Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

26 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Right now he'll replace Chris Thompson on the IR, or they'll both share a place there at some point during the season...

SIP is also good at politics according to him, maybe he could help Dan finding a stadium better than Bruce.

SIP will save us!

I am the only hope.  But I need a sidekick -- maybe the two of us together?  We can go bowling with Dan, agree with everything he says or whatever it takes to move up the corporate ladder. 

1 minute ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Rotoworld does not paint a good picture of this kid.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/49783/kelvin-harmon

Harmon’s athletic limitations were revealed in Indy with a 4.6-flat forty, 32 ½-inch vertical, and sluggish 7.15 three-cone time. A high-production possession receiver with a low ceiling, Harmon would do well to carve out a Mohamed Sanu-level career. Washington entered the draft looking for a No. 1 receiver, but Harmon is unlikely to be it.

Wait, he’s not a #1 WR in round 6?!?!?!?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am the only hope.  But I need a sidekick -- maybe the two of us together?  We can go bowling with Dan, agree with everything he says or whatever it takes to move up the corporate ladder. 

Go there with @goskins10, you both did a good job with our annual mock draft, and he can plays golf with Dan as well!

I honestly think despite his issues, Harmon did fall too far. People are talking about his issues as if he's Simmie Cobbs from last year (just a coincidence that he's on our roster and I bring this up, imo he's kinda a poster boy for putting up numbers in college and looking good in contested catch situations but being slower than molasses with no ability to separate). Harmon is not that. He could very well earn a starting spot on this team if Doctson doesn't find some fire and hold him off. Perfect personality and play style to challenge him imo 

3 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Harmon’s athletic limitations were revealed in Indy with a 4.6-flat forty, 32 ½-inch vertical, and sluggish 7.15 three-cone time. A high-production possession receiver with a low ceiling, Harmon would do well to carve out a Mohamed Sanu-level career. Washington entered the draft looking for a No. 1 receiver, but Harmon is unlikely to be it.

I see game tape. Looks like a steal.

3 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Yeah, but they seem to be going strictly by his workout numbers.

I'd rather have a guy who leaves it on the field every Sunday then a workout warrior who disappears in games.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Love it! Madison guy in the house. I wonder if the play him at corner or FS. He is a zone guy. Cool pick though. And good for him!

An undersized speedy player from JMU?  How could that possibly work out?  Oh. Wait a sec. Gary Clark comes to mind. 

4 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I think he's a better prospect than Sanu. That being said, Sanu certainly isn't an Pro Bowler, but he's had a solid, productive career. I'd take that out of a late 6th rounder any day.

18 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

The reason why I looked at Harmon so late in the draft process was because the dude wasn't the athlete that some of the others top prospects were.  So I figured he wasn't worth it.  But something compelled me to do it this week and I am glad I did.   

For example Miles Boykin is an athletic freak, on paper the dude is exciting, runs a 4.42 with crazy agility.  But if you patiently sit through and watch some games of his -- he doesn't make a lot of plays.  He might become a good receiver but IMO you are projecting a lot with him.   You put on Harmon's games and he's making plays all over the field, short and deep.  Boykin often wouldn't come down with the contested catch.  Harmon did come up with those catches.  Harmon to me plays like a dude with his hair on fire and has hands of glue.

The players who aren't fast -- I worry about their ability to separate and beat press coverage.  Harmon breaks loose and gets open.  He reminds me of Garcon-Boldin-Thomas in that he has strong hands and just finds ways to make plays. 

He was the #1 receiver in this draft in the category of receiving expected points ahead of Isabella, Marquise Brown, Whiteside, Campbell, etc.  

The sun doesn't rise and set with the dude but for me he was one of the most fun receivers to watch among the 18 or so guys I watched 5 or so games of.  He plays with a feistiness and attitude I think we are missing at the receiver spot.   And I don't mean this as a shot at Doctson but Harmon to me plays with an attitude and ferocity that seems lacking with Doctson.   He blocks to me like that too.  Both McLaurin and Harmon can block. 

Here's Brugler's take 

6. KELVIN HARMON | NC State 6024 | 221 lbs. | JR. Palmyra, N.J. (Palmyra) 

STRENGTHS: Above-average play strength and uses his size to his advantage…snatch-and-secure hands-catcher…natural tracking skills to locate, adjust and highpoint…maintains focus while jostling for position…displays a knack for creating late separation…comfortable in 50/50 situations…flashes the ability to snap off routes without gearing down…works the sideline well…quick feet and violent hands to defeat press…often requires gang-tackles by the defense to get him grounded…production improved each of the last three seasons with career highs in 2018.

WEAKNESSES: Not naturally explosive…accelerates well but long-speed is average…mechanical lower body at the top of routes…will try and get a head start and prematurely round off patterns…routes require nuance to better set up corners…bad habit of unnecessarily jumping at the catch point…relies too much on pushing off, regardless if he needs to or not.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at NC State, Harmon played the “X” receiver position in the Wolfpack offense and finished his career with 2,665 receiving yards, which ranks third best in school history (behind Torry Holt and Jerricho Cotchery). NC State joined Oklahoma as the only FBS schools with a 3,000-yard passer (Ryan Finley), 1,000-yard rusher (Reggie Gallaspy) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Harmon, Jakobi Meyers) in 2018. While he needs to sharpen his routes, Harmon has a knack for creating early or late windows due to his (sometimes) subtle physicality to separate. Although not on the same level from a technical perspective, there are Michael Thomas flashes on his tape with his above-average ball skills. Overall, Harmon’s lack of an explosive top gear is bothersome, but he competes with outstanding play strength and the “my ball” mentality to track, adjust and finish. GRADE: 2nd Round (#51 overall)

Archived