB.  Who's the 6th?


I believe Jojo Wicker is the 6th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thanks, love reading that as well.  I wonder who the 6th is in "Tomsula Six" though.  You have JA, DP, MI, TS, and CB.  Who's the 6th?

 

EDIT: Just looked at the depth chart.  Only two others listed are JoJo Wicker and Ryan Bee.  I imagine they're referring to Wicker, since he is higher on the depth chart.  He was a UDFA we signed last year.  

 

I would think Ryan Kerrigan. He essentially plays LDE in a 4-2-5 seventy percent of the time. He has an incredible work ethic and always shows up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

 

I would think Ryan Kerrigan. He essentially plays LDE in a 4-2-5 seventy percent of the time. He has an incredible work ethic and always shows up. 

 

But I don't think he works with Tomsula at all... at least from what I've heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a potentially huge bright spot for our defense.  Collins too.  I am feeling really good about the direction of our defense.   Wish I felt the same about our offense.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

I saw that on my feed yesterday....  that will have to suffice for now, as we sweat it out until camp opens 

 

Jay's had a rough time of it. Our DL was neglected on draft days for a decade if not more.  Shanahan of course gutted our ok mediocre 4-3 and we never could get those front 7 3-4 spots filled since.  Finally - we are filling the holes on the DL, and now addressing LB, but then of course our offense is poised to be lame.

 

I want to see Jay try to win games on defense if our offense is meh; aggressively attack QBs led by Sweat of course. I suspect he will do as he did last year, and slow down the games to keep the scores from getting out of hand, with bend don't break. Final score, Skins lose 20-17, but sweat with 2 sacks.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My training camp optimism tour brings me to this thread. We had two first round picks this year which seemingly has taken a little attention off both in terms of media coverage so far.  I just think back to last year and our collective inability to get off the field on 3rd down.

 

This seemed by the naked eye due to the lack of outside pressure. We now have speed off the edge thanks to the arrival of Sweat. This speed off the edge combined with the interior pressure we can provide sounds like a recipe for success.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Training camp optimism tour :806:

 

I want more blitzing. It is at the core of an aggressive DC, vs a passive one. Passive D just sucks the energy out of the crowd. The offense is caught sitting on the sideline for much of the day.  Look at teams with the most dominant OLBs. Do their DCs rush 4? Hell no, they bring the house.

 

Sure we can play it safe early and let the front 4 test the waters and see if any matchups can be being exploited. Or, my preference is go aggressive early vs a QB and try to get him to be the deer in the headlights, before he gains any confidence. Get the OLs head spinning on line calls.  Yep, who doesn't love a helmet on the chin of an opposition QB in the first quarter.  Go aggressive early and make the OC adjust. When the OC goes max protect, go shell.

 

It doesn't get much discussion but I would swear the first series of a game are largely a feeling out process. Defenses start conservative, as we often see both teams get points on their first drive.  I want to see our defense try to pitch a shutout. Is it really that dangerous of a goal to set? Our offense may suck on any given week and I want our defense to try to attack QBs this year. 

 

We have advanced stats, FINALLY.  What is the success rate of a defense rushing 6, 7, or 8? Sure factor in down in and distance strength of opponents whatever I dont care, give me ANY data.

 

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Training camp optimism tour :806:

 

I want more blitzing. It is at the core of an aggressive DC, vs a passive one. Passive D just sucks the energy out of the crowd. The offense is caught sitting on the sideline for much of the day.  Look at teams with the most dominant OLBs. Do their DCs rush 4? Hell no, they bring the house.

 

Sure we can play it safe early and let the front 4 test the waters and see if any matchups can be being exploited. Or, my preference is go aggressive early vs a QB and try to get him to be the deer in the headlights, before he gains any confidence. Get the OLs head spinning on line calls.  Yep, who doesn't love a helmet on the chin of an opposition QB in the first quarter.  Go aggressive early and make the OC adjust. When the OC goes max protect, go shell.

 

It doesn't get much discussion but I would swear the first series of a game are largely a feeling out process. Defenses start conservative, as we often see both teams get points on their first drive.  I want to see our defense try to pitch a shutout. Is it really that dangerous of a goal to set? Our offense may suck on any given week and I want our defense to try to attack QBs this year. 

 

We have advanced stats, FINALLY.  What is the success rate of a defense rushing 6, 7, or 8? Sure factor in down in and distance strength of opponents whatever I dont care, give me ANY data.

 

 

I agree with you in spirit; I love seeing an aggressive defense. That being said, unless you have a dominant secondary with at least one or two lockdown corners and/or safeties, having a super aggressive blitzing defense carries the risk of giving up some really big plays. That's especially true if you're playing against a really savvy OC who knows how to exploit those holes (or a QB who does). You need a balance and know how to pick and choose your moments to go aggressive. If you can consistently get pressure with your front 4 or 5 then that removes the need to do a ton of blitzing. I think if our guys can stay healthy and Sweat can live up to his potential we could have a truly dominant front for years to come.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It doesn't get much discussion but I would swear the first series of a game are largely a feeling out process. Defenses start conservative, as we often see both teams get points on their first drive.  I want to see our defense try to pitch a shutout. Is it really that dangerous of a goal to set? Our offense may suck on any given week and I want our defense to try to attack QBs this year. 

 

Points don't happen as much as we think on the 1st drives.  1st drive of the game scores (TD or FG) around 36% of the time.  All of the other drives (minus kneeldowns or clock running out) result in scores around 40% of the time.  One big difference is that offenses are usually conservative on the 1st drive.  The first drives ends in a punt on average 50% of the time, whereas all other drives will be ended with a punt only 40% of the time.  Teams take more risks as the game goes on.

 

 

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We have advanced stats, FINALLY.  What is the success rate of a defense rushing 6, 7, or 8? Sure factor in down in and distance strength of opponents whatever I dont care, give me ANY data.

 

These two links you should check out:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/pressure-number-pass-rushers-2018

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/defense-and-pass-pressure-2018

 

Surprising stats from this for our team are:

-4 man rushes, not the best at pressure, but surprisingly good pass defense regardless.

-5 or more man rushes, pressured the QB frequently, but pass defense had holes elsewhere and would fall apart.

-3 or fewer man rushes, pressured the QB at an above average rate, but defenses would still fall apart.

 

My takeaway, our 3 man rushes are likely Payne/Allen/Ioannidis.  The pressure rate being above average makes sense.  I'm assuming we're having communication issues with 8 guys in coverage, how else does the defense fall apart despite a good pressure rate.

 

Our personal last season seemed to work best with the standard Front 4.  Sending an extra man caused coverage issues/lapses/etc that defenses happily exploited.  My guess, all the criticism of Zach Brown being in the wrong place was correct.  The obvious issues with bulked up 250lb Mason Foster in coverage was an issue.  Poor tackling angles from the safeties probably gave up extra yards.

 

The good news is that the linebackers and safeties are different.  We'll have to wait and see if the holes in our pass defense from sending 5 or more rushers will appear again.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

I agree with you in spirit; I love seeing an aggressive defense. That being said, unless you have a dominant secondary with at least one or two lockdown corners and/or safeties, having a super aggressive blitzing defense carries the risk of giving up some really big plays. That's especially true if you're playing against a really savvy OC who knows how to exploit those holes (or a QB who does). You need a balance and know how to pick and choose your moments to go aggressive. If you can consistently get pressure with your front 4 or 5 then that removes the need to do a ton of blitzing. I think if our guys can stay healthy and Sweat can live up to his potential we could have a truly dominant front for years to come.

 

If anybody has the Front to apply the pressure, it's us.

It's worth trying as a main course of scheme, in order to take that pressure off of our secondary, rather than risk too much blitzing.

Because there's still questions about our secondary. Other than Norman, every other starter and backup in our secondary is either new to the team, or young & inexperienced, or has injury history.

A well-schemed blitz once in a while is great, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pressure by number of 4 pass rushers reflects we have spent top picks on DL finally, yay.

 

I prefer to see incompletions, sacks and forced fumbles, to be the focus of any analysis of should we blitz or not.

 

For I think, good QBs pretty consistently will beat standard pressure.   Who doesn't?

 

tenor.gif?itemid=11618825

 

Here is an angle I don't see discussed much. In our glorious bend don't break era, we DON'T attack the deer in the headlights QB.  Extreme Skin fans know we had a HORRID run vs rookie QBs... yes it's because we took a passive approach when we should have shown them no respect, and attacked them at the first snap.  BDB treats every QB the same, like a Tom ****ing Brady, and that is a mistake. Rookie QBs love when we don't blitz, trust me on this.  Remember beating a rookie QB after like 10 straight losses to those punk ass greenhorns? We attacked Foles early in that game to end one of the most embarrassing streaks possible for a Defense.

 

I used to love Fox's under pressure: Hit, knocked down, batted ball, sacked, fumbled, pressured, missed plays, hit to chin, INTs...

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

 

Points don't happen as much as we think on the 1st drives.  1st drive of the game scores (TD or FG) around 36% of the time.  All of the other drives (minus kneeldowns or clock running out) result in scores around 40% of the time.  One big difference is that offenses are usually conservative on the 1st drive.  The first drives ends in a punt on average 50% of the time, whereas all other drives will be ended with a punt only 40% of the time.  Teams take more risks as the game goes on.

I’d imagine that starting field position is probably the main reason for those stats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been posted but i found it pretty interesting. The 1:46 mark is where hey show Sweat. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't watch much of Sweat in college but did we expect him to be a project? He seems really raw.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am on the same boat... he seemed to have very little impact in preseason. Hasn't shown much... Anyone else concerned with him going against starters in less than a week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I’m not mistaken, Anderson is the starter and I’m fine with that.  Let Sweat get his feet wet by coming in on passing downs to rush the passer.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not entirely sure what people expect from the pre season.

He looked fine to me, seemed to set the edge pretty well and got at least one pressure that I recall. 

I don't think he was asked to or trying to rack up multiple sacks.

He was probably asked to do certain things that the coaches wanted to evaluate him on, I wouldn't worry I think he'll be just fine as long as you dont expect him to get multiple sacks every game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminder, we want an Edge rotation regardless of if Sweat hits the ground running.  We want Ryan Anderson to get snaps.

 

Fresh Edge guys in the 4th quarter is how you win games.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oraphus said:

i am on the same boat... he seemed to have very little impact in preseason. Hasn't shown much... Anyone else concerned with him going against starters in less than a week?

 

He dealt with calf injury that kept him off the field early in training camp.

 

I think he missed the first preseason game because of it, but played in the last two? Three?

 

I think he did well. He wasn't Lawrence Taylor in his prime, but he didn't look lost or in over his head.

 

I think he will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.