• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

seantaylor=god

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

I guess the 3rd day has been a bit underwhelming on expectations (so far) after hitting on the first 3 picks.  

I hear what you're saying but if anyone can definitively say that we hit or missed on picks after the 3rd round, they're lying.  

• Like 3

His tape on ESPN with Kiper shows him in the middle a bunch and making endless tackles.

2 minutes ago, Brother Redskin said:

he is listed at 6ft 235lbs,  ILB would be my guess in a 3-4D

From what I can tell he played Will 4-3 OLB at UNC and wasn't a pass rusher. So yeah, that would translate into an ILB guy in a 3-4.

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I guess the 3rd day has been a bit underwhelming on expectations (so far) after hitting on the first 3 picks.  

Not to me. Two tough, viable IOL picks and a value pick of an injured stud is absolutely a 4th/5th round I would have signed up for when I woke up this morning. Add on a tackling speed demon for STs too now. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

McLaurin is a very good pick on so many levels and having chemistry with Haskins being one of the biggest factors. He's a special teams beast to boot.

My biggest problem with the Love pick is he probably could've been had in the back end of the draft and quite possibly as a FA. It makes no sense PERIOD because we already have enough RB's coming off of injuries and Love might not even be available this year. It's not the end all be all, but I simply don't get the reasoning for this pick. He's talented, I get it. He's also unavailable. 

Look at it this way, the odds of us winning the SB this year are slim to none so we don't need Love this year anyway. AP and DG, CT will carry the load this season. Love is the kind of pick that shows vision and patience. Having him locked up means he's ours and, had he been healthy, he'd likely have been one of the top backs taken. When healthy, getting him in the 4th round will look really smart. 

• Like 6

Someone else brought this up, but Mort looks and sounds done.  Sure there's a field somewhere out there around Nashville.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You must be new at this.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hear what you're saying but if anyone can definitively say that we hit or missed on picks after the 3rd round, they're lying.  

That is why I put expectations in the line.  Those three hit our expectations.

• Like 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

This is good to see.  I've felt we've been mediocre to poor in the speed department for a few years now.

I would compare the Love pick as closer to the Moreau and SDH picks because we kinda knew they'd be stashed when we drafted them. 

• Like 1

So is CBS. Whoa. Off to work. If anyone wants to start some Welcome threads for the remaining draft picks,go ahead. I probably won't have time. Thanks in advance. HTTR>

Posted (edited)

I don't know what to make of this draft. TV analysts say the Skins are doing well, all my friends are saying the team is blowing it outside of Sweat.

Edited by httrMP
forgot a word
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The NFL network guys are giving us a lot of props, this is ****ing weird.

I was just gonna post this. 2 of them say we are going to be dangerous. I am a little concerned about WR still. But maybe we can pick up a veteran cut after training camp to solidify the room. I hope Gruden figures out a way to get two backs on the field more. Because that is the strength of our offense. 

They hashed and rehashed the Guice emoji several times.  Was getting annoying.   They don't talk as much on the drafted players without Mayock....Kiper at least gave a rundown on Holcomb.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, httrMP said:

I don't what to make of this draft. TV analysts say the Skins are doing well, all my friends are saying the team is blowing it outside of Sweat.

Easy, get new friends.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

ESPN said Stanford's Head Coach thinks Love will produce big time for the Skins once he gets healthy again.

Stanford's Head Coach knows his stuff and could be coaching now in the NFL if he wanted to do so.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I was just gonna post this. 2 of them say we are going to be dangerous. I am a little concerned about WR still. But maybe we can pick up a veteran cut after training camp to solidify the room. I hope Gruden figures out a way to get two backs on the field more. Because that is the strength of our offense. 

I am concerned about WR, too.   I'd like a veteran too.  I'd never normally admit to something like this but I'm hoping Cam Sims can come back this year and make some noise.  Odds are against that but it's spring, the season of football hope.  

One of the NFL network guys was saying we can lead the league in rushing, I am not sure about all that.  AP is old and last year it seemed like boom or bust with him.  It was a game for 20 yards or 120 yards.  Guice is coming back from the ACL injury.  Thompson is always hurt.  And now Bryce Love, who can be a steal, is coming back from an ACL.  But when you rattle off AP, Guice, Bryce, CT...yeah, if they're all healthy, that can be a very impressive group.  That remains to be seen, though.

It's really hard not to get excited and hopes up...for me, at least.  I love this draft, we got a potential franchise QB and his great WR teammate, a speed outside rusher, some help for our always injured Oline, a lightning bolt RB when healthy and a fast ILB who looks like a tackle machine.

As I said, it's spring, it's the season of hope and it's easy to look at these guys and imaging them all panning out.  The draft is so weird.  I was watching the first round with a buddy of mine and about 12 or 13 picks in I said to him, "In a few years we'll look back on this and half these guys are going to be busts...but tonight they all look like future hall of famers."  

That said, it's one of my favorite parts of the football season, there's a lot of hope and promise in the air and it feels good.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PCS said:

So is CBS. Whoa. Off to work. If anyone wants to start some Welcome threads for the remaining draft picks,go ahead. I probably won't have time. Thanks in advance. HTTR>

I'll see what I can do for that, if draft doersn't end up at 5 am for me :P

• Haha 1