Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things "AOC" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez & the Squad.

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The targeting by right-wing media is likely strategic. Poison the well on them before they ever get a chance to start their career

Correct. And that’s what’s frustrating. 

it’s quite obvious the move here is to push nonsense about a person before they’ve even had the opportunity to try to do what they’re accused of doing

and tons of people buy it. It’s so disappointing that a group of people could be so obviously deceitful, and a significant portion of the country believes it. 

we’re supposed to debate taxes? Any scientific issue (climate change)? Economics? The nuances of race, education, socioeconomic status, the history of our country and what it means about where we want to go?

with these people?

they can’t tell when an obvious clown is clowning them. They fall head over heals for an incompetent carnival barker. 

they’re not mentally capable of having those other discussions. At all.  

I might at well spend the rest of the week trying to teach my 5 year old algebra. He at least had a foundation in basic addition and subtraction to work with. I’d have much better luck with him than trying to talk to these people about anything. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The targeting by right-wing media is likely strategic. Poison the well on them before they ever get a chance to start their career started so by the time they are up for re-election it doesn't even matter what they have actually accomplished or what their actual policies are, half the country will have been already told what they represent and want for America and that will be as far as people look.   

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

Correct. And that’s what’s frustrating. 

it’s quite obvious the move here is to push nonsense about a person before they’ve even had the opportunity to try to do what they’re accused of doing

and tons of people buy it. It’s so disappointing that a group of people could be so obviously deceitful, and a significant portion of the country believes it. 

A couple of points from  the article I posted  in the GOP thread:

7) Partisanship causes Republicans to justify anti-democratic behavior

Screen_Shot_2021_02_24_at_11.48.23_AM.pn

This chart is a little hard to parse, but it illustrates a crucial finding from one of the best recent papers on anti-democratic sentiment in America: how decades of rising partisanship made an anti-democratic GOP possible.

The paper, from Yale’s Matthew Graham and Milan Svolik, uses a number of methods to examine the effect of partisanship on views of democracy. This chart shows a particularly interesting one: a “natural experiment” in Montana’s 2017 at-large House campaign, during which Republican candidate Greg Gianforte assaulted reporter Ben Jacobs during an attempted interview just before Election Day.

Because many voters cast their ballots by mail before the assault happened, Graham and Svolik could compare these to the in-person votes after the assault in order to measure how the news of Gianforte’s attack shifted voters’ behavior.

The blue lines represent precincts where Gianforte did worse on Election Day than in mail-in ballots; the red lines represent the reverse. What you see is a clear trend: In Democratic-leaning and centrist precincts, Gianforte suffered a penalty. But in general, the more right-leaning a precinct was, the less likely he was to suffer — and the more likely he was to improve on his mail-in numbers.

For Svolik and Graham, this illustrates a broader point: Extreme partisanship creates the conditions for democratic decline. If you really care about your side wielding power, you’re more willing to overlook misbehavior in their attempts to win it. They find evidence that this could apply to partisans of either major party — but only one party nominates candidates like Trump and Gianforte (who won not only the 2017 contest but also his reelection bid in 2018 and Montana’s gubernatorial election in 2020).

8 ) The crucial impact of the right-wing media

Screen_Shot_2021_02_24_at_9.37.15_AM.png

The chart here is from a study covering 1997 to 2002, when Fox News was still being rolled out across the country. The study compared members of Congress in districts where Fox News was available to members in districts where it wasn’t, specifically examining how frequently they voted along party lines.

They found that Republicans in districts with Fox grew considerably more likely to vote with the party as it got closer to election time, whereas Republicans without Fox actually grew less likely to do so. The expansion of Fox News, in short, seemingly served a disciplining function: making Republican members of Congress more afraid of the consequences of breaking with the party come election time and thus less inclined to engage in bipartisan legislative efforts.

“Members with Fox News in their district behave as if they believe that more Republicans will turn out at the polls by increasing their support for the Republican Party,” the authors conclude.

Edited by China

Yes.  In short, Fox News was QAnon before QAnon was QAnon.  They radicalized my parent's generation in a bad way.  Luckily my parents specifically never fell victim to that con, but some of my extended family.....ugh.

Now you contrast AOC, with a young "star" on the right such as that Madison Hawthorne (sp?) guy, a wealthy elitist that had his way paved for him pretty much from birth, but still managed to screw up opportunity after opportunity along the way, yet it doesn't matter to the conservative voters because he looks the part, says all the right things, etc etc......

That is what really gets me about the right-wing vitriol against AOC and other "Squad" members.   There are plenty of people who might disagree with her policy solutions and ideas, but on a basic human being level they likely have a hell of a lot more in common with her and her journey to where she is at now, than most of the people they vote for.  It saddens me that so many poor/working class/middle class voters (*cough* white) continue to vote for people who obviously have no legitimate connection to their base other than the votes themselves.  I feel like the country would be far better off if the GOP actually had elected officials that were trying to come up with policies for the working class that were different than AOC's or Biden's or anyone on the left, but at the same time not the same ol' trickle down garbage.  

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Trickle down and voter suppression is all the current Republican Party has. They only want to get elected for the prestige of power, they can't govern because they actually don't care about providing services to We the People as outlined by the preamble to the Constitution or even law and order that they continue to talk about but ignore when convenient.

• Like 2

@China

Yeah I read through that article when you posted it. 

I found the graphs informing. The write up was quite slanted (not that it isn’t deserved but, as usual, I stop reading once I see that). But I found the graphs informative. 

I didn’t like the graphical manipulations. I don’t like a chart showing one group is at 30% and another is at 17% but the graph looks like the 30% is actually more at 80% because of the way they displayed it 

or how on one chart they omitted the 50% line, because in reality a lot of them were hovering around 50%, and opted for 40% and 60% which sort of created and illusion one side was closer to 40% while the other was closer to 60% therefore one is worse than the other (when in reality when I tried to scrutinize it more by putting 50% in there they appeared more or less very close...)

so I hate that kind of bull**** but I think overall the data supported the gist of their argument. 

• Like 1

Here are the two examples I listed. Look. I realize it may seem nit picky. But I’ve worked with data and representations a lot in life. And this kinda thing is a no-no. Combined with reading the words and understanding the political context were in, even if no harm was meant a diligent person (or editor....) sees this and says NO if only because it may appear to be a manipulated representation...

this is Fox News level graphical manipulation (the crap they do and the frequency they do it is just astounding. They’re a perfect case study in quality information manipulation down to the colors they choose to show things... it’s nuts...)

804E8673-BE93-4832-AEC1-622F7D24DFAE.thumb.jpeg.b601317e9eb1ec1204237a2fdfbc6a68.jpeg

46109237-CAB4-4220-9E44-09C15EC63504.thumb.jpeg.85e0b21491a4960ca03314d94744db49.jpeg

• Like 2

Given her salary now and being without kids, she should be about done with student debt. Her book deal will be huge whenever she wants it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...