Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Landon Collins and the #21 debate...  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Should Landon Collins Be The First Redskin To Wear #21 Since Sean Taylor?

• Yes, his genuine admiration for ST21 has been well-documented. Let him pay homage to the Legend!
    • No, #21 is off-limits forever.
    • Perhaps in the future... but Landon must earn it on the field as a Redskin first.

I don't have a problem with him wearing #21 or #36.  Smoot wore #21 before Taylor, so did Terry Allen.  DJ and Cravens both wore #36 too.  It was extremely sad and horrible what happened to him, especially knowing he was in the process of turning his life around with Gibbs help. 

But honestly, it's been over 11 years since his passing and since anyone wore #21 as a Redskin.  It's time to move on imo and hope another player can make it as great as it was from 2005-2007.  Just for reference, Taylor wore #26 in college and #1 in HS (from what I could tell in a highlight film).  He wore four different jersey numbers from HS, college and NFL.  

He was one of my favorite playersand is greatly missed, but another player wearing his jersey # isn't the end of the world, imo.

20 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

The poll is irrelevant. The only thing that has changed is that people don't care about the Redskins. We've been over this before.  

The only way it shouldn't be allowed to be worn is if #21 is officially retired (which it isn't) or they apply "Monk Rules" to the jersey # and allow his family (parents/daughter/girlfriend) decide and give permission to wear it.  

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He was good. What happened to him was a tragedy. But he is now ridiculously overrated because he was murdered. Maybe that's OK...but it's true. 

I think this is a very good point.

Here is my overview and thoughts of Sean Taylor...

He made plays.. had some interceptions..alot of highlights to wow us. I loved his size..how he used it. It seemed he started his life down a rocky road than began straightening it out with the birth of his daughter. 

I've already explained myself a few times when a player makes a play to seal the deal on a win or makes a play to give us more points than the other team to give us the win, especially when the team we beat is a heated divisional rival that player becomes a legend in my eyes.

Legends to me: 

Troy Vincent

Preston Smith

Clinton Portis

Chris Cooley 

Santana Moss

Sean Taylor.. just to name a few.

The year Sean passed we were playing the cowboys..we lost and Sean was out injured.. wasn't even at the stadium.. it sucked it was a slow painful loss and I truly believed that had Sean Taylor played we could have won.. the whole game all I could think about was Sean Taylor not playing. I was so fixated on it and I don't know why. Right shortly after he was murdered I felt so awful for being so greedy so demanding of him having to play.. so when he passed it hit home for me.

31 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

The poll is irrelevant. The only thing that has changed is that people don't care about the Redskins. We've been over this before.  

No, I dont think we have. I find it hard to believe that 21 people ALL dont care about the Redskins, and yet you state it like it's a fact. 

22 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

No, I dont think we have. I find it hard to believe that 21 people ALL dont care about the Redskins, and yet you state it like it's a fact. 

We have, though. What I meant to say was, people care a lot less about the Redskins. 

I voted yes to letting Collins wear "21" if he so desires.

I loved Sean Taylor when he was here. Had he lived, he probably would've been one of the greatest safties, one of the best defensive players ever. Maybe even a hall of famer. Who knows.

It was to the right thing to do for the Redskins to take his number out of circulation for a while out of respect.

However, to me, now it is time to bring it back. Past time, really.

Retiring numbers, or putting them on the shelf, is an honor bestowed upon those players that were truly special and made vast accomplishments to that team.

Sean Taylor wasn't here long enough, didn't accomplish enough, to have that distinction. To me, it cheapens the honor to those that really accomplished a lot here. Players like Sammy Baugh, John Riggins, Art Monk, Darrell Green, etc.

I think the team should find another way to honor Sean Taylor, but I believe it is past time to put "21" back into circulation.

The revisionist history on Taylor is ridiculous.  Go back to the archives and see what people were saying prior to his death.  My tune never, ever changed.  He isn't an idol to this generation or considered a generational player by the previous one because he was killed.  Nobody said that about McNair, that all of a sudden he's handing Joe Montana his jock strap.

Some of you guys think Sean was somehow posthumously awarded praise.

The rest of us were paying attention.

I don't have a problem with him wearing 21...I'm thankful that we didn't just say "meh" right off the bat and end up having a string of mediocre players wearing 21 over the past 12 years, though.  I like that we haven't seen 21 out there at all. The next time we see a "21" run onto the field it should not be because "Eh, Sean Taylor is overrated because he was killed, so let someone else wear it"...

I also don't have a problem with unofficially "retiring" Taylor's number due to his being murdered...that's real life that negates any football-related arguments for or against having someone else wear Sean's jersey number. I'm fine either way. To me, #7 will always be Theismann, no matter who else wears it. #44 will always be Riggins, #81 will always be Monk, #28 will always be Green, #17 will always be Williams...#21 will always be Sean Taylor. I have no other emotional connection to those numbers other than those specific, individual players. So let him wear it, don't let him wear it...doesn't really matter to me either way.

But if they are gonna let someone wear it, I'm glad it's someone who cried at being given a game-worn jersey autographed by Taylor. If it takes him a half an hour to compose himself after receiving it, then I think we can start to understand why some fans don't see it as "just a number."

59 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

You've been here since 2016.

This discussion has been going on since November 28, 2007.

Yes, we've been over this before ad nauseum, and here we go again.

I played enough football growing up to remember we wore jersey numbers in honor of our favorite players.  I'm all for letting the big rich kids that still play football do the same thing.  Nobody's opinion of Sean Taylor will change if the #21 is once again roaming the Redskins secondary.  I think it couldn't be a better fit than Landon Collins.  Sean Taylor was a great football player, potentially a HOFer if his career (and life) didn't end tragically short; but he was just a football player.  Redskin fans will never forget him, regardless of what happens to the #21; I'm all for seeing it bring the big hits back on Sundays.

If it were disrespectful to wear #21 then the Redskins should retire the number.

Everyone loved ST and his short career was tragic.  Hell, he got murdered protecting his wife and kid.  It heroic and tragic. Nobody is going to forget him.  

It has nothing to do with #21 on a jersey.  If the team and organization and fans want to retire #21 then do it.  Snyder already handed him #21.  Period.  Done. 

If you're angry, be angry at Snyder for handing him #21.

53 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

You've been here since 2016.

This discussion has been going on since November 28, 2007.

Yes, we've been over this before ad nauseum, and here we go again.

I've been a lurker since 2005, the discussion tone has changed greatly since then and tbh it's a touchy subject that isnt brought up a lot because for some reason it gets some people WAY to fired up. 

There are plenty of other numbers that players can choose from. I believe time has a persistant and eroding effect on memories and important events. If these important memories and events are not preserved with some intentional homage they will disappear from importance and relevance and frankly from our memories over time. IMO Sean's number being off limits is an example of paying homage and is key in the preservation of his place in Redskins history.  

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

The revisionist history on Taylor is ridiculous.  Go back to the archives and see what people were saying prior to his death.  My tune never, ever changed.  He isn't an idol to this generation or considered a generational player by the previous one because he was killed.  Nobody said that about McNair, that all of a sudden he's handing Joe Montana his jock strap.

Some of you guys think Sean was somehow posthumously awarded praise.

The rest of us were paying attention.

Yeah I don't get that either. The year he died he was easily one of the best defensive players in the NFL, if not a DPOY candidate. He had always been a one man wrecking crew and playmaker but that season he'd transformed into a truly elite all around player at every level that an offense had to account for on every snap. During the 2007 season when he was playing that single high safety role he was essentially shutting down the entire deep half of the field all on his own because of his instincts, range, and vision. 

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I don't get that either. The year he died he was easily one of the best defensive players in the NFL, if not a DPOY candidate. He had always been a one man wrecking crew and playmaker but that season he'd transformed into a truly elite all around player at every level that an offense had to account for on every snap. During the 2007 season when he was playing that single high safety role he was essentially shutting down the entire deep half of the field all on his own because of his instincts, range, and vision. 

Right.

Other than 2006, the year Grilliams defense was trash because of numerous Injuries, forcing Taylor to play cleanup everywhere on the field (I think he had an insane number of tackles that year too), he was a routine playmaker pretty much since the moment he put that Skins jersey on.

In '07 he was playing like one of the best in football overall, and was on pace probably for double digit Int's and a DPOY for sure. No spin at all there, really. Wasn't like you needed to go to pff (I know it didn't exist yet, but still...) to know how great a player he waa. It was self evident

Archived