Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via @MikeGarafolo The #Redskins are signing DE Matt Ioannidis to a three-year extension

SWFLSkins

Gotta keep him healthy, but love these takes on him...

2017 - 

• On the season, Ioannidis now has the league’s second-highest pass rushing productivity score of 13.2, trailing only Aaron Donald among interior defenders. He has 20 total pressures from just 121 pass-rushing snaps. (Through 6 games - ie. prior to breaking his hand)

2018 -

Ioannidis leads all defensive interiors with at least 40 pass-rush snaps in pressure percentage (23.1) and pass-rush productivity (14.4) through Week 3.

He’s shown flashes of being one of the top DTs in the game and he’s still learning.  What a great get for the Skins.  

Like pretty much everybody else I'm happy about this move. Matt proved himself, grew up here, and this was the right move. If only could find a team desperate to reach the cap floor so they won't be fined who would take on Smith's contract for us.

11 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would guess as a 5th rounder he is playing for pretty small beer at the moment and so knowing he needed to have another season of good production and to also stay healthy to get to that FA money he weighed the risk and took the money on the table now.  Provided he is not stupid it is enough money to secure a future for his family and if things go well he will get another chance at a contract whilst still in his prime.

He only plays 44% of the snaps.  Doesn't make sense anyone would pay him more then he's received on the extension except that teams overpay in FA.  I love the role he plays and he's an integral part of the pass rush. Better for them to sign him now for sure. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This seems like an extremely team friendly that looks like a steal for the Redskins. 

No. Market value. Fair deal for security on both sides.  He plays 44% of the snaps surrounded by studs and he's excelling at his role in the scheme. 

My two favorite highlights from the Greek..tossing Zeke and using the o linemen to sack Rodgers..

11 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

There goes my 'spricy theory about Allen planning to eliminate all of McLough's work here.

Oh good..I was thinking this too, so ya think Scherff sticks around than?

19 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Really nice move.  Color me shocked.  Hail

That was my feeling.  Like it’s too smart of a move for the Redskins.  Someone must have told Bruce that Ioannidis was a free agent D linemen from the Cowboys.

12 hours ago, TheShredder said:

No. Market value. Fair deal for security on both sides.  He plays 44% of the snaps surrounded by studs and he's excelling at his role in the scheme. 

He was "surrounded by studs" in 2017?...Cuz he was DAMN good then before his injury.

This is a very good move. Give credit where credit is due - and it does not matter if it was someone else's idea of Bruce's. It's on his watch. He put himself in position to take credit and blame. So have to give him credit.

Get Scherff done and this could have a B/B+ offseason grade, excluding the draft which I tend to give it's own grade. Signing a solid LG would have made it an A. But still pretty good. 

Archived