Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things "AOC" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez & the Squad.

88Comrade2000

Just now, Larry said:

But what I thought you were saying was that they were being denied the ability to apply for asylum at all. 

They are when they get to America, which reverses the 40 some odd years of policy we had in place and violates international law.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/trump-administration-illegally-forcing-asylum-seekers-out-united-states

26 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But please, do continue to argue over what a concentration camp is. It helps the people who are responsible for this continue to get away with it.

Edit..not too surprising to learn that these camps are for profit. 🙄

a wall would have certainly helped prevent some of this... but despite the bad conditions, they keep comming.  

Maybe it's the America many Americans are/were naive enough to think never exumisted, or was not possible.

Thank you for reporting. Cant imagine how worse this would be (and how less people would care) if it was even further out of sight and out of mind then it already is for many people.

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The last page of this thread was sort of the point I was making.  Whether or not AOC using the term "Concentration Camp" was right or accurate or off base, has become THE STORY.   That is why sometimes the word you use are important even if you aren't necessarily wrong about it. 

Kind of like the nfl kneeling story

the discussion became whether it’s disrespectful, not “hey we have this problem...” 

(not everyone views it that way but some of us do)

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

When you can't defend your side's actions pretend it's normal. Takes less courage than holding your side accountable, I suppose.

So it is true.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

What the hell kind of false parallel is that? Shame on you.

Afraid to admit the obvious??

Maybe another Galapagos trip  with environmental notes will soothe your consciousness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twa said:

How many Americans are living in similar or worse conditions ?

I didn't grow up in a sheltered environment.  I'm sure of that .

And my parents have taken on other kids that did not start in a sheltered environment.

And I've never heard of 7 or 8 year olds being forced to take care of infants that they just met.

And if you have evidence that's a regular occurring thing in the US, please, post it.

Otherwise, just go away.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 7

A question for the folks complaining about the conditions:  

What do you propose doing about it?  

not "what kind of protest do you intend to do?"  "If you were in change, how would you fix it?"  

I'm certainly assuming that the problem is that they're running at maybe 400% of capacity.  

Do we double the detention budget?  (And start building a ***load of new detention centers?)  

8 hours ago, Larry said:

not "what kind of protest do you intend to do?"  "If you were in change, how would you fix it?"  

I'm certainly assuming that the problem is that they're running at maybe 400% of capacity.  

Do we double the detention budget?  (And start building a ***load of new detention centers?)  

Build a new "Ellis Island" in El Paso.  If people want to come here that bad, let's get back to what we used to do and let them do that in a legal, efficient manner with the resources neccesary to pull it off.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Larry said:

No, we do something about the things that are making them come here in the first place (jobs here vs. at home).

Refocus on ICE to going after employers.  Don't even worry about processing the employees.

And I mean repeated raids of the same businesses in short periods of times.  Not, we raid and then maybe come back a few years later.  I mean we raid and then show up again a month later with another set of fines to go on top of the first.  During the Obama administration there were cases where they raided a place and then raided them about a year later and they were employing many of the same illegal people.

Dry up the jobs.

I'd also probably lobby Congress for more strict penalties against employers, especially (large (say people found with 10 or more illegal employees)) repeat offenders. 

Based on the Great Recession, I suspect if you can dry up the jobs conditions at these place will improve relatively quickly (6 months).

(I'll also point out that this will have a large affect on agriculture, rural land prices, and shift US farming even more to corporate farming (can afford up front costs of equipment that only pays out over the years) so you'd also have to be prepared to deal with that.)

Longer term, we need a government that is going to work with countries in Central and South America so that their governments and economy are more stable.  Realistically, this probably means broadening NAFTA (or whatever Trump is calling it now), but with clear and large penalties for cases of corruption by US and multinational companies and a real investigative force to investigate such corruption.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Build a new "Ellis Island" in El Paso.  If people want to come here that bad, let's get back to what we used to do and let them do that in a legal, efficient manner with the resources neccesary to pull it off.

Just pointing out, Ellis Island was for people we were letting into the country. You intend to eliminate the problem of detention by just letting everybody in?  Or am I misreading you?

(And I'm not even saying letting everybody in is a terrible idea. Just wanting to make sure I'm reading correctly, first.)

Peter, not sure I disagree with any of those. (Although I suspect that "improving Central America is probably easier said than done.)

Edited by Larry

30 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out, Ellis Island was for people we were letting into the country. You intend to eliminate the problem of detention by just letting everybody in?  Or am I misreading you?

(And I'm not even saying letting everybody in is a terrible idea. Just wanting to make sure I'm reading correctly, first.)

Peter, not sure I disagree with any of those. (Although I suspect that "improving Central America is probably easier said than done.)

You are reading that correctly.

• Thanks 1