Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

On 6/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

My previous company, as well as the company that bought it out last year (CACI) are both on that list.  My new company isn't on there (yet) but I'm pretty sure it will be.  It was in some Baltimore top companies and is smaller than both of the ones mentioned.  I left though because they sold out and CACI bought em after they said they would never sell.

• 3 weeks later...

BEAR-LY BELIEVE IT Incredible moment wild black bear casually joins family for picnic of peanut butter sandwiches in Maryland

The surreal scene, uploaded to TikTok by Kaitlyn Nesbit, sees five people sitting around a table in Maryland before a black bear settles down and is fed a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich.

NINTCHDBPICT000601473505.jpg?w=620

It gobbles down the food straight out of the palm from the brave man who presents it, as the rest of the group remains seemingly unbothered by their guest.

Nesbitt, a 29-year-old bridal store manager, says she captured the moment on Thursday in Deep Creek where her family are staying in a cabin.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Arrest Made in Aggressive Cyclist Case

Arlington County police have arrested a man they say is the cyclist behind a series of “trail rage” incidents on local trails.

On Friday, ACPD issued a community warning about a middle-aged man who had aggressively cursed at, mooned and in some cases struck pedestrians, in at least five separate incidents along trails in Arlington. Police say they received “numerous tips” over the weekend, which led them to identify a suspect.

“On the evening of Sunday, September 6, police executed a search warrant at the suspect’s residence and took him into custody without incident,” police said in a press release today. “David Marlowe, 55, of Arlington, VA, was arrested and charged with Robbery, Assault and Battery (x3), Indecent Exposure (x5) and Felony Possession with the Intent to Distribute Marijuana. He is being held in the Arlington County Detention Facility on no bond.”

Screen-Shot-2020-09-04-at-3.46.25-PM-1-6

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

Not sure if this would be the right thread or that this would be an acceptable discussion (by all means let me know and I’ll edit accordingly) BUT I’ve found myself in a position of needing to utilize a DC dispensary/delivery service provider. 

Does anyone have experience using one of these services that can provide some guidance/wisdom?  The way this is setup is different than Colorado’s storefront environment.

15 hours ago, China said:

We use the W&OD Trail a lot, but out west. It has become significantly more crowded since COVID shut down other things to do and ways to get exercise.

i can imagine closer to DC it was often packed with walkers, joggers and the spandex brigade, some of whom think they are competing in the Tour de France.

i guess ‘Share the trail’ got to be just to much for him.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:14 PM, Springfield said:

I, for sure, thought it was a video from Russia. Nope. Rural, back assward, Maryland.

Although a fair portion of Deep Creek is ‘second home on the lake’ for wealthy NoVA folks.

17 hours ago, China said:

Arlington County police have arrested a man they say is the cyclist behind a series of “trail rage” incidents on local trails.

On Friday, ACPD issued a community warning about a middle-aged man who had aggressively cursed at, mooned and in some cases struck pedestrians, in at least five separate incidents along trails in Arlington. Police say they received “numerous tips” over the weekend, which led them to identify a suspect.

“On the evening of Sunday, September 6, police executed a search warrant at the suspect’s residence and took him into custody without incident,” police said in a press release today. “David Marlowe, 55, of Arlington, VA, was arrested and charged with Robbery, Assault and Battery (x3), Indecent Exposure (x5) and Felony Possession with the Intent to Distribute Marijuana. He is being held in the Arlington County Detention Facility on no bond.”

<pic>

Mickey Rourke has lost some weight....  

Apparently some teen girls missed their Uber ride so decided to steal a golf cart and ride it down Rte. 50.

Bonnets and Clyde: Teens in head-wraps drive down highway in stolen golf cart after missing $35 Lyft ride

A viral video shows a golf cart cruising down Route 50 in Maryland after the passengers claim to have missed their $35 Lyft ride from Bowie to D.C., video shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Wild Wing-gate | Most DC Thing

WASHINGTON — Today’s Most D.C. thing comes to us from POPville which posted a tweet that simply said “Sir” in front of a picture of a rowhouse with a sign out front that reads "This is not a Buffalo Wild Wings."

The person who lives at this address and posted the sign ended up responding to the Tweet. He added some clarity to the sign, saying “I have the same address as Buffalo Wild Wings except I’m Southwest and they are Southeast. We were getting a minimum of 10 doorbell rings a night from delivery drivers despite the fact that my house is obviously not a Buffalo Wild Wings.”

Click on the link for the full story

• Haha 3
33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Cancelled due to weather.

You can watch the 70th anniversary:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?325808-1/world-war-ii-victory-europe-70th-anniversary-flyover

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I know it was postponed yesterday to today.  Was it cancelled?

Yes. Weather is worse today. They have  FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ww2flyover

And FFS - did you see the photo in the Washingtonian article of "a previous flyover". The Washingtonian should stick to articles on what they know such as  Best Divorce Lawyers or Best Plastic Surgeons rather than post modern aircraft in an article about a WW II Flyover.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Those aren’t right either, but I agree with your premise.  

The Washingtonian Magazine was an early introduction to 'DC Society.' Very soon after we arrived as poor immigrants I spotted the magazine in a supermarket checkout. I was thinking ... "cool, a local magazine that will be about parks and other places to take your kids, good places to eat etc." Instead the cover was a profile of a divorce lawyer and there were articles on 'best plastic surgeons', 'best prep schools for less than 30k per year (that your neighbors think are expensive)'  etc.

• Haha 2

‘Almost as round as it is long’: National Zoo’s panda cub is getting so plump

This baby bear is a square.

Washington, DC’s Smithsonian National Zoo welcomed a new panda cub on Aug. 21, and in its single month on Earth, the newborn has gained weight in such a way that its girth now almost perfectly matches its height.

The zoo’s assistant curator of giant pandas, Laurie Thompson, made the assessment in the zoo’s Giant Panda Bulletin on Friday, following the fluffy babe’s second veterinary exam. The checkup was done surreptitiously when the infant’s mom was distracted.

“When Mei Xiang left her den to grab a bite to eat this morning, we had another opportunity to conduct a brief exam on our 1-month-old giant panda cub. The newborn was quite sleepy when we retrieved it from the den and napped through much of the excitement,” Thompson wrote in the Friday update, headlined “#PandaStory: The Cub’s Growing Girth.”

Vets found that the cub weighed just under 3 pounds and measured 13.9 inches from nose to tail tip and 12.5 inches in circumference, leading Thompson to make the point that, “Our plump panda cub is almost as round as it is long!”

panda-cub-64.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DC Carjacker Steals, Returns Car With Baby Inside

A man stole a car with a baby inside in Northeast D.C. on Wednesday and then returned the vehicle and child minutes later, authorities say. A witness tells News4 she saw the carjacker park, look around and run. 

The car was stolen from Third and K streets NE just after 8 p.m., D.C. police said. It was returned a short time later.

Resident Stephanie Purifoy was home when she heard screaming and crying, she said Thursday morning. She went onto her balcony and heard a man telling workers at a nearby restaurant that his car had been stolen with his baby inside. 

A police car arrived within minutes and the man and a woman began talking with an officer, Purifoy said.

“Right as that happened, this silver car comes up on Third Street, parks on the corner and a man gets out of the car and sprints down the block,” she said. “He got out of the car, looked, saw the officer and bolted.” 

The man and woman ran to the car and took out the child, who looked no older than 2 years old and appeared to be OK, Purifoy said. 

D.C. man charged with animal cruelty after 33 Great Danes seized from home

A D.C. man was arrested after 33 Great Danes were seized at his home in Southeast Washington, authorities said Wednesday.

Michael Gibson was charged in D.C. Superior Court with four counts of cruelty to animals, officials said.

On Sept. 9, officials from the Humane Rescue Alliance, which handles animal control services for the District, seized 42 animals being housed in unsafe and unsanitary conditions, including 33 Great Danes, a Doberman, a Chihuahua mix and six rabbits, from Gibson’s home in the 2900 block of Branch Avenue SE, the organization said in a statement Wednesday.

Multiple Great Danes were housed in the same cage without access to food and water, the statement said, and the walls were covered with blood and feces, while the remains of several puppies were found in a minifridge. Officials also found evidence related to the sale of Great Danes, according to the statement.

The rescued animals are being cared for at an undisclosed location.

Virginia residents warned to stay away from hairy, venomous caterpillars

Officials in Virginia are warning residents to stay away from a poisonous creature that has been spotted in the state. The Virginia Department of Forestry's health team said this week they have received reports about what is known as the puss caterpillar, seen in eastern Virginia counties.

Officials warn the caterpillar may look cute and harmless. It is not.

image.jpeg.6786623a9c38e1aacaa3ac6c6e25f5fe.jpeg

”The 'hairs' of this caterpillar are actually venomous spines that cause a painful reaction if touched."