Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder values Norman's "star power and sizzle" despite coaches?

Hadn't seen this posted yet: https://thefandc.radio.com/some-in-redskins-organization-want-to-move-on-from-josh-norman

"...several members of the front office and coaching staff are aligned on the Norman issue. Redskins owner Dan Snyder, however, feels that Norman's star power and sizzle adds to his value to the organization."

There's no way anyone, even Snyder, thinks Norman has any level of star power and sizzle that you just can't part with, not with the stadium half-full week after week.

RG3 offered about 10 times more star power and sizzle than Norman ever has, and he let coaches demote him 2 seasons later, then replace him after that lol...

Norman is a very good corner. He simply hasn't been used in a way that allows him to be consistently as effective as he was in Carolina. We've done this before -- we've watched a player perform marvelously for another team, then we sign him, and when he gets to Ashburn, we ask him to do things that run counter (no pun intended) to what made him so effective (and desirable) in the first place. Reminds me a lot of the Jeremiah Trotter situation. We signed the dude and asked him to become a read-and-react LB, but that's not what made him such a great LB with those stinkin' Eagles. We've done the same with Norman.

The Danny should care about clearing cap space so we can sign some receivers and some offensive linemen who can block and avoid injuries.  The Danny prides himself on being a "genius" when it comes to marketing because that is how he paid for buying the Skins.  He has been getting it wrong since 2001 when he gave that famous quote to the Washington Post which is part of my signature below.

Have there been talks of restructuring his contract? 

I think we should cut him, but since it makes sense on many levels, I doubt the FO does it.  I don't understand the point of them writing contracts in this manner, if you're actually going to pay out years that were designed to give you outs. 

He's never played up to the expectations of the contract.  For all of this talk about how great we are at negotiating contracts, why is it that a deal Norman signed almost 3 years ago, still hasn't been matched?  

On 3/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, skinzplay said:

Norman is a very good corner. He simply hasn't been used in a way that allows him to be consistently as effective as he was in Carolina. We've done this before -- we've watched a player perform marvelously for another team, then we sign him, and when he gets to Ashburn, we ask him to do things that run counter (no pun intended) to what made him so effective (and desirable) in the first place. Reminds me a lot of the Jeremiah Trotter situation. We signed the dude and asked him to become a read-and-react LB, but that's not what made him such a great LB with those stinkin' Eagles. We've done the same with Norman.

I get what you're saying but see it somewhat differently....Norman has been asked to do a lot for sure but he's not produced up to expectations and I can't say the coaches are the reason why. There are very few shut down corners anymore due to the rules that favor WR's but Norman has declined each year he's been here. He has to take some of that blame....I don't think his focus is 100% where it should be and I'll bet the coaches agree with that if the reports are true about how most in the organization want him out.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Califan007 said:

There's no way anyone, even Snyder, thinks Norman has any level of star power and sizzle that you just can't part with, not with the stadium half-full week after week.

RG3 offered about 10 times more star power and sizzle than Norman ever has, and he let coaches demote him 2 seasons later, then replace him after that lol...

“Let the coaches” is a little strong. Poisoned the lockeroom with his favoritism until the HC quit and ultimately caved to the new GM way after the damage was done is more apt imo. 

10 hours ago, profusion said:

If Norman is what passes for "sizzle" around Ashburn these days, then things really are that bad...

This is what I was thinking. What sizzle?

I can't say this report is true or false, but Norman has made zero Pro Bowls with the Skins (one overall), plays a non-skill position, and hasn't really done anything that noteworthy. You can criticize that he's overpaid, though it's not my money and its not like the Skins lost Pro Bowlers they could have kept because of it. But if this is supposed to be about Norman's "star power", then someone is doing it wrong. Cause he really doesn't have it.

What has this team done from the time Snyder took over?

Nothing

The Redskins are a trash organization and team now because of that bum and Collins is just another Norman. You don't win Superbowls with over played players like Norman and Collins. Look at the Pats and why is it Snyder after this much time as owner can't figure it out. 

Or maybe he just doesn't care. He is a business man and makes money. Let's hope everyone that is tired of this product continues to stay home on Sunday and not make this man money. 

Players like Norman don't fool me. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:51 PM, Berggy9598 said:

“Let the coaches” is a little strong. Poisoned the lockeroom with his favoritism until the HC quit and ultimately caved to the new GM way after the damage was done is more apt imo. 

Shanahan benched Griffin the year after he won Offensive Rookie of the Year. Shanny's on record as saying while he didn't have to ask Snyder if he could bench Griffin, he still met with him to tell him his intentions because he felt that when you spend that much draft capital on a guy and he wins ROTY you owe it to the owner to let him know ahead of time if you're going to bench him...and that Snyder let him know he's the coach and doesn't want to stand in the way of his decisions.

Nothing I said discounts what you wrote about Shanahan's time here...and nothing you wrote about Shanahan's time hear discounts what I just said. But it does show that "let the coaches" is more accurate than you want to believe. And it does point to an owner who is less than obsessed with "star power and sizzle" dictating personnel moves than is being discussed here.

And Snyder didn't "cave" after the "damage" of him meddling was done...Griffin had his approval to return to practice and playing time rescinded after going through concussion protocol--and just as importantly, this happened after Griffin was obliterated in the previous pre-season game...and after injuring his ankle the previous year and missing half the season...and screwing up his ACL two seasons before that. He didn't officially pass concussion protocol for I think another three weeks. According to reports at the time, starting Cousins over RG3 was easily agreed upon by everyone--including Bruce Allen--but that a meeting with Snyder was necessary to get him on board. Two reports gave two different versions of what happened...one said a 2-hour meeting took place where Scot had to convince Snyder to let Kirk start (with another saying Scot and Bruce together had to convince Snyder), and one said the meeting was to inform (not convince) Snyder that Kirk would be starting and that the majority of the meeting was spent talking about Griffin's passing--then failing later that day--the concussion protocol that was keeping him from playing.

There was/is so much more going on than whatever gets passed down by "sources" and happens to validate people's hatred of Snyder. But RG3 was benched in three of the four seasons he was here under Snyder's watch, and by two different coaches with two different levels of power and control...and after winning ROTY and having the best-selling jersey his rookie season. Snyder could have stopped any of those benchings...well, at least if you believe the logic behind the belief that he forces coaches to cater to his roster whims based on 'star power and sizzle'.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:51 AM, Berggy9598 said:

Exactly. 

And before all this, he tried to dictate an entirely new scheme that went against Shanahan's wishes. 

“Once the owner and the quarterback decide that the type of offense that we were successful with in 2012, that they don’t want to run a lot of those plays, they want to throw more and run less, and you get a lot of people involved, it takes away from the coach,” Shanahan said.

And more:

According to TheUndefeated.com, Griffin called a meeting with Shanahan, his son and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur in February of 2013 and told them to let him speak without interruption. He then informed them that there were 19 plays in Washington’s offense that he would no longer run because he believed he needed to be treated like a pocket passer and not a running quarterback.

Shanahan said he could tell by the way Griffin was talking that he had previously gone over the issue with Snyder.

“When Robert is standing there going through all of that, I know it’s coming from Dan,” Shanahan said. “When Robert talked about ‘unacceptable,’ that was a word Dan used all the time. He was using phrases Dan used all the time. There’s only one way a guy who’s going into his second year would do something like this: If he sat down with the owner and the owner believed that this is the way he should be used. He had to have the full support of the owner and, in my opinion, the general manager to even have a conversation like that. He just had the best year for a rookie QB in the history of the game. You got selected to the Pro Bowl. We went to the playoffs.”

Shanahan says he immediately confronted Snyder, warning him that it was wrong to use him as a pawn.

“I said to Dan, ‘Do you realize what you’re doing to this kid?’” Shanahan said.

So yeah, he eventually "let" the coaches bench Griffin ... but only AFTER helping to force on them an offense they knew wouldn't be successful with this particular player without a LOT of work AND empowering said player to demand that style of offense AND .... (wait for it) ... finally seeing the utter failure of that offense on the field. 

But yeah, he "let" them bench him, lol. Supportive of the coaching staff all the way. Great communication throughout the entire process. The way it should be done by a professional organization, lol. 

I really don't know why people take thefandc.radio as a reputable unbiased media source. I just don't. I listen to them for the occasional breaking news, don't get me wrong. Hell there's only two stations in the area that talk about the Skins. But this station right here, is washingtonpost II. On the other hand, the other station is homer central. Somewhere in the middle is the truth - maybe one of the podcast gives a more truthful take. But thefan is absolute garbage when it comes to facts IMO. They blow **** why out of proportion when it comes to the Redskins (and Tiger Woods too I might add). 

**** 'em

On 3/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, skinzplay said:

Portis too. Home run hitting slasher who averaged over 5 ypc, and we signed him to 3 yards and a cloud of dust

Was a testament to his skill that he was still able to transform and play at a Pro Bowl level

Archived