Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things "AOC" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez & the Squad.

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You’re a lazy debater. 

I admitted to being fat and lazy a bit ago. 

But what is there to debate? You admit she does good. You admit she is reaching a younger audience with her tactics so obviously you see the point of it. Your only real argument is that she does it for attention - which is ultimately something neither of us can prove as a fact. So there is no debate here. I just think your opinion is easily dismissed as silly. 

And so im doing that by agreeing with you that her twitter arguments are so impossible for me to avoid on such a regular basis, that I bet she would eat a ****ing baby is my final answer lol. And because I know im not alone in thinking she would eat a baby (wwg1wwa brother) I feel completely justified and thus YOU are the problem here. Well not you, but you get it. Im lazy forgive me. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

There’s never a good time for unpopular opinion

Ikr? Who would think eating babies would be such a touchy subject. 

Personally I prefer my baby medium rare n with a dash of Texas Pete. Maybe with a lil adrenochrome on the side for dippin.

• Haha 3

Fair. From here on out, I’ll keep my opinion to myself then or fear the schoolyard mob rule mentality. I just think her youth, lack of experience and indifference to diplomacy not to mention her love of the spotlight is dangerous. I assume she’ll adapt but for every AOC there’s a Hawley or Boebert, further helping create that divide through personal attacks and partisanship. Was the baby thing hyperbolic? Sure. No doubt. How many ran with that from a literal standpoint showed me enough.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How many ran with that from a literal standpoint showed me enough.

You literally said AOC would literally eat a baby for attention. Literally. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
10 minutes ago, clietas said:

You literally said AOC would literally eat a baby for attention. Literally. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Help-Im-Stuck.jpg.5473680b2463c96ebcbf5ae126ccaf56.jpg

Make sure you poke it with a tooth pick and it comes out clean before taking it out of the oven.  That's how you know its done

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Lean far enough left and you become indistinguishable from the far-right.

I lean enough left I'm gonna fall on my azz

Too old for that action

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How many ran with that from a literal standpoint showed me enough.

You used the word "literally"...you realize that, right?

I’ll keep my opinion to myself then or fear the schoolyard mob rule mentality.

So in other words, you didn't find anything valid in our responses, you just chalked it all up to us being AOC fanboys and having a schoolyard mob rule mentality. Good to know.

• Like 1

"Fine ill keep my opinion to myself" 

*Immediately follows up with my opinion*

"How dare you take me literally!" 

That's you. That's what you are doing. And you legit think we are the problem here lol 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Fair. From here on out, I’ll keep my opinion to myself then or fear the schoolyard mob rule mentality. I just think her youth, lack of experience and indifference to diplomacy not to mention her love of the spotlight is dangerous. I assume she’ll adapt but for every AOC there’s a Hawley or Boebert, further helping create that divide through personal attacks and partisanship. Was the baby thing hyperbolic? Sure. No doubt. How many ran with that from a literal standpoint showed me enough.

I appreciate your point of view, and I understand your point regarding her rocket to fame, though I disagree with it.  Your analogy, hyperbolic as it was, suggested that she will do anything to seek out the spotlight for the sake of the notoriety.  I think there's a fallacy in that argument.  I don't see AOC as seeking out the spotlight so much as refusing to shy away from it, if that makes sense.  And as I posted before, to me it seems she uses the attention as a means to the ends she believes in.   Maybe if you said she would literally rescue a baby for attention, I would agree with you.

She is serving a role for the Democratic Party as a lightning rod for criticism as she stakes out and advocates for the left wing of the Party, running interference for the more moderate members. She's a Twitter brawler but she backs it up by being prepared and by representing her constituents well - as well as her generational cohort. 

An interesting contrast to me was Al Franken - who, with his background could have captured that spotlight but instead made a concerted effort to muzzle his comedy and his celebrity status and take on the grunt work of representing his constituency as a traditional senator.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

This is a very different discussion than what I responded to.  Most politicians now are very indifferent to diplomacy simply because their districts are so red or blue that they are "safe" and the political party system we have gives no options besides "red or blue"   Think about a world where you can only support the North Pole or South Pole (I have no other way to describe it) and everyone in between has to go one way or the other. 

I believe that a group of well funded "hard center" candidates who stand firmly for open democracy, transparency, and against gridlock-for-gridlocks sake and are ideologically diverse would be a fantastic thing.  Sadly, any time people with money who I think could accomplish this (like Cuban, Bloomberg -- I space one a more right leaning example... Michael Jordan?) . I am talking about 10 Senators or 40 Reps.  It would take a lot of action for people to trust this group, but in my mind they would actually govern from a less partisan place.  IT WOULD BE SUCH A GOOD THING!!!

I don't feel so visceray negative about her... or feel intrusive about her style.  She seems like a prototype of an effective communicator to me and is in the toughspot of representing all that is evil from her opposition.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

You guys are making me hungry.

giphy.webp

How do you get a dead babies into a bucket?  A blender.

How do you get them out again?  Doritos.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, China said:

How do you get a dead babies into a bucket?  A blender.

How do you get them out again?  Doritos.

Most people: "awww....how cute"

tummy_tub.jpg.d1d68eddc073a5e220c28c63cc1ad40a.jpg

@China : "I'ma need another bag of chips"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You're off on two different paths.  The baby comment would indicate that you think AOC does all these things online, but often or at least sometimes because she thinks it will garner her attention, not because she actually believes in those things.  I don't know that you'll find many agree with that assessment.  Whatever qualms one may have with AOC, insincere belief doesn't seem to be a common refrain.

The youth, lack of experience, indifference to diplomacy, love of spotlight, even if all true doesn't mean that the positions that she's taking online are insincere or fake.  You might levy those criticisms to say why she's behaving inappropriately as an elected official (again, many will disagree with you, though I would imagine you'd find more allies in that discussion than the insincere belief charge), but that's a different criticism altogether.

You're blaming those who disagree with you as being part of some mob mentality for the fact that they share the view that your initial statement regarding AOC's insincerity as flat out wrong (no, not the baby eating part.  The insinuation that this is all for show).  Yet, you never engaged in any discussion to expound on your position or explain why you disagreed.  Though you blame mob mentality, try examining the quality of your discourse. 

Reading through your comments the next few pages after the baby comment, I understood your dislike for her as more of a stylistic one and one that doesn't fit your view of proper behavior from a politician, but you told me I'm way off base and totally misunderstood your point.  Yet when I asked for clarification, none was forthcoming.  What exactly did you expect from a discussion where you snidely tell everyone they are marching lock step in group think yet you never bother to explain your thoughts and reasoning?

For the record, if you look at the thread as a whole, posters here are not some groupies for AOC.  I, myself, took part in discussions where I acknowledged her talent as a politician, but criticized her comments or positions.  It may be easier to cast off the lot of us as brainwashed liberal hacks, but that's an unfair and lazy analysis.

• Like 5

Even if she's doing the Texas fundraising stuff for charity, she's still...raising millions of dollars for people who need it.

EVEN IF she pockets like half of that(which is garbage but probably something a MAGA would argue), that's still a couple milli at least for the people of Texas, more than Cruz or any other Repub managed to do.

She could be the absolute worst anyone assumes, and still she's done more good for the people of Texas than their own elected officials.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s the fear right wing culture breeds for itself

yeah she’s “dangerous” because she rocketed to fame

and you’re right dude, she’s definitely on the level of Boebert. Because suggesting we invest in dealing with climate change is the same as running a campaign on bringing a gun onto federal property and daring the government to do something about it. 

and this is a microcosm of where we are 

I may not be for AOC’s policies, but I can at least respect her for her obvious intelligence, the way she handled herself in the impeachment hearings, her ability to be popular amongst a group politically. 

what is it the “other side” brings to the table? Culture war bull****. 

dangerous

yeah man, AOC is dangerous. 

This is just textbook conservative opinion. Takes years of GOP and right wing media identifying someone, then targeting them over the year, to ingrain this mentality with their followers. But the payoff is once they get their followers there, there’s no amount of debating or evidence providing that can change it. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, tshile said:

This is just textbook conservative opinion. Takes years of GOP and right wing media identifying someone, then targeting them over the year, to ingrain this mentality with their followers. But the payoff is once they get their followers there, there’s no amount of debating or evidence providing that can change it. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

The funny thing is, AOC and the entire squad for that matter have really had their visibility enhanced and elevated by.........right-wing media.  Sort of the same way CNN helped give Trump all the free air time he could have ever asked for during the 2016 campaign.   Right-wing media carved out plenty of programming to go after the "young, brown-skinned, new kids on the block" from darn near the day they were elected.  Without those outlets "warning America" that they were here to turn America into Venezuela there is a good chance most people would barely know who they were outside of the districts they represent.   You don't have to agree with her politics but I wouldn't call her the left version of a Stefanik or the I love guns gal....Bohnert is it?  

The targeting by right-wing media is likely strategic. Poison the well on them before they ever get a chance to start their career started so by the time they are up for re-election it doesn't even matter what they have actually accomplished or what their actual policies are, half the country will have been already told what they represent and want for America and that will be as far as people look.   Hell, a good buddy of mine who is a left of center (but more towards the center than myself) says he doesn't like AOC, but when I press him on way he has a tough time coming up with any actual reasons.  It feels like Hillary Clinton all over again, except Hillary did have legitimate baggage, just not the baggae the right-wing media was peddling. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1