PCS

Welcome to the Redskins Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Posted (edited)

From the jump I have thought Haskins had piss poor body language - was clearly not truly excited about coming here based on the non scripted footage from draft night.  Obviously the Kevin O video is highly edited but I think the most interesting moment happens around 2:30, its the only time in the video he goes to try to actually make a correction and Haskins turns away from him, does not look him in the eye and is essentially acting dismissive.  I think overall this is a kid who is acting extremely entitled for doing absolutely nothing in the NFL, will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Edited by ggarriso
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I find it "curious" that he would generate so much interest around the league, after a) such a short stint, and b) no real notable accomplishments. I'm just speculating here, because I'm curious and don't have much evidence, but could it possibly be that it has more to do with Jay generating a rep around the league, for grooming assistants ? Some might not like that hypothesis, but is there a better explanation for why someone like O'Connell would have, not just a good rep inside Redskins Park, but also externally throughout the league ?

It could be because in his short career he's made the rounds with different teams and its a networking driven business so he's likely more plugged in than the typical coach in their early 30s. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/teams_reportedly_wanted_redskins_kevin_oconnell/s1_14819_28325687

Kevin O’Connell is the Redskins’ new offensive coordinator, but things could have played out differently. Before Washington promoted him to the OC role, other teams inquired about trying to hire him for the same position, sources tell ESPN.com’s John Keim. Right now, it’s not clear which teams reached out to O’Connell, but it sounds like there was interest from multiple clubs.

O’Connell, 33, was bumped up on Tuesday, putting him in the role formerly occupied by Matt Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh, meanwhile, has been moved to a role as the team’s senior offensive assistant.

Prior to the big promotion, O’Connell was Washington’s quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator in 2018. He’s young, but, lately, NFL teams have been happy to eschew experienced candidates for more energetic personalities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/football/kevin-oconnell-third-string-quarterback-aids-jets-on-sideline.html

O’Connell has an uncanny knack for reading a game, recognizing defensive coverages and contributing insights like helping to explain how cornerbacks defended receivers.

“He’s a coach with a lot of football talent,” said the rookie quarterback Greg McElroy, who is on injured reserve. “That’s really what it is. He has a great mind for it, a great eye for it. He has a tremendous feel on game days. He can see the entire field from the sideline. He can see the game vertically, as if watching film, from the sidelines.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/torrey-smith-says-kevin-o’connell-is-the-next-sean-mcvay/ar-BBSWGNE

Yet for someone like Carolina Panthers wideout Torrey Smith, O'Connell looks familiar:

The next McVay https://t.co/9Z73ACKq1i

- Torrey Smith (@TorreySmithWR) January 29, 2019

Smith spent one season with O'Connell out in San Francisco, so he should have some idea of the potential there.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/report-chip-kelly-wants-redskins-coach-kevin-connell-for-ucla-job/qph3ljTvGFFuAfQ76KDnaK/

NFL insider Ian Rapoport reported on Sunday that UCLA head coach Chip Kelly wants to hire Washington Redskins QB coach Kevin O’Connell as his new offensive coordinator.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just about to post the O'Connell wired bit.  It was good stuff.  It makes me wonder what they'd do if some other team wants to interview him next year for a HC job.  Some say he's the next McVay. 

I’ve felt for quite awhile that he is the coach in waiting if his stretch at OC goes well, even more so if his stint tutoring Haskins is perceived as a success. 

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

This thread is full of amazing financial advice, rules for how much money you're allowed to spend on car after signing any contracts. I think ES needs to collaborate and send Dwayne a grocery list of what he is and isn't allowed to buy.

First off, cereal: Buying Lucky Charms is a big red flag, that's .0000002% of his contract, that's way too much. His financial advisor should put his foot down and limit it to Great Value brand only.

I'm pretty sure this was meant for me, if I'm wrong please forgive me.  At no time did I give advice but I understand that spinning it that way creates dialogue.

I would point you to this article, read up, you may learn something.

5 Reasons Why 80% Of Retired NFL Players Go Broke

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2015/02/09/5-reasons-why-80-of-retired-nfl-players-go-broke/#6263cc7b78cc

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm pretty sure this was meant for me, if I'm wrong please forgive me.  At no time did I give advice but I understand that spinning it that way creates dialogue.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2015/02/09/5-reasons-why-80-of-retired-nfl-players-go-broke/#6263cc7b78cc

Haskins doesn't come from nothing, his family has money. So unlike a lot of other players he is likely better able to handle it and have people around him that know how to. If after getting paid 8.5 million you can't go and buy some expensive stuff when can you? If you were given 8.5 million you wouldn't buy something nice?

• Like 4

Are we really being critical of Haskins for buying a car? Who gives a crap?  Like doing that is somehow indicative of him being a poor qb this year. I know rookie camp is over and we’re waiting on OTAs but c’mon we can talk about something else. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

O'Connell's Dad is an FBI Agent ?

Oh, he would make a great HC, then.

No-one in Redskins Park would be able to leak any info, without O'Connell knowing, or finding out about it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Haskins doesn't come from nothing, his family has money. So unlike a lot of other players he is likely better able to handle it and have people around him that know how to. If after getting paid 8.5 million you can't go and buy some expensive stuff when can you? If you were given 8.5 million you wouldn't buy something nice?

Last post because this is silly and probably the wrong thread for this.  I don't think him buying that car is a red flag on his character or whatever EB was trying to say.

The only reason I wrote my original post is that after days of reading the comments on ES I was shocked at how many people act as if $250,000 is nothing, not even taking in consideration he may never even get a 2nd contract (injury, poor play, etc).

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It could be because in his short career he's made the rounds with different teams.

Thank you so much for posting this sip... I don't know where to start lol.... So I'll start with a thank you that was an excellent read and something I was hoping to come across/had a feeling was going to happen..

When I read that O'Connell was named o coordinator a little part of me was hoping we were getting our "Sean McVay" back... I am not comparing him to Sean McVay just to make that clear... I don't do enough research or whatever you want to call it to see if they are comparable.. but I think you understand what I'm saying.. you know.. "the one we let get away"(Sean McVay)

I am very confident in what O'Connell can do and what he can do for Haskins...so if we sniff the playoffs one would have to think that there should be an extension for O'Connell to lock him up right?.. so we could have the same coaching staff next year..that would be absolutely amazing and positive to me, I know it wouldn't be enough for a lot of fans just to sniff the playoffs but if we even just sniff the playoffs and Haskins plays and is partially successful I would absolutely consider the season a success.

32 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Good point here..where Haskins comes from a wealthy family.... And I imagine if you're wealthy you obviously know how to manage your money....I'd say it's fine he's buying big money things..the players that go broke come into the NFL from non wealthy families who have never had money to spend and now that they have the money to spend from their big NFL contracts they don't know how to act properly with the money and go berserk with it..

Posted (edited)

Very slim chance a first round pick is ever going broke. 

The “older” fan base (I qualify as older) would’ve loved the kid if an Altima was purchased with him stating not wanting to waste money on cars. 

Haskins appears to roles to his own beat, be prepared to have “your” norms challenged, IMO. I can see the Cam Newton comparison made by a coach, as far as how he carries himself. 

Edited by wit33

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

From the jump I have thought Haskins had piss poor body language - was clearly not truly excited about coming here based on the non scripted footage from draft night.  Obviously the Kevin O video is highly edited but I think the most interesting moment happens around 2:30, its the only time in the video he goes to try to actually make a correction and Haskins turns away from him, does not look him in the eye and is essentially acting dismissive.  I think overall this is a kid who is acting hella entitled for doing absolutely nothing in the NFL, will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

You said "Hella".

I'm 100% sure you do not have the full picture or a complete read of this.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

From the article:

The median income in the NFL is roughly $750,000 and the average career span is less than four years. Most college graduates don't attain these levels of revenue in their first years out of college--why are the athletes struggling?

That's for players who don't receive $14 million contracts straight out of the draft. People living on the bubble and not even making teams at the start of the season, yeah, they have to pinch pennies. People that just got drafted in the first round, they're going to have to do some serious wasting to get there, more than buying a single car.

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Are we really being critical of Haskins for buying a car? Who gives a crap?  Like doing that is somehow indicative of him being a poor qb this year. I know rookie camp is over and we’re waiting on OTAs but c’mon we can talk about something else. 

yes... bad managers of money is different than bad managers of football...if it equated at all there'd by accountants in the HoF...i wonder what Dion Sanders first bought?

• Sad 1

Apparently the Raw Unpasteurized Milk Protocol is working well for McCoy.

Maybe Alex should try it.

Source: QB McCoy should be ready for camp

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26748626/qb-mccoy-ready-camp

"His recovery from his fractured fibula is going well, and he is expected to participate to some extent by minicamp and be fully ready by training camp, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "

• Like 1

So, some of you just can’t let the car thing.  Makes zero sense to me but to each their own. 

There is is an article posted in BHRBN about how tight a family he has and they support system he has around him.  

He he is well educated, comes from at least some money, handles himself professionally, and it appears he has some decent football ability. 

His is buying a nice car for himself and his mom with his $8.5M signing bonus should not raise any flags unless you are just looking for something to be concerned about. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Gonna ask, and I have a sinking feeling I'm going to regret this:

Why, exactly, do we care what Haskins spends his money on... Why do we care if he goes broke? Why do we care if he stays rich the rest of his life?

It is a total non-factor for us. 

As fans I believe we should care about a few things: On field play, his character, and the number one rule: him not being a dick. 

If you're a hater, lover, neutraler, apologist, Hiram of Haskins, Keen for Keenum, Cult of Colt...

It frankly doesn't matter in the least, to literally any of us. 

I go through life working a regular job, making less in my entire LIFE than Haskins will on his actual contract. Him buying a Bentley, or a 70's shaggin' wagon is of absolutely no consequence to any of us.

So... why do we care what he spends his money on, and why are we offering him financial advice or posting articles about players going broke?

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why, exactly, do we care what Haskins spends his money on... Why do we care if he goes broke? Why do we care if he stays rich the rest of his life?

As fans I believe we should care about a few things: On field play, his character, and the number one rule: him not being a dick. 

If you're a hater, lover, neutraler, apologist, Hiram of Haskins, Keen for Keenum, Cult of Colt...

I go through life working a regular job, making less in my entire LIFE than Haskins will on his actual contract. Him buying a Bentley, or a 70's shaggin' wagon is of absolutely no consequence to any of us.

So... why do we care what he spends his money on, and why are we offering him financial advice or posting articles about players going broke?

I mean, if he spends all his money, maybe it would be a motivating factor for him to make sure he succeeds and gets a second contract. 🤷‍♂️

Seriously though, whether this man ends up broke or not later in life has zero bearing on his ability to quarterback this team, which, selfishly enough, is the only thing I really care about. 

• Like 3

We're talkin' about the car et. al. because after getting seriously goosed by the draft in ways we didn't see coming, we're in the dead zone with nothing whatsoever to focus on, so we're hittin the pipe and makin up **** to pass the time. 

None of it means nothin', blah blah blah<check the calendar> blah blah<calendar again> blah blah blah

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rookie Camp is over. And we need drama.

And we will take it, any way we can get it.

Whether it's Haskins' car, or Haskins getting the 3/4 Pound Triple Burger from Wendy's and a Milkshake, to add to his already large and relatively non-fast body frame.

Was that burger with bacon? Did it have veggies on it?..and what size was the milkshake..we need details if we gonna get into the niddy griddy here...

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

He can even be a dick for all I care..as long as he wins games..or helps win games..

Edited by bakedtater1
Add content

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Because we're Extremeskins...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't think anyone really does care all that much about what he spends his money on.  Seems like a contrived rallying cry from some fans to get behind.  It's the offseason and need to find a reason to be "extreme".  I've seen infinitely more posts about why it's not a big deal, it's awesome, means nothing, talking down anyone who disagrees than I have folks actually having a legitimate issue with it.  

@KDawg Not sure what you are confused about.  Unless I’m missing something here, I don’t see a bunch of people ragging on dudes car.  EB said it was “kind of” a red flag and another poster posted a news article about how players go broke. Neither of which were on some type of tangent that Haskins is destined to be a failure because of it.  It’s much ado about nothing.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Confused 1

First impression is that he isn't passionate about being here. Sounds like he's saying the right things but doesn't "feel it". That said, I could be wrong and also who cares. Throw touchdown win games and be a killer. Not everyone is Fred Smoot.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

It is a nice ride though

Yeah, it's sweet. I think that was my only issue with Trent's gorilla chain.....it was just so goddamn ugly and tacky.  :ols:

• Like 1