PleaseBlitz

Local (to the DMV) News and Events

The Washington Monument reopens. Here's what you need to know

The Washington Monument, one of D.C.'s most iconic landmarks, reopens to visitors on September 19 after several years of construction and repairs.

A tall, white obelisk named for the United States' first President, the monument is one of the most dramatic features of the Washington skyline and one of the most popular attractions on the National Mall.

However, like so many historic sites, the 555-foot-tall monument has needed TLC over the years. In 2011, a 5.8-magnitude earthquake centered in Virginia damaged the obelisk, causing some 150 cracks in the structure.

After $15 million in repair work, the Washington Monument reopened, only to close again in 2016 after an elevator cable snapped. Fortunately, no one was inside the elevator at the time, but it meant that the monument needed an additional round of work.

According to the National Park Service (NPS), which maintains the site, the new renovations were about more than simply fixing up the elevator.

For example, a temporary screening building constructed in 2001 has been replaced with a permanent structure.

"The elevator control system was modernized and the ride is much smoother than it used to be," Hall says.

"They used to have a ranger in the elevator [with visitors], and it's now a fully automated system so no ranger is riding," Mike Litterst, chief of public affairs for the NPS, told CNN.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

**** every single one of these people.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/13/meet-the-folks-planning-to-ruin-your-commute-on-september-23/

Meet the Folks Planning to Ruin Your Commute on September 23

On Wednesday night, dozens of protesters choked off traffic on Florida Avenue between R and S streets. Chanting, “The earth is on fire! Put the fire out!” they ignored the blaring of car horns, the frustrated glares from neighborhood residents, and verbal threats from drivers along the lines of “****ing move or I’ll smack the **** out of you.”

After five minutes, the group returned to the Friends Meeting House to reflect on the experience and continue planning for a larger version of the protest.

The road-blocking exercise was a sliver of what the group, which operated under the name Shut Down DC, hopes to accomplish in DC on September 23. The activists, according to their press release, have vowed to “bring traffic and business as usual to a standstill” by “seizing key intersections” in the name of climate change awareness.

Shut Down says its blockades are being strategically placed to impact the most powerful in DC: the intersections chosen will all be near places of money or power; the group is staying out of the way of public transportation.

All the same, anyone who actually lives in DC knows that there’s no way to block traffic for just the coal-industry lobbyists and the Trump administration EPA appointees. Which brings up the question: How is infuriating people en route to visit spouses in the hospital—or merely trying to get to the office on time—going to help the cause?

In related news, I just started a Facebook group called "Bring a pile of rocks with you on September 23rd."

• Haha 1

There was a mass shooting last night in DC, Columbia Heights. Two men with AK-style rifles shot up an apartment courtyard and got away (still not caught yet). Probably not hearing about it because only one person died, even though 6 were shot. 

There was another shooting 30 minutes later on Rhode Island NE, where one person died and two were injured.

Police haven’t said if the two incidents are related. 

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/crime/9shotindc/65-13107082-5824-46b6-b6a6-51ada245aa0b

Edited by No Excuses
  • Sad 1

The ShutdownDC people are the worst. Currently protesting literally right outside where I live. Achieving absolutely nothing but angering people in a city where close to 95% already agree with a pro-environment agenda.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The ShutdownDC people are the worst. Currently protesting literally right outside where I live. Achieving absolutely nothing but angering people in a city where close to 95% already agree with a pro-environment agenda.

Yeah, this is dumb. Block people going to/from the White House or the Capitol. Leave everyone else alone!

Gotta love a 15 minute commute that ends up taking almost an hour because of delays.....dumbest **** ever. At least they're not creating a road block on 395

• Sad 1

Dumbest.  Protest.  Ever.

Let's protest climate change by causing thousands of cars to needlessly idle, and alienate 90% liberal DMV people just trying to get to work on a Monday morning.    

I agree with their agenda 100%, yet I also want a pack of hungry wolves to be unleashed upon them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

Take the metro? :ols:

I did that yesterday.  ONCE I am willing to just **** about on the internet.  ****ING TWICE IN ONE WEEK is now a full-blown declaration of war which must be met with a proportional response.  These ****ing people CANNOT be allowed to continue to believe that not only should they do this, but also that they CAN do this whenever they want.  I am going full goddamn antifa on these ****ing assholes.  

• Haha 1

According to Shut Down DC spokesperson Kaela Bamberger, the group decided in a meeting today to take action again at 7 a.m. this Friday morning. Representatives from each of Shut Down DC’s affinity groups were overjoyed with the success and attention today’s action garnered, and wanted to do something to honor the final day of the global climate strikes.

Get to the office at 6am.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I did that yesterday.  ONCE I am willing to just **** about on the internet.  ****ING TWICE IN ONE WEEK is now a full-blown declaration of war which must be met with a proportional response.  These ****ing people CANNOT be allowed to continue to believe that not only should they do this, but also that they CAN do this whenever they want.  I am going full goddamn antifa on these ****ing assholes.  

Dudes are gonna have the whole city taking public transit and I’m here for it. 

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

According to Shut Down DC spokesperson Kaela Bamberger

I am going to find out where this person lives and stand right outside her apartment door one day, so SHE can't get to work that day.  Then I'm going to do it again 4 days later.  

• Haha 1