seantaylor=god

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with a disclaimer.  I thought the defense was missing two things to elevate itself from good to potentially great -- a very good MLb and a very good pass rusher.  They potentially have that with Sweat and Foster.  Will see though.

Don't sleep on Holcombe too....tackling machine and Kyle said he's smart enough to call the defense.  Be great if Ruben works out and the nIcredible Holcombe can unseat Mason the man who hates fans.  LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On cue, Warren Sharp takes his shot.  I liked the Zach FA signing when we got him.  But coaches say  he's out of position all the time.  But he's a stud according to PFF's metrics so the Eagles (who reputation wise are all about analytics) got it right and the Redskins got it wrong.   Heck I do agree that the Eagles FO at times seems to be playing chess while other teams play checkers.  But I think Sharp can get carried away with it -- its not ALL about numbers. 

"WAS cut him after 2018 "to save cap $"
-PHI signed him to a 1-yr, $3M deal"

Sharp isn't being too sharp by writing those two lines above lol...

1) By putting "to save cap $" in quotes, he seems to be indicating that the Skins cutting Brown to save cap money is not true since the Eagles signed him to a mere $3 Mil...If so, I think we all know why that's an asinine thing to imply...

2) The fact that Brown could be acquired for just $3M and 1-year from someone kind of hints that he may not have "crushed" as hard last year as Sharp wants to believe...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Don't sleep on Holcombe too....tackling machine and Kyle said he's smart enough to call the defense.  Be great if Ruben works out and the nIcredible Holcombe can unseat Mason the man who hates fans.  LOL

I find it weird when almost everything I've read about Holcomb was that he would far from being a sure tackler in the NFL but around here he's noted as a tackling machine.

Furthermore, he still has to beat SDH for the starting duty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I get that QBs should be able to thrive in any schemes but if we do get a new HC that'll basically mean that Haskins will be learning his third system in three years.

It wouldn't be the Redskins if our new shiny QB wasn't forced to learn at least his 3rd system in 3 years.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I doubt it. I like SDH, but he hasn’t had a healthy year since HS. It’s probably naive to think that his backup isn’t going to get a chance this year. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I find it weird when almost everything I've read about Holcomb was that he would far from being a sure tackler in the NFL but around here he's noted as a tackling machine.

He led the ACC in tackles in 2018 and was 6th and 5th respectively in the years before so I get the tackling machine comments. But, from what I've seen he also lacks pop/violence at the point of attack so I also get the not a sure tackler side as well. He'll wrap up when he tackles, but he seems to more drag guys down after a yard or two rather then stop them in their tracks.

15 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

He led the ACC in tackles in 2018 and was 6th and 5th respectively in the years before so I get the tackling machine comments. But, from what I've seen he also lacks pop/violence at the point of attack so I also get the not a sure tackler side as well. He'll wrap up when he tackles, but he seems to more drag guys down after a yard or two rather then stop them in their tracks.

With the thumpers elsewhere on this defense, just holding up the ball carrier will be enough.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

One of the reasons the skins have always failed at qb is that they always spend big resources on a qb.. then change coaches. Doing so has been a waste. It's why I did agree with your thinking. 

This draft was so good though, that I really feel like we have set a strong foundation for the team. I don't mind running with gruden longer than I had originally had in mind. 

I should ad, I'm not anti-Gruden. He's shown he can be a yes man to Snyder/Allen while still getting certain football things done. We can pretend that the next HC will have full player control and have this franchise making football only decisions, but we have to know that will never happen. This ability to walk between owner and team is a skill that whomever is the HC of that team has to have. Gruden has his weaknesses, but he's done decent in that area. 

To be clear I'm not saying I agree with this structure, but ignoring it or pretending it can change is wrong. We have to work with what we have and certain things,  like Snyder's intervention is unavoidable.  

We can't have perfection everywhere. I would love a Devin Bush behind our current line, someone with speed and power, but no team is without holes. 

Can anyone go back and analyze Solomon Thomas as a prospect? I thought he was sudden and violent and loved him, and I'm surprised he has been so invisible. 

I didn't know where to put this but i thought the draft discussion was ok. 

I don't like the Ha-SKINS look. I'll even go as far as to say I hate it. Who are the Ha-SKINS? 

Jim Haslett

Leonard Hankerson

Albert Haynesworth 

Jason Hatcher

HaHa ClintonDix

Gebron Hamden

I could be leaving some out but so many disappointments whose name starts with Ha. Do we really want to like Haskins (and Harmon) to these guys? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RabidFan said:

I see his ceiling as backup/ST stud. 

For his testing numbers he seems very stiff in pads. 

@The Consigliere You asked (not directed at me) a while back about how McLaurin is a fantastic pick on so many levels and raised your concerns with the pick.  As I’ve said elsewhere - there are legitimate concerns about the statistics/trends regarding McLaurin, and I’m certainly not going to brush those off.  However, in terms of positive factors...

1) He adds needed speed to the offense.  

2)  As a team captain, he can potentially help further the culture we seem to be working toward.  

3) High character individual - he’s an extremely hard worker that works on his craft.  He relishes blocking, which Gruden has been looking for.  

4) He brings to the table instant chemistry with Haskins.  

5) He put up some quality stats, particularly given his market share.  

Will he become a significant contributor?  Can he be an outlier to the predictive factors?  No idea.  

On 5/3/2019 at 5:17 PM, Wildbunny said:

No telling what the transition to the pros means for Holcomb, but he’s considered a tackling machine because he put up tons of tackles through his college career.  

On 5/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Ideally, you have ILBs that can beat blockers to the ball carrier and can stack and shed blockers to make the tackle.  Holcomb (obviously) looks stronger at the former than the latter.   

Who knows whether he makes the team at some point, becomes a special teams ace, a strong backup, or earns a starting position.  My hope is he can bulk up a bit to add to that speed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

No telling what the transition to the pros means for Holcomb, but he’s considered a tackling machine because he put up tons of tackles through his college career.  

I know about that, and you can bet that scouting guys or draft geeks knows about this too.

Still stats in NCAA doesn't mean sure success in the NFL, that's all I'm saying.

Competition in the NFL is just stronger, bigger, faster. Not exactly what you're used to see in College Football.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Seems like there's good ability to work with so maybe our coaches coach him up and make something out of him. This kid seems like a great prospect given his intelligence and speed...maybe the weight room is what he needs for a year? 

10 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I know about that, and you can bet that scouting guys or draft geeks knows about this too.

Still stats in NCAA doesn't mean sure success in the NFL, that's all I'm saying.

Competition in the NFL is just stronger, bigger, faster. Not exactly what you're used to see in College Football.

The Steelers have a great history of drafting good linebacker prospects and just sitting them for the first year before unleashing them. This kid could be someone we work with in year one on the practice squad to let him get his feet wet without pressure.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@The Consigliere You asked (not directed at me) a while back about how McLaurin is a fantastic pick on so many levels and raised your concerns with the pick.  As I’ve said elsewhere - there are legitimate concerns about the statistics/trends regarding McLaurin, and I’m certainly not going to brush those off.  However, in terms of positive factors...

1) He adds needed speed to the offense.  

2)  As a team captain, he can potentially help further the culture we seem to be working toward.  

3) High character individual - he’s an extremely hard worker that works on his craft.  He relishes blocking, which Gruden has been looking for.  

4) He brings to the table instant chemistry with Haskins.  

5) He put up some quality stats, particularly given his market share.  

Will he become a significant contributor?  Can he be an outlier to the predictive factors?  No idea.  

6), Comes from a top program and was a key contributor. Also had his stats curbed somewhat because of the wealth of talent in the OSU offense.

• Like 2

Ah, my bad @Wildbunny, in responding to your “here he’s noted as a tackling machine”, I glossed over the far “from being a sure tackler in the NFL”.  

Better than missing a bunch of tackles (or notching low tackle totals) in college and then trying to transition to the pros, but yeah, as I said, no telling how he does.  

Posted (edited)

I like a lot of Ledyard takes typically -- he big time shared my man crush on Derrius Guice among other things last year.  He just weighed in with his take. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Harmon - A monster in the air....now that I like. 

Very evident from his cut-ups, physical beast who more often than not wants its more than his opponent Half the battle that, irrespective of measurables.

• Like 1

If we just drafted a "less polished Alex Smith" I may lose my ****!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If we just drafted a "less polished Alex Smith" I may lose my ****!

That's a pretty awful comparison, they're nothing alike other than playing for the Redskins and were coached by Urban Meyer in college. 

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like a lot of Ledyard takes typically -- he big time shared my man crush on Derrius Guice among other things last year.  He just weighed in with his take. 

Difficult to trust a Tytus denier, but I agree with all aside from giving up nothing to get Haskins — the Giants gave up something to get Daniel Jones.

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That's a pretty awful comparison, they're nothing alike other than playing for the Redskins and were coached by Urban Meyer in college. 

Both have hair cuts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Difficult to trust a Tytus denier, but I agree with all aside from giving up nothing to get Haskins — the Giants gave up something to get Daniel Jones.

He thinks the Giants bombed the draft.  Among the draft geeks, I've probably agreed with Ledyard more than anyone for the last 2 drafts so egotistically i like his view typically. 😀  I got issues with Haskins, not sure I agree with his Alex Smith analogy but I gather what he means by that is their bread and butter has been the short game.

As for this draft am especially big on Sweat, Love, McLaurin (pushed him with some opposition on the draft thread), Harmon.  I recall Sweat was one of your guys in a big way.  

You might be entertained by the article below.  11 scouts compared the last three years as for Qb prospects.   Haskins isn't that well regarded on the aggregate at least for those 11 scouts as to apples to apples comparison to other QB prospects.  Hopefully they are wrong. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Getting Sweat was the shot of adrenaline my heart needed after the Haskins selection.

People on twitter seem hard on Ledy, looks like he’s said some controversial stuff at some point, probably about the Vols. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You might be entertained by the article below.  11 scouts compared the last three years as for Qb prospects.   Haskins isn't that well regarded on the aggregate at least for those 11 scouts as to apples to apples comparison to other QB prospects.  Hopefully they are wrong. 

I fear where Haskins will rank at this time next year. 

AnnualVainIndianabat-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I fear where Haskins will rank at this time next year. 

I'm reserved, but cautiously optimistic about Haskins, but that list sucks. Any list that features Daniel Jones above Haskins is a joke. Also, Trubisky. The rest of the list, I don't fundamentally have an issue with, although, I think those are all really good prospects, although Rosen has yet to show out. 

1T: Baker Mayfield, Browns 2017, 35 points (4 first-place votes)
1T: Sam Darnold, Jets 2017, 35 points (4 first-place votes)
3: Deshaun Watson, Texans 2016, 33 points (1 first-place vote)
4: Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs 2016, 26.5 points (1 first-place vote)
5: Kyler Murray, Cardinals 2019, 18 points (1 first-place vote)
6: Josh Rosen, Cardinals 2018, 8.5 points
7: Mitch Trubisky, Bears 2017, 6 points
8: Daniel Jones, Giants 2019, 2 points
9: Dwayne Haskins, Redskins 2019, 1 point