Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds

Riggo-toni

Um, duh....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/04/05/dog-owners-are-much-happier-than-cat-owners-survey-finds/?utm_term=.b1b6146175de&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey finds

GZ2QPF6WSVGVRAFG2ETPLTJTOQ.png
April 5 at 6:00 AM

The well-respected survey that’s been a barometer of American politics, culture and behavior for more than four decades finally got around to the question that has bedeviled many a household.

Dog or cat?

In 2018, the General Social Survey for the first time included a battery of questions on pet ownership. The findings not only quantified the nation’s pet population — nearly 6 in 10 households have at least one —they made it possible to see how pet ownership overlaps with all sorts of factors of interest to social scientists.

Like happiness.

AMPJPGCMXJBDZPSK4EM42NY32Y.png

For starters, there is little difference between pet owners and non-owners when it comes to happiness, the survey shows. The two groups are statistically indistinguishable on the likelihood of identifying as “very happy” (a little over 30 percent) or “not too happy” (in the mid-teens).

I But when you break the data down by pet type — cats, dogs or both — a stunning divide emerges: Dog owners are about twice as likely as cat owners to say they’re very happy, with people owning both falling somewhere in between.  Dog people, in other words, are slightly happier than those without any pets. Those in the cat camp, on the other hand, are significantly less happy than the pet-less.

It is hard to be super angry when Stupid happy Thanos is just as happy as can be for no reason other than Im home every day. The dog is 55 pounds of muscle and energy and is afraid to go on the deck because he saw a bumble bee. How can that not make you atleast a little happy lol

Cats on the other hand eat babies souls in their sleep. And poop in your house sandbox that I have to assume is for house sandcastles. 

I wish it was socially acceptable for me to walk over to my neighbor's house, drop trou, and take a dump in their front yard. 

Somehow it's ok for humans to walk a dog over to someone's house and let them **** there. 

I'm just looking for equitable standing. 

18 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You better reread what was posted if you came away with that. (Don't even have to read the link).

Doh!  I only looked at the first graph and not the second.

I love pets and grew up with them until I was out of the house for good at 26, but I have absolutely no desire to have my own now because i know how much work goes into them and how dirty they are.  

The only pets I'll ever own is a tropical aquarium at some point if I want to do that, but I know that also requires a lot of work.

5 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I wish it was socially acceptable for me to walk over to my neighbor's house, drop trou, and take a dump in their front yard. 

Somehow it's ok for humans to walk a dog over to someone's house and let them **** there. 

That ****s not ok for dogs though. Thats why its common practice to bag it and ship it to your supervisor. 

Well there have been studies that showed same overall trends in personality traits between cat owners and dog owners. The overall personality profiles of cat owners could itself lend itself to being less likely to say they're "very happy".

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201002/personality-differences-between-dog-and-cat-owners

Small kids and dogs, when together, are happiness given mortal bodies and set loose upon the world.  Walk into a house with small children and dogs, just wade right into that chaotic frenzied excitement, and your soul will recognize the substance of life whirling about you.  Feel the primal joy pouring out of the little two and four legged beings that are still able to tap into the magic found in simply existing in the present, with no concern for what must follow or what came before.  It’s beautiful.

Sadly, the universe can not stand such unchecked joy and so it provides a balance.  Specifically, cats and teenagers.  

40 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I would have preferred if it were acceptable to sniff hot women'$ crotches and hump their legs, but if your fetish involves defecation, so be it.

My cat Mr. Pickles is ****ing persecuted by our four dogs. The ancient struggle is real. But occasionally he waits in shadow and goes full Ray Lewis on a passing hound. No helmet to helmet, clean hit.

I wonder how many people that have a cat live a lifestyle that having a dog wouldn't work.  I'm too all over the place to make sure a dog gets walked regularly.

This reminds me of that study that horse owners live longer.  No silly its not because they have a horse, it's because they are rich and likely have access to better healthcare then most of us.

Archived