Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS SIGN T ERECK FLOWERS

TK

March 18, 2018

REDSKINS SIGN T ERECK FLOWERS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent tackle Ereck Flowers. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Flowers (6-6, 334) was originally drafted by the New York Giants in the first round (No. 9 overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 59 career regular season games with 55 starts.

Last season, Flowers played in 13 games and started nine games in which he appeared. He opened the season with the Giants before signing with the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 6.

In his first three seasons with the Giants from 2014-17, he started all 46 games in which he appeared, helping New York average 339.0 yards per game in those three years.

Flowers played collegiately at the University of Miami from 2012-14, appearing in 38 career games with 28 starts. He was selected All-Atlantic Coast Conference by the league's coaches and the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association.

Flowers, 24, attended Norland H.S. in Miami, Fla., where he helped lead the Vikings to an undefeated record (15-0) and a Class 5A football state championship. He was born on April 25, 1994.

Ereck Flowers has the chance to turn his career around in Washington maybe playing Guard could be it.  If Brandon Scherff played Tackle he may have struggled it was a great move having him playing Guard.  If it works 4 million would be a steal for a starting Guard when Scherff gets his knew contract it will be well over 10 million per year. Just maybe Bill Callahan can work his magic.

$4 Million????  I mean we could have had Ha-Ha (paid $3.5 million), who was someone we wanted to start, for that much. It is the same rate we are paying Peterson. Was there any other team that would have paid more than veteran minimum? I don't mind signing him but for that much? I don't get it.

17 minutes ago, nonniey said:

$4 Million????  I mean we could have had Ha-Ha (paid $3.5 million), who was someone we wanted to start, for that much. It is the same rate we are paying Peterson. Was there any other team that would have paid more than veteran minimum? I don't mind signing him but for that much? I don't get it.

HaHa took less to be with Chicago because he wanted a ring.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

HaHa took less to be with Chicago because he wanted a ring.

If we offered him a 1 year deal as well for $500k more than Chicago was offering I suspect he'd be a Redskin. That said here is hoping over $3 million of Flowers offer are for incentives (real incentives like making the Probowl).

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

If we offered him a 1 year deal as well for $500k more than Chicago was offering I suspect he'd be a Redskin. That said here is hoping over $3 million of Flowers offer are for incentives (real incentives like making the Probowl).

I mean, Bidgwater turned down more with his hometown team to stay with the Saints.  Hard to blame him, its not always as simple as money.

7 hours ago, nonniey said:

He won't get anywhere near 4m, it will be more like 1m guaranteed with incentives to get to 4m. Peterson is similar only carrying a 2.5m cap figure. We have made 4 signings so far and the cap hits are 4m, 2.5m, .750m and 1m. 8.25m cap hit. Leaves us around 15m cap space. 

HTTR 

We still have some free agency holdouts among the fan base, I see lol...

- Every FA signing is supposed to be starter quality that fills a hole...

- No FA is ever signed to compete for a roster spot, if they're signed it's because the Skins' decision makers are convinced that player is the answer...

- Waiting for contract details is for suckers, the initial amount reported is all you need to know to form an opinion...

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

Nobody wanted ha ha here....ha ha horrible

55 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Image result for jeff goldblum shit gif

Yeah... he was pretty awful, but there is certainly a glimmer for him at guard.

I cant speak to the last 4 years in NY, but coming out of Miami, he was only 20 and had some redeeming quality's.

- MASSIVE and STRONG man. heavy hands and stays on his blocks

- While not quite Scherff level of "Nasty", he actually does have a little attitude to him...GOOD

- TERRIBLE feet in Pass blocking, but actually moves well getting to the 2nd level on Line backers.

Fact is, his ability to stay back as a Tackle and read the defender as well as move his feet efficiently are TERRIBLE. Thats what doomed him at Tackle.

Now, He still has issues with his punch and EXPLODING them onto Defender, and his pad level is questionable at best.

But its worth a shot to get a guy that big, athletic, and mean

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

There was more money to be had but he took less to play in Chicago. As the other person he took LESS money to go to Chicago.

Here are two quotes from him. It gives insight to his thoughts on the Redskins organization and about the money available. Here is the full article. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-sp-clinton-dix-bears-20190318-story.html

“It was definitely hard to turn down the money, but the only thing God has always harped is, ‘Don’t love the money.’ It’s just another part of my journey and I’m excited about it,” Clinton-Dix said. “A lot of teams were interested and it was just about making the right decision. It wasn’t about the money. … I just had to look at the situation."

“It was almost like going back to high school and picking a college. With not having a say-so in the NFL draft (2014), this just gave me an opportunity as a free agent to explore different organizations,” Clinton-Dix said. “Coming from Green Bay, a top organization and seeing how things were run there and then to go to Washington to give me a feel for a different organization, I came out knowing exactly what I wanted from an NFL organization … and that is to be successful and have a chance to win a championship.”

Doesn't take a genius to see he did not like what he saw in Washington. Now in fairness he was good friends with DJ. But still, he referenced GB as a top organization - even though they traded him mid-season and referenced Washington as a "different organization" and elected to take less money to go elsewhere even though the Redskins traded for him. 

So no, $500k would not have put him back in a Redskins uniform. 

Let me tell you lads a little story I like to call "The Ballad of Big Mike Williams"

No... not one of the receiving Mike Williams'.... but the Tackle Mike Williams who was the 4th pick in the NFL draft in 2002.

He bounced around from city to city and buffet to buffet in the early years of his career.  Then was out of football for a time before coming to work for Coach Keeping it Medium, himself.  He weighed over 400lbs when he showed up to Redskins camp, eventually dropping a ton of weight so that he could play guard, where he played really well to be fair.

Unfortunately he had a bad ticker and had to retire.  

I get the same vibe from this signing - no tangible reason other than I just feel like it's going to work out.  Flowers is also much younger than Big Mike was when he showed up.  If he can be motivated then he could work out.

I don't think Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff are going to let anyone half-ass their way on this offensive line.

25 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How many times do we see players leave one team and have a nice career with another.... Antonio Pierce anyone.... I'll reserve judgment.

Difference is Pierce was a very good player with Redskins as well. 

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

How many times do we see players leave one team and have a nice career with another.... Antonio Pierce anyone.... I'll reserve judgment.

Hmmm..if I remember correctly, Pierce had a very nice career with Washington

Edit: I will say I will hold out hope that new coaches will get better results

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Wes Welker, David Akers, Andre Carter, Graham Gano, Dustin Hopkins, Michael Turner, James Farrior, Mike Vrabel, DeAngelo Hall, Kurt Warner, and Brett Favre.

Those are the local or famous ones anyway. Not many people get mentioned nationally for turning a bust or a nobody into an average player.

Archived