Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

MLB should take away their championship. That is really the only way to deter this kind of thing in the future.  I am probably biased as an A's fan, who saw their small market team scrap their asses off in 2018 and 2019 to fall just a little short in the AL West division race, but I had always assumed it was simply because the Astros are better, and I am still not going to necessarily divert from that opinion overall, but their cheating definitely won them enough games that that division easily could have been up for grabs going into Game 162 the past two seasons.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

MLB should take away their championship. That is really the only way to deter this kind of thing in the future.  I am probably biased as an A's fan, who saw their small market team scrap their asses off in 2018 and 2019 to fall just a little short in the AL West division race, but I had always assumed it was simply because the Astros are better, and I am still not going to necessarily divert from that opinion overall, but their cheating definitely won them enough games that that division easily could have been up for grabs going into Game 162 the past two seasons.

I agree.  I don't think there is any way they can let that Cship stand.  It will be completely unsatisfying, like, the Dodgers and their fans don't get to go back in time and celebrate on the field and have a parade and stuff, but the history books have to show no winner that year.  Interesting article that is somewhat on point:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-ncaa-title-vacated-trophies-banners-20180222-story.html

Now try telling that to athletes and coaches from the 12 Division I teams that have had their national championships vacated since 1971.

"In our minds, we still won it," said Melissa Luellen, a member of Tulsa's 1988 women's golf team, whose NCAA championship was later vacated.

Conceptually, a vacated title is a tough concept for the college sports world to accept. It's even harder when confronted with all the stuff championship teams have lying around to celebrate their victories: trophies, banners, hats, T-shirts, rings, "One Shining Moment" video tributes.

The NCAA now requires athletic departments to return trophies, take down banners, remove signs and strike language from letterhead that recognizes records or championships achieved during vacated games.

Louisville has already removed its 2012 Final Four banner and 2013 national championship banner from the KFC Yum! Center, a university spokesman said, but the school has no plans on how it will store them.

Michigan vacated its entire 1992-93 men's basketball season and every game played from 1995 through the spring of 1999. That includes a Big Ten Tournament title, two Final Four appearances and a National Invitation Tournament championship. The Wolverines' banners famously sit rolled up in storage on campus.

And how good are the Astros really?  It will be interesting to track Altuve's and Bregman's numbers this year.  I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of their home/road splits.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

53 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

And how good are the Astros really?  It will be interesting to track Altuve's and Bregman's numbers this year.  I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of their home/road splits.

They're good.  Lost in all of this is that Altuve is still a damn good hitter, won two batting titles before 2017 (and hit .376 on the road vs. .299 for one of those batting titles).  And in the year that everyone's complaining about, he still hit better on the road than he did at home.  Same for 2018.  He's lead the league in stolen bases twice.  Bregman doesn't have much playing time before 2017 but he was the 2nd overall pick in 2015, the skill set is there.

People are acting like they all of a sudden became good players and all the good things they did were because someone banged on a trashcan to alert them for what pitches were coming and that they'd be .220 hitters otherwise.  That's not the case.  In Altuve's case in particular, he was on his way to being this generation's version of Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn or Ichiro.  

EDIT:  Bregman was a better hitter on the road in 2017 and 2019.  Players home/road splits aren't consistent from year to year, unless you're Stan Musial (1,815 hits at home, 1,815 hits on the road) and even then, his rate metrics are varied enough in the OBP and slugging departments.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks for the analysis Spiffy.  I wasn't suggesting that Altuve wouldn't still be damned good, but there is space between damn good and MVP.  I also now find it very suspicious that he signed the one of the most team friendly deals ever. 

He signed that first deal so early in his career that they had him over a barrel at the end of it, with multiple option years for under 10 million.

That deal was so bad he fired his agent and hired Boras. Whom was his agent before he signed that deal. 

So when he signed that second extension, the first one encompassing free agent years, the beginning of the deal included those terrible option years, just guaranteed.

it isn't until THIS season that the real money part of the deal comes in at 5/145. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meanwhile in European soccer, Man City was busted for cheating and their punishment was huge: two year ban from Champions League(it'd be like banning the Astros from the postseason)and a $30 Mil euro fine.

Manfred is a joke.

How does one cheat at soccer?  Flop better than the rest when the tiniest amount of contact is made?  

• Haha 3

I don't get what Manfred is doing now. He could have said "promising immunity for players was a mistake. However, without that there would have been no participation from players. We need to discuss this in the upcoming cba talks" and while still a cop out, he's not providing cover for Houston. 

What's the deal with Boston also? Any other teams mentioned recently? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

So players who throw at astros players will be punished harder than the players who cheated?

Manfred gots to go, he aint built for this 

That's basically his take now. I'm not suggesting players bean them over and over. I'd rather see these players take control of their own union to hold these players accountable.