Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Could You Draw A Dot Within 50 Miles Of Your House?': Why The U.S. May Have A Geography Literacy Problem

China

36 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How much to scale is said map?

If it is on regular 8.5x11, a sticker could easily be 50 miles off by sliding it over a centimeter.

Large enough to have state and county lines. So unless you live in a monster sized county, just putting a dot on it would work. 

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We aren't really taught geography that heavy in school either.

That must depend on where you go. 

In my elementary school there was at least one year heavily dedicated to Virginia geography and history. We had to do tests and projects revolving around the geography of the state. 

So I was going to say something snarky about not being able to get from one state to another without traveling on an interstate road (as by definition, interstate means it goes between two or more states), when obviously you meant an interstate highway which is part of the national system.  Anyway, as I was looking up info on the interstate system, it tells me they have 3 interstates in Hawaii.  Again, I think somebody doesn't know the meaning of the word because there are no roads in Hawaii that go to another state.  So they would necessarily be intrastate highways.  Nevermind me.

6 minutes ago, China said:

So I was going to say something snarky about not being able to get from one state to another without traveling on an interstate road (as by definition, interstate means it goes between two or more states), when obviously you meant an interstate highway which is part of the national system.  Anyway, as I was looking up info on the interstate system, it tells me they have 3 interstates in Hawaii.  Again, I think somebody doesn't know the meaning of the word because there are no roads in Hawaii that go to another state.  So they would necessarily be intrastate highways.  Nevermind me.

The whole point was to make sure there were federal roads for the federal military to get around, we already had highways, interstate or intrastate

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The whole point was to make sure there were federal roads for the federal military to get around, we already had highways, interstate or intrastate

I know that, I was just being pedantic about the term "interstate".

Archived