Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

I think our defense is going to be too good to pick in the top 5. Jerry Jeudy would be a dream. Haskins, Guice, Jeudy, Love, McLaurin could be a really great skill position core, given health for the RB's. 

Chase Young would also be great. Imagine a DL with Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Da'Ron Payne, Johnathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle, all under 25, with a potential franchis CB in the fold. That is a championship core. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think our defense is going to be too good to pick in the top 5. Jerry Jeudy would be a dream. Haskins, Guice, Jeudy, Love, McLaurin could be a really great skill position core, given health for the RB's. 

Chase Young would also be great. Imagine a DL with Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Da'Ron Payne, Johnathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle, all under 25, with a potential franchis CB in the fold. That is a championship core. 

I agree with a disclaimer.  I thought the defense was missing two things to elevate itself from good to potentially great -- a very good MLb and a very good pass rusher.  They potentially have that with Sweat and Foster.  Will see though.

Arizona had the worst offensive line in the league last year, didn’t address it, and added the smallest possible quarterback they could. No, that is too risky to be considered a good draft. Negligent at best, even with the steal of Hakeem Butler. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller has us with the #1 pick in the draft.  The highest I've seen is Standig has us at 13.

It's not a projection, most of these 2020 mocks have been using vegas odds so they don't need to project. Miller included I think.

13 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Sweat just has to get some pressures and be solid against the run and we should be much, much better. 

In general I agree with your defense assessment but I hope that Sweat offers much more than “pressures” because that is exactly what Preston Smith is. And I think that was a contributing factor as to why we sucked against good-very good NFL QBs. Preston didn’t strike fear in their hearts because, I surmise, they knew they would only be tapped. I want sweat to get 10 sacks minimum his rookie year. I want our division QB’s hairs on the back of their necks to stand up whenever they drop back to pass. I think then and only then will we be able to handle those teams that have better QBs. 

That must have been interesting for Warren Sharp to type.   2 of the three metrics outfits (Sharp and the Football Outsiders people) often think the Redskins are morons.  the Football Outsiders season preview that has almost no editorial seems to make an exception for the Redskins and take up some space of their preview of them talking about dumb they are.

Sharp seems to think Jay is one of the leagues biggest culprits as to constantly misplaying the odds on downs and formations, etc.   but he does feel the same about the NY Giants, though.

The Giants albeit the league laughing stock since the draft is still more regarded by most of the draft geeks, power rankers, and even most of Vegas.  I get the pessimism to a degree.   but the Giants?  I am guessing its all about offense to them because I think the Redskins defense is clearly better than the Giants.

ODDS TO WIN SUPER BOWL 54

https://www.oddsshark.com/super-bowl/futures

• Kansas City Chiefs +700
  • New England Patriots +700
  • Los Angeles Rams +900
  • New Orleans Saints +900
  • Chicago Bears +1200
  • Cleveland Browns +1200
  • Philadelphia Eagles +1400
  • Indianapolis Colts +1600
  • Los Angeles Chargers +1600
  • Dallas Cowboys +2000
  • Green Bay Packers +2000
  • Minnesota Vikings +2200
  • Pittsburgh Steelers +2200
  • Houston Texans +2500
  • San Francisco 49ers +2500
  • Seattle Seahawks +2500
  • Baltimore Ravens +3000
  • Jacksonville Jaguars +3300
  • Atlanta Falcons +3500
  • Carolina Panthers +5500
  • Denver Broncos +6000
  • Oakland Raiders +6600
  • Tennessee Titans +7000
  • New York Giants +7500
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers +7500
  • New York Jets +8000
  • Detroit Lions +9000
  • Arizona Cardinals +10000
  • Buffalo Bills +10000
  • Cincinnati Bengals +15000
  • Miami Dolphins +15000
  • Washington Redskins +15000

Not sure if and where this has been posted.

But Charlie Campbell's' thoughts from walterfootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019awardsbestclass.php

Best Draft Class:

redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins
This was a tough decision between the Redskins and the Giants. While the media has fallen all over themselves to criticize New York, I would be willing to bet that those same media members have watched very little or next to nothing of Duke football over the past few years. I think the Giants came away with at least five future starters and some solid depth, so that is a superb draft class. The Redskins did not get as many new starters, but I think they win the top draft class because they got amazing quality with their early selections and added very good depth to their roster.

Washington has received a lot of well-deserved praise for its draft. But, the media hasn't been paying attention to the fact that this was keeping in the tradition of recent years, as Washington had some good drafts in 2018 and 2017. The organization is building a talented team of pure football players who are big, tough and physical. Washington's new first-round quarterback and edge rusher are perfect fits.

In Round 1, the Redskins brain trust of President Bruce Allen, senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams, and Director of College Scouting Kyle Smith did a great job of not panicking and trading away unnecessary picks. They stood pat and landed their young franchise quarterback in Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins. Haskins has a cannon for an arm and was an accurate passer for the Buckeyes last season. He really had an excellent year and showed a ton of upside for the NFL as a pocket passer.

Washington wasn't done on the opening night of the draft, moving back into the first round to get Mississippi State defensive end Montez Sweat. Sweat was one of the top edge rushers in the SEC over the past two years, displaying a dynamite skill set of speed, length, and some natural strength. He dominated the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine, only sliding into the 20s because of some medical concerns. If it weren't for the medical issues, Sweat would have been a top-10 pick. He is a great fit for the Redskins' defense as a 3-4 outside linebacker and also can put his hand in the ground to be an end. Sweat could form a lethal defensive front with Jonathan Allen, Da'Ron Payne and Ryan Kerrigan.

In the third round, Washington got a steal with Ohio State wide receiver Terry McLaurin. The speedster averaged over 20 yards per catch in 2018, before having excellent performances at the Senior Bowl and the combine, including ripping off a 40-yard dash in the 4.3 seconds. On top of being a receiver with a ton of upside, McLaurin is superb on special teams, and some teams had him rated as the top special teams player in the 2019 NFL Draft. What makes the McLaurin pick even better is the comfort level and relationship he has with first-round pick Dwayne Haskins. Having a friend will help each other make the transition from college to the NFL. They also have years of playing together in practice and games to lean on for experience in the passing game. McLaurin is a good player and will help Haskins to pan out as a pro on and off the field. This was a brilliant pick on some many levels by Redskins Super Bowl XXII MVP quarterback Doug Williams.

I think the Redskins made another intelligent pick on Day 3 with Stanford running back Bryce Love. He looked like a future first-rounder after the 2017 season, but injuries in 2018, including a torn ACL, dropped him to the third day of the 2019 NFL Draft. Washington can stash Love for a year and let him recover due to Adrian Peterson returning. A year later, Love and Derrius Guice could give the Redskins two talented young running backs who have first-round skill sets.

After Love, Washington add some depth with guard Wes Martin, center Ross Pierschbacher and linebacker Cole Holcomb. Sixth-round pick Kelvin Harmon was a steal as a potential possessional receiver, while seventh-round corner Jimmy Moreland and defensive lineman Jordan Brailford could be good rotational backups as well.

I really love what Allen, Williams and Smith are doing in the draft over the past three years. They are taking pure football players who bring toughness, size, quickness, and physicality to the team. It might take some time to mature, but it would not surprise me at all if this Redskins draft class lays the foundation for the team to become a consistent playoff contender year-after-year for many seasons to come.

On cue, Warren Sharp takes his shot.  I liked the Zach FA signing when we got him.  But coaches say  he's out of position all the time.  But he's a stud according to PFF's metrics so the Eagles (who reputation wise are all about analytics) got it right and the Redskins got it wrong.   Heck I do agree that the Eagles FO at times seems to be playing chess while other teams play checkers.  But I think Sharp can get carried away with it -- its not ALL about numbers. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On cue, Warren Sharp takes his shot.  I liked the Zach FA signing when we got him.  But coaches say  he's out of position all the time.  But he's a stud according to PFF's metrics so the Eagles (who reputation wise are all about analytics) got it right and the Redskins got it wrong.   Heck I do agree that the Eagles FO at times seems to be playing chess while other teams play checkers.  But I think Sharp can get carried away with it -- its not ALL about numbers. 

Brown, like Swearinger was a vocal dissenter so I imagine this had a large roll to play. 

14 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Arizona had the worst offensive line in the league last year, didn’t address it, and added the smallest possible quarterback they could. No, that is too risky to be considered a good draft. Negligent at best, even with the steal of Hakeem Butler. 

Not that I disagree, but they added a QB that can help by moving the pocket and buying time. If I have a bad OL I'd rather have a Murray type QB than than a Rosen as well. 

Another item to consider is Kliff Kingsbury will be implementing his 'air-raid' offensive philosophy. He's no Sean McVay, but they will be a lot of shotgun, a lot of formation changes, a bunch of quick passes and a moving pocket. In short despite the OL being sub-par it's going to be tough to get a clean shot on the QB by design.

54 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Brown, like Swearinger was a vocal dissenter so I imagine this had a large roll to play. 

Yeah, this along with his contract which was going to jump up in terms of cap hit, made it tough for him to stay on the roster. 

I know teams hate players not keeping things in house, but I also think if coaches and coordinators don't have the respect of the players it's bound to happen. If Brown and Swearinger were a vocal problem we still had Mason Foster curse out the team and it's fans and IMO because he had a smaller contract it was okay. 

Post draft is anyone worried about the RB spot? This might be a learning year for Haskins, so maybe the RB spot will have a limited impact of our total record, but here's what I'm seeing: 

Adrian Peterson - He was great last year, but at 34 when will the drop off happen? At the RB spot that drop off can be pretty drastic. 

Derrius Guice - He's had a year from the ACL surgery, but he's also had 3 follow up surgeries to take care of an infection in the knee. It's fair to assume his recovery is probably running behind a typical ACL reconstruction. 

Bryce Love - He'll get essentially a red shirt year as he recovers from an ACL tear from this past college season. 

Chris Thompson - Great 3rd down back that in a limited role just can't stay healthy.

Samaje Perine - After seeing what he had to offer we spent 2 draft picks on RBs and signed a 30+ year old guy. With limited pass catching ability and despite being forced into special teams last year he's not a strong contributor there. In short I'm not sure if he makes the team. 

The side that concerns me the most is the Guice surgeries followed by the Bryce Love pick in the 4th round. It's almost like the team is looking at the RB position for 2020 and didn't feel confident Guice would be the guy. I'd hate for his career to be over before it even has a start. 

2 hours ago, Unbias said:

Post draft is anyone worried about the RB spot? This might be a learning year for Haskins, so maybe the RB spot will have a limited impact of our total record, but here's what I'm seeing: 

Adrian Peterson - He was great last year, but at 34 when will the drop off happen? At the RB spot that drop off can be pretty drastic. 

Derrius Guice - He's had a year from the ACL surgery, but he's also had 3 follow up surgeries to take care of an infection in the knee. It's fair to assume his recovery is probably running behind a typical ACL reconstruction. 

Bryce Love - He'll get essentially a red shirt year as he recovers from an ACL tear from this past college season. 

Chris Thompson - Great 3rd down back that in a limited role just can't stay healthy.

Samaje Perine - After seeing what he had to offer we spent 2 draft picks on RBs and signed a 30+ year old guy. With limited pass catching ability and despite being forced into special teams last year he's not a strong contributor there. In short I'm not sure if he makes the team. 

The side that concerns me the most is the Guice surgeries followed by the Bryce Love pick in the 4th round. It's almost like the team is looking at the RB position for 2020 and didn't feel confident Guice would be the guy. I'd hate for his career to be over before it even has a start. 

There is definitely concern at the position. 

It really comes depends on when guice is ready to go and how long Peterson and Thompson can make it. I see the rb position as a defining factor of our season. 

We haven't seen guice play so we don't really know what we have in him. I'm also not sure we can cut perine yet due to the expected unavailability of the others. 

17 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

There is definitely concern at the position. 

It really comes depends on when guice is ready to go and how long Peterson and Thompson can make it. I see the rb position as a defining factor of our season. 

We haven't seen guice play so we don't really know what we have in him. I'm also not sure we can cut perine yet due to the expected unavailability of the others. 

I agree with you. Guice, based on his college tape, is an explosive, down hill runner. He reminded me quite a bit of Clinton Portis and I'm still holding out hope that he'll be that guy whom puts our running on par with the Cowboys/Giants. 

The other thing I keep thinking about is that Snyder was rumored to be the one picking the QB and Jay Gruden is in his 'dead duck' last year of his contract. With the way even great rookie QB's go there's a chance the team overall isn't that good and next year will start a new regime. If that's the case I can envision whomever is hired obviously will be brought in to work with Haskins, so whatever they want from the RB spot is unknown. I'd also say that Guice and Love are both talented and different types of runners, but there's a chance neither is property health or the right fit. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anyone who is subscribed to ESPN Insider or whatever it's called want to post the section from this article relevant to our draft? Very interested in what league execs think about our draft compared to the media and fan reaction. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26655155/nfl-execs-unfiltered-every-team-2019-draft-class

Can someone give the Cole's notes on the Skins and the rest of the NFCE? 

Thanks in advance. I totally want to see the commentary, but then again we won't know if the quote is from Bilichick or Gettleman, so we have to remember to take it all with a grain of salt. 

7 minutes ago, Unbias said:

The other thing I keep thinking about is that Snyder was rumored to be the one picking the QB and Jay Gruden is in his 'dead duck' last year of his contract. With the way even great rookie QB's go there's a chance the team overall isn't that good and next year will start a new regime. If that's the case I can envision whomever is hired obviously will be brought in to work with Haskins, so whatever they want from the RB spot is unknown. I'd also say that Guice and Love are both talented and different types of runners, but there's a chance neither is property health or the right fit. 

That was honestly my biggest gripe against drafting a QB. I don't want it to become our own Rosen situation but if we clean house in some way then I'd rather we not be limited by compatibility with a QB's skill set. I get that QBs should be able to thrive in any schemes but if we do get a new HC that'll basically mean that Haskins will be learning his third system in three years.

20 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I agree with you. Guice, based on his college tape, is an explosive, down hill runner. He reminded me quite a bit of Clinton Portis and I'm still holding out hope that he'll be that guy whom puts our running on par with the Cowboys/Giants. 

I do agree with you on Gruden, which is why I didn't want a QB this year, but I can't really fault them for taking a decent QB prospect at 15. The team is shaping up though talent wise.. it might buy Gruden time. 

I dont think guice is a bruiser, but i wouldnt worry about fit. Running backs have one of the least problems with fit of all NFL positions. 

Guice went in the 2nd round. Love has the same if not more talent than guice. 

Just gotta worry about health. If these two regain college form, any nfl coach will find a use for them and we'll end up with probably the best 1-2 punch in the league. 

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That was honestly my biggest gripe against drafting a QB. I don't want it to become our own Rosen situation but if we clean house in some way then I'd rather we not be limited by compatibility with a QB's skill set. I get that QBs should be able to thrive in any schemes but if we do get a new HC that'll basically mean that Haskins will be learning his third system in three years.

Personally while we are under QB contract hell I wanted to purge contract, run with McCoy/Keenam and just position ourselves to pick high in next year's draft. Maybe do a Miami type trade for Rosen, but keep all options open as there are some roles, like HC, that are currently in flux. 

22 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Personally while we are under QB contract hell I wanted to purge contract, run with McCoy/Keenam and just position ourselves to pick high in next year's draft. Maybe do a Miami type trade for Rosen, but keep all options open as there are some roles, like HC, that are currently in flux. 

One of the reasons the skins have always failed at qb is that they always spend big resources on a qb.. then change coaches. Doing so has been a waste. It's why I did agree with your thinking. 

This draft was so good though, that I really feel like we have set a strong foundation for the team. I don't mind running with gruden longer than I had originally had in mind. 

Archived