Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

Visiting family in Baltimore so we went to the orioles game since my wife’s family are big fans. Camden Yards is just gorgeous. It’s a hell of a place to take in a baseball game. 

As for the game, 18 combined runs...I mean 16 of them were from Tampa Bay but hey lol. 

I was happy to point to the scoreboard showing the Yankees win.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Visiting family in Baltimore so we went to the orioles game since my wife’s family are big fans. Camden Yards is just gorgeous. 

That place is special. I feel like all the new ballparks tried to emulate it but they never quite got that vibe right.

It’s a church for sure.

38 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

That place is special. I feel like all the new ballparks tried to emulate it but they never quite got that vibe right.

It’s a church for sure.

I came in 2007 for a Yankees/Os game but must have entered in a different spot. Last night was the first time I saw the walkway, the monument area with the museum that leads into the outfield standing room area and all the section entrances. It was beautiful and was something really special. 

I can imagine how awesome it would have been a few years back when the Os were pretty good 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It’s a church for sure.

Used to be my favorite until visiting PNC in Pittsburgh. That's my fav right now. The steel beams. View of the city from the 3b line. 

3 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Used to be my favorite until visiting PNC in Pittsburgh. That's my fav right now. The steel beams. View of the city from the 3b line. 

San Fran & Pitt are tough to beat.

Has any player ever led a league in homers AND steals in a season? 

It’s still early, but right now Christian Yelich leads the NL in both categories with 34 homers (tied with Cody Bellinger) and 23 steals (2 more than Jarrod Dyson).

Edit: Looked it up.  It’s happened only once before in MLB history... Chuck Klein in 1932 for the Phillies with 38 home runs and (only) 20 steals.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Has any player ever led a league in homers AND steals in a season? 

It’s still early, but right now Christian Yelich leads the NL in both categories with 34 homers (tied with Cody Bellinger) and 23 steals (2 more than Jarrod Dyson).

Edit: Looked it up.  It’s happened only once before in MLB history... Chuck Klein in 1932 for the Phillies with 38 home runs and (only) 20 steals.

What's crazy about that is while Klein led the NL in those categories, the AL HR and steals leaders outdid him by a good bit. Jimmy Foxx then of the Philadelphia As hit 58 homers in 1932 and Ben Chapman of the Yankees had 38 steals that year.  

I did find where Ty Cobb led all of baseball in 1909 in homers and steals. 76 steals and a whopping 9 home runs.  The NL leaders that year were Red Murray of the Giants with 7 Hrs and Bob Bescher of the Reds with 54 steals. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

What's crazy about that is while Klein led the NL in those categories, the AL HR and steals leaders outdid him by a good bit. Jimmy Foxx then of the Philadelphia As hit 58 homers in 1932 and Ben Chapman of the Yankees had 38 steals that year.  

I did find where Ty Cobb led all of baseball in 1909 in homers and steals. 76 steals and a whopping 9 home runs.  The NL leaders that year were Red Murray of the Giants with 7 Hrs and Bob Bescher of the Reds with 54 steals. 

Thanks.  The article I found did not mention Ty Cobb.  I should have looked further.  In any case, I'm glad Yelich is no longer in the NL East to torment the Nats on a regular basis..

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Thanks.  The article I found did not mention Ty Cobb.  I should have looked further.  In any case, I'm glad Yelich is no longer in the NL East to torment the Nats on a regular basis..

I’m impressed you found an article. I was just going year by year for each category to see when the names matched. 

I’ve always been fascinated with baseball stats. I haven’t gotten into a lot of the fancy new stats, but the historical stats and seeing who did what and how impressive it was always fascinates me.

3 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

I’m impressed you found an article. I was just going year by year for each category to see when the names matched. 

I’ve always been fascinated with baseball stats. I haven’t gotten into a lot of the fancy new stats, but the historical stats and seeing who did what and how impressive it was always fascinates me.

I think the slide step, increased use of relief pitchers (who mainly pitch from the stretch), and smaller ballparks have relegated steals to a minor stat these days.

Probably little reason to steal 2nd or 3rd when a bloop and blast is more effective.

Edit..I'd also wonder if there is more LH pitching this era than any other. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think the slide step, increased use of relief pitchers (who mainly pitch from the stretch), and smaller ballparks have relegated steals to a minor stat these days.

Probably little reason to steal 2nd or 3rd when a bloop and blast is more effective.

Edit..I'd also wonder if there is more LH pitching this era than any other. 

I think all of those things are a factor. But the biggest I think is the shift in philosophy of hitting home runs at all costs. It’s not about getting on base, getting in scoring position, and manufacturing a run. It’s about the home run. The stolen base is just too much of a risk of taking away a run from the guy who is up at the plate to hit it out. 

I know the game changes over time. Teams figure out different ways to win that works for their team. But I think there is a huge opening in baseball for a team that just gets on base and scores runs. The Angels did that in the early 2000s during the steroid era. They beat the Giants doing that. The reason I say it will take a team is because it’s not sexy. So one guy doing it won’t make much of a difference. He certainly won’t be getting a big pay day to go do that on another team. But a team of guys that do that and can score when they want would be the counter to all the HR or K that is dominating the game now. I don’t think we will see it, but the opportunity is there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trading Puig and then 25 min later Puig going out like that is the most Reds thing ever. Seriously, their FO is as bad as the Skins.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Puig was traded mid-game, then he's banging heads in a fight to defend teammates who won't be his teammates by the end of the game. That's honor.

Cleveland probably not happy they're trading for a guy who will start his Indian stint with a suspension.

Please, we get the toddler who had a tantrum and threw the ball into the stands. Cincy-land is not happy this morning.