Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

On 3/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, TheDoyler23 said:

Trout already had two MVPs and deserved it several more times.

There is no comp for him.  

It's like MLB was looking for reasons to make sure he doesn't win it every year.

Now, if Rob Manfred could take a break from trashing the game every time he gets in front of a microphone and actually market the amazing talent in the game right now, this would blow up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Unlike Harper though this dude is worth every penny. Best player in baseball easily.

One could make the argument that Harper is fringe top 15-20 in MLB. He's posted sub-2 WAR in two of the past 3 years. If he wasn't the phenom since childhood and the one great season, he's getting a JD Martinez deal. 

13 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

One could make the argument that Harper is fringe top 15-20 in MLB. He's posted sub-2 WAR in two of the past 3 years. If he wasn't the phenom since childhood and the one great season, he's getting a JD Martinez deal. 

Speaking of Phenoms...

Soto+gif.gif

21 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Most of his value comes from the fact that he can generate walks but that's mostly reputation and that the Nats lineup around him has been very hit or miss(to put it nicely). Honestly if you just pitched him straight up his value plummets because he'd strike out a ton. He doesn't really have a great eye, Managers are just still really afraid of him.

50 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Has Manny Ramirez taken a paternity test yet? ;)

He looks so much like him. 

The kid JUST turned 20. The fangraphs article I posted in the Nats thread (https://blogs.fangraphs.com/juan-soto-is-extreme/) makes some great observations about Soto. He has a 146 WRC+ and was one of the worst hitters against breaking balls.

This is why giving Harper that much money was foolish for the Nats.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:29 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

Mike Trout gonna buy a planet. 

Still only like 1/40th of Bezos 🙂

On 3/19/2019 at 7:37 AM, ixcuincle said:

I just don't understand how baseball is the one dishing out these monster contracts. NHL and NFL and even the NBA contracts don't even come close. 12 years...430 MILLION dollars. Imagine a NFL contract like that. And you thought 6 years and 88m was a lot. 

NFL comes close on a year by year basis.  Trout is earning $36m per year.   Aaron Rodgers earns $33m per year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/09/20/the-nfls-highest-paid-players-2018-aaron-rodgers-leads-with-76-million/#cb50ec0117bd

With the NFL though, contracts almost never go beyond 6 years, because signing bonus money can only be spread out over 5 years.  Also players are much more likely to have career ending injuries.

• Like 2

I’m taking the Red Sox to repeat because I haven’t seen a compelling reason not to pick them to breeze to another WS. They’ll beat the Dodgers, again, though there are a few other teams from the NL I could see dethroning LA (Nats, Phillies, Braves being top contenders, presumably with trade deadline help).

So I guess the season is going to open with Keuchel and Kimbrel without jobs. It’s probably not a big deal for Kimbrel being a closer. But Keuchel may need a month to get ready and possibly a few starts after that to get everything working. So how does he figure someone will pay him top dollar for 3/4 of a season where he may never be right? Even if he signs a long term deal, this season could be a bust. I’m not sure this is a gamble he may win.

Adalberto Mondesi with an inside thr ballpark homerun. Then Fernando Tatis Jr. makes a sparkling play at short. Saw both live on split screen. Dude...I'm sort of loving the MLB package. DirecTV reeling me in! Plus I'm killing it on yahoo daily fantasy. 

Do you have any idea what I could do with that kind of money?

Seriously, any ideas? So far all I've got is piling it up, staring at it, and saying "lookit all dat money!!" to myself over and over again. That's the thing about rich people... they're not happy. Oh sure, they think they're happy. They feel happy all the time. But trust me, they ain't happy.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Do you have any idea what I could do with that kind of money?

Seriously, any ideas? So far all I've got is piling it up, staring at it, and saying "lookit all dat money!!" to myself over and over again. That's the thing about rich people... they're not happy. Oh sure, they think they're happy. They feel happy all the time. But trust me, they ain't happy.

Not sure what you are referring to but you are entirely correct about rich people being unhappy. Shoot I'm fairly rich and I'm not happy.

I wonder if Chris Davis is happy? He's rich as ****. Albert Pujols? Miguel Cabrera?