Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden's Press Conference at NFL Owners Meeting

Reaper Skins

About an hour long.  Good stuff.  Interesting responses about:

- Colt's leg being "rushed back" @2:50,

- Haskins vs. Kyler and other QB hints and tells @ 9:00, 

- Wishing they could get clarification on Reuben Foster before free agency or the draft @ 13:10 (conspiracy alert! Kareem Hunt's suspension was resolved over a week ago)

- Downplaying being "left out on Collins" @ 14:45. 

- Thoughts on receivers @ 19:00

- Talking up Samaje Perine @ 22:30?!?!

- "We had to have the most second and 10+ downs in the history of the NFL, someone look it up" @ 25:00 (bs holding calls galore :nono:)

- Liked playing close, conservative, defensive football style @ 29:00

- Josh Norman and the saints game, and "superstar expectations for the secondary to justify their pricetags" @ 33:00

- Alex Smith always welcome back, but no one knows what he's going through except him @ 41:10

- QB competition between Colt and Case @ 46:13.  Have to earn starting job with the ones.

- DRC expected to be starting, getting himself on the field @ 49:00

- "we can't let past injuries determine how were gonna coach our guys or what we expect of them.  we expect them to be healthy" @ 51:03

- Injuries, bad luck, never having a "healthy offense with your ones", "Jordan's gonna be just fine"@ 52:00

- Replay rule proposal, we had some bad calls that changed our season @ 58:20

Thank you for the breakdown!  The timestamps are super helpful.  It wouldn't livestream for me when it was allegedly, well, live.

I'm pretty impressed with his honesty about Norman specifically not playing to where he needed to.  For those who haven't watched, the context is he was asked about Norman and his performance, it wasn't in any way a blame-pinning.  In fact, he was coming to his defense without being dishonest.

"Liked playing close, conservative, defensive football style"

This would be an immediate disqualifier to me if I were interviewing coaching candidates. This is not a formula for long term (or even usually short term) success in this era of professional football. Teams that actually care about analytics must die laughing listening to old school coaches talk like this. You pass to score and build a lead, and run to kill the clock in 2019. Giving up yardage doesn't matter, points do. And guess what, statistics show that play-action passing still works equally effectively no matter how little or how poorly you run the ball. Defenses will always bite, which means you don't even need to throw that part of your playbook out if you're pass first. As every team should be. 

You just need to be aggressive and innovative. Gruden is neither, while being totally blind to his own failures in playcalling when he complains about having the most 2nd-and-10's in the league. Ummm. Don't you think there's a reason for that Jay? You ****. 

It's ironic Jay got here with a rep for throwing the ball too much and giving up on the run. Ahh no, those aren't the reasons he's a poor playcaller. And they aren't even necessarily true. He just passes and runs at the wrong times, within a boring offense that isn't helped by having poor talent at most of the skill positions. Including QB, of course. And you could argue that Gruden prefers this style specifically because he's actually smart and does it to cover for a poor QB. I would disagree and argue that specifically targeting Alex Smith to build around and go to war with shows that is his preferred style regardless. It's actually how he thinks you can win a championship in 2019. That's pathetic. 

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Not a walking dead fan I take.

I'm a parent of two toddlers.  I *AM* the walking dead.

And nah, I'm three seasons behind every show I follow, and I couldn't really get into TWD.

Thank you, however, for letting me know what was up.  Sometimes TK and Jumbo talk and it's like when two people don't want you to understand what they're saying so they speak in a foreign language.

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Sometimes TK and Jumbo talk and it's like when two people don't want you to understand what they're saying so they speak in a foreign language.

@Jumbo Chearzeck earzout thearzis chearzumpstearzain thearzinkearzing hearze's earzontearzo searzomearzethearzing :ols: 

6 hours ago, Jumbo said:

should i take him to go look at the flowers?

You meant Ereck Flowers?

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Sometimes TK and Jumbo talk and it's like when two people don't want you to understand what they're saying so they speak in a foreign language. 

That's exactly how I feel everytime. Except they are really speaking a foreign language!

37 minutes ago, TK said:

@Jumbo Chearzeck earzout thearzis chearzumpstearzain thearzinkearzing hearze's earzontearzo searzomearzethearzing :ols: 

tenor.gif?itemid=4970228

18 hours ago, TK said:

I swear to god as soon as I figure out what you said I am finding a lawyer to sue for libel.

Unless it was a nice thing.

In which case, thank you, I'm quite proud of it myself.

13 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Dearzo NOearzt cirearzcumearzvent tearzhe proearzfanearzity fiearzlterearzs. It'earzs iearzn thearze ruearzles.

Wearze earzexpearzerearziencearze earzour shearzarearze earzof pearzeoplearze whearzo dearzo nearzot earzundearzerstearzand thearze mearzeanearzing 
 earzof thearze Rearzulearzes, earzor hearzavearze chearzosearzen nearzot tearzo learzearn earzor fearzollearzow thearzem, earzand 
 searzomearzetearzimearzes chearzoosearze tearzo chearzallearzengearze earzor dearzebearzatearze thearze mearzodearzerearzatearzors earzon thearzeir 
 earzimplearzemearzentearzatearzion. earzanearzy searzuggearzestearzion thearzat thearze pearzeoplearze whearzo wrearzotearze thearze Rearzulearzes 
 earzand earzenfearzorcearze thearzem knearzow thearzem learzess thearzan yearzou cearzan rearzesearzult earzin earza tearzempearzorearzarearzy 
 bearzan. :) 

Decent interview. But I hate his philosophy about playing in 20-17 games. The object of the offense is to score ****ing points - not play the field position game. There's not even a ****ing stat for that ****, Jay!!!

IMO, if Jay doesn't feel like he needs to score, that's a ****ed up way to play football in this day and age. Its probably the reason the defense sputters mid-season. They are on the field to goddamn much!!! Its like he's admitting that some of his play calling is predicated on the fact that he believes the defense is going to bail his sorry ass offense out! Why not put pressure on opposing defenses so your so-called good defense can pin their ears back because there's offensive points on the board? You would think he'd learn from the Raider's game. This grind 'em out style is archaic as ****!

Oh well, I suppose this **** ain't going to change.

**** 'em

Archived