Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via @MikeGarafolo The #Redskins are signing DE Matt Ioannidis to a three-year extension

SWFLSkins

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This matches up with about when our other DL are going to hit FA.  We'll know a lot more about everybody by then.  Locks up the DL together for a potential run (need a QB, or a LG/FS/CB/etc)

Does this deal seem cheap to anyone?  Wouldn't he have gotten more on the open market?

Very much so..  i figured if he hit the market he'd be seeing an AAV in the double digits easy. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This matches up with about when our other DL are going to hit FA.  We'll know a lot more about everybody by then.  Locks up the DL together for a potential run (need a QB, or a LG/FS/CB/etc)

Does this deal seem cheap to anyone?  Wouldn't he have gotten more on the open market?

That was my first thought. Well done!

I would guess as a 5th rounder he is playing for pretty small beer at the moment and so knowing he needed to have another season of good production and to also stay healthy to get to that FA money he weighed the risk and took the money on the table now.  Provided he is not stupid it is enough money to secure a future for his family and if things go well he will get another chance at a contract whilst still in his prime.

5 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Fantastic re-signing by the Skins FO, always liked the Big Greek. Also more than likely takes DL off the list in 1st round of the draft. 

HTTR 

Edge rusher is still a strong possibility early on, though I’m finding more and more interesting prospects likely available in the middle rounds.  Regarding big boys for the DL, I’ll be shocked if we take one before the 5th and I don’t expect us to draft one at all... provided they don’t trade Ioannidis - which I’m hoping this move was not about.  

Love this move.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Edge rusher is still a strong possibility early on, though I’m finding more and more interesting prospects likely available in the middle rounds.  Regarding big boys for the DL, I’ll be shocked if we take one before the 5th and I don’t expect us to draft one at all... provided they don’t trade Ioannidis - which I’m hoping this move was not about.  

Love this move.  

Well it would be enormously stupid to trade him immediately if we have to eat the signing bonus which is normally the case. (Of course maybe that is why we did it - Ioannidas for Rosen straight up? - we exchange cap hits?) 

I like the Ioannidis signing, and this also means we don't draft DL if talent falls.  Which is fine, we have loads of needs elsewhere that should match up with BPA.  This is a position I can firmly cross off the list.  Also means that as I watch the draft, I'll be happiest if IDL goes before our picks.

Who cares that Jeffrey Simmons tore his ACL?  Draft him in the Top 14!

Jeff Simmons is going to be an absolute monster. But I dont think we have the luxury of spending another day one pick on the DL. There are just so many other needs. ( although the prospect of a Allen/Payne/Simmons/Ion front 4 would be devastating).

This is a phenomenal move by the FO.

Archived